• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamasutra] Inside the next Xbox: Project Scorpio and its brand-new dev kit

My take from the article is Phil is already planning for what comes after Scorpio. “I've said, and this is actually true, the planning for what happens after Scorpio in the console space is already underway". That's more confirmation of a true next gen system in the works from Microsoft than I've heard from Sony. Yet many pseudo product managers on gaf have all of sudden pegged PS5 is coming 2018/19 as Scorpio news broke.

Absolutely pathetic. And you're one of the first to start crying if a MS thread goes to shit.

Reaping what you sow as far as I'm concerned.

MilkyJoe

ps4-pro-neo-devkit-testkit-ofw-3-70-pictures-and-screenshots-jpg.1681

55313_04_ps4-pro-dev-kit-auctioned-800gb-encrypted-data.jpg

stare_look_away_disgusted.gif

arhra

Wasn't it stated in one fo the digital foundry articles that the scorpio retail unitl will have 44 CUs with 4 disabled to get 40 acitve units?

Yeah, 4 blocks of 11, with each block being able to disable one CU to improve yields. I guess they're just skimming off the chips with 44 fully-functional CUs to put into the devkits.

How cool would it be if they kept those buttons on the front and let you assign them to launching specific games. I would actually find that useful.

m23

How cool would it be if they kept those buttons on the front and let you assign them to launching specific games. I would actually find that useful.

Why not just choose the game using the UI? Using those buttons seems like more work.

Usually I just grab my controller and walk away while turning the console on using my controller.

Why not just choose the game using the UI? Using those buttons seems like more work.

Usually I just grab my controller and walk away while turning the console on using my controller.

Yeah everyone has thier use cases. I keep my controller next to the console in my living room. If the button also powered up the console, I would likely hit the necessary button. Have one for Jackbox games. Have another for Halo 5.

Jumeira

Banned
This machine is just so well thought out, sounds elegant in its implementation, but then I expected as much after how great Xbox S is as a slim model (4k br, higher clocked, internal power source, HDR, refined controller ). Loving what I hear, everything is seamless, it just 'works', for 360 & XBS. Thank god they're not implementing that clunky 'mode' option for thier games.

I mean, we will get a better performing Witcher 3 out the box. I'm now holding out on playing Blood and Wine until I get my Scorpio.

Space_nut

What’s more interesting about the Scorpio console is that, according to Microsoft, it’s designed to incorporate basic, oft-used DirectX12 draw calls into the GPU command processor itself, potentially freeing up some processing power for devs.

“It's the first time I'm aware of us ever doing something like this,” Gammill said. “We actually pulled some of the DX12 runtime components directly into the hardware. So basically, these high-frequency DX12 draw calls you'd normally call [to output a frame, for example] which would take up a lot of GPU and CPU cycles, now that that's baked into the system itself, it makes the system significantly more efficient.”

Gammill estimates this can lead to situations where hundreds of specific API calls can be cut down to 10-15, potentially giving developers a bit of extra efficiency to play with.

This sounds so good. I really hope they go into full detail on all the custom work that went into this.

Lol. I wouldn't be surprised though if it gets a August release alongside Shadow of Mordor.
August strikes me as a terrible time to launch. At least in the northern hemisphere people are on holiday, going out, at the beach, etc. There's just not the focus/interest on gaming as there would be when the weather starts to turn.

I'm surprised and actually happy that they're being so open about it.

Usually with consoles you have to wait for teardowns to see the internals and details, as theyre worried about their competitors seeing what theyre doing, but I get the feeling MS know they have the free space to define the console how they want, with playstation and nintendo having released their consoles.

Weve already seen all the way down to the silicon, and when they do announce it all we need to see now is the box shape and the games that'll take advantage of it. Its a very refreshing direction theyre going in. Im a Sony fan but by releasing the Pro a year earlier they have made a massive mistake, and handed MS a free run until next gen.

AlStrong

Everybody has assumed there is only a fully enabled 36CU Polaris 10, and that the Scorpio is "just a minor upgrade" with 4CUs added. In all likelihood a 44CU chip has secretly existed with MS. So the Scorpio is a "RX 490X" with 4CUs disabled for yields. lol. Once again, can't wait for that layout or die shot to see if this hunch is correct.

It's not an assumption. The die layout of P10 clearly shows 36 compute units.

That's also not how chip design works. The number of compute units they shove in there is arbitrary up to the maximum supported per shader engine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope the comments about PC minimum spec vs recommended spec were Gamasutra's comments and not MS'. Minimum spec is not a base spec on PC and that approach could see XB1 suffering as a result

Messaging has been pretty on point so far. Gives me hope for a lot of cool games at E3 since they're getting all the tech stuff out of the way early. Also starting to think they'll be releasing this early, maybe before Destiny, so they can market the fact it's the best console experience for all the big games this Fall.

SDMG

Unable to make a thread

Could this be a Scorpio event??

Microsoft announces hardware event for May 2nd in New York

Microsoft is planning to hold a special hardware and software event in New York City on May 2nd. After weeks of rumors over Microsoft’s plans, the software maker started emailing out press invites today. The event will begin at 9:30AM ET on May 2nd, and sources familiar with Microsoft's plans tell The Verge not to expect a Surface Phone or a new Surface Pro device.

We’re still expecting Microsoft to unveil at least one piece of new hardware, but it’s not likely to have a successor to the Surface Book ready just yet. It’s also possible Microsoft may take this opportunity to reveal the hardware design of its upcoming Xbox Project Scorpio, just ahead of its E3 event in June, or a successor to the Surface 3 which was designed with students in mind.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/12/15241576/microsoft-hardware-event-may-2nd-new-york-city

RedAssedApe

Banned
Lol. I wouldn't be surprised though if it gets a August release alongside Shadow of Mordor.

I would. Shadow of Mordor doesn't look like a graphical showcase right now.

More likely case imo would be Forza and other fall releases like destiny 2 and Battlefront 2 (ea access). Assuming they also have other 1st party titles ready otherwise they are gonna have a fall like 2015 sony with no exclusives and rely on third parties. Which would be weird since they don't have the battlefront and cod marketing like sony did.

They're also still saying Custom CPU + GPU w/ Polaris.
Not "Polaris" but just "Polaris features"? I wonder why that distinction.

Good but MS will all ways have a edge on any PS5 hardware in the X86 CPU to GPU.
Do to owning the DX12 IP hardware in Scorpio.
You're incorrect. The DX12 improvements aren't an advantage over other APIs, they were necessary to catch up with other APIs.

But they saying that their main goal is to just have games run better by default(aka games that have variable res or unlocked FPS) without mandating patches to take advantage of it
This is exactly what Pro does.

I am saying that there is no boost mode option or pro patches, the hardware by default runs the games as if boost mode was always enabled and they seem to not be mandating patches or updating for the scorpio based on what Phil has said, just having old and new games run better based on the hardware itself doing the brute force.
All this describes the Pro as well. Turn on Boost Mode once, never touch it again, and you have the exact same setup.

I think that's a better approach than "some games get patched, others don't, we'll introduce boost mode months down the line, some games may be affected, others wont" ect.
Well, Scorpio's boost mode is getting implemented months after Pro's. :) But seriously, the stuff about "some games patched or not, some affected or not" is all true for both machines.

I reeeeaallly am hoping for an August/September drop (at the latest). Get ahead of the initial Fall lineup.
Digital Foundry stated a Q4 release in their initial report. I don't know if this was updated info, or based on the "holiday 2017" announcement from last E3.

Yeah the pro patches released so far have been pretty cool mostly, but do you want that or full on consistency of knowing every game has a boost mode like upgrade where the GPU and CPU automatically upgrades dynamic res games and variable FPS games?
Again, what you're describing is exactly like Pro. Scorpio will give bigger benefits due to extra power, but the boosting/patching parameters are identical.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It's not an assumption. The die layout of P10 clearly shows 36 compute units.

That's also not how chip design works. The number of compute units they shove in there is arbitrary up to the maximum supported per shader engine.

MS basically selected a configuration that is similar to the 44CU 390X for their dev kit, then disabled 4CUs for yield. Just like the R9 390 I had which beats my RX 480 by around 12% in 4K. I realize the 390 has some differences like 64ROPs and only 5.1TFLOPS rating, but higher pixel fill rate. Both offer around 160GT/s texture fill rate. From DF's description of settings and performance in Forza, Scorpio beats my RX 480 clocked to 1305MHz core/2250MHz by around 25%. That's about what I would have expected from the 390/390X successor. I'm really excited about that since my PC is $850 right now on pcpartpicker not including UHD Blu-Ray and Scorpio will be $399-499. What an amazing deal.

Space_nut

Man playing all previous XB1 games with 16xAF and best performance with no patches is sublime. On top of doing it for 360 games as well will just make me revisit so many games

Not "Polaris" but just "Polaris features"? I wonder why that distinction.

You're incorrect. The DX12 improvements aren't an advantage over other APIs, they were necessary to catch up with other APIs.

This is exactly what Pro does.

All this describes the Pro as well. Turn on Boost Mode once, never touch it again, and you have the exact same setup.

Well, Scorpio's boost mode is getting implemented months after Pros's. :) But seriously, the stuff about "some games patched or not, some affected or not" is all true for both machines.

Digital Foundry stated a Q4 release in their initial report. I don't know if this was updated info, or based on the "holiday 2017" announcement from last E3.

Again, what you're describing is exactly like Pro.

Isn't it slighty different though? As games will supposedly have access to all of the new hardware, however may undergo tweaks to maintain compatibility if any issues arise?

If it all sounds too good to be true, there is one minor drawback. Some of the enhancements may cause compatibility issues on a very small percentage of titles, meaning that certain improvements listed above may not apply to all games. It's similar to the way that boost mode on PS4 Pro has great compatibility overall but has issues on a small minority of the library. The difference is that in this case, Microsoft is ensuring that all titles work, and this means that some of the five benefits above may need to be dialled back. The onus is on the platform holder to ensure that everything 'just works'.

"We're going to be the ones that ensure that your games run as fast as they can in terms of all those five different features, the best that they possibly can," Andrew Goossen explains. "There will be some cases where we have to dial down some of those attributes... in some games we potentially have to dial down the number of CUs, for example, to maintain compatibility with that title. But again these are all things that Microsoft does, we've always done, that's true of all 360 titles on Xbox One. We just make sure it runs the best it possibly can on Scorpio and we're very excited that Scorpio really will be the best place to run all your Xbox content."
- Source (Five ways your Xbox One and 360 games will be better on Scorpio)

EDIT:

MS basically selected a configuration that is similar to the 44CU 390X for their dev kit, then disabled 4CUs for yield. Just like the R9 390 I had which beats my RX 480 by around 12% in 4K. I realize the 390 has some differences like 64ROPs and only 5.1TFLOPS rating. Both offer around 160GT/s. From DF's description of settings and performance in Forza, Scorpio beats my RX 480 clocked to 1305MHz core/2250MHz by around 25%. That's about what I would have expected from the 390/390X successor. I'm really excited about that since my PC is $850 right now on pcpartpicker not including UHD Blu-Ray and Scorpio will be $399-499. What an amazing deal.

"Upgrading" from a R9 390 to a RX 480 is a somewhat strange upgrade path if you're concerned about performance. They're fairly close performers and both have 8GB of memory. Were you concerned about power consumption when you "upgraded"?

sangreal

Not the exact same, because Microsoft is taking on responsibility to ensure your games still work, while Sony isn't -- they just give the option and say use at your own risk

There are also other differences like the texture filtering, if that pans out. Boost mode also doesn't use all of the CUs

"You can just write to the original set of [Xbox One] requirements that we have today, and then we'll do the work to make sure that it actually runs better. But [developers] don't have to do any custom work for Scorpio,” Choudhry told Gamasutra. “We're just inviting people to come in and take advantage of it. In terms of requirements if they do decide to take advantage of it, we want that content to run, at minimum the same as but ideally better than it does on the original Xbox One.“

So goodt.

This!

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
While that article doesn't appear to provide a lot of genuinely new info, it seems Microsoft are making a genuine effort to make development for Scorpio as painless and smooth as possible, which is a great thing.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
"Upgrading" from a R9 390 to a RX 480 is a somewhat strange upgrade path if you're concerned about performance. They're fairly close performers and both have 8GB of memory. Were you concerned about power consumption when you "upgraded"?
It was a side-grade out of curiosity. I had already seen the benchmarks by that point. Sold my 390 PCS+ a couple weeks before and ended up paying the $20 difference. I wanted a 8-core AMD CPU and Polaris GPU so I could get an approximation of the PS4Pro and possibly Scorpio.

P.S.- The difference in power consumption and thermals is pretty substantial, but had nothing to do with it. I have a Core V21 case with vented metal top panel(all panels can swap so either vertical or horizontal mobo orientation is possible <3 my case). The metal top panel would get hot enough with the R9 390 PCS+ to slow cook an egg. RX 480 basically nothing. Only redeeming performance I've seen is in TW3, where it beats my old 390 by 4-5fps.

Also, RX 480 has more oc headroom. I've passed Fire Strike benchmark with a 1390MHz core. I play at 1375MHz/2050MHz for everyday use. Yields 13,256 Firestrike 2013 graphics score. Not too shabby for a $260 card in 2016.

Isn't it slight different though? As games will supposedly have access to all of the new hardware, however may undergo tweaks to maintain compatibility if any issues arise?
Yes, but this wasn't the stuff Inuhanyou was talking about. He was discussing which games will get boosted or require patches, which isn't different.

The difference you mention is three points, one of which isn't fully understood yet.

1. Pro only engages upclocks for Boost Mode; Scorpio engages upclick and its extra hardware. Scorpio boosts will thus usually be bigger (though still capped at the original resolution and framerate targets, so not always).
2. Pro lets the user turn off boosting if it causes a game to act wrongly. Scorpio does not give the user this power, even though point 1 potentially means more games will have issues.
3. Instead, Microsoft will individually profile every game, and turn boosting down or off, in order to make it run right again.

This last point we don't know the details of. Will it be a growing universal whitelist pushed out to all Scorpios over the network as updated? Or will it be determined at runtime by some integrated management software? If the latter, how accurate and consistent will it be?

If the former, how long will it take Microsoft to examine every game? And how will games run before they get profiled? Will they just not be boosted? Or will they boost and run badly, with no way to stop that?

This is something the next interviewer should ask about.

onQ123

Seriously what's going on here?

Scorpio & Xbox One S are both on 16nm but Scorpio only need a 245W PSU vs Xbox One S 120W PSU with 4.3X the GPU power , higher clocked CPU & 12GB of GDDR5.

This is the most impressive part of all this to me .

arhra

Im glad the render was mirrored. Need all my disc trays on the left

The exploded view/motherboard shot aren't mirrored. If you look at the high-res motherboard shot, you can easily read some of the labels on the board.

Looking at the port layout though, what I think is going on is that the whole system is assembled "upside-down", with the board on top and the cooler underneath. If it's the usual way around, with the cooler on top and the drive on the right, the ports on the back would be in the opposite order to the layout on the S, and they're stated multiple times that a goal was to make unhooking your old console and slotting in a Scorpio to be as painless as possible, so it makes sense to assume the port ordering would be the same. This would also mean that the intakes for the cooler could be hidden on the underside of the unit, and in the black lower portion of the case (assuming it roughly matches the devkit in terms of aesthetics).

Ushay

Scorpio & Xbox One S are both on 16nm but Scorpio only need a 245W PSU vs Xbox One S 120W PSU with 4.3X the GPU power , higher clocked CPU & 12GB of GDDR5.

I may be wrong, but it may have something to do with the 'Hovis' method they were discussing in the DF video. Where they have an extremely efficient method of powering the silicon. They stated every single piece has it's own power profile.

And yes it is very impressive, probably the most of them all.

The power supply on the One S is over-provisioned. The One S only draws around 80W while gaming. Outside of the APU/SoC the system draws around 30W. Thus you are looking at ~50W for the APU/SoC, the Scorpio's SoC power draw is probably slightly under 4x of this (<200W). I am going to guess the effect of moving from 8GB of DDR3 to 12GB of GDDR5 is negligible since the One S' DDR3 was quad channel and manufactured on an older process than the GDDR5 that is going to be used in the Scorpio. The increase in the Perf/W comes from dropping the ESRAM and probably from using more efficient VRMs. So it is reasonable to see a 245W PSU. That PSU will be specced for tighter tolerances, still over-provisioned, but not with 60W to spare.

Top Bottom