• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z: The Dimensional |OT| Macross the Universe

Pretty disappointed after waiting so long for season 5. Really a mode like this should have been in from the start, and it's not a real replacement for what they promised.

Curufinwe

I think they've gotten the difficulty balancing wrong all thru this game's development. I went back to try season 4 again and a ship with no upgrades is no fun to play with, so I think I'm done.

ChryZ

I just saw this on Steam

https://steamcommunity.com/app/300580/discussions/0/364040961437207572/

jkooza (developer) said:
We can see how many people finished all 4 seasons and it's in the low hundreds. When we decided which direction to take the game after we shipped the core experience, the most consistent feedback was a strong desire for an endless mode, and a way to compete with their friends. I made the executive decision to spend our effort and allotted budget to make something everyone could enjoy instead of just a select very few. We decided to tie the final showdown with the Baron into this infinite dimension mode.

Players of almost any skill level (you have to beat Season 1 to access The Void) being able to jump in, play a great, frantic, exciting game, fighting a great boss over and over seemed like a much more worthwhile effort than a story based chapter that a few hundred people would play once and be done with. This gives the game endless legs, and we encourage you to try it!

lcap

Well, hoping at least they port it to the PS4. I bought it on launch day but couldn't keep playing for a bunch of bugs and other games that released close to it.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Remember, this decision wasn't made in a vacuum--their game didn't sell well and they lost key team members, so you can safely assume that any major improvements or additions are off the table.

mejin

Bought ps4 version day one. Now I'm regretting it cause I didn't know game was fuckn' incomplete. Never again.

Syril

He talked about The Void/Season 5:

We purposely left the door open at the end of the core experience to be able to pivot based on user feedback. Our reviews were largely fantastic, we currently sit at 82/100 on Metacritic but almost everyone thought the game was too difficult. We wanted the game to be challenging but if no one could actually finish it, that level of difficulty was certainly not our intent. So we made the decision to take a chunk of our allocated Season 5 budget to introduce Arcade Mode, which rebalanced the game considerably, and allowed players to save after every mission instead of after every 5. People to this day constantly ask for a feature like this in the game, but our reach just isn't great enough to inform the world that IT EXISTS! :)
Once we shipped Arcade Mode, the other outstanding request we heard constantly was some sort of of endless mode, which makes a lot of sense for the future longevity of the game. We had a loose structure already in place to place Season 5 in the Void against the Baron, so we merged the two together and created THE VOID. It's disheartening to see some users not understand this IS Season 5, and its entirely based on user feedback and requests! This is exactly WHY we left that door open, so we could finish the game to be what the users asked for.

My bad. I knew about the beta test for PC but I read this and thought someone got some news I didn't.
Bought ps4 version day one. Now I'm regretting it cause I didn't know game was fuckn' incomplete. Never again.

I wonder if the IndieBox physical release has S5.

I have the game on PS4 so I have to wait a bit for The Void. Hearing some pretty different things about it so I'm excited to play it for myself. Hopefully we'll get it this month.

Zocano

For a second I got really worried that the PS4 version wasn't coming out because of monetary issues but I'm glad to hear Jake confirm that the patch is just going through Sony confirmation processes. Really excited to have a super replayable mode of it. I think my main issue with the season structure was that there was no good macro incentives. I think a Star Fox like structure would have been a lot cooler and replayable (since for me after beating Season 4 not too long after the PS4 launch I had no reason to play anything other than Season 4 because that's where the hardest challenge and least restrictive as far as tools went). Basically what I'm saying is every "rogue-like-like" should just be like Spelunky.

Super excited for The Void and hopefully 17-bit get enough profit to develop more for Galak Z because I really want more room and toys to mess around with in this combat system. Might double dip for PC at some point just to show appreciation but for now I'll just wait on that PS4 patch.

Curufinwe

I gave season 4 another try and managed to finish it last night. The last boss gave me cramp in my right hand because I had to hold R2 with my ring finger and used my index finger to keep boosting over and over. It was the only way I could avoid all the rockets and missiles.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
this sucks. I held off on playing through season 4 while waiting for season 5.

Ok thanks, So I can just pick the original and download the free DLC later. Can't wait to finally try it :)

The DLC is included if you buy it now. I believe it unlocks The Void after you've beaten the first season (series of level) but it kinda works as season I believe.

I actually haven't got the chance to play it yet because I own the game on PS4 and The Void isn't out there yet...

The void has done a decent job getting me playing the game again. I've done the daily challenge almost everyday and I like the low time commitment and being forced to use load outs i normally wouldn't.

Running into the emperors ship is crazy too.

KooopaKid

Banned
Nooooo, I didn't think I was going to be bored of the mission structure that fast. The controls and dogfight engine is excellent but the samey environments and procedurally generated looking levels aren't doing enough to add variety for me :(
Is there variety later on?

Lemnisc8

I actually registered on their own forum (which is a ghost town). I loved the game (and completed it quickly, as the game really 'clicked' with me so I didn't find it too difficult) and praised them a bunch.

I kinda feel bad for them. The game is great with good reviews but it just wasn't a commercial success and I think it really hurt their plans for further development (plus losing a key member of the team).

Where I stop feeling bad is their utter lack of communication to their fan base. It's always "coming soon" and "about to go in for certification", and we all know it doesn't take THIS long.

Ridiculous. (But still looking forward to a release on ps4. One day).

@MUWANdo

Banned
I think they've fully transitioned into working on the mobile version and if that doesn't sell then everyone is well and truly boned.

They have some sort of financial relationship with GungHo, apparently. You'd think that'd at least give them the budget to deliver what they pledged.

Drencrom

I think they've fully transitioned into working on the mobile version and if that doesn't sell then everyone is well and truly boned.

They have some sort of financial relationship with GungHo, apparently. You'd think that'd at least give them the budget to deliver what they pledged.

So they don't even seem to be working on getting the Void and arcade modes to PS4?

ChryZ

Shu tweeted this photo, taken at BitSummit, referencing PS4 and all ...

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/751588091740073984/photo/1

Cm4tYogUMAARsLw.jpg:large

Nope

Was almost year ago since I bought this game on PSN and I have yet to get the arcade mode/season 5/the void expansion or whatever it is they've been working on since release. Shameful.

Yeah that's super shitty. I get that they are a small team but when I look at the devs Twitter and all I see is them going to events and partying and there is no news of a console version it kinda sucks.

I'm in the same situation with Nuclear Throne on PS4. Love that game but it hasn't been patched since launch and the game gets pretty unstable in the last couple of levels. Meanwhile, all I hear and see from the dev is them flying around the world. That's totally fine and cool and all but it just makes them look pretty bad.

Really makes me think twice about buying one of their games on console ever again.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So they don't even seem to be working on getting the Void and arcade modes to PS4?

I don't think they've literally stopped working on it but I suspect it isn't a high priority, especially when the PC update (and the PC launch more generally) didn't rejuvenate the game like they thought it would.

Either way, I don't think they lied when they said it was almost ready for cert--it probably just failed, or is taking forever to get through, so there could be a lot of downtime that they can't really mitigate. They've overshot every ETA they've given, as far as I can recall... can't fault 'em on consistence, I guess.

After finally finishing up Fallout 4's story last night, I picked Galak-Z out of my backlog (I think I picked it up in a sale) for something smaller and easy to jump into while waiting for No Man's Sky.

I'm liking the visual style of the gameplay
(the character visuals in the hub are less impressive so far), the enemy chatter adds to the experience and I'm still learning the controls, but it's fun. It'll probably be a while before I'm ready for DLC though.

WEGGLES

What's up with being flagged as Malware by Windows Defender?

rBorxaU.png

(The other 3 are the first time it happened, and trying to redownload)

I did enjoy this game quite a bit and found it super fun for short bursts of play.

Any chance on this coming to Switch in the future? Would love to have it on the go.

Top Bottom