• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME in Trouble Again?

Like others have said, it's only a matter of time, they are the exact same shitty company that they were before they were bailed/bought.
"That's the sound of inevitability Mr Anderson"

liquidtmd

Banned
I asked why (instead of assuming they were going out if business) and was told that a manager somewhere had accidentally ordered ALL THE GIFT CARDS and they were having trouble rerouting them to other stores

6748_confused-christian-bale-celebrities.gif

LAM09

Recent prices seem to be more reasonable for some games, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're in trouble once again.

I worked at Game until March 2012 when the first lot of stores were closed. I've still got a lot of mates who work for the company. I can't argue Game is a ripoff and I don't buy from them anymore personally (staff discount used to be pretty decent) - but I'm not a fan of the useless staff blanket statements thrown about in these threads. The guys I know and used to work with still work for Game and certainly know their shit.

Bumhead

Banned
Examples? 10% off after putting 10 quid on the "retail" price? In typical Game fashion.

Pretty much.

There's a Grainger Games just down the road from my local GAME, and it's pretty much a guarantee that GAME will be charging between £5 and £10 more for the same products as in Grainger.

£49.99 games are still the norm for GAME. As are games on "sale" for £30-£40 and pre-owned games at exactly the same price as new versions. I don't generally trade games anymore, but I did trade FIFA 16 the other week, and GAME were offering £17 for it where Grainger gave me £30.

Like I say, they're both more expensive on new products and less rewarding on trades, and that's just compared to the Grainger, CEX and an independent within 3 minutes walk of my local store. Compared to online and it's a bloodbath. It amazes me they last as long as they have as a retail presence.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They gave £10 gift cards to everyone who bought Mario Maker because of the cockup. That has clearly depleted all their stock.

Especially as they accidentally sent them again an additional six times.

Maybe they're changing to a new gift card and the new ones haven't arrived from the printers yet. Wouldn't be surprised it was just temporary incompetence.

Liamc723

Pretty much.

There's a Grainger Games just down the road from my local GAME, and it's pretty much a guarantee that GAME will be charging between £5 and £10 more for the same products as in Grainger.

£49.99 games are still the norm for GAME. As are games on "sale" for £30-£40 and pre-owned games at exactly the same price as new versions. I don't generally trade games anymore, but I did trade FIFA 16 the other week, and GAME were offering £17 for it where Grainger gave me £30.

Like I say, they're both more expensive on new products and less rewarding on trades, and that's just compared to the Grainger, CEX and an independent within 3 minutes walk of my local store. Compared to online and it's a bloodbath. It amazes me they last as long as they have as a retail presence.

I was in a Grainger Games last week and they were charging £49 for new releases.

pelican

Couldn't this suggest the opposite? Perhaps there's lots of people buying them? Bit premature OP

GIFT cards are covered/backed by a bank - in GAME's case I think it is RBS.

If there is an issue with credit, then yes gift card sales can be stopped.

I did wonder at their recent move of "pre-purchasing" new release games prior to launch day and charging pre-order customers a week in advance for the launch of the recent Lego game. Could be a further sign of distributors wanting stop paid for up front due to questionable credit.

Hasney

I tried to trade some stuff in last week and was told that I couldn't put it on a gift card because there were none.

I asked why (instead of assuming they were going out if business) and was told that a manager somewhere had accidentally ordered ALL THE GIFT CARDS and they were having trouble rerouting them to other stores. He also told me they should have them soon. Luckily I was going to buy a few new releases within a few days and traded my goods in then.

Ahaha, sounds like when I worked there.

I mainly shop online as my options are CEX and Argos (about 6 years ago there was Blockbuster, GAME and HMV).

I still have £30 of GAME credit from abusing the MK8 promo but since you can't officially* use credit on pre-orders and they've never had anything at a price I want to pay outside of those it has gone unused.

*-I've recently learned there is a trick along the lines of adding in-stock items to the basket and deleting these items.

Grainger isn't an option South of Derby (which might be part of the reason for their prices, the Oxford Street store GAME must kill them on rent)

If you went back to GAME with the offer Grainger gave, you could have gotten £31. That is assuming you were after credit rather than cash.

Xav

I tried to trade some stuff in last week and was told that I couldn't put it on a gift card because there were none.

I asked why (instead of assuming they were going out if business) and was told that a manager somewhere had accidentally ordered ALL THE GIFT CARDS and they were having trouble rerouting them to other stores. He also told me they should have them soon. Luckily I was going to buy a few new releases within a few days and traded my goods in then.

I work at GAME and can confirm this is what happened.

Yeah I bought Microsoft money last month, the 25 digit code came on the receipt.
Buying something and getting store credit are completely different things. GAME do not do store credit on receipts and this is why it was not offered. You can buy digital content and get them on receipts but not store credit to redeem on purchases.

jesu

Buying something and getting store credit are completely different things. GAME do not do store credit on receipts and this is why it was not offered. You can buy digital content and get them on receipts but not store credit to redeem on purchases.

Ah yeah it was store credit he was talking about, my mistake.
I thought he was talking about 3rd party gift cards.

Bumhead

Banned
I was in a Grainger Games last week and they were charging £49 for new releases.

Really? Legit surprised at that. The last few games I've looked at in Grainger on release day have all been no more than £45. My local store currently has Transformers Devestation (the most recent game I've wanted to pick up) for £40. It's £49.99 in GAME. I've certainly not paid more than £45 in there and that includes some of the years big releases on day one. Will see how much Assassins Creed is in there tomorrow. I'm betting it'll be £49.99 in GAME regardless.

Not the first time it has happened, earlier in the year no stores could get any gift cards in either for a couple of months. The company is pushing pretty hard to get people to use the Game Wallet part of the phone app so it wouldn't surprise me if, just like the physical reward cards, they're being heavily understocked outside of peak times of the year to encourage people to switch.

pelican

But I don't have a load of credit saved up at those retailers - awaiting games due out in the next 8 months. :p

The problem with retailers going into administration is your credit is worthless and you will be bottom of the creditors list.

I would never build up retailer credit - you never know.

Liamc723

Really? Legit surprised at that. The last few games I've looked at in Grainger on release day have all been no more than £45. My local store currently has Transformers Devestation (the most recent game I've wanted to pick up) for £40. It's £49.99 in GAME. I've certainly not paid more than £45 in there and that includes some of the years big releases on day one. Will see how much Assassins Creed is in there tomorrow. I'm betting it'll be £49.99 in GAME regardless.

Yup, I'm pretty sure it was Tales Of Zestiria being sold at that price. But yeah, GAME are always garbage for prices.

Hobohodo

Going into peak trade the majority of gift card purchases will be for "gifts".

An app credit facility isn't suitable for this.

Oh don't get me wrong everyone knows that. But as the poster above me said, as they want everyone to use the app less were being produced even before the shortage. Means when issues have cropped up with gift card supply the actual cards have dried up quicker.

LoveCake

Gift cards seem to be available online. Regardless of what people think of Game, they are the last real nationwide high street store in the UK. They could definitely improve but losing gaming from the UK high Street would be a real shame.

This is all that needs to be said.

People moan about GAME all the time, but they will miss it when it's gone.

I myself have never had a problem with GAME.

Stevey

Gift cards seem to be available online. Regardless of what people think of Game, they are the last real nationwide high street store in the UK. They could definitely improve but losing gaming from the UK high Street would be a real shame.

Yeah, they're all that's left, but its 2015 mate.
Do we really need high street retailers anymore?

No, we don't.

Plasma

Banned
IlVwmdb.gif

Hope they stay gone this time terrible stores with awful customer service and they always seem to get any limited editions of games exclusive to their store so if you want them you have to use them.

It's more likely they are literally waiting to be restocked of giftcards from their warehouse. It happened a few times while I've worked there. Especially in the run-up to Christmas, loads of people will be getting giftcards as gifts. We ran out of carrier bags a couple of times too.

EpicBox

A few years ago a new store opened up near to my local GAME store called Grainger Games. Some of their stores go by Trade Nation. When the store first opened, the guys at GAME reacted with an immediate price match guarantee because the price difference was immediately obvious. They also said Grainger didn't stand a chance. Except the store is still there and is still cheaper.

Grainger is an emerging brand and has stores mostly in the north. But they are pretty much the 2nd biggest games retailer in the country now. And I will support their growth to topple GAME's monopoly.

I have no brand loyalty to any game provider. I just go to whoever offers the best value on an individual purchasing basis.

MCN

Banned
A few years ago a new store opened up near to my local GAME store called Grainger Games. Some of their stores go by Trade Nation. When the store first opened, the guys at GAME reacted with an immediate price match guarantee because the price difference was immediately obvious. They also said Grainger didn't stand a chance. Except the store is still there and is still cheaper.

Grainger is an emerging brand and has stores mostly in the north. But they are pretty much the 2nd biggest games retailer in the country now. And I will support their growth to topple GAME's monopoly.

I live in the north, and my gaming needs are fulfilled by Granger Games and CEX.

GametimeUK

I worked at GAME for a few months over Christmas when they were in trouble last time in 2011. They told us that they never employed us based on anything to do with games, they said that in the interview we shown that we could sell things. We were told bluntly to sell as many add ons as possible because we want their money. Not once can I recall a single time they told us to do something that would benefit the customer. A customer brought back Dead Rising 2 and said it was broke, the manager returned it, looked at me and said "it's not even scratched, put it in the drawer and we'll use it as a gutted NEW copy". Yeah, I didn't fucking do that for him since the disc looked like Edward Scissorhand tried handling it. I asked if my staff discount was for all stores and the manager looks at me and goes "you should spend your money in this store". Okay, mate... this store doesn't have Rayman Origins in store aside from the gutted copy... lol.

Basically the place is a shit hole. The staff were fantastic, though. My time there certainly opened my eyes to how scummy the place is and I can see why the store is destined to fail. I'd be glad to have it gone, but I'd rather it stay open because of all the awesome members of staff that it would leave jobless.

Top Bottom