• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Freak hiring programmer for 3DS RPG (so next Pokemon will be on 3DS?)

Kudo

Please point to where it says this is for the next Pokemon game and that one isn't coming to the Switch. Of course you can keep make huge jumps to conclusions too

We'll see when next mainline Pokemon RPG is announced, but I think he's right. I don't think Nintendo has any plans to abandon 3DS in near future, too big install base and cheap dev costs.
This time though I hope to be proven wrong and wish Eurogamer is right that it's coming to Switch too, but I expect nothing.
(and I'm still let down.)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
3DS is going away, just not as fast as the WiiU did, because WiiU was a total failure. Amount of new titles developed for 3DS will rapidly decrease and for Switch will decrease. You can live in denial all you want, but 6 year old device with resolution of 400x240 has very limited life span left in 2017.

lol sure.....thats why 3DS was up YoY and has been pretty difficult to find since the last Holiday season. The only people in denial are you, thinking that everyone with access to a 3DS willl throw away their devices because of Switch.

I dont give a damn about the other series, this thread is about Pokemon and these games still sell well on 3DS and need that kind of installed base. No one is asking for BotW or ARMS to be on 3DS. If you cant see the difference between a series like Pokemon and other Nintendo franchises i cant help you. Keep living in your Switch bubble then.

Bringing up resolution as a point why GameFreak wouldnt keep supporting 3DS LOL....the 3DS screen were outdated years ago, no one cared because its Pokemon and still looked good (see Sun and Moon reviews).

Pokemon generations last years and it's fairly logical that the next game be it "Stars", "Sun/Moon 2" or whatever is going to be on the same engine as Sun/Moon. Generations extend to the anime and TCG and have never been shorter than 3 so if they are planning a new Pokemon on Switch I wouldn't expect it before the end of 2019 unless they're going to cross release and I'm not sure the Sun/Moon engine would be graphically impressive enough to look good on a HD system.

Shiggy

lol sure.....thats why 3DS was up YoY and has been pretty difficult to find since the last Holiday season. The only people in denial are you, thinking that everyone with access to a 3DS willl throw away their devices because of Switch.

It's been difficult to find because Nintendo phased out the 3DS. If you look at shipments, they only sent out 2DS and N3DS XL systems. Only the Americas received a very small stock allocation of N3DS systems, potentially some remaining stock.

If they don't produce and ship the N3DS, it's obviously difficult to find. Same is true for the original 3DS and 3DS XL.

cw_sasuke

It's been difficult to find because Nintendo phased out the 3DS. If you look at shipments, they only sent out 2DS and N3DS XL systems. Only the Americas received a very small stock allocation of N3DS systems, potentially some remaining stock.

If they don't produce and ship the N3DS, it's obviously difficult to find. Same is true for the original 3DS and 3DS XL.

I was talking about the whole 3DS family not any specific SKU - from what ive read there have been months after the Holidays with empty 3DS shelves at mayor retailers. And the system sold more in 2016 compare to 2017...thats not behavior of a system about to die, especially with a new SKU revision incoming.

Philippo

If the next pkmn comes to 3ds only, i'll be disappointed.
I skipped the 3ds and instead planning on buying a Switch, would have bought a new pokemon on it on day one.

This is the ideal schedule for me:

2017: Pokemon Stars (3DS, Switch)
2018: Pokemon Sun 2 and Pokemon Moon 2 (3DS, Switch)
2019: 8th generation games (Switch)
2020: Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes (Switch)

That's an ideal path for them to take. Going cross-gen for the rest of 7th gen allows them to get familiar with the Switch's hardware to actually put out a competent game to debut the 8th generation from the ground up, while still being able to sell/milk the 7th gen on 3DS.

4th gen remakes would be too early on 3DS and so far no platform has seen two remakes since we saw Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on 3DS already. Same reason why those weren't on DS if Game Freak were that addicted to the DS (still the record holder for most main Pokemon games IIRC).

This is a pretty late hire, so my final thoughts on it is either they need a new programmer to help continue patching the 3DS Pokemon games.

Or they're jumping into the 3DS Remakes of Diamond and Pearl

pokéfan

What if diamond/pearl remakes are coming to the 3DS next year, and Pokemon stars for the Switch this year.

Or red/blue 3D remake for 3DS.

roytheone

I expect the new Pokemon to be cross gen.

One big difference between this and the black/white 2 situation is that the 3ds was backwards compatible,so you could still play them on the 3ds. Since that is not the case with the switch, I expect a switch version to happen besides the 3ds version. Doubt it will be much more then a simple upres, but at least you would be able to play it on the switch.

Guys dont you understand, they were using programmers from DS and gameboy advance still when making 3ds games, looking for 3ds programmers means they are prepared to jump to switch. That would make sense with their games looking and running like they were made 1 or 2 generations behind the ssytem they are working on 😏
Jk of course
or not lol

Rncewind

Please make it cross gen if it has to be on 3DS. I've no interest in revisiting Alola on the 3DS engine where it chugs so badly and its compressed into those tiny screens.
The chugging is gf fault, not the 3ds

I would find a 3ds pokemon hillarios, not only because meltdowns but because of people that saying since the Switch announced oh look Nintendo is gonna combine all his ressources on one Plattform lol

Kneefoil

Diamond/Pearl remakes.

Y'know, I'm not usually very interested in remakes, but this is the one generation that I have been very curious about how they are going to improve it. Putting them on a badly dated hardware that would hold the games back would kill all enthusiasm I would've had for the games, though.

Roufianos

This is why I won't be getting a Switch anytime soon. Got pissed beyond belief when this happened with B/W2 and ended up selling my 3DS.

ZeroGravity

As a huge Pokemon fan, I stopped playing Sun/Moon a lot sooner than most Pokemon games because I'm just done with the 3DS. I don't know if I'd even bother if they released another one for it.

Charamiwa

Banned
It will be a new pokemon game
it will be on 3ds
You will bitch about it
Be "disappointing"
And still buy it and claim how awesome it is
Proving their point that releasing it on 3ds was a good idea..

Ah ah no way I'm buying a new Pokémon on the 3DS, especially after how poorly Sun & Moon ran on it. I love playing games on the Switch and I'm ready to buy it on here.

I know 3DS has 65 millions units in the while and all that, but the Switch has the momentum and excitement behind it. If they don't want to ride it, then that's too bad.

If Pokemon doesn't come to Switch 2018 at the latest, Nintendo should really gets some balls and get pissed at the Pokemon dudes.
Why? Switch doesn't have the userbase to host an exclusive mainline Pokemon currently. It usually takes Gamefreak a couple of years to get one on a new handheld, so if the next one turns out to be on 3DS it won't be a surprise. Yeah some people have willing "moved on" from their 3DS but that doesn't make you the majority for the audience Pokemon primarily targets. Switch fans just have a really big sense of entitlement that tends to drown out common business sense around here.

Besides, Nintendo is not having any trouble selling the Switch right now, but of course it'll likely get many Pokemon games down the line.

FinalAres

If this comes to just 3DS then I will be mega-pissed off, but equally it makes total sense for it to be on both 3DS and Switch.

The problem is, from a short term business point of view, you can make more money off the 3DS userbase. However Nintendo need to regain the trust that they'll support their platforms properly. I know a number of WiiU owners that were happy they got some really good games, but still pretty pissed off at the weak support of the WiiU, and they're dubious about getting a Switch as a result. I'm guessing you all do too!

If this comes to just 3DS then I will be mega-pissed off, but equally it makes total sense for it to be on both 3DS and Switch.

The problem is, from a short term business point of view, you can make more money off the 3DS userbase. However Nintendo need to regain the trust that they'll support their platforms properly. I know a number of WiiU owners that were happy they got some really good games, but still pretty pissed off at the weak support of the WiiU, and they're dubious about getting a Switch as a result. I'm guessing you all do too!

There is nothing wrong with the first year support the Switch is getting. It's much better than what the 3DS and WiiU got in theirs.

jariw

Pokemon generations last years and it's fairly logical that the next game be it "Stars", "Sun/Moon 2" or whatever is going to be on the same engine as Sun/Moon. Generations extend to the anime and TCG and have never been shorter than 3 so if they are planning a new Pokemon on Switch I wouldn't expect it before the end of 2019 unless they're going to cross release and I'm not sure the Sun/Moon engine would be graphically impressive enough to look good on a HD system.

The Sun/Moon models are already prepared for HD. The backgrounds are not.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The 3DS is the new GameBoy. It will live alongside more and more powerful machines for years to come.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I don't think there's a chance at all that the new Pokémon will be Switch exclusive. No way Nintendo are going to leave that 70 million install base any time soon.

Dystify

My take on this: This doesn't affect their next game at all as that should be nearing completion. I believe in the Stars on Switch rumor. It may come to 3DS as well though, at least that's seems like the most sensible choice.

This job is most likely for Diamond and Pearl remakes or whatever they choose to release next year (and beyond) and will also be on 3DS/Switch.

I told you guys, Nintendo ain't done with the 3DS. The best scenario we could see now is a release of the next Pokemon game both on 3DS and Switch.

cw_sasuke

And they absolutely would.

Not sure what point you're trying to make, as if the Switch would only offer that for kids to play.

Whats the benefit of going Switch only instead of 3DS/Switch ? Switch will sell out this year anyway.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Stop. Making. Games. For. The. 3DS. PLEASE.

If Pokemon Stars isn't on the Switch I am going to be very disappointed.

Just so you can continue the "Nintendo only support their console for a couple of years" narrative?

Dystify

Whats the benefit of going Switch only instead of 3DS/Switch ? Switch will sell out this year anyway.

In my opinion it wouldn't be smart to just abandon the 3DS like Nintendo usually does with other consoles. With how they talk about Switch it is clear they weren't fully confident in it after they had already failed with Wii U. If they abandoned 3DS right away and Switch didn't take off for some reason they'd be left with almost nothing for a few years.

Forkball

I fully expect Stars to be crossgen Switch/3DS. If the next Pokemon games are a Gen IV remake, I wouldn't be surprised if that was also crossgen. Though the idea of Game Freak making a RPG that's not Pokemon is also fairly intriguing.

upandaway

Whether or not Stars is also for the Switch, I always thought it was really obvious it's gonna be on 3DS regardless because just think about how cheap it must be to make that and how much it's going to sell. The cost and man-hours must be almost negligible.

Adrian121

My take on this: This doesn't affect their next game at all as that should be nearing completion. I believe in the Stars on Switch rumor. It may come to 3DS as well though, at least that's seems like the most sensible choice.

This job is most likely for Diamond and Pearl remakes or whatever they choose to release next year (and beyond) and will also be on 3DS/Switch.

Agreed. Seems like the most logical scenario to me.

Top Bottom