• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game genres you know you'll never be good at no matter how much you try

What genres are you eternally bad at?

• First person shooters

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • Third person shooters

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Fast paced 3D action game

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Slower paced 3D action game/horror

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 2D action/top+side scrollers/metroidvania

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Any game resembling 1-death Rogue and Battle Royales

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Stealth

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • RPG

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • RTS (real time strategy)

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Turn based strategy

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Fighting

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Sports and racers

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • Platformer

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Puzzle

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Rhythm/music

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Crafting/community based content

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.0%

• Total voters

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Multi-votes allowed

Any genres you suck at since the beginning of time? And no matter how many attempts, you always suck? Bad skills, zero interest to forge ahead, you just cant keep up.

Feel free to post specific game/franchise examples too.

For me, RTS are the worst. Never big in them to start with, but trying them on PC in the 90s, I was bad. I like my strategy games turn based. I tried Warcraft and Total Annihilation back in the day. Just never good at them.

Last edited:

Aion002

2d fighting.

I am terrible at doing the special moves. I always end up button mashing...

internautday GIF by telenet

Last edited:

NewYork214

I put racers and fps. But I will say when I find a few in those genres that click. They really click

I am horrible at the fast paced twitchy shooters. I don't get any enjoyment out of them. Battlefront I love.

Last edited:
Bullet hell shooters for sure. Or any kind of arcade game with one hit deaths. Apart from being difficult it's just not fun, so I can't bring myself to practice. 100% frustrating.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Fighting. I'm just too lazy and unenthused to put in the time to get to muscle memory precision.

It's funny because I will get that good in a pvp scenario like guild wars 2. The motivation just has to be there for me.

Maybe if they did a megaman fighter versus game? I'd love that.

Keihart

Never have i ever played a game and felt incompetently about it, not even when talking about competitive games.
Expectations i guess.

Orta

Banned
I hate hardcore fighting games.

Quick! Press down left, back, back, A+B, up, down, X, X, X, Y+Z, L, R forward, forward and rotate the pad anti-clockwise six times to stick your leg out a bit to parry Master Ryo Hakazakabuki's flaming dragon mystical arsehole thunder punch. Noooo!!!!! You got it wrong, its X, Y, X, Y+Z, L, R! It's SO easy! Now you've broken the 15643 chain hit combo you NOOB!!!!!!

Fuck right off.

Wonko_C

I suck at FPS, no matter if it's with keyboard & mouse or with a gamepad. I can't aim for shit. But give me the same game in VR and I own it like a boss.

Take DOOM3 for example. I get killed a lot, I fail shotgun blasts at point blank range, I take ages to figure out where I'm getting shot from, and then die... and that's on Normal difficulty.

But DOOM3 VR Edition is another story: playing on the second hardest difficulty I haven't died a single time, my aiming is faster and more precise, and I can hear where the enemies are coming from, turn around and shoot them in the face in an instant. It almost feels like I am the one getting the jump on those closet-monsters before they can even react.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I'm going with 'other', because I did not see bullet-hell as an option. I hate to compare my skillz to Girlfriend of Girlfriend Reviews fame, but she eloquently referred to those games as, "diarrhea Christmas lights", which is how I've always viewed them, but could not put into words.

Fighting games
Platforming games
Other: Soulsborne and like games (games with no difficulty settings/ punishing yet "rewarding" gameplay type games basically).
Stealth games not named Metal Gear Solid
Bullet hell games

teezzy

Banned
Shame how people keep saying fighting games here

They're like learning instruments, I guess. First you pick a character who appeals to you. Learn the very basic fundamentals of the game (they're all super simple at their core). Like acknowledge what your buttons do, then learn a move or two. Get your ass kicked a little, and learn from mistakes. Proceed from there.

It's really not as complex as people want to make it seem. Sounds like everyone gets frustrated they aren't Justin Wong or Knee right out the gate. You gotta have fun and get your ass beat before you get good

Last edited:

Radrigal

I love RTS games

I suck at them as well

The most I can do is beat the campaign on hard, mostly by turtling in my base before swarming the enemy.

Guilty_AI

Not there but, competitive multiplayer in general, especially shooters.
I can't see myself devoting hours upon hours, watching multiple youtube tutorials on the same game over and over just to raise my skill a little bit and stay competitive.

Last edited:
I voted RTS games. I could probably get better at them, but the micromanagement needed to to be good at them is not interesting to me at all, so I don’t really have the motivation.

Tarkus98

I picked turn based strategy games. I actually really enjoy the genre, but I suck at it.
I liked FF Tactics a lot and played the hell out of it (and other similar style games) but I always struggle through each level. It appears that my brain is just not wired to be even remotely competent in the genre.
Get the sword or axe dude up on a hill over his opponent, set the mages and archers back a ways.... move this dude here, that girl there.... bah. I end up all over the place, usually getting squashed by my opponent, but I always go back for more.

Portugeezer

Fighting. Ain't got patience to learn all the combos and shit. As a kid, we would spam buttons and even then I was pretty shit at fighting games amongst friends.

Belthazar

Twin-stick shooters, I'm okay at them but I don't seem to ever be able to reach the skill level required for the higher difficulties and whatnot.

Off-topic: I'm new here and there's no option to vote on the poll, are new members not allowed to?

Last edited:

Tschumi

Contemporary online FPS. Because a) I can't put in enough time to memorize where everyone will be running through every level and b) cheat engines will ventilate my skull 9 times out of every 10 spawns.

Can genuinely I have at least one game I love in every genre. But going to sub genres MMOs, Gatcha and turn based JRPGs are the hardest for me to get into. Gatcha mostly cause it’s designed to milk you dry of money. Should just rename it Gotcha sucker.

Last edited:

Dark Star

FPS (COD multiplayer in particular. I get like 20 kills and 20 deaths lol, my ratio sucks)

Fighting (Mortal Kombat. There’s no way I’m memorizing combos and stuff, but I don’t button mash either. I’m just lazy)

Racing (mostly Simulator games like drive club. It’s just hard)

Last edited:

Tschumi

I'm actually not a very big believer in people never being any good at anything, it's all a function of practice and commitment... i think i'll never be good at leveling toons in vanilla wow at the maximum possible speed... i think no amount of practice will get me better at that, because RL is too important to me

Sim games where you manage whole cities or civilisations. They just never clicked with me.
most of them give u options to automate most of that stuff tho!

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Any game that has parrying, or requires split second reaction times.
I'm bad at every game.

I just try to have fun along the way.

Pretty much this. Been gaming for like 20 years, and I still suck.

The extent of my skill is beating Ninja Garden Black, but even that was at the lowest difficulty.

DeepSpace5D

most of them give u options to automate most of that stuff tho!
What is your favorite one? Or maybe the one you would recommend the most for people not used to playing those type of games? I agree with what you said, I also believe anyone can get good at any genre if they spend time with it.

I tried SimCity a long time ago when I was much younger and wasn’t a fan at that time. More recently I tried the Tropico series and just wasn’t enjoying myself much.

Last edited:

Ogbert

RTS games, and I wish I was good at them.

Terrible at fighting games, but I couldn’t care less and stopped playing after Tekken 2.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
RTS games, and I wish I was good at them.

Terrible at fighting games, but I couldn’t care less and stopped playing after Tekken 2.
Same boat. Never got into RTS and was bad at them when I tried. I give credit to any RTS gamers who are solid at this genre as it takes a combo fast reflexes, godly hotkeying, and good strategic thinking all wrapped up in one.

I've always been better at turn based strategy games though. Heroes of M&M, Steel Panthers, etc... Even playing Axis and Allies or any board game where I get to think for a few minutes what to do preplanning buying units, tile placement or a long term strategy I do much better against others.

Tekken 2 and 3 were the last fighting games I poured time into. Awesome games on PS1.

Last edited:

Diddy X

Battle Royale, I don't even wanna try anymore

RTS on the other hand, there seem to be a long learning curve and the strategy is interesting

Top Bottom