• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer #189, Scores, Loose Talk, Ect

FrankT

Cover Story: Uncharted 2 I know we have a thread with the details listed on U2, but there are more pics in here than just the ones linked in the other thread. Not sure if all of them are floating around or not now). All I can say is if you are remotely a fan you need to pick this issue up. It looks gorgeous.

As for the rest of the issue:

Scores:
Left 4 Dead 9.25 SO 9.25 GOTM
Call of Duty: WAW 8.75, SO 9
Prince of Persia 8.75 SO 7.75
Legendary 6.5 SO 6.25
Quantum of Solace 6.5
Shaun White Snowboarding (PS3/360) 6.75 SO 6, Wii 6.75 SO 6.5
Sonic Unleashed 6 SO 6.75
TR: Underworld 8.75 SO 8.25
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 8.5 SO 7.75
Alone in the Dark (PS3) 7.25
Legned of Spuro 4
NCAA Basketball 09 7.25, SO 7.25
You're In the Movies 7.25 SO 7.5
Scene It: BOS it 8.5
Lips 7.5
Naruto 8.25
Persona 4 8 SO 7.25
Kindom Hearts RE:Chain of Memories 6.75 SO 7.25
Animal Crossing: City Folk 7.5 SO 6.5
Star Wars: The Clone Wars-LD 5 SO 5.5
Star War: The Clone Wars JA 6 SO 5.5
Skate It 7.75 SO 7.5
Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party 7 SO 7.5
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel 7 SO 7
GH On Tour: Decades 7 SO 7
Cradle of Rome 6.75 SO 7.75
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir 7.5 SO 7.5
Robocalypse 7
Castlevania : Judgement 5

Loose Talk:
Final Fantasy XIII Release Update:

We're hearing that the release date for Final Fantasty XIII is starting to come into view. SE plans to bring the game out in Japan during the 2009 holiday season, with a US release sometime in 2010. This could be as early as the summer of 2010 or as late as holiday 2010.

LBP New Worlds:

LPB themed worlds and myriad unlockables are ripe for expansion pack exploitation, and that's exactly what Sony plans to do with the game. Expansions for the game will follow The Sims model, with each pack of extra content being tightly themed. Expect these to release in both retail and downloaded forms.

EA MMA?

EA Sports is always looking for new sports opportunities, and we've heard a rumor that they are looking into doing a mixed martial arts title. We don't have any other details, but it'll be an interesting rumor watch given that THQ still holds the license for UFC. And we all know how important a license is to EA.

Previews:
GH: Metallica
Skate 2
SF IV
Dirt 2
Alppha Protocol
KZ2
Edge of Twilight
Elemental: War of Magic
Fragile
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces
Ready 2 Rumble Revolution
Splatterhouse
Tenchu 4
Ghostbusters

Jtyettis said:
We're hearing that the release date for Final Fantasty XIII is starting to come into view. SE plans to bring the game out in Japan during the 2009 holiday season, with a US release sometime in 2010. This could be as early as the summer of 2010 or as late as holiday 2010.
Please no.

Nizz

Man, if I were a Final Fantasy fan, that wait would just be killing me right now. Jesus, why are they taking so long?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Thought it would come out holiday 2011.

Gomu Gomu

Jtyettis said:

Isn't it obvious ?
:(

Cardon

EA MMA?

EA Sports is always looking for new sports opportunities, and we've heard a rumor that they are looking into doing a mixed martial arts title. We don't have any other details, but it'll be an interesting rumor watch given that THQ still holds the license for UFC. And we all know how important a license is to EA.

Randy Couture mentioned in an interview awhile back that he was talking to EA about doing an MMA game. I wonder if that's still the case or if Randy being contracted to do another 4 fights for the UFC officially put the kabosh on a possible EA MMA game featuring Randy in a Madden type role.

Minsc

Gold Member
Shalashaska said:
Please no.

I wonder what the record for quickest to launch and slowest to launch are for a mainline FF game (in relation to the start of the each generation)?

I'd be surprised if FXIII didn't hold the record for slowest with this generation of consoles.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
How is it that last generation, Square was able to make 3 FF games (one of them being an entire MMORPG), and this time it's taking them an entire generation this time to just make one. So frustrating.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Wow, GI has lost all credibility, it seems to be competently money-hatted.

Some of those scores are way out of line.

Alone in the Dark PS3 as good as Persona 4. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

This is why GI only serves to be thrown in the trash.

DeadGzuz said:

A magazine owned by Gamestop having weird scores? Surely you jest, sire!

Minsc said:
I wonder what the record for quickest to launch and slowest to launch are for a mainline FF game (in relation to the start of the each generation)?

I'd be surprised if FXIII didn't hold the record for slowest with this generation of consoles.

I was about to bring up the PSX and FFVII, but even that was just 2 years (almost exactly, going by either JP or NA release dates).

I'm of the opinion that more time in dev is probably better. XII was in development like 4 years or something and still came out half-baked. I loved the game but the license board could have been done much better.

J-Rzez

Jtyettis said:

Wow. Just flat out wow if FFXIII doesn't hit until summer/holiday 2010. It better be the best game ever, not just RPG, at that point for it to carry my interest along that far.

Minsc said:

If it truly comes out holiday 2010 I believe that FF 7/8/9 were all released in a shorter amount of time than FF XIII will be since XII. =/

The Jer

Jtyettis said:
It's pretty good.
So, they're still doing character models of the band members. :(
Figured as much, but I still want an option to play without the venue/models.
Just a visualizer (e.g. Tool venue) or a black background or something would be great.

Any info on disc exports or use of DLC new game?

Any hardware changes or additions??

Guzim

Shalashaska said:
If it truly comes out holiday 2010 I believe that FF 7/8/9 were all released in a shorter amount of time than FF XIII will be since XII. =/
Yep. FF7 was released in 1997, 8 in 1999, and 9 in 2000.

Lightning

Banned
As long as FFXIII is good, I don't care how long the wait is. A rushed game sucks ass forever and mainline FF's are one of the VERY few JRPG's that can practically guarantee quality.

snatches

5 years. It is taking square 5 years into this gen of consoles to release FFXIII.

Nobody would have predicted 2010 at e306

FFChris

Getting pretty sick of hearing about Square-Enix new Final Fantasy. I mean, we already have a large thread about the game, and it's still two years away potentially. God knows when Europe will be getting it.

PS1 had 3 Final Fantasys, PS2 had 3/4 (depending if you count X-2) and at this rate we'll be getting two at what could be the very end of the generation. What happened to spacing your releases out? How come it's going to be, what, 3 years from annoucement to release? More?

Get your shit together SE.

Majmun

fps fanatic said:
Man, if I were a Final Fantasy fan, that wait would just be killing me right now. Jesus, why are they taking so long?

The Square during Ps1 days is no more... :'''''(

GI said:
oh boy. I'm excited.

Wollan

FFXIII is so late, might as well make sure they have a higher quality texture base so they can release a 1080p version as a launch title for next gen consoles.

Second said:
The Square during Ps1 days is no more... :'''''(
Well, it seems like the merger kind of hurt things.

I mean previously (I understand I may not be completely right here), the first production team at Squaresoft was mostly focused on Final Fantasy on SNES, then PS1, then PS2. They might occasionally have one project off to the side, but that was it. Ever since they merged with Enix, it seems like they've been having to do more projects than usual, and I don't believe the staff has increased. I remember when they announced Kingdom Hearts 2, Crisis Core: FFVII, FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus, FFVII: Advent Children, etc. way before release. I believe the size of the production team, can really only focus on two projects at once, but they were planning on 4-5. While FFXIII started development back in 2005 or 2006, they were finishing up a few games along with working on Crisis Core for PSP.

I personally think if the first production team was only focused on FFXIII and FF Versus XIII, they'd be able to get the game out sooner, but they also have staff working with FFVII Advent Children Blu-ray, FF Dissidia, I believe Kitase made a DS game not too long ago, and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if their staff was spread out too much.

As for the reviews, it seems like they didn't like P4 as much as the other reviewers. :(

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DeadGzuz said:

I'm not defending GI here, but this attitude needs to go. Reviews and scores never need to tow some kind of line.

neoism

Loose Talk:

darth_vader_nooo1.jpg

neoism said:
Loose Talk:

2010, I hope SQuare Enix does it at least in the Spring, that is so far away from now. Virtually nothing from them in next year then apart from maybe a PSP Star Ocean and maybe Last Remnant PS3.

!!!!

Also, what did they do for Fragile in this issue?

Xisiqomelir said:
What the hell is going on here

Wasn't there a post on this forum by someone working at GI that explained that they review games based on how they think GameStop customers will like them? There you have it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Honest question, not trying to piss off PS3/Square fans or anything:

Would FF coming out holiday 2010 in America end up being too late? Just judging by PS3 sales as they are right now, if they don't improve, wouldn't it be safe to assume the PS3 life cycle ends fairly early?

Would something like this be a huge disaster for Square? I know that's probably a large part of why they put in on 360, but I assume they put a lot into the PS3 version of this game financially.

Firestorm

Late 2010 for FFXIII would be bad. We'd probably have teasers for Xbox 720 games by that point... Maybe even PlayStation 4. Would really hurt the impact of the amazing visuals.

omg rite said:
Honest question, not trying to piss off PS3/Square fans or anything:

Would FF coming out holiday 2010 in America end up being too late? Just judging by PS3 sales as they are right now, if they don't improve, wouldn't it be safe to assume the PS3 life cycle ends fairly early?

Would something like this be a huge disaster for Square? I know that's probably a large part of why they put in on 360, but I assume they put a lot into the PS3 version of this game financially.
No, it wouldn't be too late. If anything, PS3 would probably be around $200-$300 by then (or some reasonable price). Sony will continue keep PS3 going and probably wouldn't release a new console until 2011 at the earliest. FFXII came out the same year PS3 did, and Xbox 360 was already out. FFIX came out the same year PS2 came out. While it kind of sucks there was no FF game released earlier, at least it should still make this generation. I kind of wonder when Versus XIII will be ready (I assume a similar time)?

ZeoVGM

Banned
I always assumed Versus would end up being like a year later. :\

And didn't IX and XII get kind of overlooked, compared to previous ones, because they were at the end of the gen?

I guess what annoys me the most is that we're only going to get one FF this gen. It's the first gen we won't get three FF games.

Top Bottom