• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Freak hiring programmer for 3DS RPG (so next Pokemon will be on 3DS?)

What a burden, I'm sorry you had to put up with that. It's not like BW2 was playable on the 3DS or anything.
Sorry, I was referring to releases on the 3DS. BW2 was more excusable - if still extremely silly - because the 3DS was backwards compatible. Would have been much more preferable for it to be a 3DS release regardless, even if it was the same game - it would have benefited from the resolution bump at the very least.

GF doesnt think so apparently.

And its odd that ppl want them to rush a game out onto Switch after what happened with X/Y. I'd rather they take their time.
I'm honestly not sure XY's problems were an issue with rushing it so much as much more general design issues and philosophies. Besides, SM as they exist are extremely easy to up-port - one of the reasons why people expect Stars to be on the Switch.

Should emphasize I will be significantly less annoyed if it ends up cross-platform - though obviously a Switch-exclusive game would be preferable so that the 3DS doesn't end up holding the design back for parity.

I don't care what platform it's on, I just want it to be good. SM was good but the 3DS era as a whole still hasn't touched the DS era for me.

Lest we forget Black 2 and White 2 existed as the 3DS came out. They tend to wait until the new portable has more units in the wild.

It'd be nice if they made both a 3DS and Switch version, :p to be honest though, I haven't gotten my hands on a Switch yet so I'm okay with waiting lol

7evNYM5.gif

Okay, this is getting frankly ridiculous. I love the 3DS, had mine since launch day, but can we please let it die a graceful death? Why must we keep dragging its life out like this? There's no shame in ending the 3DS's life; it was a very respectable little handheld, but Switch needs Nintendo's support right now.

ASaiyan

Banned
why cant developers drop 3ds :"(
Why can't Nintendo drop the 3DS is the better question. The way I see it, they were probably scared to axe their one recent success and bet it all on Switch, but the Switch reception is clear enough now and they need to pull the plug. It's not nearly the same form factor, sure, but the whole point of the Switch is that it is a console and a handheld all-in-one; if there is a separate Nintendo handheld that is cheaper and getting exclusive marquee games it will seriously cannibalize sales.

Switch failed to meet expectations
What on earth are you smoking, I would like some.
Seriously though, what the hell is this post. I get if you're upset by all the Switch overhype but this is a straight-up alternative fact.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The important question isn't "will the next pokemon be on 3DS". It is "will the next Pokemon *only* be on the 3DS"

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
But it should be. Nintendo supporting two handhelds is a dumb idea that can only end in tears.

Not that, admittedly, Game Freak's assorted silly nonsense is necessarily what Nintendo wants them to do - case in point BW2's "timely" release. Still frustrating to have to hold onto an antiquated system instead of getting new games for the new one, though.
Yes it is, Switch is its replacement.

Erm...

3DS installed base + 65m
Switch installes base less than 5m

The last Pokemon 3DS games S/M sold massive on 3DS - there is no way a Switch only game will be able to achieve these type of software numbers (+15m sold).

Have they something in store for Switch ? Of course. Does it mean they will drop the the proven system with the children friendly price point ? Hell no.

Switch consoles are expensive and impossible to find in 2017 - they cant screw their fanbase like that. Would be like SE releasing DQXI first on Switch instead on 3DS/PS4 - it doesnt make much sense.

Pokemon isnt a"standard" Nintendo game. The Nintendo EPD devs already moved onto Switch, so there is no point bringing them up.

If it's Pokemon (and it probably is) can't say I'm too surprised. Game Freak always takes their time with this.

Gen 7 third version/sequels on 3DS and Gen 8/DP remakes on Switch is my prediction. They've never done crossgen before and I don't see that changing.

Champion

How naive can some people be
You mean naive like thinking Switch will get a Pokemon game in its 1st year? :p

Now that I think about it they're probably working on S&M2. The reception for that game was overwhelmingly positive so I could see them milking it before moving onto a different platform

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I want to trust Eurogamer, but everything official has made it sound like Game Freak is not ready for Switch or at least still interested in 3DS for Pokémon. I guess I'm now going to expect Stars on both 3DS and Switch, but that's unprecedented. Game Freak's next announcement will definitely be interesting...

Not according to Nintendo.

Yeah, I think Nintendo is being honest. I think it's also unreasonable to expect Nintendo to drop their $80-$200 product line and just have a $300 product on the market. Now, we'll see what 3DS looks like in 2018 or 2019 or 2020 when Nintendo has a cheaper version of Switch available to purchase...
Or a new dedicated portable, hehe.

Mortemis

Banned
yeah, I really wanted to believe that eurogamer story about Stars for switch, but I just couldn't. I don't see game freak hopping on a new system that quickly, as much as it pains me.

fuck, see you on the switch in 3/4 years pokemon

I get it, you paid for a Switch and you want new games for it, but be practical for a second. How well would a Pokemon game (released this year) sell on Switch relative to 3DS. Even if it moved as many Switch units as you think it could, it would still fall short this year. The 3DS is going through 2017 at the very least. There are other audiences besides you. A kid that wants their first handheld is gonna have a much easier time convincing his parents to get them a 3DS than a Switch (as of now).

Red Devil

Game Freak works on games that aren't Pokemon.

Then again since they began making Pokémon games their output outside of that hasn't been all that great outside a few things like HarmoKnight.

Yeah the next Pokemon game whether that's Stars or a new gen will likely be cross gen between 3DS / Switch

maybe pokemon stars is going to be a dual switch/3ds releases

Do people really believe they'll split the userbase within the game's generation? I say forget of a mainline Pokémon game on Switch until Gen VIII.

watershed

Banned
Why can't Nintendo drop the 3DS is the better question. The way I see it, they were probably scared to axe their one recent success and bet it all on Switch, but the Switch reception is clear enough now and they need to pull the plug. It's not nearly the same form factor, sure, but the whole point of the Switch is that it is a console and a handheld all-in-one; if there is a separate Nintendo handheld that is cheaper and getting exclusive marquee games it will seriously cannibalize sales.

What on earth are you smoking, I would like some.
Seriously though, what the hell is this post. I get if you're upset by all the Switch overhype but this is a straight-up alternative fact.

Not dropping the 3ds has nothing to do with fear, it's about intelligently running their business. The 3ds has a sizable, still growing, and active user base. Millions of people are still comfortable playing their 3ds and buying new games for their 3ds. So why would Nintendo stop serving that large market of people? It would be bad business to do so. And from the gamer perspective, there are people who want to continue playing games on their 3ds and buying games for their 3ds. It makes sense for Nintendo to continue to make games for these 3ds owners.

You mean naive like thinking Switch will get a Pokemon game in its 1st year? :p

Now that I think about it they're probably working on S&M2. The reception for that game was overwhelmingly positive so I could see them milking it before moving onto a different platform

Which I've never said. Switch IS the 3DS and Wii U successor

Aleh

They're hiring now? I mean, even if Stars was on both platforms, even if it was just on 3DS... Why now? Surely they won't be releasing a 3DS Pokémon game next year too

Which I've never said. Switch IS the 3DS and Wii U successor

untill nintendo drops the 3ds the switch is only the Wii U successor. I honestly expect them to keep calling the switch a home console that you can take on the go untill they decide they dont need the 3ds anymore and then they will officially acknowledge that its the 3ds replacement.

Megatron

Stars and Gen 8 on Switch.

Diamond/Pearl remakes on 3DS.

3ds is barely an upgrade over ds. A d/p update on 3ds would be pointless. I doubt it's for Stars though. Can't imagine they would be hiring a programmer for the 3ds version of that now.

redcrayon

7evNYM5.gif

Okay, this is getting frankly ridiculous. I love the 3DS, had mine since launch day, but can we please let it die a graceful death? Why must we keep dragging its life out like this? There's no shame in ending the 3DS's life; it was a very respectable little handheld, but Switch needs Nintendo's support right now.
A large chunk of Pokemon fans are children whose parents aren't going to be buying them a £280 Switch anytime soon, which is also why the new 2DS model is soon going to be their most recent hardware release.

Every time a new console comes out we have this, gaffers are more likely to buy consoles at launch at the highest price before complaining about droughts when games still release for those who aren't thinking about upgrading for a year or two.

Kudo

Pokemon can easily carry the 3DS, hell, it will probably sell a lot of New 2DS XL special mimikyu edition.

Yeah, as sad as it is they really don't need a system seller for Switch anymore as they have Splatoon 2 which will make sure Switch stays out of stock in Japan for a while.
Pokemon on 3DS will prolong its life and help sell their new system so I guess it makes sense, not to mention larger install base.
It's very likely that Pokemon will stay 3DS exclusive franchise with spin-off game on the "home platform" in future. IF they're feeling generous about keeping the Switch alive, but like I said Splatoon will do that for them.

Delio

They're hiring now? I mean, even if Stars was on both platforms, even if it was just on 3DS... Why now? Surely they won't be releasing a 3DS Pokémon game next year too

That is interesting. Why are they hiring right now for that? Im guessing the next game is next year then. Going to be interesting having a 3DFs game next year. Might have to finally upgrade my old XL.

Is this the first time in history that gamers have championed a company dropping a platform? It seems so foreign.

Is this your first console gen? People complained about GoW2 being on PS2, people complained about Pokemon Black whatever the fuck being on DS instead of 3DS, people complained PS3/360 were holding back games like Destiny, Dying Light (they were right about this, and Techland cancelled last gen versions) etc

It's especially silly because of Iwata's whole unified platforms strategy comments he made at that investors meeting. I mean they know they have no third party support and not enough first parties to support multiple platforms, but apparently will keep doing it anyway.

A large chunk of Pokemon fans are children whose parents aren't going to be buying them a £280 Switch anytime soon, which is also why the new 2DS model is coming out.

Every time a new console comes out we have this, gaffers are more likely to buy consoles at launch at the highest price before complaining about droughts when games still release for those who aren't thinking about upgrading for a year or two.

Hmm. Having no children myself, I must admit I hadn't considered that they are the 3DS's main audience. That is a fair point, my friend!

Zomba13

I have no idea why people keeping saying "well nintendo said so". Nintendo said the DS wouldn't replace the GBA or the Game Boy line and guess what happened?

That's right! We're on the Game Boy Superduper right now and it's awesome!

DKHF

They released a 2D platformer on PS4/XB1, so I don't see how a non-Pokemon 3DS RPG is off the table
It's not off the table I was just pointing out that they haven't released any non-Pokemon RPGs (anytime recently at least). This could be their first though so who knows.

Newk86

Perhaps a director's cut version of Sun/Moon?

Red/Blue (Yellow)
Gold/Silver (Crystal)
Ruby/Sapphire (Emerald)

Sun/Moon (Stars?)

Tommi84

The amount of salt in this thread is staggering.

As mentioned already, Switch doesn't have enough units sold to justify Switch-only Pokemon. At least yet.

Top Bottom