• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer 194 (DJ Hero / Modern Warfare 2)

Captain N

Game Index

Aion
America's Army 3
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Bionic Commando
Boom Blox Bash Party
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Temples - Director's Cut
Brutal Legend
Cross Edge
Dante's Inferno
Demi God
Excitebots: Trick Racing
Fight Night Round 4
Final Fantasy XIII
Grand Slam Tennis
Guitar Hero Smash Hits
inFAMOUS
Klonoa
Knights in the Nightmare
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Muramasa The Demon Blade
Need for Speed Nitro
Need for Speed Shift
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Pangya: Fantasy Golf
Patapon 2
Prototype
Punch-Out!!
R.U.S.E.
Red Dead Redemption
Red Faction: Guerrila
Saboteur, The
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saw
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Spore: Galactic Adventures
UFC 2009
Virtua Tennis 2009
Wolfenstein
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I'll be posting loose talk and reviews first..I can also fill you in on any game you want to know about.

Loose Talk
------------------------------
The Future of Wii NCAA and NACAR
NCAA Football isn't appearing on the Wii this year, but EA SPORTS senior vice president Steve Chiang tells us that the series would "absolutely" be back on the system if they could come up with a way to present an experience that fit for the system.
As for a more sim-based NASCAR title coming back, Chiang wasn't as optimistic. "The answer isn't obvious right now," he admits. Chiang Says the series struggled with sales below the Need for Speed series, which is going through its own overhaul.

Netflix for all?
A job posting by movie rental service Netflix for 'developing and testing media rich applications on current generation gaming consoles." may indicate that the company is planning to offer its movie service to Playstation 3 and Wii owners. Sony currently has its own downloading service, and in the past the company stated that it was the reason the PS3 didn't have a partnership with Netflix. Netflix has perviously floated test balloons about its service and the PS3, so perhaps it is once again flirting with the idea.

New Warhawk?
they got a trademark for Starhawk...

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

DJ Hero
• Two-Player Competitive or Cooperative play is available either off or online, and there's even a bonus mode with the second player on guitar

The following are all confirmed mixes created exclusively for DJ Hero

• Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc." vs. Marvin Gaye "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"

• Chuck Brown & the Soul Searchers "Bustin' Loose" vs. The Zombies "Time of the Season" (DJ Shadow Mix)

• David Bowe "Let's Dance" vs. KRS-One "Jack of Spades" (DJ Shadow Mix)

• Nivrana "All Apologies" vs. Rick James "Give It To Me Baby" (DJ Shadow Mix)

• Jurassic 5 "Jayou" vs. Herbie Hancock "Rockit"

• Tears for Fears "Shout" vs. Eric Prydz

Other Confirmed Artists

• Beastie Boys

• Beck

• Blondie

• Billy Squire

Reviews
X-Men Origins: Wolverine 8 / SO 9
Bionic Commando 6.25 / SO 5
UFC 2009 Undisputed 8 / 8.25
Ninja Blade 7.5 / 8.25
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel 7.75 / 7
Game Of The Month inFAMOUS 9 / SO 8.5
Punch-Out!! 9 / SO 8.25
Boom Blox Bash Party 8.75 / SO 8.75
Excitebots: Trick Racing 8.5 / SO 8.25
Broken Sword (Wii) 7
Klonoa 7
PC Game Of The Month* DemiGod 8 / SO 8
Patapon 2 7 / SO 8.25
Knights in the Nightmare 7 / SO 6

*Only PC Game Reviewed

God you suck at making threads, stop making them until you got all the info then fucking post it, you wasted 12 seconds of my time jackass.

Is this the best our industry is capable of? Hero of Duty games?

At least take me back to the olden days when developers could only make beatemups, 2D shooters, and action-platformers. At least back then I had something I was interested in playing.

Rapping Granny said:
God you suck at making threads, stop making them until you got all the info then fucking post it, you wasted 12 seconds of my time jackass.

This is on point.

drkOne

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Is this the best our industry is capable of? Hero of Duty games?

Wait until 2010 when we'll start seeing 2 CoD games each year, that's why they're starting to call them Modern Warfare and World at War.

Captain N

drkOne said:
Wait until 2010 when we'll start seeing 2 CoD games each year, that's why they're starting to call them Modern Warfare and World at War.

you won't see World at War next year.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
All I recall from the issue off hand is that UFC 2009 got an 8 and 8.25 or something like that. They also dumped on another game or two that I was surprised about. I can't recall what it was at the moment though. It'll show up in the OP sooner or later.

Loudninja

Kintaro said:
All I recall from the issue off hand is that UFC 2009 got an 8 and 8.25 or something like that. They also dumped on another game or two that I was surprised about. I can't recall what it was at the moment though. It'll show up in the OP sooner or later.

Bionic Commando?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People really need to stop following these guys on twitter. Did anyone really expect a TRICO announcement or WiiHD or something?

Taker666

Haunted said:
GameInformer credibility in the gutter. Year defining my ass.

In fairness to Gameinformer... the year may end up being defined as dull and predictable.

If it is then they are on the money.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Haunted said:
GameInformer credibility in the gutter. Year defining my ass.
It might not be year defining to the hardcore nerds at GAF, but it's going to be one of the biggest games of the year. Besides, GI's credibility has always been in the gutter.

Captain N

Loudninja said:
Bionic Commando?

SO 5

Concept: Swing your way through this follow-up to the 1988 NES Classic

Graphics: An impressive array of background environments and fine details make the game look great

Sound: A strong musical score and consistent voice work

Playability: An extremely challenging and frequently clumsy control mechanic drastically hurts the experience

Entertainment: A fun idea, but too many things go in the execution

Replay Value: Moderately Low

Kintaro

Yeah, it was Bionic Commando (maybe something else as well).

Edit: No offense to Capcom, but this one never looked good to me. Go go Gut Feelings! (tm).

Loudninja

Captain N said:

SO 5

Concept: Swing your way through this follow-up to the 1988 NES Classic

Graphics: An impressive array of background environments and fine details make the game look great

Sound: A strong musical score and consistent voice work

Playability: An extremely challenging and frequently clumsy control mechanic drastically hurts the experience

Entertainment: A fun idea, but too many things go in the execution

Replay Value: Moderately Low

Seems the controls were the biggest problem.

Hemmdog

It seems my "year defining" twitter got a lot of people pretty hyped. But before we spam that phrase on everything related to Game Informer from now to eternity, perhaps people might want to sit down with MW2 in front of them and actually play it.

Infinity Ward did an amazing job, and for me personally...which is why I tweeted, the game is absolutely stunning. I'm a fan. What can I say?

Let the year end, and we will see how many people are playing MW2. Either way, it's my opinion and I stand by it.

Cheers,

Andy

DoomGyver

Hemmdog said:
It seems my "year defining" twitter got a lot of people pretty hyped. But before we spam that phrase on everything related to Game Informer from now to eternity, perhaps people might want to sit down with MW2 in front of them and actually play it.

Infinity Ward did an amazing job, and for me personally...which is why I tweeted, the game is absolutely stunning. I'm a fan. What can I say?

Let the year end, and we will see how many people are playing MW2. Either way, it's my opinion and I stand by it.

Cheers,

Andy
Year defined, confirmed.

billy.sea

Banned
FlashbladeGAF said:
I hope they spent the time to try and learn the arm mechanic instead of rushing thru the game just to put up a score.

If a game is not big enough, game media will not waste time to 'learn' the mechanic. They will just use what they have been used to as a standard to rate the game.
If a game is hyped with big marketing, then they will put time to learn and defend the game, and turn flaw into something positive.

Of course, I have not played the retail version of BC, so I am not gonna say they are wrong here.

Cruzader

Banned
Hemmdog said:

Cheers,

Andy
So wait the 'year defining' stuff was about MW2?

I think we need to determine the rules of the Ban Bet here - Captain N, by saying there won't be a World at War, do you mean that the next Treyarch game won't be going back to WWII, that the next Treyarch CoD won't be called CoD:WaW2, or that there won't be another Treyarch game?

Kintaro

Hemmdog said:

It's all good, but a sequel we all knew was coming is nothing year defining. That's like calling Madden 10 year defining. I'm sure it'll be good fun and the CoD heads will love it, but you have to watch your hyperbole. =x

Captain N

I AM JOHN! said:
I think we need to determine the rules of the Ban Bet here - Captain N, by saying there won't be a World at War, do you mean that the next Treyarch game won't be going back to WWII, that the next Treyarch CoD won't be called CoD:WaW2, or that there won't be another Treyarch game?

Treyarchs 2010 Call of Duty game won't be called World at War 2.

RJT

Captain N said:
• Gorillaz "Feel Good Inc." vs. Marvin Gaye "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"

• David Bowe "Let's Dance" vs. KRS-One "Jack of Spades" (DJ Shadow Mix)

• Jurassic 5 "Jayou" vs. Herbie Hancock "Rockit"
Ok, so this game might actually be good? I'm surprised.

Top Bottom