• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
t1318989600z1.png

PRESS RELEASE

2qu1zit.png

Tune in LIVE! @ youtube.com/android

The ICS statue delivered!
Nexus Prime caught on video.

Event Times said:
Hong Kong 10AM Oct. 19th
Eastern 10PM Oct. 18th
Pacific 7PM Oct. 18th
Liverpool 3AM Oct. 19th
Find your country here!

Announcements (not all confirmed, mind you)
  • Ice Cream Sandwich - Android 4.0
  • The Galaxy Nexus/Nexus Prime
  • Chrome for Android
  • Google Music Store
  • Android Update Timeline

LiveBlogs
The Nexus Prime and what to expect.
  • 4.65in 720p screen
  • NO MORE HARDWARE BUTTONS
  • Curved profile and display
  • Possible LTE
  • Verizon exclusive at first

Questions? Suggestions? PM Copernicus

QsIWt.jpg

GalaxyNexus.jpg

Lets do this folks! The next gen is upon us!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I know the banner is terrible.

Linkhero1

Ahhh can't wait. Too bad it'll probably be Verizon time-exclusive for a while. I want to get my hands on it as soon as possible :(

Al-ibn Kermit

^You can buy it unlocked and use it on AT&T/T-Mobile.

It seems it will be a timed exclusive to Verizon but it would make sense that it would come to AT&T/T-Mobile by the holidays. Then you can get it for a subsidized price (~$200) with a 2 year contract.

iamvin22 said:
must come to sprint

Of course it will within..6 months. I doubt it'll have a wimax radio by then as that's when Sprint's LTE is being launched.

kokujin

Banned
Al-ibn Kermit said:
^You can buy it unlocked and use it on AT&T/T-Mobile.

It seems it will be a timed exclusive to Verizon but it would make sense that it would come to AT&T/T-Mobile by the holidays. Then you can get it for a subsidized price (~$200) with a 2 year contract.

Of course it will within..6 months. I doubt it'll have a wimax radio by then as that's when Sprint's LTE is being launched.
Good, I didn't want to shell out 600 bucks for a phone.

kokujin said:
What does this mean?

This means that you probably won't be able to get it subsidized from AT&T directly (if at all) But, you will be able buy it unlocked at full price, and it will work, once you pop in your SIM card.

kehs

Banned
HollovVpo1nt said:
You know, the 'high end'-ness of this device and the shape might overshadow a recently announed competitor...
Yea the GS II has some serious competition finally.

Looking forward to the announcements.

Are they just going to announce ICS? or make it available to download immediately after the event? Anyone know?

kokujin

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
This means that you probably won't be able to get it subsidized from AT&T directly (if at all) But, you will be able buy it unlocked at full price, and it will work, once you pop in your SIM card.

Really, that would suck, I held off on a GSII to get this phone.

Copernicus said:
Yea the GS II has some serious competition finally.
Why would Samsung want competition with their own phone?

kehs

Banned
I think Jtwo needs to redo the Android thread.
kokujin said:
Really, that would suck, I held off on a GSII to get this phone.

Why would Samsung want competition with their own phone?
It's technically a Google phone and not a Samsung phone.

kehs

Banned
JAVK said:
Will we see something like this?

ibqm1WfTE5Amw0.jpeg
The profile shot is from the official teaser and the mock up on the right of made up from the leaked video so that's pretty much the phone in its entirety.

Is it wrong that I'm hoping that it's not as specced out as the GS2? Really don't want to be tempted to sell my GS2 at a loss and then put the money towards a Nexus Prime.

I still miss the vanilla android from N1...

nib95

Banned
J Tourettes said:
Is it wrong that I'm hoping that it's not as specced out as the GS2? Really don't want to be tempted to sell my GS2 at a loss and then put the money towards a Nexus Prime.

Yes it's very very wrong. If it's less spec'd than the S2 I will be so disappointed I'll go and buy a 4S instead. And yes I am being serious lol.

J Tourettes said:

The rumored specs outclass the GS2 in almost every respect (sans GPU, which is currently a non-issue given Android's still-fledgling gaming scene). The GS2 was this year's benchmark phone; the Prime, however, will set the tone for next year's crop of smartphones, much like the Nexus One did when it ushered in the first wave of 1GHz processors.

However, don't expect the Prime to remain the top-spec'd phone for long. The Nexus One was quickly overshadowed, and the rumored specs for the GS3 already leave the Prime in the dust. But, it's the best that it will get for vanilla Android, and that, to me, makes it completely worthwhile.

nib95

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
The rumored specs outclass the GS2 in almost every respect (sans GPU, which is currently a non-issue given Android's still-fledgling gaming scene). The GS2 was this year's benchmark phone; the Prime, however, will set the tone for next year's crop of smartphones, much like the Nexus One did when it ushered in the first wave of 1GHz processors.

However, don't expect the Prime to remain the top-spec'd phone for long. The Nexus One was quickly overshadowed, and the rumored specs for the GS3 already leave the Prime in the dust. But, it's the best that it will get for vanilla Android.

When is the GS3 due to be released?

Jake.

i only got my gs2 about a fortnight ago, but i guess every phone gets upgraded in the blink of an eye these days.

nib95

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
In Europe, I expect March/April. In the US, way too late.

I see. Still quite a way off, Nexus Prime will do for now provided the specs are decent. Just hope it's released in the UK soon and not much later.

kehs

Banned
The only thing that has been officially confirmed is that Samsung and Google are having an event about the future of Android.

For all we know they are announcing they are using each other over patent infringement.

Copernicus said:
The only thing that has been officially confirmed is that Samsung and Google are having an event about the future of Android.

For all we know they are announcing they are using each other over patent infringement.

I know you're kidding, but they did release a teaser video of the Prime. :)

I know that was an eternity ago in Internet time.

kehs

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
I know you're kidding, but they did release a teaser video of the Prime. :)

I know that was an eternity ago in Internet time.
That's the patented machine they're fighting over.

kehs

Banned
brotkasten said:
Just came here to say that the thread title is stupid. That the hell does "(" even mean?

Can't wait for the event, though.
It's the phone.

Feel free to go ly dow.

Top Bottom