• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Gear emulation coming to the Retron5 later this year

shanafan

During an interview at E3, a Hyperkin developer confirmed that an adapter is coming to the Retron5 later this year to allow Game Gear games to be playable on the console.

Here is the interview. Game Gear mention is at the 2:57 mark.

http://directory.libsyn.com/episode...ZBzMULntwEhZA3H98eZBdZBWgb&expires_in=5184000

18hd3ei34de9cjpg.jpg

Awesome. Been wanting this. I can now play the terrible Mega Man on Game Gear on a TV screen. Maybe this means N64 support is coming?

Peltz

What are the must play titles for this system?

Eh... That's a really good question. I didn't really enjoy my Game Gear all that much. It's Sega's worst system by far.

But I had some fun with the Sonic games back then although they haven't aged very well. I've also heard good things about Beyond Oasis and Shining Force.

I think there was a fairly fun version of Micro Machines on there as well. And maybe Ristar and Gunstar Heroes ports are worth checking out as well.

Ramune

Sonic Chaos
Sonic Triple Trouble
Tails Adventures
GG Shinobi 1 & 2
GG Fantasy Zone
and Vampire: Master of Darkness come to mind...

Sonic 2
Sonic Labyrinth
Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic Drift 1 & 2
ax-battler
Shinobi
G-lock (I think that was the spelling)
+
Tails Adventure

These are the ones I enjoyed on my game gear before it broke.

A company that basically steals and hitches off the hard work of the libretro/retroarch guys deserve to be shamed in every thread.

do not buy a retron.

Good. I'd post it in every Retron thread, they don't deserve sales. Unless you think taking someone else's hard work is okay?

Too late. I preordered and received a Retron5 before all the controversy. Just saying, the internet gonna be predictable.

It was pretty low what they did but at least they came clean (as far as I am aware). I'm not returning mine.

Are you going to chuck your Xboxes or PS' in the bin because they use a dpad and analogue stick? I mean, technically they stole these ideas from Nintendo and tweaked them slightly. Sounds familiar no?

iidesuyo

Sort of. IIRC the Game Gear has stereo sound capabilities while the Master System is mono, plus it has a much larger colour palette.

Yup, the Game Game Gear could display 32 out of 4036 colours.

(In comparison, Mega Drive/Genesis had 64 out of 512 colours.)

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Although the random battles get annoying sometimes - I reallly did enjoy Defenders of Oasis. Wish there were more RPGs based in an persian setting. Great Soundtrack too

Krejlooc

Banned
Too late. I preordered and received a Retron5 before all the controversy. Just saying, the internet gonna be predictable.

It was pretty low what they did but at least they came clean (as far as I am aware). I'm not returning mine.

Are you going to chuck your Xboxes or PS' in the bin because they use a dpad and analogue stick? I mean, technically they stole these ideas from Nintendo and tweaked them slightly. Sounds familiar no?

You dont know what you are talking about at all.

The retron 5 literally uses stolen code. They didnt come clean about shit, they are still selling something they stole.

Your comparison doesn't even come close to what is happening.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo 64 is the only thing I'm interested in now. Can't wait for those to eventually hit the market.

You dont know what you are talking about at all.

The retron 5 literally uses stolen code. They didnt come clean about shit, they are still selling something they stole.

Your comparison doesn't even come close to what is happening.
You might want to unknot those knickers mate.

This is what I was referring to:

"It has always been our intention to release the relevant source code for the open source emulators used within RetroN 5. We have not been as quick as we could have been, since we have been busy improving the RetroN 5 user experience. The relevant source code has now been released. From this point forward we will not only keep our copy of this code updated for those who wish to obtain the latest version, but also submit patches for any fixes that we implement back to the original projects so that the entire community may benefit. Hyperkin will continue to endeavor to fulfill the licenses of any project used within RetroN 5 and any other software we write."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...infringing_on_the_rights_of_emulator_creators

"Back to the original projects"

That is admitting guilt in my book.

And my comparison is perfectly apt and suitable. If you choose to ignore it, good for you.

Top Bottom