• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gal Gadot to Play Wonder Woman in ‘Batman vs. Superman’

Status
Not open for further replies.
gal-gadot-in-bed_99875-1400x1050.jpg

she looks diana-ish here. her wikipedia states she served as a sports trainer during her two year service with the israeli army, so it's not like she's someone without any experience of rigorous training. i have no doubt she can start eating and training for the role like every other actor/actress does.

i wont give up hope for this movie to be better than the first just yet. lynn collins would've been better, but what we have now...isn't tooooo terrible.
LMAO! Funny thing about that picture... it turned up on deviantART months ago, as a photoshop of Gadot into WW.

After seeing it, I went on Google to look up the woman and see who she was... and found her wanting. Thin. She certainly has an attractive face, and if she bulks up for the role (and I'm not talking about tone, I'm talking about actually adding mass to her physique to avoid the rib-and-collarbone look that's so chic right now) then I could certainly see her potential as a Diana. Bur right now, the face is there and that's all.

aly

Way too many people in this movie already. Also where is my curvy wonder woman. This woman has a nice face but she is super thin. What do you have against curvy women Hollywood????!!! :(

Toa TAK

Banned
The casting doesn't phase me so much as Wonder Woman actually being a character in the film (just like Batman). =\

Rather it be another solo Superman film, but on the other hand, I am happy that Wonder Woman is getting a chance to be on the big screen. That's one small step.

This is a bad idea for many reasons.

1. She is not physically a fit for wonder woman both in looks and size
2. She is not even a remotely good actress. Granted you don't need a super talented actress to play a super hero as they all have the emotional depth of a qtip but it's like they aren't even trying
3. With both Batman and Superman in this movie they really don't need another character
4. Snyder/Goyer will inevitably fuck this up keeping us from getting a solo Wonder Woman film any time in the next 10 years

ReiGun

We literally just had the Superman origin in the previous movie in this series. The fact that people already know these characters is provably not a factor.

The Avengers worked because they didn't feel like they had to explain the characters, because they'd already been set up. They don't have to, but Synder and co. are going to attempt to explain who Diana is in this movie, and it's going to crush under its own weight.

The first forty or so minutes of the movie is them explaining the characters. It would have been really terrible writing if they didn't; you can't just assume everyone watched all the other movies.

OMFG!!! WONDER WOMAN IS GOING TO BE IN A LIVE ACTION MOVIE!!!

Gal Gadot? The chick from Fast & Furious series? She was in the Army? I don't see it!
We don't need a marine for the role. We need an actor. Also, Jaime Alexander would have been perfect.

Also, would be interesting if she does indeed act as a Mercy Graves type character. Bruce hires Diana to act as Lex's bodyguard and they shouldn't explain why she can take a Kryptonian in hand to hand combat. Lex would call her, "A beautiful mystery." I can already imagine a scene where Superman approaches Lex but is suddenly thrown across the room by this strange woman.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If they wanted an actual actress they should have just approached Eva Green and tell her to hit the gym.

Then again, half of the male population would have perished from masturbation by the time her stand alone movie debuted.

MisterHero

Also for those concerned about muscle I'd like someone to answer a question. If Wonder Woman is suppose to be gifted with her power why would she look like she spent 4 or 5 days out of the week in the gym while drinking muscle supplements? Why wouldn't she be thin if she's had no major reason to get bulked up over her life? Even thin she should still be super strong capable of being in a fight with someone like Superman.
Diana is a living representation of the Greek [and/or Roman?] gods. So not only would she have Aphrodite's beauty, she would have Athena's athleticism, etc.

Blader said:
I have no idea who this is, but why is WW in this movie? It's packed enough as is.
lol watch her cameo be a post-movie scene

If they wanted an actual actress they should have just approached Eva Green and tell her to hit the gym.

Then again, half of the male population would have perished from masturbation by the time her stand alone movie debuted.

And people say you can't sell a Wonder Woman movie...

So the rumors are true and DC is even more desperate than I thought to get a Justice League film out in 2017/2018. Might as well cram the rest of the Justice League in there at this point, if they're already cramming at least three films' worth of character introduction and world-building into one.

Trying to copy the Marvel direction is going to ruin these DC movies moving forward...not that they've been perfect as is. But this feels really shoehorned in. How the hell is Wonder Woman showing up out of nowhere?

I hope Hollywood keeps this gimmick restricted to the superhero films.

Diana is a living representation of the Greek [and/or Roman?] gods. So not only would she have Aphrodite's beauty, she would have Athena's athleticism, etc.

Good point. She shouldn't be a brawn-hilda but rather built like a Female Athlete/Long Jumper or Shot Put player.

Effect

Like with Affleck remember we don't know what the story is going to be or what future events are planned. Casting is influenced by this. So just wait and see how this plays out if you have any concerns.

Do you mean Artemis? I thought Athena was goddess of wisdom and sometimes war. Which still means she should be athletic, not bulked up. Like said she will be hitting the gym regardless in order to do stunts so she'll build more muscle but shouldn't look that different.

Soybean

This is going to be the biggest cinematic catastrophe in history. Hopefully this is the collapse that will divorce Goyer and Snyder from DC once and for all. Or better yet, convince Time Warner to sell DC to Disney where its IP can be treated with respect.

The first forty or so minutes of the movie is them explaining the characters. It would have been really terrible writing if they didn't; you can't just assume everyone watched all the other movies.

Ehhh, it was more of an introduction than anything. They don't really in-depth with exposition like "this man fought in WW2", "this is a thunder god who lives in another realm and this is his brother with major daddy issues, here's how that all works", "here's why this man has a robot suit of armour" - they re-introduced their characters and their backgrounds with the kind of subtlety that only having 90+ minutes of prior screentime for each character allows. It was more recall. One of the biggest criticisms of the Avengers is how much it does assume you've watched the other films, actually.

That said, I don't think introducing WW here is an automatically unmountable obstacle, just a massive ballache, for the creator to get right and for the viewer if it's handled wrong. It all leads back in the astonishing lack of confidence Goyer and Snyder inspire in most of us.

Antje Traue would also have been a good choice. When they auditioned her for Faora they should have made the offer, "Sorry, we can't give you this role. However we do have another planned. How do you feel about playing Wonder Woman?" She would have fainted from excitement.

Liamario

Banned
I'm going to go ahead and ignore anything the fanboys have to say about this casting. They're too emotional invested and as such, aren't thinking rationally.

ReiGun

So the rumors are true and DC is even more desperate than I thought to get a Justice League film out in 2017/2018. Might as well cram the rest of the Justice League in there at this point, if they're already cramming at least three films' worth of character introduction and world-building into one.

Might as well have just made a fucking JLA movie instead of trying to ape Marvel for no good reason.

Ehhh, it was more of an introduction than anything. They don't really in-depth with exposition like "this man fought in WW2", "this is a thunder god who lives in another realm and this is his brother with major daddy issues, here's how that all works", "here's why this man has a robot suit of armour" - they re-introduced their characters and their backgrounds with the kind of subtlety that only having 90+ minutes of prior screentime for each character allows. It was more recall. One of the biggest criticisms of the Avengers is how much it does assume you've watched the other films, actually.

That said, I don't think introducing WW here is an automatically unmountable obstacle, just a massive ballache, for the creator to get right and for the viewer if it's handled wrong. It all leads back in the astonishing lack of confidence Goyer and Snyder inspire in most of us.
Well, yeah. I'm not saying they did a full featurette on each one, but to say the movie didn't explain them at all would false. It gave the crib notes version, and for most people - because as already noted, there are quite a few people who saw the Avengers before they saw they others - that was enough. Because really, these characters are not that deep that not knowing every nitty gritty detail of who they are is going to stand in the way of you enjoying seeing them punch stuff.

I've enjoyed Gal Gadot in other films. Should be interesting to see how she does here. I'm glad also that any consideration of how Wonder Woman looks in the comics was tossed out as well. That was never going to work and it's something I'm glad they didn't look to to much when it came to the animated film they did.

This is complete nonsense you are acting like wonder woman that is depicted in comics is unattainable which is not true. They had the perfect female actor to play wonder woman(Lucy Lawless) they just waited until she got too old to play the part. Even Gina Carano looks like she was built for the role despite her lack of acting talent.

I love her accent in the Fast & Furious films but never seen her interviewed so not sure if that was just for the films or if she has one normally.

She has an accent.

I do expect some hate from people saying she doesn't look the part but acting ability is more important. Also they were never going to cast someone that looked the way Wonder Woman does in present day comics. That's a complete unrealistic and unacceptable design to begin with when doing a live action version of the character.

Yes because they picked Gal Gadot for acting ability. Shes pretty and probably gonna be a cheap addition to the cast. If they were serious about acting ability they should have went after Jennifer Lawrence.

Veelk

Banned

Reviewing the characters, maybe, establishing their basic personalities. It didn't mean that we understood why Tony became Iron Man or who are the people Steve left behind. Those things are important to fully understand where the characters come from, and I do think that any of the avengers that had a movie have a huge presence over Hawkeye and Black Widow who didn't.

Reviewing WW and this new Batman will hinder the movie, of that there is no doubt. Maybe not outright kill the movie (Synder's shitty writing/directing will do that), but hinder it, definitely

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Traditionally? Yes. She is smaller than the Amazons. For whatever reason, most people believe she needs to be ripped.

Her typical look is decidedly statuesque and very toned. Not ripped like a bodybuilder, but built like an off-season fitness champion.

2013: Man of Steel
2015: Man of Tomorrow
2017-2018: The Last Son of Krypton

This was my ideal scenario.

Why Snyder? WHY!?

because they want marvel bucks and introducing the trinity in this movie is an alright way of getting things set up for justice league, which will make marvel bucks.

Baki

At this point I'd be happier if DC concentrated its efforts on the small screen. Barring heavy hitters like Superman and Batman, pretty much every character in DC's roster could have his/her own TV show. Arrow works incredibly well and Wonder Woman could be even better if they gave her an actual budget and some HBO production values.

I want Arrow to make a cameo appearance.

Chichikov

she looks diana-ish here. her wikipedia states she served as a sports trainer during her two year service with the israeli army, so it's not like she's someone without any experience of rigorous training. i have no doubt she can start eating and training for the role like every other actor/actress does.
I don't know what experience she has, but being a sport instructor in the IDF doesn't necessarily require rigorous anything, and for celebrities/beauty queens it usually barely require doing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom