• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra: Indie Collective Summary (comparing MS, Sony, and Nintendo's policies)

Tripon

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JamesCoote/20130911/199985/Indie_Collective_Summary.php
Sony
[...]
One thing mentioned, when asked about Sony's motivations for reaching out to indies was that Sony had always been a B-to-B type of business; somewhat implying that they viewed indies as closer to consumers than other businesses. Which is probably fair enough when you consider many indies don't have teams of lawyers, marketeers and PR people, and in many cases, aren't even incorporated.

Another area highlighted as of particular importance to Sony was the idea of "credibility" of a game developer. This idea that it isn't necessarily the number of titles shipped or size of team, but how genuine and credible they think you are in terms of ultimately, being able to come up with the goods. This extended to indies spending time networking, going to events, getting their face out there, so that Sony know of devs from more than just a few tweets and emails.

This point was extended when (somewhat controversially), it was suggested indies do their own PR, rather than rely on a company. Drawing on this idea that the indie game dev is the most important asset (after the game itself), when it comes to selling the game.

Other things included the emphasis on Vita (there were a couple of free Vita's being given away during the talk). Presumably, since Sony have had some success reviving the Vita's fortunes by turning it into a sort of indie platform, they want to continue that. And also perhaps might prefer unknown devs to start there and prove themselves, so as to reduce the number of "My first games" appearing on PS4.

[...]

Microsoft
This was very much more about the process of getting onto Xbox One, and the speaker from Microsoft, Phil Waymouth, made the point a number of times that while him and his team heard this stuff every day, it was easy to forget not everyone else had heard about it. So his mission was very much to help educate people about that.

Microsoft have come under criticism that maybe their ID@Xbox campaign looks a bit rushed and "me too" ish. And reading between the lines about the above, you can see why Microsoft have been somewhat irked by that accusation.

Meantime, the process itself was presented as a simple 1. 2. 3. step affair: Initiate Contact -> Pitch Game -> Publish, though each step in itself appears to be complex and involved.

The point was made that creating games was hard! And this was also reflected when I checked out the ID@Xbox site after the talk, which talks about professionalism and has a sign up form where you can list all the titles you've shipped, how many years experience you have in the industry etc.

As with Sony and the Vita, the hint from Microsoft is that Windows 8 apps are a good way to prove your self in terms of quality and the "credibility" factor that Sony spoke about. The idea that you're a known quantity to Microsoft if there is an app or two that you can point to on the Windows 8 app store.

[...]

Conversely, I was very excited to see Microsoft address the problem of discoverability head on (something I feel passionately about). Microsoft analogised themselves as providing the easel, paint brushes and gallery for the game dev "artist", and the gallery seems to learn from the mistakes of app-stores past: Single store (no ghettoized XBLIG/XBLA marketplaces), and for curation, a mix of hand-picked "spotlight" featured section, and using technology in the form of trending and a recommendations engine.

Other mentions went to the fact they fully support IAP and f2p/freemium models, but they also use the wholesale model. As an indie, I wasn't really aware of this before, but it was explained quite well, and makes a lot of sense when you think in terms of the legal and tax aspects of selling games.

[...]

Microsoft seem like they want to make a distinction between indie and Independent developers, with their preference very much for the latter. But that they can't say that out loud.

Nintendo

Arguably the most interesting of the three talks, it was prefaced by the event host describing how once upon a time, it was not uncommon to travel all the way to Kyoto in Japan and actually meet with Nintendo bosses in person. The point being, things had come along way since then and the company was changing. It was also noted that many of the things mentioned in the talk were not being discussed openly (or at least not under NDA) until very recently. While I appreciate it kinda sucks to then have someone like me splurge it all out over the internets, hopefully, this will assist other indie devs and Nintendo themselves in opening up.

In fact, I was lucky enough to have a chat with one of the Nintendo reps during lunch, and the way it was put to me, going back to the motivation behind companies doing these talks, was that in the last generation, Nintendo had broadened their customer base and the spread of demographics (casuals, women etc). Now the intention was to do a similar thing for their developer base.

Nintendo admitted that wiiware hadn't exactly been perfect, but that they were really starting to get there with the current eShop. Off-device eShop browsing was mentioned as being in the pipeline, though like much in the talk, it was "when it happens / but I can't talk about that".

As for being featured on the eShop, there are no paid featured slots, with everything being selected by the editorial staff. The permanent indie feature slot on the store was highlighted. Interestingly, there was a suggestion that niche games were a favourite amongst editors.

IAP and freemium / f2p were all fine, and unlike Microsoft, the eShop worked on the agency model. Too much manipulating of the prices though, and/or attempts to game the system were deemed "inadvisable".

Another point raised was that there was no minimum threshold before developers get paid. That was interesting for me when comparing it to my experience on OUYA, where there is a $150 threshold before they pay up.

In fact, much of the Nintendo talk seemed to be aimed at clearing up what they had identified as common developer misconceptions. No exclusivity requirement, and no requirement to use specific bits of hardware. Working from home, they had recognised, was fine, so long as there were reasonable guarantees that you didn't leave your door unlocked and wide open for anyone wandering down the street to poke their head in and knab your Wii U devkit.

On the subject of the devkit, Nintendo made the reasonable point that, as much as they were willing to make things financially easy and provide as great an assistance as possible for free, the devkit pricetag, represented a reciprocal serious committment on the behalf of the developer.

Process wise, Nintendo made no pretensions about their eight odd steps to get games from inception to sitting on the store. Sign up to their dev program, get a devkit. Then after that, quite some emphasis was put on getting an internal game code / id number for your game. Without having gone through the process myself, I interpret that as being the starting point for your game competing with others for internal marketing resources and attention within Nintendo. That it enabled the Nintendo rep championing your game to fight for its cause.

Now here, more than anywhere, I might be guilty of reading way too much into what the Nintendo guys were saying, but the message was that although you can get a game code any time, the earlier in the development cycle you can get your game on Nintendo's internal radar, the better.

Another strong signal I got was that after QA and Price Setting, came the point that localisation was highly recommended. Again, without wanting to over-emphasise things, it seems this step is one that corporate would in the past have insisted on. They might drop it for indies, but the impression I got was that if you want to work with, rather than against the system, it would be better not to skip it.

As for the "which flavour of the month bit of tech should your game use if you want to sell to us as platform holders", the answer was Miiverse and off-TV gaming. Admittedly, I have never heard of the latter, but fortunately, the emphasis was on Miiverse. This was covered in quite some detail, with particular pride shown by the Nintendo guys about how developers could interact with their fan base, and customers/players could, through the miiverse, discover what was trending or what their friends were playing through a more organic feeling, human-face recommendations engine.

[...]

Even chasing after the same group of developers, the personalities of each company shines through, like Nintendo and getting games 'localized', which tells me they expect a Japanese localization eventually for Western games, or MS's implication they would rather have seasoned vets than newcomers. And the push for Windows 8 app for newcomers just to get 'known' was a bit odd. Sony doing the same for Vita makes a bit more sense since the Vita is a known quantity, while nobody really knows how Windows 8 app store will work on the XBox One.

Edge Online was also at ICS. Posting selected quotes:
Sony

How to sign up: Sony has four separate routes into getting published on a Sony platform (PS4, Vita or PS3). Publisher and Developer Relations is the main route in. XDev works with indie studios in return for rights over their IP, in return for creative support and marketing – this is the route Media Molecule took with LittleBigPlanet. Strategic Content (Ahmed’s team) funds and publishes games that fill gaps in Sony’s portfolio or are politically desirable. Playstation First is an academic initiative run out of Sony Worldwide Studios. For Europe, you should sign up at either companyregistration.playstation.com or sonyxdeveurope.com. For more advice, tweet @shahidkamal. For America, Adam Boyes’ team handle kit loans, funding and support third-party developers.

Potential problems: Getting approved as a developer still isn’t guaranteed, especially for unproven studios. If you do get approved, devkits are free, but you’ll still have to pay for Unity Pro (around $1,500) and a variable price for the specific Unity-PS4 or -Vita licence, which could be rather large. You will also need to get your game age-rated, which again costs money.

What did the indies think?
Most indies were impressed by Ahmad’s talk, though it was lighter on detail than the later ones. “From a presentation perspective, Shahid stole the show,” said Des Gale of Altered Gene. ”I loved his Mario rendition on the guitar at the end and out of the lot of them his presentation was the least salesman-like. I liked his focus on overall game dev rather than just game dev on Sony… I suspect that my lack of reply about my latest game submission is more down to sheer volume of applicants rather than not wanting my game. But still, I haven’t heard anything from them in three months.”

MS
What’s changed: Every stage of signing up, certification, updating, Visual Studio, patching, testing, re-certifying, tools, market statistics, licensing, and release will be free on Xbox One. There will be one marketplace for all Xbox One games, with no indie ghetto, which apparently will be alphabetised. As Phil said, “You could be up [on the Xbox One store] between Forza and Halo… if your game begins with G.”

How they’re helping: Registered developers get two free devkit Xbox Ones. If you publish through Microsoft Studios, you also get your Unity license paid for. Microsoft’s Spotlight editorial team will be curating games on the marketplace, allowing for more discoverability, alongside their recommendations engine. All developers will get access to exactly the same tools, whether it’s a triple-A studio employing 500 developers or a lone developer working from home.

How to sign up: You can sign up at xbox.com/id. Once you’ve done that, you submit your game information (through a game concept form) and get a title ID, go through certification and testing, then publish your game to the Xbox Games Store.

Potential problems: A track record will help you to get approved. Microsoft says that it hopes that anyone with an Xbox One will eventually be able to develop games – but at the moment, the consoles don’t support this, so this is firmly theoretical PR talk. Microsoft also won’t publish objectionable content – but they wouldn’t be drawn on whether that was just adult content and emulators or political content as well. Unity, of course, is the preferred development tool for most indies (because of its ease-of-use and multiplatform capabilities) and, again, the Xbox One licenses for it will be expensive – but Waymouth was clear that Visual Studio Express is free and that developing a 64-bit C++ DirectX 11 Windows Store app is a great start for developing for Xbox One. It’s also worth noting that Microsoft wants to retain distinct price points – so it’s unlikely that there will be any 99c games on the platform – and is taking a wholesale model to the marketplace – so you set the price you sell your game to Microsoft at, and they choose the sale price for the public. However, this doesn’t preclude free-to-play games, season passes or in-app purchases. You will also need to get your game age-rated, at your expense.

During the session, there were questions about Microsoft’s track record on the Xbox 360 of not always delivering on promises – notably with Fez and Super Meat Boy. As Byron Atkinson-Jones of Xiotex Studios, who organised the event put it: “The cost of Unity deployment to the Sony and Microsoft platform worries me a lot and at this point in time it rules out using Unity for games I make on Vita/PS4 and Xbox One. As a one man developer that presents a huge risk as I now either have to spend a significant amount of time and cost making a cross platform C++ framework or I simply make games that are exclusive to each platform. Yet the sheer fact that as an indie developer I can now write games and get them published on Vita, PS4 and Xbox One is frankly phenomenal and it’s not one I’m going to pass up.”
Nintendo

How they’re helping: Although they aren’t giving away devkits for free, like their competitors, the cost of a Wii U kit (about the cost of a high-end gaming PC) includes the Unity License you’ll need to develop, which is probably worth way more than the cost of a kit anyway. “We’ve paid Unity to cover all the licenses that we think you will still need.” said Valiente. You can also develop for the Wii U in HTML5.

How to sign up: If you want to develop for 3DS, sign-up at warioworld.com – but you’ll need to be able to develop natively. If you want to develop for WiiU, go to wiiu-developers.nintendo.com. Theoretically you need a proven track record to sign up, but Valiente indicated that it wouldn’t be a huge barrier if you didn’t, and that Nintendo had already approved plenty of inexperienced developers. The key contact at Nintendo for signing up is Tim Symons. Once you’re signed up, you can apply for Title IDs for your games. Once you’ve got your ID, you go through testing, then you set the price, release date and eShop assets for the game. Then you’ve got ten days to launch.

Potential problems: Nintendo are in a tricky spot as far as indies are concerned. First, the Wii U is failing (and is increasingly being withdrawn from supermarket shelves) so isn’t an attractive market overall. Secondly, sales of anything but firstparty games on Nintendo platforms have traditionally been negligible.

The back-end technology for developers didn’t sound wonderfully developed, either – developers’ daily reports will now arrive as Excel spreadsheets, but it sounds like they will still only be paid quarterly. Similarly, if you want to be a firstparty developer or sell your games in Japan (rather than just the US and Europe), then the process is a lot longer – seven or eight months – and you will almost certainly need to visit the Kyoto head office.

The indies in the room were wowed by Nintendo’s turnaround. “Nintendo have reversed their opinions about indies expressed a few years ago and were endearingly frank about their process for indies, which may seem slightly obtuse but I know indies are enjoying working with them,” said Rob Davis of Playniac. Des Gayle of Altered Gene added: “Going from personal experience, Nintendo have been great about getting indies onside by recognising that game development in terms of geography and demography has changed. The biggest and most welcome response is the removal of the registered office restriction.”

In the end, if you're developing a game, its up to you to see what you can pay for upfront costs for devkits and licenses. As a consumer, all I care about is getting more good games to play and hopefully these new policies will provide that.

cmgfender

Banned
I still have no idea why MS is not coming out and saying how app support is gonna work. (besides it like....not being finalized....im saying its taking too long)

To their credit, most if not all the xbox 360 apps I used are REALLY great, probably because of a ton of oversight from MS themselves.

However, the idea of a dev able to get something like Plex on the x1 would be a huge selling point to me. I also think if there is gonna be any really cool innovations with kinect, its gonna come with indies, so im super glad they have access to it.

All and all, great to see each big company giving indies a chance to really shine. Could be an awesome and innovative generation.

Riki

Microsoft seem like they want to make a distinction between indie and Independent developers, with their preference very much for the latter. But that they can't say that out loud.

So this is why they called Killer Instinct an Indie game.
I don't think Microsoft gets it at all.

But..."indie"...is short for..."independent"?

Tripon

But..."indie"...is short for..."independent"?

MS wants the guys like Capy, DoubleFine, Niclis and WayForward. Fully functional independent studios made of dozens of employees with multiple projects working on the same time. They don't want games made by one person like Papers Please, or Cave Story.

MS wants the guys like Capy, DoubleFine, Niclis and WayForward. Fully functional independent studios made of dozens of employees with multiple projects working on the same time. They don't want games made by one person like Papers Please, or Cave Story.

Then they are not that much better than they were during the 360 days. We're going to have another XBLIG ghetto, aren't we?

The localization bit about Nintendo sounds interesting. It's like they're pushing to have those games more widely accesible. I know they don't like what Reggie calls "garage developers" (those want a quick cash as oposed to following game dev career), but they seem to be doing a lot to have that indi exposure.

To be fair, I wouldn't be exactly welcoming of Xblig type devs either. I would expect no matter the team, that the members to have a few completed titles under their belt, even if this was their first collective project.

Most "My first game" devs are shit. (Sorry Fish, Noggy and whoever else, but you are the exception, not the norm)

Seems that for Microsofts protesting otherwise, they want to keep the status quo

Windows 8 = Xblig

Main store indies = XBLA

The localization bit about Nintendo sounds interesting. It's like they're pushing to have those games more widely accesible. I know they don't like what Reggie calls "garage developers" (those want a quick cash as oposed to following game dev career), but they seem to be doing a lot to have that indi exposure.

OT but what cartoon is your avatar from.

To be fair, I wouldn't be exactly welcoming of Xblig type devs either. I would expect no matter the team, that the members to have a few completed titles under their belt, even if this was their first collective project.

Most "My first game" devs are shit. (Sorry Fish, Noggy and whoever else, but you are the exception, not the norm)

But don't you think they at least deserve a chance? Like, develop a game and if it bad, we'll know, but if it's good and catches on, then the platform it's on will benefit from it. Steam has the greenlight thing, so it's not as easy to become a new developer there. If these just start going to smartphones after being given the cold shoulder by console makers and their games become popular, you would need to throw the big cash to get it whe you could have gotten the games for essentially nothing.

OT but what cartoon is your avatar from.

AMaenaideyo (Katsu). Katsu if the second season, which that image is from. Kazuki, the girl, only appears in Katsu.

Tripon

But don't you think they at least deserve a chance? Like, develop a game and if it bad, we'll know, but if it's good and catches on, then the platform it's on will benefit from it. Steam has the greenlight thing, so it's not as easy to become a new developer there. If these just start going to smartphones after being given the cold shoulder by console makers and their games become popular, you would need to throw the big cash to get it whe you could have gotten the games for essentially nothing.

MS's response to that would probably be, "Develop a Windows 8 app first, see how that game is, and then maybe with your next game, we can talk about XBox One proper."

If its your first project, you will be happy to just complete it. Put it up on PC, or mobile stores. You dont have to use steam.

If its good, it will find itself in the relevant places anyway. If its not, you have at least gained enough experience to inform development of your next game.

No other creative industry allows creators to profit off their first work, just because its a new project. Every writer will show you stacks of rejected novels, every filmmaker has a bunch of crappy shorts before their first big job.

You need experience to create a good game. It rarely comes together the first time round.

MS's response to that would probably be, "Develop a Windows 8 app first, see how that game is, and then maybe with your next game, we can talk about XBox One proper."

Yeah, but I don't think any game would become popular ob Windows 8 regardless of quality. That's just a horse without legs.

If its your first project, you will be happy to just complete it. Put it up on PC, or mobile stores. You dont have to use steam.

If its good, it will find itself in the relevant places anyway. If its not, you have at least gained enough experience to inform development of your next game.

No other creative industry allows creators to profit off their first work, just because its a new project. Every writer will show you stacks of rejected novels, every filmmaker has a bunch of crappy shorts before their first big job.

You need experience to create a good game. It rarely comes together the first time round.

But the difference here is that they would be making these games out of their own pockets. It's not like in movies, in most cases, where you have someone else gutting the costs be it big or independent. People will decide if it's worth their money. Limiting their options will just harm both parties in such a competitive environment these days.

Tripon

To be fair to MS, Sony's suggesting something similar in regards of PS4/Vita. They want first timers to focus their games on the Vita before trying to work on the PS4. The difference being is I don't think Sony will put up a barrier like MS seems to be doing with Xbox One Live/Windows 8 to determined first timers.

To be fair to MS, Sony's suggesting something similar in regards of PS4/Vita. They want first timers to focus their games on the Vita before trying to work on the PS4. The difference being is I don't think Sony will put up a barrier like MS seems to be doing with Xbox One Live/Windows 8 to determined first timers.

Microsoft's probably more gunshy on that considering what they went through on XBLA and dealing with the likes of Phil Fish. It seems more to be "Do something small and show you can handle that and we'll have a word with you". It's like an audition or technical test before you get the job and not really a barrier. If a one guy team can make a good windows app and has a good ethic and pitch for their game, I'd imagine Microsoft would consider him for the indie program as well as Sony.

Tripon

yup, and 1 or 2 times he seemed to be making assumptions about what they said to him, I think he should have cleared it up before publishing.

He answered it in the comments:

James Coote 13 Sep 2013 at 1:12 pm PST
profile image
I think by the time you've got to that point in the process, a). you'll already have had those conversations with Nintendo, and b). they probably aren't going to drop you just because you don't localise. Edit: this was step 7/8 in their process, with #8 being "launch game!"

The way it came across in the talk was more a hint. "This is how it used to be", and not a hard and fast rule, or an area where they are now more willing to be flexible with indies

But the difference here is that they would be making these games out of their own pockets. It's not like in movies, in most cases, where you have someone else gutting the costs be it big or independent. People will decide if it's worth their money. Limiting their options will just harm both parties in such a competitive environment these days.

And how exactly do you think indie shorts are filmed and books are written? Hint: thats not like the movies either.

It is the nature of the creative industries. Nobody gives you a chance until you prove you can do something with that chance. Its a much better system than the "Stuck in xblig" system of this generation. Least you only need to make one competent app.

Plus, even with a dev kit and support, indies are Still making games out their own pocket anyway.

And how exactly do you think indie shorts are filmed and books are written? Hint: thats not like the movies either.

It is the nature of the creative industries. Nobody gives you a chance until you prove you can do something with that chance. Its a much better system than the "Stuck in xblig" system of this generation. Least you only need to make one competent app.

Plus, even with a dev kit and support, indies are Still making games out their own pocket anyway.

I don't know about MS, but I do believe Sony and Nintendo don't require concept approval. However, they do require that your game is functional, as in, it needs to be playable and not a scam. Whether it's good, bad, or boring is for people to decide. Books are different since publishers have to put down the money for printed copies, copyright guidance, designers (for the cover and stuff), etc. It's the same for movies unless it's out of your own pocket.

That's why indies can now do self-publishing on these systems, just like how you can self-publish your own book using Adobe inDesign or something.

Tripon

Microsoft's probably more gunshy on that considering what they went through on XBLA and dealing with the likes of Phil Fish. It seems more to be "Do something small and show you can handle that and we'll have a word with you". It's like an audition or technical test before you get the job and not really a barrier. If a one guy team can make a good windows app and has a good ethic and pitch for their game, I'd imagine Microsoft would consider him for the indie program as well as Sony.

Hey, not everyone is Fish. But this policy also potentially makes them miss out on the next Edmund McMillen, and that's should be an issue for MS that they need to fix.

I don't know about MS, but I do believe Sony and Nintendo don't require concept approval. However, they do require that your game is functional, as in, it needs to be playable and not a scam. Whether it's good, bad, or boring is for people to decide. Books are different since publishers have to put down the money for printed copies, copyright guidance, designers (for the cover and stuff), etc. It's the same for movies unless it's out of your own pocket.

That's why indies can now do self-publishing on these systems, just like how you can self-publish your own book using Adobe inDesign or something.

And they can still decide. Elsewhere. No one is saying you cant sell your game. But you shouldn't be given a spot in the main store until you can prove you can make a good game.

At the end of day, not only are you doing yourself a disservice by being on the main store before your ready, you are doing your fellow indies a disservice. How many people, in this very forum, have written off indie games as crappy, empty experiences that pander to nostalgia with the only hook being that they are "indie" games. Like it or not Xblig games have fostered that perception.

Im sorry. These "My first game" devs do not deserve digital shelf space next to Halo 5. Point blank period.

Nor the web porting stuff
He doesn't mention Sony loaning out devkits for free either. What your point? He's covering what was said in the talks at the event he attended, not the entirety of all of their indie outreach programs. If it didn't come up, it was likely because Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft didn't bring it up.

GulAtiCa

I said this before, but I'm really impressed with all Nintendo has done recently.

When I applied to be a Wii U developer, I always imagined I would have to pay up front for a dev kit. I mean, I heard of developers getting temp free Wii U kits, but I never in my wildest dreams would imagine I get the same treatment. And yet fast forward to the present, and my Wii U dev kit is in the mail and I don't have to pay for it for a long while.

Heck, I can publish a few games in that time and use the profits to easily pay the dev kit off.

And they can still decide. Elsewhere. No one is saying you cant sell your game. But you shouldn't be given a spot in the main store until you can prove you can make a good game.

At the end of day, not only are you doing yourself a disservice by being on the main store before your ready, you are doing your fellow indies a disservice. How many people, in this very forum, have written off indie games as crappy, empty experiences that pander to nostalgia with the only hook being that they are "indie" games. Like it or not Xblig games have fostered that perception.

Im sorry. These "My first game" devs do not deserve digital shelf space next to Halo 5. Point blank period.

I don't know, I personally believe that they do deserve to be on the store. Whether they get spotlight next to bigger games will depend on if they have made an impacting game before. Licensed games are known to be bad in general, with the exception of a few, but if they get digital releases, they share the same digital store as big games.

Newcomers deserve to be on the store if these companies want self-publishing to mean something. Proven developers deserve more attention. Puzzles and Dragons is big in Japan, which is why Nintendo is handling all distribution for the 3DS release over there, just like what MS for Minecraft. I think that's the best way to have both and still differentiate from one another, new and proven.

I said this before, but I'm really impressed with all Nintendo has done recently.

When I applied to be a Wii U developer, I always imagined I would have to pay up front for a dev kit. I mean, I heard of developers getting temp free Wii U kits, but I never in my wildest dreams would imagine I get the same treatment. And yet fast forward to the present, and my Wii U dev kit is in the mail and I don't have to pay for it for a long while.

Heck, I can publish a few games in that time and use the profits to easily pay the dev kit off.

Oh, very cool. Pretty good news that they're going that route too.

I don't know, I personally believe that they do deserve to be on the store. Whether they get spotlight next to bigger games will depend on if they have made an impacting game before. Licensed games are known to be bad in general, with the exception of a few, but if they get digital releases, they share the same digital store as big games.

Newcomers deserve to be on the store if these companies want self-publishing to mean something. Proven developers deserve more attention. Puzzles and Dragons is big in Japan, which is why Nintendo is handling all distribution for the 3DS release over there, just like what MS for Minecraft. I think that's the best way to have both and still differentiate from one another, new and proven.

But this is the problem. With Microsoft removing the XBLA and XBLIG catagories thats exactly would happen. Look at the amount of Minecraft clones there are on XBLIG, do really think some indies will be above Naming their game so it shows next to big titles alphabetically? The only way to prevent this is to segment these games somehow and without returning to the status quo, the windows 8 store is the best way to do it.

DSix

Banned
Unfortunately the interviewer seems a bit too clueless to really take his word and interpretations for granted. We learned nothing except that the big 3 were at an indie conference

But this is the problem. With Microsoft removing the XBLA and XBLIG catagories thats exactly would happen. Look at the amount of Minecraft clones there are on XBLIG, do really think some indies will be above Naming their game so it shows next to big titles alphabetically? The only way to prevent this is to segment these games somehow and without returning to the status quo, the windows 8 store is the best way to do it.

Well, we have clones of pretty much everything even from proven developers, so I don't think that's a big enough issue to exclude newcomers. While the Windows 8 store is not bad, they are more likely to lose what little money they had on there. MS' s previous atempt at capitalizing on something backfired on them with Windows Live, and now that that's closing for good, it doesn't entice much confidence in the W8 store. Steam would've been nice, but now there's the Greenlight barrier that even blocks proven developers.

Now that is good to hear that loaner dev kits aren't just for the established guys.

Tripon

Unfortunately the interviewer seems a bit too clueless to really take his word and interpretations for granted. We learned nothing except that the big 3 were at an indie conference

Eh, I'd argue just getting confirmation from somebody who were there that these are the policies the big 3 are promoting is news in and itself. Its one thing to claim in a press event, or in an interview that this is what we're doing, its another to actually show that they're doing it.

Meesh

Any of your games out/near completion? I'd really like to give them a shot :)

nasos_333

I don't see a mention about Nintendo offering free Unity licenses.

That was my first thought, since a console version has a $40K cost for PSN/XBL (and 80K for a disk based game)

at least for PS3/xbox 360 case, i dont know about PS4/xbox one, nothing has been announced for those yet

But right now, Nintendo with this move, is by miles the most appealing platform for indies, since they make us a 40K gift right from the start

I dont know what could be more important than that TBH, this is a huge edge for WiiU

Tripon

Wow, its $40k for a PS3/360 Unity license? That's crazy. I don't think unity is free for the XBox One either.

Well yeah, the whole point of this new independence movement is to not use a publisher.

So it's free on PS4 even if you don't sign a publisher agreement? The EDGE article seems to suggest that's not the case with non approved developers having to pay for everything themselves.

Tripon

So it's free on PS4 even if you don't sign a publisher agreement? The EDGE article seems to suggest that's not the case with non approved developers having to pay for everything themselves.

From what I understand, Sony will lend you/give you a free PS4 devkit, but you have to pay for the Unity license, which can cost more than the devkit. And they don't offer to pay for costs unless you're willing to sign as a Sony developer and give up your IP.

The Unity license costs seems to be pretty high.

In that sense, seems like Nintendo's the most progressive out of the three, in terms of engine support. You'll still have to pay for the Wii U dev kit, but you can set up favorable terms to pay it off, and the software licenses makes a lot less inexpensive than the initial value would indicate.

From what I understand, Sony will lend you/give you a free PS4 devkit, but you have to pay for the Unity license, which can cost more than the devkit. And they don't offer to pay for costs unless you're willing to sign as a Sony developer and give up your IP.

The Unity license costs seems to be pretty high.

In that sense, seems like Nintendo's the most progressive out of the three, in terms of engine support. You'll still have to pay for the Wii U dev kit, but you can set up favorable terms to pay it off, and the software licenses makes a lot less inexpensive than the initial value would indicate.

So would it be fair to say that Sony's stance isn't all that different from Microsoft's but perhaps more open and welcoming in that getting approved is easier than it would be by MS?

It's shocking that Nintendo, of all companies, is the one that's most progressive and favourable towards indies. Such a shame the Wii U hasn't made a bigger impact. If it had, developers could have forced the others to follow in Nintendo's footsteps. Still time though...

Top Bottom