• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

TBWMTGk.png

ry7VxM3.png

Publisher: 17-BIT
Developer: 17-BIT
Composer: Scntfc American
Platform: PS4, PC
Genre: Action / Arcade / Rogue-lite
Rating: E10+
Players: 1
Price: $19.99 (preorder $15.99 with PS+)
Release Date: August 4 (NA PS4), TBA (EU PS4), TBA (PC)
Download Size: 2.4 GB for the initial download and a 2.4 GB patch
uUew2ii.png

80’s spaceship anime and arcade-gaming meld with ultra-modern physics and A.I. in a skill-demanding, procedurally generated rogue-lite adventure! Be the hero in a world that oozes classic Saturday morning anime but plays like a tough, modern, tactical shooter. Try to survive the hostile environments of deep space, battling warring factions full of unique and cunning enemies. Unlock ever more powerful upgrades as you learn the secret of the GALAK-Z, and die and die again as you valiantly struggle to become the ultimate pilot – finally good enough to beat what GALAK-Z throws at you!
Join as we follow the story of our lone pilot named A-Tak, his ship the GALAK-Z, and the support crew aboard the U.S.S. Axelios. The story will follow the cast across an initial four “seasons” of gameplay, with five different “episodes” per season with fully voiced dialogue. A fifth season will launch for free alongside the slated PC release as well!
vjNexgE.png

Per 17-Bit's fact sheet on the game:
Features
  1. “Rogue-lite” structure with hand-tuned, procedurally assembled level elements and enemy placement mean every episode playthrough is unique, but persistent rewards mean no death is wasted (and you will die).
  2. A deep, nuanced control system allows for total control over your ship or mech (did we mention your ship can transform into a giant robot with a move set of its own?)
  3. Cyntient A.I.-powered enemies analyze, communicate about, and react to their environment and the player’s behavior for intense dogfights
  4. Evil Imperials! Deranged Space Pirates! Transforming robots! Itano Circus missile swarms! EXPLOSIONS! LIFE! LOVE! DEATH! DEATH AGAIN!
But that might just be a whole load of fancy PR speak right?! What does that actually mean? Well for a TL;DR, Galak-Z is a game that draws inspiration from the 80s space-anime of yesteryear and stirs it into a a game that has stealth, dog fighting, exploration and MECHS. As a mech, you'll have a laser sword, grapple arm and a directional shield at your disposal. But still, that's too many words and not enough demonstration!
FIGHTER ACTION:
MECH ACTION:
Dogfight. Evade missiles. Use the environment to destroy you foes. Juke out your enemies. Go mech on mech. Use enemies as shields and weapons. Reflect bullets and missiles. Break enemy shields. Learn to wield your sword. The gameplay of Galak-Z really is based on the mech anime that many of us grew up with.

The ways to approach gameplay are huge, and how you choose to play will ultimately be up to your style of play! Be warned though, although the official fact sheet states "no death wasted," if you die before finishing the entirety of a five episode season, you will must restart at the first episode of that season. This means you can have a nicely upgraded ship, get yourself killed and have to start back at square one (the exceptions are if you have five Crash Coins, you can restart a mission that you've died on and try to recover your lost gear, and Crash Coins, Blueprints and other career unlock persist across deaths). So don't go rushing in. The game rewards patience and strategy. The controls are fairly simple, but it will help you to familiarize yourself with them.

TisrYli.png

RjCxiI4.png

twqQAbz.png

1. Wasn't there a Vita version in the works? What happened to that?
    There was, but it has been cancelled.
  2. Where is the European version?
    Yesterday (Aug. 2), Jake from the 17-Bit team came onto GAF and said they were hoping to get final word on the European launch today (Aug. 3rd).
  3. Also, where is the PC version?
    The PC version is slated for later this fall.
  4. I just can’t wait for the game to drop. What should I do until then?
    Catch up on your anime yo. Sit down and watch (or rematch) Macross for starters! I’d say Robotech is a great alternative, but nah. Screw Harmony Gold and their legal shenanigans. Voltron and Yamato/Starblazers are also cited as influences of the game so those might also be worth your time!
  5. When are reviews going up?
    Impressions/preview coverage of the review build are embargoed until Monday (Aug. 3rd) at 9am PST, and reviews themselves are embargoed until Tuesday (Aug. 4th) at 9am PST.
  6. PSN sucks, I can't find the game on the store, help!
    Follow this link to find it on the USA PSN.
  7. Is preload up in NA?
    Yes!
  8. Got anything else to add?
    Two quick words of thanks. First, thanks to MattKeil for coming up with our [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173093330&postcount=244”]awesome OT title[/URL]. Second, thanks to 17-Bit themselves. Usually I have to go track down artwork and screenshots from developer’s sites and review outlets. However, after a quick email I sent their way, 17-Bit graciously sent me the art asset pack which saved me a ton of time.
VvXWg1e.png

Polygon - 9/10: http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/5/9102179/galak-z-review-ps4
The occasional technical hiccup aside, Galak-Z is a brilliant take on so many different genres, but it's the game's roguelike innovations that make it soar. Some lesser entries in the genre use permadeath as a blunt tool, wielded to tack some artificial length onto a repetitive slog. Galak-Z is going to kill you back to a season premiere constantly, but not for lack of content — it's part of a laser-focused intent to make Galak-Z as tense and thrilling a game as can possibly be.
Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/08/04/review-galak-z/161411/
Galak-Z is the very definition of awesome. Playing it makes me feel like the badass intergalactic pilot I always dreamed of being as a kid, and I love it even more because it makes me work for that ecstasy. No battle is scripted, nothing is choreographed – my skills do all the talking. 17-Bit’s physics-based space roguelike is a truly special experience on PS4, one that has the potential to become the flagship indie title on a platform bursting with incredible creations. It rewards patience, skill and creativity, and absolutely deserves your time regardless of your relationship with ’80s anime or 2D shooters.
Atomix - 89/100: http://atomix.vg/2015/08/05/review-galak-z-the-dimensional/
With a very well designed gameplay, excellent use of its environments and hard challenges, Galak-Z: The Dimensional becomes one of the best modern roguelikes with fresh elements, nice presentation and extremely fun and addictive gameplay.
Gamestop - 8/10: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/galak-z-the-dimensional-review/1900-6416210/
But in the end, Galak-Z is about learning as you go, and making the best of what you have. It's a layered, complex system, and even now, 20 hours after I started it, there are upgrades I haven't found, techniques I haven't practiced, and possibilities I haven't considered. Galak-Z pummelled me, knocked me to the ground and kicked me when I was down. But when I finally got the upper hand, and beat the final season with only a sliver of health left, the victory was all the more rewarding.
Attack of the Fanboy - 4/5: http://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/galak-z-the-dimensional-review/
A rogue-lite with more substance than most, Galak-Z is equal parts brutal and beautiful. If you can hang in long enough to conquer the steep difficulty curve, what lies within is a rewarding, nostalgic trip.
Destructoid - 7/10: http://www.destructoid.com/review-galak-z-the-dimensional-297236.phtml
I wish Galak-Z: The Dimensional wasn't so fragmented, because the core experience is a treat for roguelike and space combat fans alike. Even 15 hours through I was still seeing new items and upgrades, which is a testament to its lasting power, warts and all -- I just need to take breaks from the tedium every so often.

SerTapTap

Looks like the impressions embargo is up! I like the control in this game a lot more than I was expecting, I HATE asteroids controls but the control in this makes a lot more sense and is a lot more involved. Takes a bit to click but it works.

Can't comment too much more, the day one patch released just today which addresses performance issues. Can't comment on performance until I play the new code. Plus I only finished a season last night. I do love the 80s anime presentation though.

jkooXL

PRESS FOLKS

Quick update, if you pulled down the promo build the first few hours it was live last night (like 6-9 hours ago) it was somehow the weeks old, unoptimized version of the game. Please delete your game and re-download it for the actual shipping version. Thank you!!

SerTapTap

PRESS FOLKS

Quick update, if you pulled down the promo build the first few hours it was live last night (like 6-9 hours ago) it was somehow the weeks old, unoptimized version of the game. Please delete your game and re-download it for the actual shipping version. Thank you!!

Heheh, I wondered what happened there. Can't wait to try the real deal tonight.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This has been one of my most anticipated games for like two years now. Can't wait till it comes out on a platform I own. Have fun, PS4 folks!

Ah, now that the OT is finished and the embargo is up, I can say: the game is good stuff.

I've played through the 5th episode of the second season. The story isn't anything too new so far, but it's competently done, and it never hinders the main attraction of the game, which is of course the gameplay. The controls feel pretty floaty at first, and you'll do well to take the time to actually get used to them before rushing it. But once they click, they really click.
PRESS FOLKS

I just downloaded this and it does make a difference. I'm impressed that the old, unoptimized build was running so well!

I got the Fangamer Galak-Z shirt the day they released it, got a ton of questions about it. "It's a game that's not out yet" is such a douchey thing to say, I'm excited to actually be able to direct people to the game soon. This is one of my most anticipated titles.

SO READY, GUYS.

canedaddy

I've been on the fence (doubtful my old man reflexes can handle a game like this) but finally broke down and just preordered.

I'm still hurt that it's not coming to the Vita.

Also any more impressions of the game?

I want to get it before the preorder discouint expires but I want to read more impressions before I get it.

SerTapTap

I've been on the fence (doubtful my old man reflexes can handle a game like this) but finally broke down and just preordered.

I think the game isn't as twitchy as you think. It's a bit more floaty and strategic than a hardcore shmup, though reflexes certainly count. It's possible to play fairly safe--it's what I do.

I want to get it before the preorder discouint expires but I want to read more impressions before I get it.

This is why I really wish they'd do more "first week" discounts and less "perorder only" ones. Indie game reviews are almost always day of release or a day before so preorder only deals kinda bite.

I'll post a bit more tonight but I don't want to give impressions based on a worse build of the game.

Couldhis mean those who pre-loaded also got the old build?

Shouldn't, there's a patch out this morning and I got the old build yesterday. AS long as you have the patch I'd assume you're good. PSN should download both

v1lla21

It's been a long wait but it's finally here!! Thanks 17-bit :) can't wait to get my hands on it. Gotta buy me one of them 17-bit and Galak-z shirts since they look sweet.

Great OT :)

This is the first game that I ran to play at PAX Prime 2013. This is very last game that I played at PAX Prime 2013. This was the first game I played on the then unreleased Dualshock 4. This was my personal "game of the show" for PAX Prime 2013.

I am SO READY to finally play this again. It's been so long and it seems that the wait will be worth it. 11 hours to go!

ChuckNyce

The earlier trailers and gifs had me interested but the Giant Bomb quicklook sold me. Looks really unique, fun, and just plain cool. Preordered!

Cannot believe this is coming out finally tomorrow. FINALLY.

So hyped for this, but of course will have to wait till payday to get it

GUa7NpX.gif

so.fucking.good

jkooXL

During the prototype phase of the game it was not yet rogue-lite/like whatever you like to call it. We had one level we had completely hand crafted which is what we first showed off, before we were actually in full production. We started playing with a room builder to speed things up when we found it was just as easy to randomly assemble the hand tuned rooms as not, and it quickly became the defacto way to play.

Top Bottom