• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Importers?

Do you shop at Play-Asia?

Results are only viewable after voting.
So, do you guys shop at Play-Asia? If so, or if not, we'd love it if you responded to this quick poll question. Just click above, as we'll be using the data to make decisions, instead of reading all your responses. :D

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I've only ever owned one import game (RockMan 2 on the NES) and that was because my cousin (who bought imports all the time from shops) gave it to me.

Matlock

Banned
I don't import at all, really, but the couple of times that I have (long time ago) were purchased through eBay.

demi

Only time I ever used Play-Asia was earlier this month when Starfox Assault was $20, but waiting about 3 weeks for it was not worth it at all.

Importing's an expensive hobby, so I don't do it much. But I did just like the recent Summer Sale, picking up SFA US for $20, and Time Crisis 3 Chinese for $10 or so (I don't even have a modded PS2 or any way to play imports yet, but I probably will at some point, and I'm curious to hear how the Chinese audio track sounds).

Basically, I think my game importing's been mixed between Play-Asia, Lik-Sang, and NCSX.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I've imported from them a couple times. They are much quicker than comparable services I've used....but their all too expensive unless it's a sale.

Danj

I want an option for "I used to shop at Play-Asia, but then Sony Europe blocked them from shipping PSP stuff to the UK" :lol

But anyway, yeah I have shopped at Play-Asia a few times during the past 6 months or so.

JPRaup

Banned
I have never ever imported a game

I imported a VGA adapter thats it, and that was off a private, business website

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I've gotten imports from NCSX.com, VideGameDepot.com, JapanVideoGames.com's physical store, and a local import shop a couple of miles from JVG's store.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
I didn't vote in the poll, but while I've yet to actually purchase from Play-Asia, I WILL be making a big order there soon. The only imports I've picked up have been from The Rage, NCSX and while physically in Japan.

MrDaravon

I import every now and then, I usually use ncsx since I'm near where they're located, and I get stuff fast. P-A seems good if you're willing to pay for the non-cheapest shipping where it takes forever.

For me, I've always found importing too expensive. The only thing I ever imported was a Vdigi VD-Z3 transcoder, because I didn't have another choice. Paid almost as much for shipping as I did for the damn unit ;)

raYne

There hasn't been anything worth importing for me in a long ass time, maybe one or two years. But when I did import heavily it was either from Game Express or NCSX.

I think GE as ceased carrying imported titles though.

evil ways

I've only used Play-Asia once last year cause King of Colosseum II was about $20 less than the other online retailers and I also had a discount coupon.

Regularly though I use NCSX and Tronixweb.

Tsubaki

I use(d) primarily NCS & VGD back in the day. Tronix and The Rage occasionally. Now I sorta get imports whenever I drop by Tokyo.

NotMSRP

Order from PlayAsia quite a bit since 2003. Funny how it costs less from a seller in Hong Kong shipping international than a New York importer like NCS. Buying an import doesn't cost that much more than a $49.99 + tax domestic game. So I go for the imports since the North American market doesn't really cater to my gaming needs that well.

Bebpo

Banned
I tend to use Play-asia over NCSX because EMS shipping is cheaper than UPS overnight and since games usually come out on a thursday if you do 2 days or more you'll have to wait until monday. Also NCSX raised their prices some time ago and Play-asia has the $5 off coupons. Both are good, but if I want to be playing a game the first weekend Play-asia is the cheaper choice.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'll price shop on Play Asia and NCS... NCS is in Queens, which means shipping is a LOT faster. Shame they don't have a brick and mortar business though :p

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Can't vote, junior member, but anyway -

I'm in Europe and since games are expensive here I "import" lots of North American games. Mostly from DVDSoon.com or DVDBoxOffice.com.

I buy about 1-3 games a month.

When I want a Japanese game I usually go for Play-Asia.com, although I have shopped from Lik-Sang.com a few times before.

Game prices here in the Netherlands in Euros:

PS2 - 67
GC/XBOX - 60
PC - 50 (with the occasional 60 - Half-Life 2, Doom 3)
GBA/DS - 45

Even Japanese games are cheaper -_-

SKOPE

Only if what I want isn't available from an import shop on my own continent. I try VideoGameDepot, National Console Support, Toys 'n' Joys, Japan Video Games, and The Rage first.

I have not imported a game since King of Fighters 2001 for Dreamcast. The PS2 takes too much effort to get working with import games and there isn't anything for the 'Cube I want that hasn't been or won't be released in this part of the world. (Don't own an Xbox or portable.)

But accessories? Plenty. American retailers are too obsessed with inventory management to let us have anything interesting. (And SCEA apparently thinks brightly colored, translucent plastics are still trendy.)

Link316

Banned
I'm gonna start buying more imports after they release something like PSXchange for the PS2, right now its just too much of a hassle

nubbe

Play-Asia rocks, but they arnt perfect.

Often better then average prices on import games. Fast shipping. Somewhat slow but good costumer service.

The most important feature which saves me a ton of money on customs … They write down values by default.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I used to feed NCS an obscene amount of money int he late 90's. Imported lots of crap. Now I probably import 1-2 games a year if that.

Play-Asia did get my money from Kururin Squash, Paradise, and Drill Land recently. Chances are DQ4r is next with my $5 coupon.

Mofo

I was a one time NCS only type of consumer, but now I almost buy exclusively through Play-Asia... they do indeed rock!

Link1110

I import from NCSX. When I order priority mail from them it invariably comes the next day. There's tax, but with the priority mail shipping, it's still cheaper than most shipping.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I use Play-Asia every once in a while, but mainly stick to NCS. Even if Play-Asia gets their stock a day or even several days in advance, it doesn't matter since it's going to arrive about the same time it would if I got two-day shipping from NCS for around $12. When I use Play-Asia, I refuse to use anything other than UPS, which usually costs a little more than $20, and takes about 3-4 days to arrive.

Top Bottom