• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Freak hiring programmer for 3DS RPG (so next Pokemon will be on 3DS?)

Everyone should have known that we weren't getting a switch Pokémon game after the whole "well seeing as how the Switch isn't a 3DS, Pokémon as it currently is wouldnt 'work' on Switch because it's not an actual portable and it's impossible to make Pokémon for something that isn't really portable for stupid dumb reasons. Maybe we'll give it poken or something", thing Gamefreak said not to long ago
We're getting one sooner or later, they specifically hired an artist to make "Wii U and Vita level" "cartoon monsters".

Unless you're suggesting Nintendo is going to release a different handheld that will also have Wii U level graphics?

No one can possibly think that Sun Moon was the last Pokemon on 3DS. Like we have twenty years of precedent to show that Pokemon games always release very late or at the end of handheld life cycles, many times even after the next hardware has come out. This really doesnt have anything to do with whether or not theyre working on a port or some other project for Switch. Game Freak is a large developer. Theres overlap in product cycles.

Capcom finally announce an improved version of the last MH for the Switch. Your turn Game Freak.

tenor.gif

Everyone should have known that we weren't getting a switch Pokémon game after the whole "well seeing as how the Switch isn't a 3DS, Pokémon as it currently is wouldnt 'work' on Switch because it's not an actual portable and it's impossible to make Pokémon for something that isn't really portable for stupid dumb reasons. Maybe we'll give it poken or something", thing Gamefreak said not to long ago
Excuse me?!
giphy.gif

Pokemaniac

Is it possible that they'll do a dual release for Switch AND 3ds for the next generation?

A dual Switch and 3DS release of any mainline Pokemon game is not a particularly likely scenario. Especially with some evidence from that Monster Hunter thing that Switch <-> 3DS local wireless may not be trivial. Gen VIII will almost definitely be for Switch only.

He's talking about the comments made by Tsunekazu Ishihara.

Basically the Pokemon Company are over complicating things with the Switch, they don't see it as a portable and therefore they would have to change their approach for Pokemon on Switch - seems really stupid when we first heard it...

Just watch Nintendo release another portable next to the Switch.

Nintendo's been pretty adamant about the Switch being a console, and they're the same people who released the DS originally as a standalone portable next to the Game Boy.

I'm not saying it's desirable, certain or even smart, but with Nintendo it's infuriatingly plausable.

Nintendo's been pretty adamant about the Switch being a console, and they're the same people who released the DS originally as a standalone portable next to the Game Boy.

I'm not saying it's desirable, certain or even smart, but with Nintendo it's infuriatingly plausable.
Watch them release a standalone SwitchTV that's not portable but has hard drive, and a clamshell a la GBA SP called SwitchSpi that is strictly portable mode that utilizes binned SOCs that weren't stable at docked clocks... With the hybrid being a limited edition "first run" that gets phased out. I would not be surprised.
I'd buy a SwitchSpi...

Yeah no. The DS situation was also completely different. It was marketed as a standalone because they didn't know if it would bomb or not

I never doubted that stars would either be a 3ds exclusive or a multi plat release.

Just releasing it on switch never made sense to me.

I'd sell my switch and pretend Nintendo closed.

Fuck that

RoadHazard

Gold Member
As long as it's on Switch too (and that version is a noticeable upgrade), that's fine. It's understandable that they don't want to just drop the system that currently has the entire Pokemon player base (unless your count Go).

As long as it's on Switch too (and that version is a noticeable upgrade), that's fine. It's understandable that they don't want to just drop the system that currently has the entire Pokemon player base (unless your count Go).

They didn't develop Go, so I doubt they care that much.

Smasher89

I'd find it hilarious
and be grateful
if it ended up being gamefreak forcing Nintendos hand to release another dual screen handheld.

It would be nice, having a option other then the pro premium price the switch has for everything(console, nintendo tax on games, payed online, controllers, nintendo account system etc) to have a new portable console to follow up the 3ds with a console thats cheaper, a bit more power and backwards compatible, for a fair price, just focusing on portable games.

Sheentak

It would be nice, having a option other then the pro premium price the switch has for everything(console, nintendo tax on games, payed online, controllers, nintendo account system etc) to have a new portable console to follow up the 3ds with a console thats cheaper, a bit more power and backwards compatible, for a fair price, just focusing on portable games.
The switch is that. Just make a handheld version of the switch at a cheaper price.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
The switch is that. Just make a handheld version of the switch at a cheaper price.
"Switch" implies being able to switch between console and handheld. What would a handheld only version of the Switch console be named? Nintendo No Switch? Nintendo Stay?

I swear to god if Game Freak does not support another Nintendo console.

Yeah, I find this very boggling as well. I mean, Game Freak never, EVER, developed a single game for a Nintendo home console since 1997 for the Super Famicom, a Japan-only game Bushi Seiry&#363;den: Futari no Y&#363;sha. They even made games for non-Nintendo home consoles (Click Medic for PSX in 1999 and Tembo the Badass Elephant for PS4/XBO in 2015). Why they never made a game for a Nintendo home console, hence they had such close relation with them for decades, is... strange to say the least.

This announcement for 3DS when Switch is around (a system designed to be both a home console AND A PORTABLE) makes that even stranger.

True Fire

Yeah, I find this very boggling as well. I mean, Game Freak never, EVER, developed a single game for a Nintendo home console since 1997 for the Super Famicom, a Japan-only game Bushi Seiry&#363;den: Futari no Y&#363;sha. They even made games for non-Nintendo home consoles (Click Medic for PSX in 1999 and Tembo the Badass Elephant for PS4/XBO in 2015). Why they never made a game for a Nintendo home console, hence they had such close relation with them for decades, is... strange to say the least.

This announcement for 3DS when Switch is around (a system designed to be both a home console AND A PORTABLE) makes that even stranger.

You're overthinking it.

Pokémon was clearly meant to be a portable series. Trading with friends, link cables, battles in schoolyards etc. Home console games like Stadium and XD were outsourced.

I don't think Gamefreak has some kind of vendetta against Nintendo home consoles, they just never ended up releasing their non-Pokemon IPs on them.

Gamefreak also likes to keep Pokemon generations contained to one console, with Crystal being the only exception—but it hardly counts because Gold and Silver were considered GBC games by everyone.

If Stars releases on 3DS it would hardly be unusual. Realistically there won't be a Pokémon game on Switch until 2019. 3DS had to wait the same amount of time, remember?

Top Bottom