• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

Fusebox

Banned
That looks good with the Play-Yan, japtor.

I have an EZFlash II cart and also an SDMicro-based cart for mine but I dont think I can do video playback of any kind with them.

blame space said:
Just for clarification, Metroid is included on the Zero Mission cart.

Well I bouht the NES classic a little while back, and got Zero Mission like 3 weeks ago. Plus at the time I didn't know that.

Also I have doubles of 3 games, in order to play more multiplayer. I have a few cousins, and I thought it'd be fun to get some 3 player or 4 F-zero going. One cousin has f-zero and I have 2 copies. I found them cheap £10.

fatty

typo said:
The problem with the GB Micro was that it was a rip-off. It was priced higher than the fully-featured GBA SP. I grabbed a Micro when they finally dropped down to $50 CDN (Famicom one). THAT was the better deal.

I still waited for the price drop before I picked them up.

jgkspsx

Eh. It was overpriced, especially if they wanted it to, you know, sell. I was very wary about buying it at full price, especially given how hype works. But I've gotten my money's worth out of it :)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jgkspsx said:
Eh. It was overpriced, especially if they wanted it to, you know, sell.

Notice how everyone just hated the Micro when it came out?

Now that it's hit bargain prices, it's the coolest cult handheld on GAF.

Bad launch pricing?

But it's not like Nintendo had anything riding on the project besides the cost of manufacture. I'll bet they're still making a profit at these discount prices, and they just aimed high with the price point at launch, just to see who would bite.....

japtor

Fusebox said:
That looks good with the Play-Yan, japtor.

I have an EZFlash II cart and also an SDMicro-based cart for mine but I dont think I can do video playback of any kind with them.
im not sure if there is a free/open player, but i know for sure the cart i have (m3) has a movie player. of course im also pretty sure it sucks. it uses some modified mpeg 1 format iirc, so the size vs quality is pretty crappy. play yans can do mpeg 4 (although not higher profile stuff like avc/h.264).

BocoDragon said:
Notice how everyone just hated the Micro when it came out?
i bet those people have no problem with costanza wallets and old cell phones.

Error2k4 said:
I want one!

how much money for one of these?
$60-70 from amazon sellers and a bit under that from ebay i think. best bet price wise is probably just finding them at a store, since it seems like theyre clearing them out.

BocoDragon

japtor said:
i bet those people have no problem with costanza wallets and old cell phones.

The size was always cool. It was the fact that it was a GBA model launched after the DS (and with the stealth release of the GBA SP ver 2 that had the same screen but larger).... for 100 bucks. It just felt wrong at release.

Now that it's cheap, it doesn't feel like such a hose to buy what is essentially a pretty GBA.

RaidenZR

My Game Boy Micro and case!

gbm_01.jpg

gbm_02.jpg

gbm_03.jpg

yonder

Raiden, where'd you get that case? Got any more pics of it?

Cdammen said:
You need this silicone cover. It's Ggggggreat!

Please post pics of your GBMs turned on. Show off that 'effin great screen dudes :)
Nah, ugly. I'd just like a simple, sturdy case without belt clips or compartment or games.

blame space said:
It's truly a beautiful thing to have such a great system in the cigarette lighter pocket (do those pockets have a formal name?) of my pants. So, yeah, let's talk about the GBM.

& the survey says....
they are called fobs

yes, reading the dictionary from cover to cover finally pays off!

RaidenZR

I got it from Play-Asia. It's a Denim Pouch by Keys Factory. NCSX also sold it for a while, but it should still be available somewhere on the net (was in three colors also). It's slimmer than it looks though it does add a bit of external bulk to the GBm. I use it for general safe keeping, but sometimes I slip my micro into the black pouch it came with when I want to tuck it in my coat pockets.

But the case, I recommend if you're in the market for one.

yonder

RaidenZR said:
I got it from Play-Asia. It's a Denim Pouch by Keys Factory. NCSX also sold it for a while, but it should still be available somewhere on the net (was in three colors also). It's slimmer than it looks though it does add a bit of external bulk to the GBm. I use it for general safe keeping, but sometimes I slip my micro into the black pouch it came with when I want to tuck it in my coat pockets.

But the case, I recommend if you're in the market for one.
"Out of print." :( Can't find it anywhere...

Baron

Wario Ware Twisted is a required purchase for all GBm owners. It's so much easier and fluid to move and rotate the micro than the GBA SP or the DS, and it takes an already awesome game to new and unheard of levels of awesomeness. Love this game and the system.

gbm.jpg

yonder

Baron said:
Wario Ware Twisted is a required purchase for all GBm owners. It's so much easier and fluid to move and rotate the micro than the GBA SP or the DS, and it takes an already awesome game to new and unheard of levels of awesomeness. Love this game and the system.
Still hasn't come out in Europe, though, dunno why... Thinking about importing it. How does it compare to the original? Twisting and turning the Game Boy doesn't seem to lend itself to quick and hectic gameplay that made the original so good.

lyre

Error2k4 said:
playing Megaman Zero on one of these babies has to be awesome.
Not really. Lousy shoulder buttons and often enough due to the tininess of the pixels the screen uses, and because the games ARE twitch based action games, it's sometimes hard to see small details especially going at the speeds the game requires you to put into them. But for casual players of the games (those who don't care about scores) it'll be fine.

Othewise, I love mine. :)

jgkspsx

Yonn said:
How does it compare to the original? Twisting and turning the Game Boy doesn't seem to lend itself to quick and hectic gameplay that made the original so good.
If it's not better than the original, it's just as good. I like it (a smidge) more than the original.

yonder

jgkspsx said:
If it's not better than the original, it's just as good. I like it (a smidge) more than the original.
What I want to know is, is the gameplay as fast paced as the original? Does it still get you in 'the zone'? Oh, and how are the unlockables? Any good minigames? Just played some Wario Ware and had a blast, btw. :)

Error2k4 said:

It would be if the shoulder buttons clicked on the outside rather than on the inside. The MMZ games and F-Zero: MV give me cramps when I try to play them in my micro.

jgkspsx

Yonn said:
What I want to know is, is the gameplay as fast paced as the original? Does it still get you in 'the zone'? Oh, and how are the unlockables? Any good minigames? Just played some Wario Ware and had a blast, btw. :)

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Unbeatable
4) Better (just by a bit) than the original. Unless you really like Dr. Mario. But Wario Bike is unbeatable, and there are several others nearly as good.
Pyoro
R isn't as good as 1, 2, or maybe even T, but it's still pretty good.

Daigoro

Error2k4 said:

its definitly an adjustment. it seemed very hard to me at first compaired to playing using the SP, but once i got used to it, it was ok. YMMV.

Yikes. I can't look at this thread for much longer. I've always wanted a Micro but held off and got a DSL instead. Sweet, sweet system though, too bad about the initial price. Maybe if I trade some stuff in, I can justify getting one...

Matt_C

If you have GBM, I would like to warn you; DO NOT get Capcom Arcade Classics Mini Mix unless you enjoy NES era frustration. Hot dang, whoever did the port forgot to include portable friendly options like gamesaves and adjustable cheats like the home console versions of the series. I am not a 10 year old kid who's parents are away for the evening; I do not have time to play over games after dying 3 times. At least the NES graphics look fantastic and responsive controls for the GBM.

This mini review was brought you by a Capcom fanboy.

Now where is that 3rd party Action Replay like game saver that is made in Japan?

Anywho, I think it is high time to go through either Pokémon Leaf Green or Sapphire to reach to the end for the Eon Ticket.

This is killing me. I have a hard time choosing which GBm to purchase: silver/black or Famicom anniversary model? My Zellers has both. This is the one of the last hurdles before I triple dip for a Game Boy Advance.

P.S. I never played a Micro before, but I really like the way the d-pad is designed. However, any of you find the screen a bit too small? This thing is tiny!

Can I use the GBM adapter (converter) the one used for multiplayer between GBM's and GBA's, to connect to the GC-GBA cable. Hence play my GBM with my GC connected via the GBA-GC cable, and GBM converter cable. Without the need of a soldering iron.

yonder

Looks like I have to order Wario Ware Twisted. :)

Btw, can you order a black face plate and a black back somewhere? I want to turn my all-silver micro black.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Baron said:

gbm.jpg
I want to get a micro just for that... however, I wonder how well it plays on DS if you use the bottom screen?

Rocksteady33

Man I anticipated the Micro the day it was announced, I remember being so upset when I went into Best Buy on the supposed launch day and they didn't have it. The thing probably could have made some kind of mark had Nintendo not botched the launch. To this day I get more stares and questions about the Micro from peers and strangers then I do from any other gaming device, it truly is just a sexy machine.

BocoDragon

Rocksteady33 said:
Man I anticipated the Micro the day it was announced, I remember being so upset when I went into Best Buy on the supposed launch day and they didn't have it. The thing probably could have made some kind of mark had Nintendo not botched the launch. To this day I get more stares and questions about the Micro from peers and strangers then I do from any other gaming device, it truly is just a sexy machine.

What do you mean by "botched the launch"? I remember the day it was supposed to have launched they flooded store shelves, where I live, where they sat for months unsold.

If by botching the launch, you mean "charging way too much for a GBA redesign in 2005, and launching it the same day as a new GBA SP", then I'd agree...

angelsson

I bought the GBm last summer for 40&#8364;. I´m really lovin´ it.
beautiful, small, great screen.

But GBA games are so frikkin expensive. I rarely buy console games for more than 30&#8364; so i sure as hell won´t buy GBA games for 35-40&#8364;.

RaidenZR

the thoroughbred said:
Can I use the GBM adapter (converter) the one used for multiplayer between GBM's and GBA's, to connect to the GC-GBA cable. Hence play my GBM with my GC connected via the GBA-GC cable, and GBM converter cable. Without the need of a soldering iron.

I've wondered the same thing, but I don't think that's how the micro's cable converter is outted. I think it's weird like that. Can someone who has one confirm?

Dice said:
I want to get a micro just for that... however, I wonder how well it plays on DS if you use the bottom screen?

Do you have a Lite? Personally with the broken hinges issue I wouldn't dare twist and turn mine around like that. Granted, I haven't even played Twisted! yet, so I dont really know how much movement is required.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Crap, for $50 I may have to break down and buy the thing, Nintenwhore that I am. Plus I just plain love the GBA. My SP v2 is my favorite handheld to date.

Jacobi

Banned
Yeah, Wario Ware Twisted is the shit with this thing. Unfortunately I still love it, but I only use it for MP3s. The games are too expensive, I wanted to buy Rhythm Tengoku, but 40 Euros can't afford :(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
DigitalA1chemy said:
Do you have a Lite? Personally with the broken hinges issue I wouldn't dare twist and turn mine around like that. Granted, I haven't even played Twisted! yet, so I dont really know how much movement is required.
:lol My Lite is actualy somewhat famous. Anyways, the hinges on mine are in tact.

japtor

japtor said:
ive been planning on getting a silver body/black faceplate micro for a while now (so i can have all silver and all black micros), but kept missing out on the cheap sales. im not even sure where to find them now, doesnt even show up on a bunch of sites, amazon seems to be the only major one (and technically its from j&r).
little followup:

ebonyandivoryws8.jpg

the play yan being black and the m3 being silver were just a nice coincidence. just under $50 shipped off ebay. with the two extra faceplates! (that ill probably never use). the newer ones dont have them, if that matters to anyone. anyways for those looking for the micro, most seem to go for $50-60 preship now, sometimes in the $40s. just watch out for some of the ~$50 buy it nows, they usually have something like $15 (or more) shipping.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I've been toying with buying a GBm since it's only $50 CAD but I need to buy a PSP this year for Castlevania. :)

Baron

I had a second Famicom micro system laying around that I had bought for my fiance to play with, but she has wound up gravitating towards my DS instead (damn Sudoku!) and hasn't really touched the micro lately. So rather than selling it off, I decided to give it to my 8 year-old nephew last month as a late christmas gift.

I also gave him the Star Wars Lego GBA game and Mario Golf along with it. He freaking loves it, and now idolizes me as the "awesome uncle" and all that. I plan on schooling him in the proper games to play and give him a new game each month or something. I already bought him WW: Twisted and Zelda: Link to the Past and will send him one of those any day now. Mario and Castlevania games will surely follow.

I forgot how much a video game system of your own can totally make a young kid's year. I totally would have loved my uncle forever if he had done something like this when I was 8.

yonder

Baron said:
I had a second Famicom micro system laying around that I had bought for my fiance to play with, but she has wound up gravitating towards my DS instead (damn Sudoku!) and hasn't really touched the micro lately. So rather than selling it off, I decided to give it to my 8 year-old nephew last month as a late christmas gift.

I also gave him the Star Wars Lego GBA game and Mario Golf along with it. He freaking loves it, and now idolizes me as the "awesome uncle" and all that. I plan on schooling him in the proper games to play and give him a new game each month or something. I already bought him WW: Twisted and Zelda: Link to the Past and will send him one of those any day now. Mario and Castlevania games will surely follow.

I forgot how much a video game system of your own can totally make a young kid's year. I totally would have loved my uncle forever if he had done something like this when I was 8.
I wish I had an uncle like that. :)

Yoschi

Baron said:

You are indeed a great uncle. I remember my uncle giving me my first fat gray gameboy when i was 11. I cannot believe how long i played that thing. Too much of a vicious machine, i was unable to put it down for more than 2 hours for the first 3weeks!

Now I have bought a GameBoy micro and i cannot believe how much i love it! I got it 4 days ago and i have to play at least one Wario 4 Level each 6 hours! =D
During the last 2 or 3 years i thought i lost my passion for gaming, even with the newest games like Castlevania or Metroid Prime for DS i haven't been able to regain my passion again. Then i bought a Dreamcast for 20 € with 2 Controllers and bunch of games for it. Rez blows me away everytime i play it, the feeling you get with that game is incredible. The Music is very well made and fits each Level nicely. The fourth Level is absolutely AWESOME, especially the Boss fight!

1/2 of gaming passion regained.

Okay, so when this thread popped up i just felt the need to buy another GameBoy.
- Consumer Whore I am -
I needed something more portable than that fat DS lite, YES the DS lite is fat in my eyes, and seeing that little gbmicro and with that very attractive price of 50€ including shipping (on eBay) i just had to buy it.
The screen on the device really is awesome! The buttons feel just right, i also think that the shoulder buttons are great, all of them are really responsive. The allaround feel of the device is very good, solid and light. Rechargable Battery: YESSS! The fact that the screen is always protected thanks to the faceplate wich is also replacable when scratched makes the whole device less sensible. It is a very good fingerprint magnet too, so if you're a detective you may find it handy. You see! Everything about it is positive! :D
But the best part is still when you switch it on and play some Games on it. OH MY GOSH, why do i feel like missing the whole GameBoy Advance Library? WarioLand 4! Castlevania! The Nes Games! Metroid! *daaaah duuuh Oo *

100% of gaming passion regained :lol

No, but seriously. if you get the chance to get the GBmicro cheap, buy it! you won't regret it.
Playing on it feels like if all the Games that were made for GBA, were made with the GBmicro in mind. You pay more attention to the Game and its details. It feels so nostalgic when you play NES-Games on it. The screen is way better than the one on the DS lite for GBA games, everything looks high resolution. The colors are perfect, exept the black wich could be a little bit better, it looks a bit grainy, but you won't notice it during playing. You only see it when the whole screen, or big parts of it are black. It doesn't affect your playing pleasure at all.

The GameBoy micro really is the portable console i always hoped for!
I have it with me ALL THE TIME, it is soo portable and soo nice!

ME LOVES IT :)

edit: thanks for reading LoL ^^

Rocksteady33

BocoDragon said:
What do you mean by "botched the launch"? I remember the day it was supposed to have launched they flooded store shelves, where I live, where they sat for months unsold.

If by botching the launch, you mean "charging way too much for a GBA redesign in 2005, and launching it the same day as a new GBA SP", then I'd agree...

Stores didn't even know when they were getting them in. I called a ton of stores looking for it on the supposed launch day and none had it, and few had info on when they would. All I would get was "probably in a week or two". It took 12 days for my Best Buy to finally get theirs in. Not one piece of promotional ads were displayed around the store, and they were in the back of the store, so potential impulse buyers wouldn't even know it existed. Nintendo ****ed up that launch so hard it's not even funny. Yes the $100 price tag was a stinger, but not necessarily the hole to sink the boat. Nintendo simply didn't care and clearly moved onto the DS as their primary focus. I mean it makes sense, that's when the DS was actually finally making its mark with gamers and non-gamers. The Micro launched around the Nintendogs craze in America, and the Jump Superstars business in Japan. The Micro had no chance.

Yoschi

Rocksteady33 said:
Stores didn't even know when they were getting them in. I called a ton of stores looking for it on the supposed launch day and none had it, and few had info on when they would. All I would get was "probably in a week or two". It took 12 days for my Best Buy to finally get theirs in. Not one piece of promotional ads were displayed around the store, and they were in the back of the store, so potential impulse buyers wouldn't even know it existed. Nintendo ****ed up that launch so hard it's not even funny. Yes the $100 price tag was a stinger, but not necessarily the hole to sink the boat. Nintendo simply didn't care and clearly moved onto the DS as their primary focus. I mean it makes sense, that's when the DS was actually finally making its mark with gamers and non-gamers. The Micro launched around the Nintendogs craze in America, and the Jump Superstars business in Japan. The Micro had no chance.

now that you mention it, i remember the micro's being hard to find here too. Even now, it's rare that i see them in shops.

RaidenZR said:
Is this a game?

I love my GBM. I got it for $50, clearanced at CompUSA. Combined with a flashcart, it's the ultimate portable gaming machine. I'm so tempted to pick up a Play-Yan, even though I have a video-iPod.

Top Bottom