• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Freak hiring programmer for 3DS RPG (so next Pokemon will be on 3DS?)

13ruce

Banned
Will not even buy any new 3ds games i loved it alot but the hardware is getting pretty outdated. So if the next poke game is only on 3ds i will simply skip it.

javac

Yeah I mean Nintendo want to sell an additional 6 million 3DS', that isn't going to happen on the back of nothing

GF doesnt think so apparently.

And its odd that ppl want them to rush a game out onto Switch after what happened with X/Y. I'd rather they take their time.

What happened with X/Y? The games sold well, had solid reviews, and were pretty fun for me at least.

I feel like a Stars release could simultaneously drop on Switch and 3DS. You can't ignore the larger base but I don't think GF should ignore an attach rate that would likely end up at 80-90%

coughlanio

Perhaps the bulk of the main team are on Switch and they need to staff up on 3DS development? Stars won't be a Switch exclusive I think.

Steiner

Banned
The Eurogamer report about Pokemon Stars stated that it was well into development at the time, and had been developed alongside the 3DS version, right?

If so, then I think it's safe to assume that Stars on Switch is pretty much done or getting close. This listing could very well be for the NEXT Pokemon game, which I would expect to be on both Switch and 3DS, and I'm totally okay with that.

EhoaVash

Yeah I don't see Pokemon on switch this year. Totally see the 3ds having another Pokemon game though lol,

Pokemon company will wants to sell at least 13 million units of their next game.... on switch that is impossible especially when how low switch shipments are expected for the remaining of the year. Not a good business decision when most customers can't find a switch. Hell I don't think switch will reach 13 million by end of the year

Even if it pisses me off, Nintendo just can't control the Pokemon company with a iron fist. A business decision they probably regret lol

Sounds like they are gonna push N3DS as the companion entry level portable for the forseeable future

Which irritates the fuck out of me since the systems have ZERO crossover at the moment

Switch owners that wanted to move on to a brighter future where Nintendo titles werent isolated exclusively between platforms seems far away still

Not to mention the pitfalls of them potentially trying to push cross gen titles in the near future with this (assuming thats even what this is) and the rumors of updated Smash having an N3DS version

But it doesnt help to speculate.... Im just incredibly frustrated that the Focus isnt 100% on switch like it should be

At least make a proper 3DS successor or a switch Mini.....

AetherZX

Come to think if it, cross-gen would be the safest way to dive into the Switch.

Stars: 3DS/Switch
Remakes for next year; DP for 3DS; "Platinum" special version for Switch, or if it's Kanto related a good excuse for RBY "sequels" with Yellow on Switch keeping the following feature.

What happened with X/Y? The games sold well, had solid reviews, and were pretty fun for me at least.

I feel like a Stars release could simultaneously drop on Switch and 3DS. You can't ignore the larger base but I don't think GF should ignore an attach rate that would likely end up at 80-90%
It was a technical mess and shipped with a game ruining bug.

IMHO, you can't have it both ways and say that 3rd parties are dumb for not supporting Switch early on/this year and also say that GF is smart to wait until Switch has sold 20 million units or whatever.

doop_

Banned
Dudes, why would they start hiring for a new 3DS game now if Stars is rumored to come out this year ? This news makes me think Stars will be released next year for both Switch and N3DS.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
You guys are reading too much into this listing. I think there's a chance, if Stars exists, that it's for both Switch and 3DS. But I doubt this would even mean anything for that game since it'd have to be well into production. Honestly, I don't see why some are so bothered by continued 3DS support, Nintendo was never going to instantly abandon their big install base. If games continue to come to 3DS only I can see getting upset, but this listing literally tells you nothing about whether that would happen.

XandBosch

I think people read way too far into listings all the time lol. They might just want the skill set and viewpoint of someone with that type of expertise, might have NOTHING to do with the game they're going to be developing. I bet Harmo Knight was labelled an "RPG" when they were hiring for that too.

KingBroly

Banned
You guys are reading too much into this listing. I think there's a chance, if Stars exists, that it's for both Switch and 3DS. But I doubt this would even mean anything for that game since it'd have to be well into production. Honestly, I don't see why some are so bothered by continued 3DS support, Nintendo was never going to instantly abandon their big install base. If games continue to come to 3DS only I can see getting upset, but this listing literally tells you nothing about whether that would happen.

There's nothing to suggest Nintendo is going to start putting their games on both Switch and 3DS, unfortunately.

It will most likely cost them sales, though.

Nintenleo

I believe that we'll see a main line Pokèmon on Switch only when a new generation is ready. Stars will probably be a 3DS only game for this reason.

But I'll be a happy to eat crow. :)

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
A large chunk of Pokemon fans are children whose parents aren't going to be buying them a £280 Switch anytime soon, which is also why the new 2DS model is soon going to be their most recent hardware release.

Every time a new console comes out we have this, gaffers are more likely to buy consoles at launch at the highest price before complaining about droughts when games still release for those who aren't thinking about upgrading for a year or two.

Aaaaannnnd bingo. I was working for Nintendo's consumer service team shortly after the 3DS launch. When Mario Kart 7 came out on 3DS only, I can tell you we got a lot of calls from very pissed parents. Most of them had two of three DS's in the house and weren't in the market for upgrading...

Even after the DS was discountinued we still had parents calling up to ask where they could buy DS's (most ended up buying cheap knock-offs online that we refused to help them with).

XandBosch

I believe that we'll see a main line Pokèmon on Switch only when a new generation is ready. Stars we'll probably be a 3DS only game for this reason.

But I'll be a happy to eat crow. :)

We don't even know that Stars exists. They didn't do a third game for the X & Y gen, right? Maybe the rumoured game IS the next gen.

I have to think that Nintendo has some pull when it comes to Pokemon, especially since they own 33% of it or whatever. From our POV it never seems like they've asked the Pokemon company to do anything - but we also know the Switch is make or break for Nintendo. Maybe for once they're leaning on that relationship a bit in asking them to switch to Switch quicker.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
There's nothing to suggest Nintendo is going to start putting their games on both Switch and 3DS, unfortunately.

It will most likely cost them sales, though.

Starting with Wii U Nintendo has been determined to change how they support their multiple platforms. While they failed to an extent with their 3D Mario titles and Smash Bros since they couldn't convince people to buy two platforms for similar games I'm certain they know they can make successful use of this form of development. No 3DS title has been multiplatform with Switch so far but among the titles that remain there aren't many that would benefit from being multiuplatform like Pokemon would. Especially if it's a third version of Sun and Moon.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
So what are the odds of this being for a patch to Sun and Moon for compatibility to Stars if it's indeed Switch exclusive?

JoeM86

People seem to be of the erroneous belief that X & Y were rushed. And ORAS. Basically, when a game ends up not being perfect, people claim Game Freak rushed it and are incompetent

Just look at the install base. That is all that matters to them.

It's not all. However, having a block between users of other games in the same Pokémon generation from being able to connect with eachother. That matters to them.

Oswen

It would not surprise me if the next Pokémon game ends up being a 3DS title, I expect gen VIII to be on the Switch eventually but Eurogamer seems adamant on "Stars" being real so who knows.

Thinking on it I wonder how a Switch Pokemon game would deal with savefiles since carts seem to be read only.
Would every profile get its save? That means the coveted multy save option would be real and one would need a single game per household...which kind of goes against the multiple versions idea.
What would happen then if a kid gets his own Switch? Since save files are locked on the system would he lose all his progress and pokémon? Doesn't that goes against the basic concept of the games?
Or could a Switch pokemon game use "special" writable cart? Can the Switch even support those?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Been done with the DS line since they threw a 3 on it so I've missed out on a lot of Pokemon. Hopefully they get one on Switch because I'd love to jump into it.

18-Volt

The Eurogamer report about Pokemon Stars stated that it was well into development at the time, and had been developed alongside the 3DS version, right?

If so, then I think it's safe to assume that Stars on Switch is pretty much done or getting close. This listing could very well be for the NEXT Pokemon game, which I would expect to be on both Switch and 3DS, and I'm totally okay with that.

3DS and Switch aren't wirelessly compatible with each other, so next mainline Pokémon game won't be cross platform.

Plus, next mainline pokémon game definitely isn't coming to Switch, as it would break the tradition of selling 6+ million games per title in a year as Nintendo is still having difficulties with console production. I predict real Pokémon games will arrive on Switch when Nintendo launch a true handheld Switch revision.

But I also expect Pokémon to hit Switch this year, but not mainline game. Every year after the new gen is year of Mystery Dungeon. We will get a new MD game, with two player co-op with two joycons. "Stars" subtitle is suitable for a MD game, I think.

Kneefoil

Thinking on it I wonder how a Switch Pokemon game would deal with savefiles since carts seem to be read only.
Would every profile get its save? That means the coveted multy save option would be real and one would need a single game per household...which kind of goes against the multiple versions idea.
I hope save would be tied to a profile. I don't think it goes against the ideology behind multiple versions either because they exist more to encourage trading than anything else. It would be somewhat less profitable for Game Freaks though.

What would happen then if a kid gets his own Switch? Since save files are locked on the system would he lose all his progress and pokémon? Doesn't that goes against the basic concept of the games?
Cloud saves and Pokémon Bank would help with that.

Or could a Switch pokemon game use "special" writable cart? Can the Switch even support those?
Nothing's stopping Nintendo allowing different kinds of cartridges, but I hope such carts will never be used.

JoeM86

3DS and Switch aren't wirelessly compatible with each other, so next mainline Pokémon game won't be cross platform.

That's an odd statement. I'm sure there could be a way to have them communicate. Hell, the Wii U and 3DS can. The DS and Wii can.

Why, its clear they want to support 3DS for another 2 years at least.
Because the 3DS didn't even run Sun and Moon well in a lot of spots. Plus, lets be honest, these games need a visual upgrade. Why would anyone want the next game to be on 8 year old hardware unless they aren't planning to own a Switch?

It should be pretty clear why people want them to move on. Nintendo put out a new system that Pokemon would look a lot better on.

I feel like Stars being cross-platform is the only situation where Gamefreak doesn't piss anybody off.

If it's 3DS exclusive, it pisses people like me off because Sun/Moon ran like ass on the 3DS and it would just be an overall better experience on the Switch for a variety of reasons

if Switch exclusive, it ignores the large 3DS install base and angers those that don't want to upgrade to the Switch yet for a variety of reasons

It was obvious the moment they revealed the N2DSXL, it's not going anywhere. Switch failed to meet expectations and if you were looking forward to Pokeymans, well... You got the wrong console.
See you in 5 years fellow Switch owners, maybe then they'll give us scraps of the franchise with Ultra Pokey Tournament.
(I'm only interested in the traditional RPGs)

Excuse you? It's selling faster than they can make them.

Clefargle

I get why they would do this,but I think it is a mistake.

They could transplant a 10m player base directly from 3ds to switch over a matter of two years if they made it an exclusive. It makes too much sense, but gamefreak is one of the least technically competent developers working with Nintendo. Seems like all their recent games suffer in the performance area. I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't get a switch version working in time. Sad but not surprising.

It was obvious the moment they revealed the N2DSXL, it's not going anywhere. Switch failed to meet expectations and if you were looking forward to Pokeymans, well... You got the wrong console.
See you in 5 years fellow Switch owners, maybe then they'll give us scraps of the franchise with Ultra Pokey Tournament.
(I'm only interested in the traditional RPGs)

What expectations are you talking about?
Where they literally can't make them fast enough?
How it still sold out everywhere?

Schnozberry

I have both a Switch and N3DS on my home network. They seem to do just fine over the same wireless standards.

Nintendo would be smart to work with Gamefreak to make the game for both the 3DS and Switch. It gives people not ready to upgrade an avenue to purchase software, and it gives folks waiting on HD Pokémon a reason to open their wallets for a Switch.

mindatlarge

It makes sense from a software sales perspective to release the next Pokemon on both the Switch and 3DS, considering the 3DS already has a nice install base.

Though I would imagine making the next Pokemon a Switch exclusive would be an amazing system seller. Perhaps Nintendo just isn't confident they could keep up with that sort of demand at this point in time or the foreseeable future? We already know they still plan on supporting the 3DS for some time, perhaps that is part of their reasoning for this, which boils down to maximizing their profit.

Phu

Banned
Nintendo handhelds have always been backwards compatible so Pokemon games could always lean on the last gen for a cycle before moving over for good. With Switch not being backwards compatible, I could see them going through the trouble of making two versions for this next cycle of games.

Top Bottom