• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game difficulty "gatekeeping" is bullshit, and here's why

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I remember Dead or Alive for Xbox 360 had an achievement for losing to the CPU without landing a single hit on them. It was worth 0 points.

We need something like that for beating a game on easy mode. Yes it’s an achievement. No it isn’t equivalent to beating the game on normal and it isn’t worth anything.

Nico_D

My philosophy in life is to let others do what they do and expect them to let me do what I do in a way that gives the most joy.

Also people who care about doings of others and what those other people think about them - particularly in relation to game difficulty - still have some growing up to do.

Care less, be happier.

retsof624

My philosophy in life is to let others do what they do and expect them to let me do what I do in a way that gives the most joy.

Also people who care about doings of others and what those other people think about them - particularly in relation to game difficulty - still have some growing up to do.

Care less, be happier.
A lot of issues that people have in the gaming community (and in life) would go away if they knew how to mind their god damn business

Ballthyrm

I think it all depends on how the difficulty is implemented.

When the base gameplay loops rely on dexterity , combo or things like that, does these loops get totally ignored as you lower the difficulty ?
Usually they do get ignored and players get a less rewarding experience because they don't get to see and appreciate the full breath of the game.

I think when people are reacting to people playing on easy mode, some a reacting to that fact.
Most of the time , developpers don't have the time to really tailor each difficulty level and the game is made to be played at a certain level of play.

We are getting more and more accessibility feature that allows this kind of game playing for players that don't have the time to invest to Git GuD, or even when they actually can't because they are handicapped in some ways.
It's a lot of work and should be applauded, like what Celeste Did, or TLOU 2.

I don't think it's gatekeeping to say that when you play in easy mode, you usually won't get the full game experience (For game where difficulty matter that is)

A lot of issues that people have in the gaming community (and in life) would go away if they knew how to mind their god damn business

No Way Commando GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think everyone should be allowed to play games on whatever difficulty level they like. There is no shame in it at all, as long as you are enjoying yourself.

except in souls games git gud you whiny little bitches

Soltype

They should go back to how they did it in the old days, you play on easy you don't get to see all the levels / bosses. I think Cuphead did this with their bosses.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I usually don't respond to thousand word thesis statements with one sentence replies, but in this case, I feel the need to ask:

Who (besides apparently the OP) cares?

Like you could finish a game at very easy or ball shattering struggle out of a wood chipper that you got stuck into head first difficulty, it's still a video game. You "objectively," haven't accomplished anything compared to the guy building a house, cheating on his wife, hijacking a bus, or stepping on cats for the enjoyment of Japanese kinksters. I mean, maybe if you're one of those inbred Smash tournament people you could win $500 for DOIN GOOD, SON, but in the terms of real life, getting pegged is better than getting a POG in chat.

Last edited:

Umbral

That term is hivemind-speak.

People who cannot achieve have a desire to lower the bar to their reach. Spare me the “it’s just games” kneejerk rebuttals. This is a neurosis that has spilled into games, but affects other aspects of their life too.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
This is an interesting topic and one that I find very fascinating to talk about!

I can see the value of both sides and it can be done well in some cases. Take Devil May Cry or Bayonetta for example. By allowing the player to start off in an easier level of difficulty, they can get the understanding of the combat system, slowly get the unlockable upgrades, weapons, and health/mana/resources before playing a more tightly controlled and focused difficulty in NG+.

On the other hand, you have games like Uncharted where you have little to no change in challenge, item upgrades, or boss design with the only real change being that enemies have increased health, weapons do less damage, and you take more damage from every hit.

I feel that there is no one single "correct" way to utilize difficulty, however there are plenty of bad ways.

Dark Souls has multiple difficulty settings, it's just that you don't select them in a menu. Not using a shield makes the game harder. Focusing on magic instead of melee weapons makes the game significantly easier. Summoning help turns most encounters into a joke.
You could say that about any game. Putting artifical restraints on yourself will, of course, make any game more difficult.

Dream-Knife

Banned
The xbox tweet reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend the other day.

For most games today "beating it" means absolutely nothing. It just means you put the hours in to finish it. Now the same can be said of any game really, but you could put 1000 hours into Contra 3 and never pass the first level.

Games in general have just gotten easier.

Last edited:

Ellery

We created the "you are special" mindset so much that we don't strive for 99% of the games to be easily beaten, but it seemingly has to be 100% of games.

It is god damn okay to fail, to improve, to overcome hardship and it is also 100% okay to give up on a game.

People took those git gud Dark Souls memes way too seriously. There are hundred of thousand of other games.

paparazzo

This stuff is entertainment. Different people play for different reasons. What’s it to you if someone just wants to breeze through a few levels after work on easy mode? If they want to brag about it, they’ll have to live with the fact that they accomplished a participation trophy at best, and their achievement/trophy list will tell the whole story.

dorkimoe

Sold returnal because of this. I get it if you wanna play the way they released it, but some people don’t want to. The amount of people arguing against a save mode was so stupid. Why do you care how someone else plays the game?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
There are very few games where the concept of it being "beaten" really applies anymore. Nothing wrong with that, but most games are meant to be finished, not beaten. Or "beat the story" even since we have side missions now, and completing a game "100%" is a matter of spending time with it.

It's about time spent enjoying a product you bought; spend that time how you like.... playing on easy, hard.. using cheats.. whatever.

You could say that about any game. Putting artifical restraints on yourself will, of course, make any game more difficult.
Oh come on. Finishing the game without leveling up, going for a no-hit run or playing on a DDR dance mat are artificial restraints. Picking melee over magic or going for two-handed weapons instead of shield, though? Not even close.

Last edited:
Oh come on. Finishing the game without leveling up, going for a no-hit run or playing on a DDR dance mat are artificial restraints. Picking melee over magic or going for two-handed weapons instead of shield, though? Not even close.
Nope, you're just listing more extreme versions of the same thing.

junguler

Banned
no tldr? why do you hate/dislike/indifferent_to me?
anyway, i think including difficulty settings always makes the game better because it lets more people enjoy it, it's that simple.

Mabdia

Well... all I have to say is that I really miss the times when the games managed to make you try to beat them instead of everyone can beat any game.

Damn! It was a really nice achievement to beat Rugal at a Arcade playing KOF94.

In that case, where do you draw the line? How far are you allowed to deviate from the easiest, most braindead way to play the game before you wander into "artificial restraint" territory?
I don't think we really need to worry about drawing a line. If you're ignoring entire game mechanics because they make the game too easy, you're very clearly handicapping yourself and no longer talking about the games true, actual difficulty level. Bringing this back to the topic of Souls games, while they are more challenging than your average modern game, they are not nearly as hard as a lot of people perceive them to be. Most of them can be brute forced by the most classic of gaming tactics such as over leveling and using the best equipment.

iHaunter

Not if that's the whole point of the game. Get better or don't play it. Returnal and Souls games should absolutely NEVER have difficulty options. Period.

Bragr

Banned

Care less, be happier.
By this philosophy, shouldn't you just let people think what they want, even if they hate easy difficulty? because in the next sentence, you are judging them and telling them to grow up, which goes against the first sentence.

ZywyPL

Banned
I always start the games on the default difficulty, if it turns out to be too easy, not challenging/satisfying, then I change it to hard, but somwhere down the line when I'm "done" with the game I turn it all the way down to the easiest difficulty to rush through the remaining part just for the story.

So I'm obviously all into giving as much choice as possible, because more choice never hurt anyone, you want to challenge yourself form the get-go throughout entire walkthrough, go for it, you wanna blast throught it just for the story, you can do this as well.

Gaming isn't a competition unless you are in a competitive multiplayer game, games are consumer products and people should be able to enjoy what they pay for. I hate to break it to you but just because you beat a game on the hardest difficulty doesn't mean you are impressive in any real way, it's a F'ing game get over yourself lol and if it bothers you that other people like to play games on different settings you don't have enough real world things to worry about in your life.

Xenon

That’s like saying that beating Michael Jordan in 1-on-1 basketball while he’s blindfolded and in a wheelchair is still beating Michael Jordan.

no, you are less of a man if you consider that to be an achievement and you probably have a really, really tiny penis

Funny this reminds me that this tweet is from the company that invented Achievements. =/

Anyways, completing the game on easy is finishing the game, not beating it. This is just another attempt to water down existing terminology of the prior gaming culture they loath.
Who (besides apparently the OP) cares?

This has been said by comic, sci fi, and game geeks a lot for years now, how that working out for us.

Ok dude but when you mention gaming to a (non gamer) girl just say you like Mario Kart.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I beat Revenge of Shinobi with save states on the mini. I didn't feel bad. The game is hard as balls. And back then I would've finished it eventually since it would be only one of the few games I owned and by trial and error you would memorize the entire thing.

But that was pretty much a robotic experience. In lots of these games I eventually went through the same motions, because games were only like an hour long or shorter and all about memorizing. Its more fun with using a save state so you can go out of your way a bit or take more risks.

I think its okay to include ninja dog difficulties in games. You don't have to use it. The gamer in me always chooses Normal mode, or even hard. And never assists. But if you just want to have fun and no frustration the option is there.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
GIT GUD

I can't believe it took this long for someone to say it.

I like games where developers actually give a fuck about difficultly settings and do more than just make enemies spongier and the player weaker, that's just lazy but it's par the course. Games like Doom 3 made the game harder by adding more baddies. Also games where they've modified the levels for different difficulties are awesome.

I grew up at the time when beating a game was supposed to be a challenge but with the advent of narrative-focused games they are supposed to resemble films and you don’t have skill challenge for watching a film.

I still think there should be difficulty gatekeep for achieving the platinum. Most of the games I played offer diametrically different experiences on medium versus highest difficulty.

G2aVN3k.png

Me over here attaining literal levels of non-duality videogame zen playing on the lowest difficulty for minimal stimuli while listening to audiobooks of Alan watts, ram dass, jack kornfield, Tara brach, Neville Goddard, Joseph Murphy, terrance McKenna, Jordan peterson and russell brand. Try hard pro gamers are you even trying im a literal god of Vidya games
✋😌🤚 I look at all the plebs, normies and unwashed masses trying to be hardcore and I watch them weep at my superiority.

Last edited:
G2aVN3k.png

Me over here attaining literal levels of non-duality videogame zen playing on the lowest difficulty for minimal stimuli while listening to audiobooks of Alan watts, ram dass, jack kornfield, Tara brach, Neville Goddard, Joseph Murphy, terrance McKenna, Jordan peterson and russell brand. Try hard pro gamers are you even trying im a literal god of Vidya games
✋😌🤚 I look at all the plebs, normies and unwashed masses trying to be hardcore and I watch them weep at my superiority.

uncomfortable GIF

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I just don't care. Play at whatever difficulty you want to. It doesn't affect anyone else and I don't see why a person would take even a single second to worry about what difficulty another plays a game at.

Top Bottom