• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Husker86

I just got my nexus today and my phone is like the one on the left. It looks terrible. I'm going to ask for a replacement tomorrow and hope I get a good one.

Why are my damn blacks purple? Smh google.
It's so strange because if you look at the soft keys and status bar they are both very black. Everywhere else there is definite purple hue. Both phones are on the same ROM too.

gcubed

It's so strange because if you look at the soft keys and status bar they are both very black. Everywhere else there is definite purple hue. Both phones are on the same ROM too.

yeah my phone is nowhere near the one you posted, and i've gone through 4 of them. Such hit and miss i guess... i usually get hit. I mean that difference is insane

kehs

Banned
Florian Mueller apparently knows less about device development than he knows about patents.

Google suspects that Apple made this request "for one purpose only – to design claims for other litigation". Whether or not that is Apple's motive is a separate issue. Someone who claims to be "open" can't have his cake and eat it.

Google indeed wants to have it both ways. It wants to keep Android closed like the iPhone in some contexts but at the same time demands legal privileges, including the privilege to infringe anyone's intellectual property, because Android is supposedly "open".

It would be nice if Google could either come clean and admit that it's not really open or (ideally) honor its open-source promise. But if Google buys Motorola, I'm afraid we'll see more "trade secret" claims than ever.

Google to court: Galaxy Nexus code is closed just like that of the iPhone

rozay

Banned
The only pixels that are off (for "true blacks") are the soft keys and status bar. The rest of the screen, even when displaying black, is always slightly illuminated which is why it appears purple lol

is there a way to make it so that when you use the volume rocker it doesn't activate the screen? danke
I don't think that's supposed to happen. Might be an app causing it.

kehs

Banned
i dont grasp his point... at all

You know, like when a company makes one thing open source they have to also open source their logo and their kitchen staff.

-

The volume rockers only wake the phone up if you turn off the lock screen.

The only pixels that are off (for "true blacks") are the soft keys and status bar. The rest of the screen, even when displaying black, is always slightly illuminated which is why it appears purple lol

I wonder why they would do that. It's not like that in all amoled screens right?

Anyway I called GOOGLE and they said it was a known issue and they are going to ship me a new phone. I really hope I get a good one. I don't have the time nor will to keep swapping phones.

Piano

Banned
The only pixels that are off (for "true blacks") are the soft keys and status bar. The rest of the screen, even when displaying black, is always slightly illuminated which is why it appears purple lol.
Is there a rom that fixes that? Wouldn't that save a lot of battery?

kehs

Banned
Something like that can easily be fixed in software. It's probably just bad configurations from different productions lines on the screens.

My blacks are blacks all around.

rozay

Banned
Is there a rom that fixes that? Wouldn't that save a lot of battery?
Haven't seen one that does, and as I posted earlier someone theorized that keeping them on at very dim levels saved more battery than constantly turning the pixels off and on. I'm sure there is a reason google decided on that, when previous AMOLED phones actually turned the pixels off.

Something like that can easily be fixed in software. It's probably just bad configurations from different productions lines on the screens.

youre saying that looking at your screen in a dark room with a black wallpaper, the color is exactly the same as your notification bar and softkeys?

Husker86

Even mine (which is the one on the right in the picture I posted) has very faint illumination on blacks. I noticed it when using it in my bed at night. Made me question my AMOLED faith.

kehs

Banned
Haven't seen one that does, and as I posted earlier someone theorized that keeping them on at very dim levels saved more battery than constantly turning the pixels off and on. I'm sure there is a reason google decided on that, when previous AMOLED phones actually turned the pixels off.

youre saying that looking at your screen in a dark room with a black wallpaper, the color is exactly the same as your notification bar and softkeys?

Yup as far as I can tell just like me N1 and Nexus S.

Full brightness or low brightness. I switched to neogaf dark theme because of how awesome it blends into the notification and system keys.

My device was made in Korea and came with yakju btw.

Galaxy Nexus amoled is different than that in the SGS/Nexus S and SGS2, a charge is always applied to all pixels, even when showing blacks.

Extreme close-up of Galaxy Nexus displaying pure black, 15 sec exposure

Comparison of Nexus S vs Galaxy Nexus pure black image

That being said, it's still a hell of a lot better than LCD blacks:

(15 second exposure)
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac272/chjade84/LCDvsAMOLED.gif

Apparently its more power efficient for a minimal charge to always be applied, as opposed to having to switch the pixel on/off. :/

I feel a bit hard done by, having come from a Galaxy S, but then I see friends using their LCD smartphones and I quickly forget my first world complaint.

Fake edit: This thread at XDA might be of use to some who suspect they have a dodgy display: Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

th3dude

So, I'm noticing that my battery is dropping way too fast.

I'm running:

Extended Battery
AOKP Milestone 5
Franco Kernel m3 (Generic hotplug on)

This screenshot seems way off...

IDdiq.png

Screen time is only 30 minutes. WTF?

Only thing that is strange is that my 'keep awake' time in Android OS is over 5 hours. Definitely no extra apps running in background. This is a pretty fresh install.

Edit: I'm also on Wifi 90% of the time. So LTE shouldn't be an issue.

Any body else's phone freak out when trying to select a word in chrome. Mine moves around like crazy and in the end doesn't select what I want.

Husker86

So, I'm noticing that my battery is dropping way too fast.

I'm running:

Extended Battery
AOKP Milestone 5
Franco Kernel m3 (Generic hotplug on)

This screenshot seems way off...

Screen time is only 30 minutes. WTF?

Only thing that is strange is that my 'keep awake' time in Android OS is over 5 hours. Definitely no extra apps running in background. This is a pretty fresh install.

Edit: I'm also on Wifi 90% of the time. So LTE shouldn't be an issue.

I have never ever had good results with Franco kernel. When I flashed M5 I stuck with the included kernel and my standby time is great.

zedge

Why does the Navigation not speak out the street names? On My GS2 it will say turn left on xxx street or whatever. On my Gnex it just says turn left, or turn right.

Im sure this is the most asked question, but what kind of battery life can I expect from the LTE Nexus?

Are the upcoming updates going to improve anything?

kinggroin

Banned
Im sure this is the most asked question, but what kind of battery life can I expect from the LTE Nexus?

Fairly shit battery stock. About 3 or 4 hours talk time, less than that for screen on time, and maybe 8-10 hours overall with normal use.

VPhys

I hardly use any talk time minutes mostly just web browsing and occasional texting, my six up month old Nexus gets about four hours of battery. I have to live by work Chargers, car chargers, home chargers. But, it's worth it for the speed, LTE is amazing.

VPhys

I really wish there was a desktop docking station for the Verizon galaxy nexus. Having to always constantly charge the device is a nuisance when you have to use a cable and connect on the bottom of the phone, I would love to just drop the phone onto a station that connects to the three Gold contacts on the side of the phone. I would expect a flagship device, and also a Nexus device to have a wide assortment of assessories on or near after lunch. It's really a shame that is not the case, and I guess that's one of the benefits of using an iPhone, one device/model to support and a ton of third parties on board to make assessors for that device.

santouras

I really wish there was a desktop docking station for the Verizon galaxy nexus. Having to always constantly charge the device is a nuisance when you have to use a cable and connect on the bottom of the phone, I would love to just drop the phone onto a station that connects to the three Gold contacts on the side of the phone. I would expect a flagship device, and also a Nexus device to have a wide assortment of assessories on or near after lunch. It's really a shame that is not the case, and I guess that's one of the benefits of using an iPhone, one device/model to support and a ton of third parties on board to make assessors for that device.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/25/2822822/samsung-galaxy-nexus-pogo-dock-US-90-dollars

it's coming eventually, been delayed numerous times

SimleuqiR

Well the 4.0.4 update has help save battery when the phone is idle:

There is a spike in screen use since I use it between 5:30-6PM on the train ride. Blutooth and Google Music (not streaming) are also on.

Screenshot_2012-05-02-18-05-57.png

Between 6-9 PM the phone gets much more use, specially if I'm not using my tablet. Though I don't know if I can get 5+ hours of screen time. I would have to test it over the weekend.

Screenshot_2012-05-02-21-58-30.png
Screenshot_2012-05-02-21-58-38.png

Screenshot_2012-05-02-21-58-48.png

Right before going to bed:

Screenshot_2012-05-02-23-21-57.png
Screenshot_2012-05-02-23-22-16.png
Screenshot_2012-05-02-23-23-00.png

As you can see Awake time is very low, and I can get a good 16 hours of battery life with some juice still left at the end of my day.

Wish the screen didn't eat up so much power.

I hardly use any talk time minutes mostly just web browsing and occasional texting, my six up month old Nexus gets about four hours of battery. I have to live by work Chargers, car chargers, home chargers. But, it's worth it for the speed, LTE is amazing.

That's what I'll be doing most of the time as well. On the rare occassions that Im away from a charger I just dont want to be totally screwed. If Im in the city at a bar after work or something and just texting and maybe make a phone call every once in a while, I just hope it'll last ~6 hours in case I need it.

I assume battery for audio streaming is a complete joke, then? Any chance I can make it through a commute (~an hour 15 minutes) on a fully charged battery?

Edit: Wow, SimleuqiR, if I can get battery life anywhere near that I'll be totally sold on this phone.

gcubed

That's what I'll be doing most of the time as well. On the rare occassions that Im away from a charger I just dont want to be totally screwed. If Im in the city at a bar after work or something and just texting and maybe make a phone call every once in a while, I just hope it'll last ~6 hours in case I need it.

I assume battery for audio streaming is a complete joke, then? Any chance I can make it through a commute (~an hour 15 minutes) on a fully charged battery?

holy lord its not that bad!

I have the extended battery (which is either free or $25). I stream via Google Music every morning to work (~45 minutes), and its in the upper 80s by the time i get to work.

A normal usage day (little usage while at work, while on work wifi), i can get 14-16 hours out of it. Most of my usage is over wifi, but my commutes are all LTE.

holy lord its not that bad!

I have the extended battery (which is either free or $25). I stream via Google Music every morning to work (~45 minutes), and its in the upper 80s by the time i get to work.

A normal usage day (little usage while at work, while on work wifi), i can get 14-16 hours out of it. Most of my usage is over wifi, but my commutes are all LTE.

I have a two year old Galaxy S Fascinate at the moment and can barely make it through the commute now :(. I probably didn't treat the battery right though.

JoeFu

Banned
Well the 4.0.4 update has help save battery when the phone is idle:
Wish the screen didn't eat up so much power.

Yeah this phone's idle is amazing. I went to bed the other night with 50 percent and 8 hours later it was at 48 percent.

And it is too bad the sexy screen takes up so much battery :( I had it on about 1 and a half hours yesterday and it went from 97 percent to 75 percent or so.

kehs

Banned

Edit: Wow, SimleuqiR, if I can get battery life anywhere near that I'll be totally sold on this phone.

Battery usage for music varies by program and audio. If you're streaming and using bluetooth, expect that thing to just die in like two songs.

If you're using local music with 3.5mm headset, you won't have to worry about it.

Also silemliquier is on the real GN (GSM), not lte tomfoolery to rape the battery.

JoeFu

Banned
I stream with google music all the time while driving. Like a half hour drive may take up to 10 percent of the battery life. It isn't too bad. It's generally like 7 percent or so though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I stream with google music all the time while driving. Like a half hour drive may take up to 10 percent of the battery life. It isn't too bad. It's generally like 7 percent or so though.

I just pin my favorites playlist. More efficient.

SimleuqiR

Bare in mind that I'm on the GSM model, and that the phone sits at my office desk idle for most of the 8 hours I'm there. I use Google Voice for texting, so I mostly respond to them through my web browser. I may touch the phone to use Whatsapp now and then.

Right now it's at 82%, with 9h 30m on battery. The screen still has taken 24% of that, with idle being at 22%

Screenshot_2012-05-03-16-56-26.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mine is similar:

Screenshot_2012-05-03-16-59-38.png

Would have gotten more if I hadn't gone out for lunch today. Uses the most juice on the way home and back, since I listen to (pinned) music and read comics (meaning the screen is on most of that time.)

Top Bottom