• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

Woah, that's some praise.

Soon going up on the EU PSN store...
Yeah, I'm pleased to see the reviews sitting so highly! I thought it might slip to the low 70s, but I think it's actually going to end up reviewing way better. Glad to see others sharing my enthusiasm for it so far :)

THAT MECH

THEM BUGS

THAT STRATEGY

GIF9617f.gif

Omg people, do not underestimate the mech, this thing is amazing. Use the shield + sword charge at the same time combined with crafty flying to become a magician on the battlefield. It's way easier dealing with the mid tier ships like that as well as being able to parry the enemy mechs and throw stuff all over the place. Even grabbing the big asteroids and space junk has saved my life more than a few times.

drotahorror

What's the deal with blueprints? I thought they were permanent? Sometimes they're in the shop, sometimes they're not. Sometimes I collect 2/2 bouncy shot blueprint, sometimes I collect it again.

What's the deal with blueprints? I thought they were permanent? Sometimes they're in the shop, sometimes they're not. Sometimes I collect 2/2 bouncy shot blueprint, sometimes I collect it again.

For blueprints that upgrade/give you weapon and speed abilities, they carry over across each episode in a season. However, all of your on-hand blueprints reset when you complete a season. I believe they reset after a death as well.

Sir TapTap

I really like the Raider dialog, especially the mech/giant ship dudes. Sound convincing and interesting, though the hannah barbera generic minions of the Empire are alright too. Shame the story stuff isn't really as good.

Blueprints are permanent, but the shop only stocks one of each item. And I'm not entirely sure how the shop works, if it only presents a random selection of unlocks (lame if so) or what.

For blueprints that upgrade/give you weapon and speed abilities, they carry over across each episode in a season. However, all of your on-hand blueprints reset when you complete a season. I believe they reset after a death as well.

Those are upgrades, not blueprints. Green =upgrade blue = blueprint

105.Will

Just played a level where the game couldnt go 2 seconds without freezing. powered through it to the warp point and it crashed...

Sir TapTap

Oh wow, okay the story/objectives are procedural after all, wouldn't have noticed if I didn't game over. ...doesn't really excuse the writing though IMO

the_standard

Neo Member
Very interested but kinda hard to bite after missing the pre-order sale, I didn't realize it was only valid during the pre-order. I wanted to atleast wait to hear impressions and performance opinions. Maybe it will be back on sale during another summer week?

gunstarhero

Ug. In the middle of 2-3 and the game crashes.

Noticing lots of sound bugs as well. Great game, but please fix 17bit. >_<

Alucrid

Banned
so playing this makes me want to watch macross. i read a few robotech books years ago and from what i understand that's actually three different series combined? so...what should i actually be looking at?

UberTag

So... PS+ discount is gone for US PSN users?
Yep, PS+ discount only applied for blind buy preorders in the US.
Which means if you gamble early, take advantage of it and the game winds up sucky... you lose.
And if you're disciplined and wait until reviews come out... you also lose.

It's a great little system.

Sir TapTap

I think I understand, but don't like, how blueprints work. It's sort of like unlocking shop items in Binding of isaac--they will only appear in the shop (random upgrades mid mission seem to ignore blueprints), but they are not guaranteed to be in the shop, the selection is random. Unfortunately, like 80% of the shop seems to be the same shitty hull repair, missile, missile capacity, speedboost crap every time with like 1 slot for an interesting item.

BTW I'm mid season 3 and seeing new enemy types (mostly palette swaps with altered behavior) so I was slightly jumping the gun about limited enemy variety.

Oh GOD I just met this at the start of a recovery mission (gameplay spoilers?)

androvsky

so playing this makes me want to watch macross. i read a few robotech books years ago and from what i understand that's actually three different series combined? so...what should i actually be looking at?

Macross is the first of the three series and the least mangled to form Robotech, it's also the highest regarded of the three series. If you can get the ADV release of Macross it's probably your best bet. Probably won't be easy to find though. If you're stuck with Robotech the first 30 or so episodes are Macross anyway, but from what I understand the translation starts getting strange later in the series.

If you just want to scratch the Macross itch with a minimum of fuss, find Macross Plus. Should be much cheaper and easier to find, it's much much shorter, and it's probably better in many ways. The original still is probably worth it if you can find it. Avoid Macross 2 unless you've seen everything else and are still desperate for more.

If you can find it, watch the original (1982). That's what I'm doing right now!

Ug. In the middle of 2-3 and the game crashes.

Noticing lots of sound bugs as well. Great game, but please fix 17bit. >_<

Can't remember where I read it, but I thought I read somewhere about sound cutting out being the result of a nearly full hard drive (slow load times?). Maybe jkooXL can shed some more light on that, but I'm sure he's busy celebrating that they finally got their game out.

jkooXL

Hey guys!! Thanks for the patience, launch day madness as I'm sure you can understand. Entire team is *so stoked* the feedback has been so great, people are diving in deep and loving it!

HOWEVER we're totally aware there are issues that slipped by us, we're a small team and even though we have a dedicated tester, and we all play every day, being such a large procedurally generated experience its hard to test everything! With that being said, I'd like to show you what we have planned for our next patch. Read all about it here!

http://community.galak-z.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5

Known Issues - v1.02

Mech grapple ability is sometimes unavailable
Info: In some situations, it's possible to lock up the mech's grapple ability, which can render certain missions (anything that requires grabbing an object) incompletable. As a progress-wiping bug, fixing this is our highest priority.
Workaround: At present, the only fix is to return to the title screen via the options menu or by dying.

Game sometimes crashes in between missions
Info: The crash occurs most frequently after completing a level, before the mission complete screen. This particular crash is due to a bug in the Unity engine that was addressed post-launch. We intend to update to the newest available version of Unity as soon as we're able to.

This particular crash is infrequent and does not erase your save data so it should not cause you to lose any progress. Because of this (and the dangers of upgrading Unity by several versions), it's lower on our priority list than other issues we can more quickly and easily address.
Workaround: N/A

Constant hitching after enemy deaths
Info: In certain situations, the game may begin exhibiting frequent and significant hitching after combat with a group of enemies. The cause is still unknown, but a very simple workaround exists.
Workaround: Pause the game, by opening the level map or the options menu, then return to the game.

Enemy and player barks are too frequent
Info: Post-fix, the frequency of combat chatter will be reduced. Yes, especially 'Ka-chiiing!' and 'Space bucks!'.

Voice clips do not resume after pausing the game
Info: Anytime the game is paused, via the level map or the options menu, any dialogue clips that were playing are cut short when the game is unpaused.

Enemy barks sometimes play while loading the next level
Info: N/A

Voice clips are sometimes cut short
Info: During normal play mode, dialogue clips are sometimes clipped by up to a full second. This appears to be an issue when playing Galak-Z on full or heavily fragmented HDDs.
Workaround: Deleting unused content from your PS4 HDD will reduce and/or eliminate audio clipping. A proper fix will ship in a future patch.

Frame rate drops in heavy combat
Info: There are a variety of issues that lead to poor performance in heavy combat. Unfortunately, there is no single fix that magically increases the framerate. This is a multi-faceted issue that we will be continuing to improve in all future patches.

Our forums are open and we love to hear any feedback, any details you can provide on crashes or any other weirdness you find! There are only 9 of us and its a big job making everything 100%, but we;'re determined to get there! Thank you!

Fisty

Hey guys!! Thanks for the patience, launch day madness as I'm sure you can understand. Entire team is *so stoked* the feedback has been so great, people are diving in deep and loving it!

HOWEVER we're totally aware there are issues that slipped by us, we're a small team and even though we have a dedicated tester, and we all play every day, being such a large procedurally generated experience its hard to test everything! With that being said, I'd like to show you what we have planned for our next patch. Read all about it here!

Known Issues - v1.02

Info: In some situations, it's possible to lock up the mech's grapple ability, which can render certain missions (anything that requires grabbing an object) incompletable. As a progress-wiping bug, fixing this is our highest priority.
Workaround: At present, the only fix is to return to the title screen via the options menu or by dying.

Info: The crash occurs most frequently after completing a level, before the mission complete screen. This particular crash is due to a bug in the Unity engine that was addressed post-launch. We intend to update to the newest available version of Unity as soon as we're able to.

This particular crash is infrequent and does not erase your save data so it should not cause you to lose any progress. Because of this (and the dangers of upgrading Unity by several versions), it's lower on our priority list than other issues we can more quickly and easily address.

Info: In certain situations, the game may begin exhibiting frequent and significant hitching after combat with a group of enemies. The cause is still unknown, but a very simple workaround exists.
Workaround: Pause the game, by opening the level map or the options menu, then return to the game.

Info: Post-fix, the frequency of combat chatter will be reduced. Yes, especially 'Ka-chiiing!' and 'Space bucks!'.

Info: Anytime the game is paused, via the level map or the options menu, any dialogue clips that were playing are cut short when the game is unpaused.

Info: During normal play mode, dialogue clips are sometimes clipped by up to a full second. This appears to be an issue when playing Galak-Z on full or heavily fragmented HDDs.
Workaround: Deleting unused content from your PS4 HDD will reduce and/or eliminate audio clipping. A proper fix will ship in a future patch.

Info: There are a variety of issues that lead to poor performance in heavy combat. Unfortunately, there is no single fix that magically increases the framerate. This is a multi-faceted issue that we will be continuing to improve in all future patches.

Our forums are open and we love to hear any feedback, any details you can provide on crashes or any other weirdness you find! There are only 9 of us and its a big job making everything 100%, but we;'re determined to get there! Thank you!

Great list of fixes, and you guys have an awesome game here! Please please please consider significant DLC expansions!

OOoooh. You permadeath if you don't finish the episode.

Even though I didn't know that, I think it's pretty cool. If I knew, I would've bought health over other things.

Tunavi

Banned
Okay I get it now.

You make one boost in the direction you want, and shoot from that stationary streamline. Let intertia do its work. I am starting to get better

Also, voice audio is at 0% so much better

105.Will

This game is making me realize how much it sucks that we haven't gotten a game that takes inspiration from cow boy bebop.

jkooXL

Just an informal question here, has anyone had the grapple bug (can't grapple anything) NOT been able to transform back to the ship?

AEREC

Is this the framerate dips that people are complaining about?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Known Issues - v1.02

One more that hit me earlier. Game would not progress past the logo if I had a background download active. Just unending black screen instead of the title screen.

HORRORSHØW

Just an informal question here, has anyone had the grapple bug (can't grapple anything) NOT been able to transform back to the ship?
no grapple bug but i couldn't transform to a mech after i continued but that's probably intentional. i think.

jkooXL

Is this the framerate dips that people are complaining about?

No, this is a bug where the game really starts freezing up after killing enemies. The framerate hitches will be greatly reduced with our next patch, we have a bunch of big optimizations that make a big difference, especially in heavy combat. They aren't that bad now, but we definitely intend to keep hammering on things like that.

jkooXL

Grimløck;174180795 said:
no grapple bug but i couldn't transform to a mech after i continued but that's probably intentional. i think.

Yeah if you have to go recover your core and your upgrades you can't transform back into the mech until you do so.

nib95

Banned
Downloading pretty quick actually. Saying 35mins for both the game and patch to download. Around a 25-30mb connection here, so not completely terrible.

drotahorror

I noticed no one has 100% the game and they've beat season 4. Ayatollah of Rock-N-Rolla isn't obtainable with the current content or something?

CLEEK

So happy you guys aren't being precious about your game and have taken on this feedback so quickly. I love your game to bits, but the constant in-game chatter annoys the hell out of me.

jkooXL

So happy you guys aren't being precious about your game and have taken on this feedback so quickly. I love your game to bits, but the constant in-game chatter annoys the hell out of me.

Believe it or not the barks were working fine for *so long* then something broke and they weren't triggering nearly enough, so we fixed it, but something else snapped right before we launched and we didn't notice it somehow, but it was NEVER meant to be so overly chatty. We're fixing it today, patch should be submitted to Sony soon, by late next week at the latest.

Sir TapTap

Difficulty does ramp up in season 3, and last episodes of seasons in general. Finally died after actually making progress at 3-5. I had a really good shield build too.

Cool stuff, good to see you get on it so fast

CLEEK

Believe it or not the barks were working fine for *so long* then something broke and they weren't triggering nearly enough, so we fixed it, but something else snapped right before we launched and we didn't notice it somehow, but it was NEVER meant to be so overly chatty. We're fixing it today, patch should be submitted to Sony soon, by late next week at the latest.

A-Tak approves!

QvLO3Cv.jpg

Top Bottom