• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Note 9 announced

cryptoadam

Banned
https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-note9/

he new Note will be available in blue and pink / purple in the US; the blue model includes that bright yellow S Pen seen in all the leaked images. There’s no black option (at least in the US), which is pretty surprising. The Note’s width and thickness measurements have increased a bit due to an ever-so-slightly larger screen — 6.4 inches versus last year’s 6.3-inch display — and a bigger battery. The 9 is actually a hair shorter than the 8, thanks to continued downsizing of the top and bottom bezels.

The quote is from Verge.

Big fan of the Note series, Note 5 to Note 8. I like big phones.

All though it looks great I am a bit disappointed to TBH. It doesn't seem like a huge upgrade over my Note 8. And all though its said the Bezel has shrunk I like the look of the IPHONE X style bezels (minus the notch). I would take no bottom bezel and small top bezel any day of the week.

Price is 1000$.

I will wait for the Note 10 which will hopefully finally get rid of the bottom bezel completly (if Apple can do it why not Samsung).

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
XixW6WQ.png

wVOw7R8.png

Waluigi will be a playable character in Smash Ultimate, confirmed!

On a serious note, it looks like it's using all the standard internal components of other Android phones in terms of performance, and the note line is always pretty great in general.

I dig the color scheme.

Last edited:

Fbh

Looks pretty....safe.
Just looked at it quickly but aside from the typical slight hardware enhancements it doesn't seem to do a whole lot more than the Note 8, nor does it look very different.

Hopefully with the S10 and Note 10 line they can reduce the bezels in a more considerable way.

Also is this launching with Fortnite? That's the game they are advertising and as far as I know it's not out on Android yet, right?

cryptoadam

Banned
Looks pretty....safe.
Just looked at it quickly but aside from the typical slight hardware enhancements it doesn't seem to do a whole lot more than the Note 8, nor does it look very different.

Hopefully with the S10 and Note 10 line they can reduce the bezels in a more considerable way.

Also is this launching with Fortnite? That's the game they are advertising and as far as I know it's not out on Android yet, right?

Yes on Samsung devices

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/9/1...-fortnite-android-release-unpacked-event-2018

One of the worst-kept secrets in gaming has turned out to be true: the Android version of Fortnite will be available exclusively on Samsung devices at launch. But it’s not just the new Note 9 and Tab S4 getting Fortnite; owners of a range of recent Samsung devices — the S9 / S9 Plus, Note 8, Galaxy S8 / S8 Plus, Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 Edge, and Tab S3 — can all start playing the beta today. You’ll be able to install Fortnite from either Samsung’s Game Launcher app or Epic’s new installer, both available here.

So S7 and up you can go play fortnite.

The bottom bezel is my biggest disapointment. There shouldn't be any bottom bezel. I think Apple is going to have a 6.5 screen (rumors) so the Note won't even be the king of phablets.

Also a Note 8 owner and I see no reason to shell out 1500$+ (CAD) for it. I actually think a Note 8 at a cheaper price would probably be a better upgrade for S7/S8 folks.

lil puff

Maybe someone can help me here?

I have had a Galaxy S6 sent to me as a replacement phone, but I want to upgrade. I know nothing about Samsung phones though.

What is the next level up from the S6 currently? I am guessing they will not allow me to just jump to a Note?

ILLtown

I have had a Galaxy S6 sent to me as a replacement phone, but I want to upgrade. I know nothing about Samsung phones though.

What is the next level up from the S6 currently? I am guessing they will not allow me to just jump to a Note?
The S7 or S7 Edge would be the next newest models, then there's the S8/S8+ and S9/S9+ and the corresponding Note models. The Plus models are larger, but size isn't the only difference so I'd do some research before trying to strike a deal with your carrier.

cryptoadam

Banned

If you can get a Note 8 I would go for it. With the Note 9 the price will probably drop on the 8 and you can probably get some good deals.

S9/S9+ might also have some good deals as well, but I prefer the Note series to the S series.

Mahadev

Not that I would ever buy it at that price but why on earth don't they offer a black version? I'd never buy a phone that isn't black again.

Last edited:
This looks really cool! Do you guys think the rumours are true about a new Galaxy 10 coming in early 2019? The fabled flip-fold thingy?

1000$ phones are ridiculous - I remember paying something like 500-600 euro max for Note 2.

I really liked it but then Samsung prices started sky rocketing with each generation and I never went back to them.

lil puff

If you can get a Note 8 I would go for it. With the Note 9 the price will probably drop on the 8 and you can probably get some good deals.

S9/S9+ might also have some good deals as well, but I prefer the Note series to the S series.
Thanks. I will see if they let me up to the Note.

Not a fan of the S series so far, but I assume a 9 is better than the 6 LOL

But $1000? Gee. Make sure to insure that if you get it.

cryptoadam

Banned
This looks really cool! Do you guys think the rumours are true about a new Galaxy 10 coming in early 2019? The fabled flip-fold thingy?

I don't see the flip thing happening. TBH the companies will wait for Apple to do it and then follow suit like the notch.

There will be an S10 and Note 10 next year for sure, which will probably be a bigger upgrade from the S8/Note 8. Upgrading every 2 or 3 years is better than every year because the 1 year leap isn't that huge but 2 or 3 years later the differences are more pronounced.

S8 to S9 is meh, but S7 to S9 is huge.

cryptoadam

Banned
Thanks. I will see if they let me up to the Note.

Not a fan of the S series so far, but I assume a 9 is better than the 6 LOL

But $1000? Gee. Make sure to insure that if you get it.

I never used the S pen but I love the Note 8. If you like big phones its great.

Price is insanity (and I am Canadian so had another 30-50% onto that price) but thats why its better to buy 1 year behind if the tech isn't a huge difference.

9 compared to a 6 is like a PS4 compared to a PS1 LOL.

lil puff

I never used the S pen but I love the Note 8. If you like big phones its great.

Price is insanity (and I am Canadian so had another 30-50% onto that price) but thats why its better to buy 1 year behind if the tech isn't a huge difference.

9 compared to a 6 is like a PS4 compared to a PS1 LOL.
ah nice! That makes me feel a lot better.

Not a fan of the huge phones, feels like it could fall out of my pocket, or someone could steal it. Sometimes it's weird to see some girls with their phone sticking halfway out their pocket. On crowded trains too. It's like they are asking for it to be lost.

Geki-D

Banned
Doesn't have that rumoured screen fingerprint scanner. Shame.

I'll stick with my S8, I didn't go with the S9 because I could barely see a difference and I have to say this isn't really wanting to make me upgrade either. Hope the 10 line has something really decent.

Azurro

Banned
Doesn't have that rumoured screen fingerprint scanner. Shame.

I'll stick with my S8, I didn't go with the S9 because I could barely see a difference and I have to say this isn't really wanting to make me upgrade either. Hope the 10 line has something really decent.

That's always been rumored for the S10, I think.

cryptoadam

Banned
ah nice! That makes me feel a lot better.

Not a fan of the huge phones, feels like it could fall out of my pocket, or someone could steal it. Sometimes it's weird to see some girls with their phone sticking halfway out their pocket. On crowded trains too. It's like they are asking for it to be lost.

If you get an S9 or Note 8 its going to be like going from CRTV to 50" 4K tv. You will be mesmeroized by the screen and speed of the device. Even going from a Note 5 to a Note 8 I was saying wow for a few days looking at my screen.

I don't really carry my phone with me(due to my job I am not allowed a phone in my office) but I cant go back to a smaller screen. When not at work I use my phone like a PC so having a smaller screen is a no go. You eventually get used to it and then when you see those small phones you chuckle a bit inside and wonder how you ever had one of those.

Grinchy

Banned
You'd have to give me a lobotomy before I'd be stupid enough to spend $1000 on a phone.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Seems like Samsung is throwing some major discount here, pay for 128gb model, but we get an instant 'free' upgrade to the 512gb one. Further 200-400 cashback when you trade in your old Samsung phones afterwards. Effectively, the 8/512 is some ways off the msrp. Of course way less with a 2 year plan

Too bad we get the retard exynos version, maybe that's why...

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
Nice ass phone for sure

I have to give much credit to these phone makers for conditioning people to buy new expenaive phones almost every year, could you imagine buying a new laptop or TV every year???!

Mahadev

Oh c'mon, look where they put the fingerprint scanner, right below the camera lens. GENIUS, let's put the thing you need to touch right below the thing you shouldn't touch or scratch. Women with long nails are gonna have a lot of fun with this design.

AfricanKing

I'm using the s8+. Worthy to upgrade to the Note 9, or am I not going to notice a difference?

Screen wise yes it's much sharper

Battery wise yes it's got a 4000MAH so yes it's gonna take you far , usage of the Pen is pretty much dependent on what you use your handset for , I take notes everyday so I'm going to be using the note for the next couple of days to see how efficient it's going to be . But with the new bottom remapping for the SPen they have upped the level of customisation .. Samsung only sent me the 128GB version of the Note 9 so my intentions where to fill the phones with films and music and see how the ram still holds up. But all of these things are a huge step up from the S8+.

Spec wise it's a beast compared to the S8+ , every aspect has been upgraded , but that is always expected from Samsung , the Note 8 was phone of the year for 2017 for a reason they just replicated their formula from last year and pushed it forward .

Note 9 is a feature phone .. if you hated the bloat ware on the S8 it's multiplied on the N9.

It's a worthy upgrade coming from a S8+ but it's still the exact same set up, nothing has changed in how you use the phone , nothing has changed with Bixby .. it's still useless to me but that's subjective depending on how often you build it into your ecosystem.

My personal phone is a Pixel 2Xl but for work I use the S8+ .. size wise I've already adjusted to it but the fingerprint sensor is still in bad position .

IMG_20180810_131734.jpg

It's Jeff

Banned
Screen wise yes it's much sharper

Battery wise yes it's got a 4000MAH so yes it's gonna take you far , usage of the Pen is pretty much dependent on what you use your handset for , I take notes everyday so I'm going to be using the note for the next couple of days to see how efficient it's going to be . But with the new bottom remapping for the SPen they have upped the level of customisation .. Samsung only sent me the 128GB version of the Note 9 so my intentions where to fill the phones with films and music and see how the ram still holds up. But all of these things are a huge step up from the S8+.

Spec wise it's a beast compared to the S8+ , every aspect has been upgraded , but that is always expected from Samsung , the Note 8 was phone of the year for 2017 for a reason they just replicated their formula from last year and pushed it forward .

Note 9 is a feature phone .. if you hated the bloat ware on the S8 it's multiplied on the N9.

It's a worthy upgrade coming from a S8+ but it's still the exact same set up, nothing has changed in how you use the phone , nothing has changed with Bixby .. it's still useless to me but that's subjective depending on how often you build it into your ecosystem.

My personal phone is a Pixel 2Xl but for work I use the S8+ .. size wise I've already adjusted to it but the fingerprint sensor is still in bad position .

IMG_20180810_131734.jpg

An incredibly helpful review. You have my thanks. Interesting that you bring up Bixby. My only interest in her is watching her die and shitting on her grave.

Had the last Note... 5? The one prior to the explosion boondoggle? Switched to galaxy, missed the s pen. I may go back, based on this information.

lil puff

$300 USD is my limit. But I usually just upgrade with whatever they allow me and not pay.

$500 is still a lot to me.

Carton

I don’t understand why they persist with the curved display; it feels like a tacky gimmick which makes for nice looking promo pics, but in reality causes an annoying reflection over a part of the display. Perhaps I’m just a little pedantic about these things. The remainder of the phone seems solid beside the fingerprint scanner positioning.

HarryKS

Is this technically the most powerful (or feature-packed) phone on the market, regardless of the incremental upgrades?

TTOOLL

I've been reading a lot about this phone and damn, there's nothing even close to it imo. This is the king right here people. I think it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Bolivar687

Banned
I got one over the weekend at T-Mobile, trading in my Note 5 for the 50% discount. Buying it for $500 seemed like an offer I couldn't refuse, especially with how dated that phone is now anyway. At first the jump didn't feel quite as big as I had hoped, as I still really liked the Note 5, but the more I use it and take more advantage of the features, it really is an impressive piece of hardware.

The S Pen functionality is awesome for the camera control but I hope they expand the list of compatible apps with newer updates, or at least let us map it to universal functions, like opening up the quick access sidebar.

I don't know if this was a Note 8 feature with the bezel-less design but I like being able to unpin the bottom home/back/apps button. The sidebar on the right is an incredible addition as well.

One downside is the accessories - it seems like the wild west right now with poor products and fake reviews everywhere. I got a tempered glass screen protector but it looks like they're selling the Note 8 version, as it's just shy of the full screen size and it has that rainbow effect. It seems like the only sure screen protector is the $45 Whitestone one.

cryptoadam

Banned
After seeing the S10 leaks, Note 9 is nice but Note 10 is going to be where its at.

Note 9 seems like an end of an era, the culmination of the Note line to make the best and greatest Note. It took the Note 8 and refined it to perfection.

But the Note 10 is going to be awesome. Check the S10 but its going to have no chin (PRAISE THE LORD), finger print scanner on the front, 5 cameras, and the phone is going to be unbreakable.

images

That's the rumored S10, so little bezel!

I have a Note 8. My buddy got a Note 9 so I will be able to check it out. Its probably going to be an awesome phone but the big step IMO will be Note 10.

highrider

Banned
Nice on the pics guys, that is a fine looking bit of kit there. I kind of caved to my social group and moved over to IOS but I love the Note series. Fond memories of my 3, as an artist I actually really liked it as an art platform.

Top Bottom