• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Collecting - Why are PS2 games completely worthless? what is the console outside of GameCube to collect for?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Collecting video games from these older generations just doesn't make sense to me anymore when you can play pretty much any of them in much higher resolutions and framerates via emulation. I've got pretty much my entire retro physical collection boxed away safely, likely never to be used again, with ripped copies of them all on HDDs to use with emulators, and it's just a much better experience.

Just throw away that crap.
Shocked Oh My God GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

For something to be worth money there has to be a demand for it. There are PS2 games that worth over a $100 like the .hack series. I personally think you have a market where collectors only look at Nintendo because of their charm and charisma. Which means they think something is probably worth more than it is. Which is also why we see these people hike up or pretend that a Nintendo game is worth a million dollars.

Do people want to pay a couple hundred dollars for .hack or a couple hundred for Mario? I think people are grabbing Nintendo games, getting them graded, and pretending like they’re worth a fortune. The GameCube is their next target and I think it’s crazy. I think people want to collect Nintendo games and their desire for something as unique as the Wii hasn’t happened yet. The Wii also sold to a lot of different types of people and it’s very different from other consoles. I’d imagine over time the same crowd will move towards the Wii. The 360 has a lot of its games available on PC and those franchises or titles aren’t hard to find at all. Games were becoming way more mainstream with the 360/Wii/PS3.
Charm and Charisma?

You mean people artificially inflating Nintendo game prices and pushing the value up Charm and Charisma?

I don't know what Op is seeing but Sega and Xbox stuff are in demand if it's not some generic game or a 3+ millon seller (in most cases).

Bragr

Banned
Collecting video games from these older generations just doesn't make sense to me anymore when you can play pretty much any of them in much higher resolutions and framerates via emulation. I've got pretty much my entire retro physical collection boxed away safely, likely never to be used again, with ripped copies of them all on HDDs to use with emulators, and it's just a much better experience.
That is like going to a restaurant and drinking wine from the bottle instead of the glass. It's just cheap. You can do it, but these games are massive projects people spent millions and years on, sitting on some emulator on your PC hooked up to your TV or whatever is just such a cheap way to go about it.

With really old games, sure, it's a fucking hassle to use stuff from the 80s and 90s, but with stuff like the PS2 or the PS3 or something that you can't play on a backward-compatible system, you gotta use the real hardware and the real games. A real gamer uses real shit because he wants the real thing, not the substitute.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Xenosaga 3 still goes for some serious coin.

But the answer is because there were less gamecubes made, and collectors and collecting that limited amount up. Nintendo has the most hardcore of collectors.

nush

Gold Member
It's part of the cycle, popular system does not hit the prices of an unpopular one until much much later. Give it a few years and they'll be a "Have you seen the price of PS2 games!?" topic.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That is like going to a restaurant and drinking wine from the bottle instead of the glass. It's just cheap. You can do it, but these games are massive projects people spent millions and years on, sitting on some emulator on your PC hooked up to your TV or whatever is just such a cheap way to go about it.

With really old games, sure, it's a fucking hassle to use stuff from the 80s and 90s, but with stuff like the PS2 or the PS3 or something that you can't play on a backward-compatible system, you gotta use the real hardware and the real games. A real gamer uses real shit because he wants the real thing, not the substitute.
That’s a terrible analogy.

I played the originals, I paid my money for them. Now though I can play them in 1440p with antialiasing out the wahzoo, with 16x AF, at locked 60fps, or I can play them in a faithful look if I want to. I get lots of the benefits of current times like instant save and resume, a full digital collection, etc.

I have the real thing, but emulation gives a much better experience these days. Not to mention it’s incredibly hard to play even PS1 games on a 50” tv.

Graciaus

It probably has more to do with the type of games. JRPGs are more expensive since I would assume a lot less copies were made.

zombrex

GBA games are hot property. I just sold THE BOX for pokemon leaf green for $350.
Carboard boxes that easily get dmaged over time has create scarcity of good quality examples.
Big money to be made if you have any stored away.

One thing I like from the PS2: the fucking awesome box art! It's like old elpee sleeves from the 70s.

We don't see that anymore.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
If anything, it's the moment to buy Wii and PS3 games since they are cheap now and some will become valuable.

PS2's ship has already sailed, the wanted games are already over hundreds dollars, the ones that are still cheap will always stay cheap I think.

Trunx81

True, but only to an extent. N-Gage, for instance, is rare but it's not worth sh*t. :)
Is that so? I just went on eBay and found out that they pay up to $700 for Atari Minicollection 2 and Civilization. The prices for some games are amazingly high!

Alan Wake

Is that so? I just went on eBay and found out that they pay up to $700 for Atari Minicollection 2 and Civilization. The prices for some games are amazingly high!
Really? That's interesting. That has to have happened pretty recently, I checked not that long ago and found complete collections for very little money (the library of games is very slimfor the N-Gage). But hey, that's cool I guess!

Trunx81

Really? That's interesting. That has to have happened pretty recently, I checked not that long ago and found complete collections for very little money (the library of games is very slimfor the N-Gage). But hey, that's cool I guess!
Civ seems to have only 3.000 copies in the wild. The later games are pretty rare and people seem to pay up to 250 for only the box of Sega Rally.
I still have a huge collection of games from back of the day and according to ebay prices it’s over 3k in worth. I was absolutely flabbergasted when I discovered it this week.

Alan Wake

Civ seems to have only 3.000 copies in the wild. The later games are pretty rare and people seem to pay up to 250 for only the box of Sega Rally.
I still have a huge collection of games from back of the day and according to ebay prices it’s over 3k in worth. I was absolutely flabbergasted when I discovered it this week.
Gosh, I just checked and you're right. Something has happened. Maybe I should've bought that collection a few years ago. My N-Gage is dead so i wasn't that interested, though. I'll keep the few games I have for it.

Top Bottom