• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Gal Gun Returns for Xbox One cancelled (due to MS censorship)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet Club

Oct 24, 2017

Gal Gun Returns for Xbox One cancelled​

Inti Creates "unable to ensure consistency" on Xbox

Developer Inti Creates has cancelled the Xbox One version of Gal Gun Returns, citing an inability to “ensure consistency” on the platform following a discussion with Microsoft.

“As a remaster of the original Gal Gun, we wanted to strive to ensure that we stayed true to the spirit of the first entry in the Gal Gun series,” Inti Creates said in a statement, “and while development of the Xbox version was complete and the master ROM under review, it became apparent, after productive discussion with Microsoft, that we would be unable to ensure consistency of experience across all platforms.”

Gal Gun Returns is due out for Switch in Japan and Asia on January 28, 2021, followed by Switch in the west and PC via Steam on February 12.

Get the full message on the Xbox One version’s cancellation below.

Cancellation of the Xbox One release of Gal Gun Returns

Today we would like to announce that we will no longer be releasing Gal Gun Returns on the Xbox family of consoles.

As a remaster of the original Gal Gun, we wanted to strive to ensure that we stayed true to the spirit of the first entry in the Gal Gun series, and while development of the Xbox version was complete and the master ROM under review, it became apparent, after productive discussion with Microsoft, that we would be unable to ensure consistency of experience across all platforms.

As a result we have decided to re-focus attention to Nintendo Switch and PC for the upcoming release of Gal Gun Returns.

We understand the disappointment from everyone who was looking forward to playing the game on Xbox One, and would like to thank everyone for their ongoing support.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this change in the planned release. We hope you enjoy the Gal*Gun experience on other platforms.
We look forward to continuing working with Microsoft on other PQube releases going forward.

Source: Gematsu

K.S v2.0

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
Japan isn't going to fold to this censorship, their general expectations on sold units are already low compared to the expectations in the West. If it can turn a few hundred thousand sales on Switch and PC, they'll be happy and call it a day.

The only losers in this are MS and Sony.

Greeno

Jun 14, 2020
This is the Q/A on content restrictions by ID@Xbox:

"When you’re ready to submit a game to ID@Xbox, we’ll send you a Game Information Form to complete, telling us more about your title. While we’re not trying to be censors, we’re also not interested in enabling extremely vulgar, offensive, or objectionable games. In terms of content, we’re looking for games that feel at home on their target platform and that reflect what customers expect when gaming on Xbox One or Windows."

Last edited:
Reactions: smorgasbird

Sparhavoc

Sep 4, 2020

"When you’re ready to submit a game to ID@Xbox, we’ll send you a Game Information Form to complete, telling us more about your title. While we’re not trying to be censors, we’re also not interested in enabling extremely vulgar, offensive, or objectionable games. In terms of content, we’re looking for games that feel at home on their target platform and that reflect what customers expect when gaming on Xbox One or Windows."
So microsoft are their own worst enemy then

Kimahri

Jul 27, 2020

What customers expect? I expect not being treated like a child in need of protection by puritanical parents. That's what I expect.

I can take care of myself, thanks.

I have no interest in this specific game, but the principle of it all.

Jun 23, 2020
It's probably canceled from sheer embarrassment. Shit's cringe "moan shooter".

Censorship sucks, but don't defend every turd possible out of principle. Nothing of value was lost this time.
It's not my kind of game either but man, if the game exists it's clear it's because there's people who buy them, and those poor lads deserve better than goddamn censorship.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jun 7, 2004
Uhm...

Genius... we are not censoring you, we are simply not enabling you to reach our audience with content we do not agree with... big difference :LOL:.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

Feb 26, 2019
Italy
twinfinite.net
It's probably canceled from sheer embarrassment. Shit's cringe "moan shooter".

Censorship sucks, but don't defend every turd possible out of principle. Nothing of value was lost this time.

Censorship is unacceptable in principle.

Either you have principles, or you don't. You can't say "censorship sucks" and then saying that at times it's ok in the same paragraph.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Mar 26, 2007
Poland
Censorship sucks in principle.

Either you have principles, or you don't. You can't say "censorship sucks" and then saying that at times it's ok.
Where did I say that?

I'm saying this turd is a bad example to defend. Better games get censored. Having principles doesn't mean one has to defend every worthless example. It'll just belittle the whole "anti-censorship" case.

Greeno

Jun 14, 2020
Is this a situation similar to how Hatred got banned from many platforms? Does the game specifically focus on sexual stuff? Hatred got banned from many platforms because the main objective of that game was to kill as many people as you can (that is basically the narrative of the story).

Abriael_GN

Feb 26, 2019
Italy
twinfinite.net
So I don't know much about Gal Gun. What's "objectionable" by american standards?

Not that it matters much, age ratings are there for a reasons, and this incrwasing trend of sanitising shit is really starting to bug me.

Don't watch at work lol.

It's pretty damn cringe, but no more cringe than three lowlifes robbing, killing, and running people over with cars in a fake American west coast city. 🤔

I'm saying this turd is a bad example to defend.

Either you're against censorship at all times, or you're enabling it.

Last edited:

onnextflix5

Jun 6, 2019
Japan isn't going to fold to this censorship, their general expectations on sold units are already low compared to the expectations in the West. If it can turn a few hundred thousand sales on Switch and PC, they'll be happy and call it a day.

The only losers in this are MS and Sony.
Bad news they already have, sony now ,nintendo is just one scandal away from games like bayoneta will be banned.

• Triggered
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

GrayFoxPL

Mar 26, 2007
Poland

Don't watch at work lol.

It's pretty damn cringe, but no more cringe than three lowlifes robbing, killing, and running people over with cars in a fake American west coast city. 🤔

Oh god.

Yeah, sure. I'm enabling censorship.

Let me just say that no one will take anti censorship seriously if games like these will be prime examples to defend. It's a laughingstock of a case.

It's better to fight censorship like the one China inflicts on all gaming world then embarrassing shit like this.

Abriael_GN

Feb 26, 2019
Italy
twinfinite.net
Oh god.

Let me just say that no one will take anti censorship seriously if games like these will be prime examples to defend. It's a laughingstock of a case.

It's better to fight censorship like the one China inflicts on all gaming world then embarrassing shit like this.

"Censorship is bad!"

"But only when they censor what I care for." 😂

Sure man. Dig that hole deeper. 🤔

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jun 7, 2004
Oh god.

This is the point, people push for censorhip with fringe examples and now they got the foot in the door to start “deplatforming” things they do not like.

Ulysses 31

Nov 24, 2013
Oh god.

Being a true man of principle means you also defend unpopular examples. Just like free speech advocates defend the right to say racist stuff.

Kimahri

Jul 27, 2020

Don't watch at work lol.

Yeah, that's pretty cringe. I'm not gonna play it, but ffs, me no liking something is not a reason to ban others from playing it.

Thicc Team Six

Master Chief
May 18, 2020
Well I guess we know MSFTs strategy for Japan now. I thought they might try to start making some moves with Sony becoming increasingly western.

Edit: Strange to me that they were so bold about the game upfront and are pulling back now. It was either ok from the beginning or not. Shouldn’t be a decision made this late in development. I don’t know how to interpret this with it being a remaster and a known quantity since the start. If the content is wrong now it was wrong six months ago. Consistency is key.

Last edited:

Clear

Deer/Dur
Feb 2, 2009
The equation is simple: Profit potential versus likelihood of damage due to negative publicity/media blow-back.

Its all very predictable in the current climate.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Jul 5, 2010
Cancun, Mexico.
A while ago I remember hearing this game played like a lightgun shooter so I gave the demo a try on 360 or PS3, (I don't remember which) it was also a game by Inticreates, and those guys make awesome 2D games like Mega Man Zero, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Blaster Master Zero, Bloodstained Curse of the Moon, etc. so there's that, too.

What a snorefest. It was too slow and too easy to be called that. I expected pervy House of the Dead 2, and it wasn't anywhere near that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.