Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

adamsappel said:
Is this a game?

I love my GBM. I got it for $50, clearanced at CompUSA. Combined with a flashcart, it's the ultimate portable gaming machine. I'm so tempted to pick up a Play-Yan, even though I have a video-iPod.
Yes it is. Coloris, part of the bit Generations series.
 
Too expensive when it came out but for what it's worth, it's a terrific version of the GBA. Small, lightweight, sexy with a great screen and an excellent d-pad. Deserves more recognition and praise than it receives, though I firmly believe it just wasn't the right path for Nintendo to take. Thankfully they've changed now.
 
I was kinda bumbed that the micro did not support GB and GBC but with a flash cart, Im able to play some of my GB favs - Like Donkey Kong 94 - great game

comined with Pocket NES, im in heaven.
 
BocoDragon said:
Notice how everyone just hated the Micro when it came out?

Now that it's hit bargain prices, it's the coolest cult handheld on GAF.

Bad launch pricing?
I was one of the people that had no love for the Micro when it first came out, but when those Black Friday sales hit and Micros were selling for ~$35, I just had to pick up a 20th Anniversary Edition, and I have to admit it's pretty sweet. Even though it'll never get as much play as my SP did, it was worth that much just to have one around.

Although I wouldn't call it bad launch pricing. Those things sold crazy at first, and no doubt Nintendo raked in a ton of money off of them. It was just bad pricing for me.
 
Thread necro is me.

I started playing Final Fantasy 6 on the DS and got to a save point. Then I took it out and put it in my Micro. Something about playing FF6 in my Micro felt a whole lot better, so I continued my save from there. I haven't put it back in my Lite since.

I 8> my Micro.
 
MoxManiac said:
Is this thing worth $50? My Walmart has a ton for that priceI love the size of it and the supposed screen quality. Is the screen TOO small?

No, of course not. The screen, while small, is completely usable and readable. I do however hold it a bit closer to my eyes while playing on it - closer than I hold the GBA SP or the DS lite, but not so close that I'm thinking 'OH LORD THIS IS TINY AND I AM HOLDING IT CLOSE TO MY EYES NOW'. You don't even notice it.

I will say this - games which require prodigious and precise use of the shoulder buttons are a bit more difficult to play on the micro, because it can be awkward to hold it in a manner that allows easy manipulation of the shoulder buttons. For example, Drill Dozer - I can't play it on the micro. I got to a certain boss a couple of hours in, and no matter what I tried, I couldn't fudge it precisely enough to do what needed to be done in the game. I put it in my Gamecube player with a Hori pad, though, and it went much more smoothly. This is the only game I've had trouble with in this way.
 
MoxManiac said:
Is this thing worth $50? My Walmart has a ton for that priceI love the size of it and the supposed screen quality. Is the screen TOO small?
Have them scan the GBMs for you, they might be even cheaper. My Walmart has the silver faceplate Micro for $35 and the 20th Anniversary Famicom color for $40. There was one black faceplate micro left, but when I had the cash register scan it, it came out to $50.

The screen is fine, no problems reading any text for me. I love this thing because it's actually small enough to fit in a pocket comfortably (unlike my DS and PSP).
 
What the hell. I picked one up. I love the size of the thing. The DSLite always seemed like overkill for GBA games due to it's size; this is perfect. My only complaint is the screen isn't as bright and colorful as the dslite on maximum brightness...but i'll live.

Definitely see the shoulder buttons problem though; i'll stick to the lite for drill dozer, i guess.
 
MoxManiac said:
Is this thing worth $50? My Walmart has a ton for that priceI love the size of it and the supposed screen quality. Is the screen TOO small?
im driving to walmart tomorrow and getting a micro to play FF6 on, $50 is nothing for a micro
 
Baron said:
I will say this - games which require prodigious and precise use of the shoulder buttons are a bit more difficult to play on the micro, because it can be awkward to hold it in a manner that allows easy manipulation of the shoulder buttons. For example, Drill Dozer - I can't play it on the micro. I got to a certain boss a couple of hours in, and no matter what I tried, I couldn't fudge it precisely enough to do what needed to be done in the game. I put it in my Gamecube player with a Hori pad, though, and it went much more smoothly. This is the only game I've had trouble with in this way.
definitely depends on how you hold it, i havent had a problem with the shoulder buttons, played through all of drill dozer on it myself. on the sp and ds i sort of use the middle segment of my index fingers to push down on the corner of the button, while on the micro, the thing is small enough that i use the end segment with my fingertips towards the inner edge of the buttons. i either push with my fingertip or just push with the whole finger segment on the button. i hold the micro pretty loosely though, ive heard of others having tight cramped grips on it, and i can see how they would have a problem with the shoulder buttons.

playing drill dozer on the micro is also more fun for the relative amount of rumble, it packs a little more punch cause the system is so small.
 
I finally broke down and bought a Micro. $50 @ Wal-Mart tonight. Not that I needed one, but damn it's just so convenient.
I've never seen one before, except in magazines.... I'm amazed at how tiny this thing is. They've crammed a system on a par with the SNES into something smaller than my cock.
Technology these days... I must be getting old.
 

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
MoxManiac said:
FF6 is awesome on the micro!
The Micro is the only way to justify downgraded SNES -> GBA ports IMO. These games used to have higher resolutions and higher quality soundtracks, but if you're playing on the Micro, it almost makes sense...
 
the Micro is so awsome, im finally gonna be able to play Wario Ware twisted (I bought it a while back, but playing it on the DS is really weird, the micro is perfect for it)
 
BocoDragon said:
The Micro is the only way to justify downgraded SNES -> GBA ports IMO. These games used to have higher resolutions and higher quality soundtracks, but if you're playing on the Micro, it almost makes sense...
It's kinda funny, tried it on my dslite later on and the pixels looked huge in comparison.

The smaller screen really does fix the GBA's low resolution problem.
 

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
MoxManiac said:
It's kinda funny, tried it on my dslite later on and the pixels looked huge in comparison.

The smaller screen really does fix the GBA's low resolution problem.
Exactly... it almost gives the GBA spec a purpose in a post-DS world.
 
I'm sure it might be discussed in this thread already, if so I'll resurrect: I'd have a Micro now if Nintendo had ever made a GC link cable for it. I realize there are instructions on how to actually make one yourself, but I don't know if I have the skills, or the desire to hack something like that together.

It's an issue for me, since Pac-Man vs. is one of the only things I use my GBA for, and I'd love to be able to play that game with a better screen than the first-gen GBA.
 
Just bought Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones and Wario Ware Twisted for the lil' guy. :) Btw, does anybody know where you can get faceplates in Europe? Or even better, the back parts so you can change the whole thing (tryin' to get an all black one). And sorry, no eBay.
 
The shoulder buttons never bothered me until I started playing Metroid Fusion for the first time (GREAT GAME BTW THX FOR TELLING ME GUYZ) - not deal-breaking stuff though, they arent worse than any other shoulder buttons.
 
SickBoy said:
I'm sure it might be discussed in this thread already, if so I'll resurrect: I'd have a Micro now if Nintendo had ever made a GC link cable for it. I realize there are instructions on how to actually make one yourself, but I don't know if I have the skills, or the desire to hack something like that together.
looking back at the hack, the nyko link cable one sounds easy enough. i think. you might be able to buy one on ebay but its probably a rare thing by now.

Yonn said:
Btw, does anybody know where you can get faceplates in Europe? Or even better, the back parts so you can change the whole thing (tryin' to get an all black one). And sorry, no eBay.
does europe have an online (or phone) nintendo store? if they dont, i have no clue where to get faceplates other than off other micros (...or maybe ebay, embrace it!). also to change the back parts, i think you would have to dismantle the whole thing, so stick with the faceplate quest.
 
im back for more LOVE. (even though blame space turned this into a hate thread. go buy another!)

ive only had a used Micro up until today. i bought a new one at $50. :D

to celebrate my purchase i bought more stuff! i secured a copy of Ninja Five-O. i also ordered my very first bit Generations game (dotstream), and a USB micro recharge cable from Play Asia.

whoo!
 
Daigoro said:
im back for more LOVE. (even though blame space turned this into a hate thread. go buy another!)

ive only had a used Micro up until today. i bought a new one at $50. :D

to celebrate my purchase i bought more stuff! i secured a copy of Ninja Five-O. i also ordered my very first bit Generations game (dotstream), and a USB micro recharge cable from Play Asia.

whoo!
What a coincidence, when I fished out my famicom Micro today, Ninja Five 0 just happened to be inside! Shwing!
 
Despite being advised against it by a few people, as I have a DS Lite and don't travel much, I ordered a Famicom micro from Play-Asia, which turned up today, along with FFIV, V and VI.

I'm very impressed with it; I didn't realise the body was metal (aluminium?) which gives it a nice solid feel. It's a lot thinner and smaller than I was expecting, though the screen size isn't too bad. (I was worried it'd be too small) It's not all that vibrant compared to other screens, but I guess that's due to its size.

I don't mind the shoulder buttons so far, though the d-pad isn't as good as I was hoping; it's a little loose and inaccurate. Wall jumping in a Metroid game is my benchmark for a dpad, and while I can do it better on the micro than the ds lite, it's still not great compared to running it on a gameboy player with a hori pad, and I think I preferred the original DS pad as well, but it's been too long to say for sure.

Couple of quick questions about it though, seeing as the manual will be in Japanese. Firstly, how do I put this thing to sleep? (like closing the DS) And how do I know when it's done charging / can I turn these stupid blue lights off? (are they the charge indicator?) It wouldn't be quite so bad if they were red and fit in with the system a bit more.

As far as GBA games go, I've got all the Castlevanias, the two Metroids and the three Final Fantasies mentioned above. I've had the Fire Emblem games before (might pick them up again) and Advance Wars on my DS. (which was enough) Anything similar to these that people would recommend, or anything in particular that I should be picking up?

I wanted to get Super Mario World, but haven't been able to find it anywhere (a legitimate copy anyway) and I hear it's a pretty bad port.
 
andrewfee said:
Couple of quick questions about it though, seeing as the manual will be in Japanese. Firstly, how do I put this thing to sleep? (like closing the DS) And how do I know when it's done charging / can I turn these stupid blue lights off? (are they the charge indicator?) It wouldn't be quite so bad if they were red and fit in with the system a bit more.
unfortunately sleep wasnt standard on the gba like it (mostly) is on the ds, the game needs to support it. i believe its done charging when the blue lights turn off, and yes they are a charge/battery indicator. they turn red when the battery is low.

I wanted to get Super Mario World, but haven't been able to find it anywhere (a legitimate copy anyway) and I hear it's a pretty bad port.
the port is fine, but there is one difference in particular that some people bitch about. in the original mario world, when you are fire mario or have the cape and get hit, you go down to little mario. in this one, you only lose the powerup and remain as big mario. it makes things a lot easier. i forget if that was changed with this version or if it started with the all stars + world cart.
 
this thread got me excited about buying GBA micro

but i have 1 question.

what big upcoming GB micro games coming. is there any or the system is dead because of the DS [ what would be the point if i am only stuck with the old games ]