• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamasutra] Inside the next Xbox: Project Scorpio and its brand-new dev kit

AmyS

xbox_scorpio_dev_kits_stacked1.JPG

Going for the Pro look ; )

That's 48 Teraflops of Scorpio dev kits :p

JonCha

Really excited to see what the final design is like given that design. I'm expecting a few gasps at E3 if so, especially if they go for $399. That'd be an awesome price.

KageMaru

“You can just write to the original set of [Xbox One] requirements that we have today, and then we'll do the work to make sure that it actually runs better. But [developers] don't have to do any custom work for Scorpio,” Choudhry told Gamasutra. “We're just inviting people to come in and take advantage of it. In terms of requirements if they do decide to take advantage of it, we want that content to run, at minimum the same as but ideally better than it does on the original Xbox One.“

I'm sure this is more developer friendly but I prefer Sony's method of requiring Pro enhancements on games now that the system is out. The quote above makes it sound like if a developer wanted to make it look and run the same between XBO and Scorpio, they could.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I really like the half and half design with the disc in the black part. Hopefully the retail box looks something like that or the S.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm sure this is more developer friendly but I prefer Sony's method of requiring Pro enhancements on games now that the system is out. The quote above makes it sound like if a developer wanted to make it look and run the same between XBO and Scorpio, they could.

that's exactly what he's saying. Yeah the pro patches released so far have been pretty cool mostly, but do you want that or full on consistency of knowing every game has a boost mode like upgrade where the GPU and CPU automatically upgrades dynamic res games and variable FPS games?

Devs have the option of just letting the hardware do its thing or upgrade the games themselves

KORNdoggy

Yeah, that's what i'm saying. Software side limitations like resolution and FPS caps are still on the table, they seem to not have counted them. But they saying that their main goal is to just have games run better by default(aka games that have variable res or unlocked FPS) without mandating patches to take advantage of it

so like boost mode then... well yeah, i kinda expected that given even the xbone s does the same thing (to a lesser extent obviously) i was hoping they'd be able to do pro-like patches without any dev involvement. just render all games 4k system side instead of requiring patches like the PS4Pro.

Ship it in time for Shadow of War. Ship it before Destiny 2* and RDR 2. Have it ready for Crackdown 3 and other new titles announced at E3.

*announce that characters can be easily transferred between Xbox and PC. ;)

But we thought 4K TVs would get to scale in the middle of this generation. So we designed a console for 2016, and a console for 2017. We were kind of working on both plans simultaneously. And at some point, we got to -- let's just call it greenlight. For what we would do in 2016, and we sat around a table not too dissimlar from this and said, I think we need to do more than what the silicon is that's available in 2016 at a price point that a console customer would want to pay. So that's when we stopped that effort.

I knew it they had tricked Sony into coming 2016 with the Pro.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
so like boost mode then... well yeah, i kinda expected that given even the xbone s does the same thing (to a lesser extent obviously) i was hoping they'd be able to do pro-like patches without any dev involvement. just render all games 4k system side instead of requiring patches like the PS4Pro.

that's impossible. Devs HAVE to work on their games to have them work in a certain way to conform to their specific engine and optimization constraints, you can't force many system wide things like that without having to worry about the stability of the source code breaking things.

MarveI

So how much is Scorpio going to look like that dev kit ?

Is it fairly certain that it'll look very different because they told DF they wanted to keep the announcement and look of the console to themselves for E3 ?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
AMD guy on the Wan Show used 480x as the example for performance, but didn't slip up and say that it was.

More people should watch it tbh.
I had a R9 390(5.1TFLOPS) and I thought I upgraded to a RX 480(5.8TFLOPS). I was disappointed because the R9 390 outperforms the RX 480 by around 12% at 4K resolution across over a dozen titles. Makes sense to me now that I had likely purchased the successor to the 380x.

Everybody has assumed there is only a fully enabled 36CU Polaris 10, and that the Scorpio is "just a minor upgrade" with 4CUs added. In all likelihood a 44CU chip has secretly existed with MS. So the Scorpio is a "RX 490X" with 4CUs disabled for yields. lol. Once again, can't wait for that layout or die shot to see if this hunch is correct.
---
P.S.- I ran Forza Apex with FX-8350 @ 4.2GHz and RX 480 at 1305MHz core/2250MHz mem at the ultra settings describe by DF on a wet track with full grid and their performance is at least 25% better than what I experience. I get frames mostly in the 50s with drops into the 30s. Scorpio is a beast.

shandy706

But we thought 4K TVs would get to scale in the middle of this generation. So we designed a console for 2016, and a console for 2017. We were kind of working on both plans simultaneously. And at some point, we got to -- let's just call it greenlight. For what we would do in 2016, and we sat around a table not too dissimlar from this and said, I think we need to do more than what the silicon is that's available in 2016 at a price point that a console customer would want to pay. So that's when we stopped that effort.

I knew it they had tricked Sony into coming 2016 with the Pro.

Neat, they had a console design to go up against Pro, but decided to wait. I like info like this.

I hope the final design is the same.

btags

Wasn't it stated in one fo the digital foundry articles that the scorpio retail unitl will have 44 CUs with 4 disabled to get 40 acitve units?

Space_nut

I had a R9 390(5.1TFLOPS) and I thought I upgraded to a RX 480(5.8TFLOPS). I was disappointed because the R9 390 outperforms the RX 480 by around 12% at 4K resolution across over a dozen titles. Makes sense to me now that I had likely purchased the successor to the 380x.

Everybody has assumed there is only a fully enabled 36CU Polaris 10, and that the Scorpio is "just a minor upgrade" with 4CUs added. In all likelihood a 44CU chip has secretly existed with MS. So the Scorpio is a "RX 490x" with 4CUs disabled for yields. lol. Once again, can't wait for that layout or die shot to see if this hunch is correct.
---
P.S.- I ran Forza Apex with FX-8350 @ 4.2GHz and RX 480 at 1305MHz core/2250MHz mem at the ultra settings describe by DF on a wet track with full grid and their performance is at least 25% better than what I experience. I get frames mostly in the 50s with drops into the 30s. Scorpio is a beast.

:) I want Scorpio right now

KageMaru

that's exactly what he's saying. Yeah the pro patches released so far have been pretty cool mostly, but do you want that or full on consistency of knowing every game has a boost mode like upgrade where the GPU and CPU automatically upgrades dynamic res games and variable FPS games?

Devs have the option of just letting the hardware do its thing or upgrade the games themselves

What I quoted didn't seem to talk about past games but future games unless I'm reading it wrong. I like the consistency of having a boost mode enabled for all previous unpatched games. However that quote made it seem like there is no requirement for future games to be better when running on Scorpio. So if a developer wanted to make a game look/run the same on all three systems (XBO, XBOS, and Scorpio) they can do that. I much rather them at least mandate that all games after a set date must have some kind of Scorpio enhancements. Just like on the Pro, I'm sure Scorpio enhancements will be a regular thing, but I'm concerned about some games launching with no Scorpio enhancements with developers planning on adding that support in a later patch.

Game development doesn't really work like that. The best devs can really do is enable a dynamic resolution go up to 4k but that would still require a Scorpio patch since XBO only goes up to 1080p.

I wonder if the frame rate display is just for devkits, or if not if a develop can opt to turn it off. I can see developers maybe not wanting users constantly conscious of the frame rate of their games.

TLZ

Banned
I like the Scorpio look. Looks more like my og Xbone. Good as I dont like the xbone s look that most of you do.

MaulerX

It looks great IMHO,a cross between the S and the One...the XBoX X... ;)(name confirmed from my ass lol ;) )

So, let's say it really turns out to be the Xbox One X, what are the odds that (for nostalgias sake) they would implement some form of an actual "X" into the design of the console ala OG Xbox? Maybe not as dramatic but something more subtle?

Really like the vision of spencer. This is a great console assembled and should make the bar higher for the PS5/XB2. Work on that games library now.

sangreal

I wonder if the frame rate display is just for devkits, or if not if a develop can opt to turn it off. I can see developers maybe not wanting users constantly conscious of the frame rate of their games.

it's for the devkit

it's not a framerate display either -- just a display that can show useful debugging info such as the framerate

Bsigg12

Nice that Microsoft is giving devs a kit that is more powerful and telling them to build their games big then scale down. Yet we'll still hear the xbox one is holding back scorpio argument.

Yep. This clarification should help. It'll be interesting over the 2 years to see the discrepancies between the One S and Scorpio in each game.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
:) I want Scorpio right now
Are you sure you shouldn't be...*CONCERNED* ;)
---
In the words of the immortal SenjutsuSage, "Not listening to anyone basically saying to not get excited lol."

Phil Spencer and Scorpio got me feeling like Albert...
concern.gif

Can't wait to see the GPU customization they've done!

That's your takeaway? Sony has no plans at all even when they've repeatedly said they weren't done with generations and Microsoft has said they were? Even though they now say they aren't anymore?

And you guys wonder why these threads always get derailed. What nonsense.

The post history feature is a beautiful thing sometimes. Use it to see you're responding to occasionally.

Ricker

So, let's say it really turns out to be the Xbox One X, what are the odds that (for nostalgias sake) they would implement some form of an actual "X" into the design of the console ala OG Xbox? Maybe not as dramatic but something more subtle?

Yep but I think they will stick with the ''X'' theme whatever the name is,like on the power button...

Top Bottom