• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer #198 Crackdown 2 cover, GOTM NHL 10

Smokey

Unfortunately I'm in a hurry and don't have the time to provide any details on Crackdown 2, but it does LOOK pretty damn good. Here is a little bit from the issue:

Loose Talk:

-Bioshock 2 having development issues? Signed Frech studio Arkane Studios to help w/ game, bringing the total of studios working on the title to 4. Team also turned to Ken Levine for help on the game, which may not be such a good thing this late in development

Goes on to say "what's more unfortunate, that they had to go back and ask Levine for his help at this stage...or that he wouldn't do it?

-Beyond Good & Evil 2 on indefinte hold.

-Ability to use more than one Wii Fit board for multiplayer coming soon?

Previews:

Crackdown 2
Enslaved
Assasin's Creed II
GTA IV: Ballad of Gay Tony
Modnation Racers
Mafia II
Final Fantasy CC: The Crystal Bearers
A boy and his Blob
DJ Hero
EyePet
FFXIII
Resonance of Fate
Magnacarta 2
WWE Smackdown v Raw 2010
Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines
Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising
RE: The Darkside Chronicles
Tornado Outbreak
Dragon Age Origins

Reviews:

NFS Shift (8, 8.5)
Wolfenstein (7.25, 7)
Dirt 2 (8.5, 8.5)
GH 5 (8.5, 8.5)
NHL 2K10 (5.5)
Heroes Over Europe (6.5)
Wet (7.5,7.5)
Section 8 (6.5, 6)
NHL 10 (9.25, 9) - GOTM
Muramasa (7.75, 7)
Metroid Prime Trilogy (9, 7)
Dead Space: Extraction (7, 8.75)
Scribblenauts (8.75, 7.75) -uh oh?
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (8.75, 8.75) - HGOTM
Kingdown Hearts 358/2 Days (8, 8)
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (8.25, 8)
Persona PSP (8, 8)
Soul Calibur PSP (7.5, 8)

GeoramA

Jtyettis said:
Man, really hope they do not mess up Bioshock 2. Ken L. to the rescue.
I've got a bad feeling about this. Either a delay further into next year or a disappointing rushjob if it releases in time.

GeoramA said:
I've got a bad feeling about this. Either a delay further into next year or a disappointing rushjob if it releases in time.

Didn't they announce recently that they'd delayed it again (this time the the second quarter of 2010)?

PnCIa

Jtyettis said:
I thought Ken essentially *was* what made Bioshock. Not sure how they want to make it without him.

RBH

Crackdown 2 info (for those who might have missed it):

-Dynamic Civilian Events (Example: A man trying to sell something in the day, getting marauded in the night. And the Agency will put up signs saying "play dead when you see an Infected". Lulz ensue.)

-Support Points are gone, Agents can now call in for ammo and supplies anytime and anywhere.

-The game looks much more detailed and grittier, but still keeps the "cartoony" look we all love so very much.

-Vehicles like Trucks or Buses have room for a mounted turret, which makes them great for getting around in Co-Op.

-More variations in weapons, meaning people have more to choose from than just the homing rocket launcher.

-Most of the civilian cars in the game are the same, but reskinned and armed with armor and weapons to survive in the new hazards of city life.

-The Cell (a gang) is composed of ordinary citizens just wanting to reclaim the city from your team (the good guys). You take them out, and reclaim their turn for the Agency.

-More instances where Co-Op play is prudent.

-The city hasn't changed in architect, all the roads are the same. Some buildings have been demolished and other small things, but over all it's the same city.

-You'll obtain skill orbs by using abilities relevant to your character.

-Four player Co-Op

-16 player Competitive Multiplayer. Tons of fun. Players collect special weapons, bonuses, and gadgets. Progression system like CoD4.

-Melee attacks are much more varied a fluid.

-Key to the City DLC is a go!

-The freaks evolve over time, making them MUCH more fearsome as the game progresses.

-All repetitiveness is completely removed. And less shitty boss battles.

-Doing missions in the day or night has a huge effect. At night, the freaks come out to play.

-City decays over time from the infection.

-New Agency helicopter and other vehicles. All old Agency vehicles returning.

-A lot more weapon variety. New powerful shotgun, Rail Gun, and sticky grenades.

-More precise targeting system. Skill is rewarded.

-Much more defining detail in all aspects of the game.

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/new-crackdown-2-info-in-latest/915248

IGN preview of Crackdown 2:

As the teaser trailer suggested, The city that you first cleared of organized gangs has succumbed to a nasty viral outbreak, causing ordinary citizens to turn bloodthirsty. Not even the shadowy Agency could control it, and so sections of the idealistic metropolis have been abandoned to riots and revolt. For the sequel, you'll return to Pacific City, but it won't be the same place you got to know during the first go around. Familiar sites will be present, but many will be in disarray and shambles, while new buildings have sprung up amidst the chaos.

How did all of this happen? Creative Director Billy Thomson is quoted by GameInformer as saying "One of the Shai-Gen missions actually had a research lab that hid all of these freaks inside of it." That's right. Your actions caused the outbreak. The Agency was driven back to control only its hulking tower while a group called the Cell filled the power void. This underground group is described as one that exists on the fringes, piecing together rubble into safe houses while fighting back at the maniacs.

The Agency wasn't destroyed, however, and it's at this low point that you'll step in. Or rather, it is at this point that you and three friends will step in for a little four-player co-op. The game is described as being designed around this concept.

Crackdown 2 once more follows the central goal of cleansing the city, but the repetition is said to be less prevalent. Ruffian told GameInformer, "Your influence in the world has effects across the rest of the city." And your influence will be made apparent through a more varied set of missions. You'll even head underground to tackle the infected as they hide from the light. And once night hits, you can expect the entire city to be a nightmare.

The same five skills that could be leveled up in Crackdown make a return, though each offers new abilities this time. The agility skill is said to offer a dash move, while driving can unlock a special helicopter. Depending upon who you're fighting, you might wish you had specific talents. GameInformer reports that the Cell will come at you like your typical gang from Mad Max: rough around the edges and loaded with weapons. The zombie-esque freaks, meanwhile, will naturally use their numbers to the best of their ability. Thomson is quoted as saying that, "The top level freaks are almost on par with the player-controlled agent."

To deal with these new challenges, new weapons will naturally make an appearance. GameInformer describes a few of these, such as a UV Shotgun that blasts the infected with light, a better sniper rifle, and the "mag" grenade that will stick whatever it hits to another "mag." These magnetic weapons also are said to work on cars, enabling players to do wacky things with them.

GameInformer also got a try at the competitive multiplayer mode being made for Crackdown 2. 16 players will join up online to battle, using a new and more skill-based aiming mechanic. Powerups, gadgets and weapons are strewn about waiting for any intrepid player to grab them and use them against other chumps.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1023255p1.html

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Jtyettis said:

He isn't involved in Bioshock 2 though, is he?

EDIT: Oh, I totally missed that part in the OP. So yeah, they're asking him for help then.

I started worrying about Bioshock 2 when I heard that there were several teams on the job, each handling different aspects of SP/MP.

I want to believe.... :(

StuBurns

Banned
Smokey said:
-Bioshock 2 having development issues? Team turned to Ken Levine for help on the game, which may not be such a good thing this late in development.
Is that a statement or a question?

For some reason, even though BioShock was certainly among my favorite games ever, I'm not excited about Bio2 at all. If Ken is going to get on board maybe I'll be more attracted to it, but unless this means they're delaying it for another 12+ months so anything he actually suggestions can be implemented, it won't affect the design that much. If this is even true.

Smokey

Added some more Bioshock 2 details to the OP, most important being:

Goes on to say "what's more unfortunate, that they had to go back and ask Levine for his help at this stage...or that he wouldn't do it?

damn

:(

Wow! Crackdown 2 is going to be GotF! Adding turrets to vehicles sounds like to is going to make co-op even better. I hope my issue gets here soon.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
stuburns said:
Is that a statement or a question?

For some reason, even though BioShock was certainly among my favorite games ever, I'm not excited about Bio2 at all. If Ken is going to get on board maybe I'll be more attracted to it, but unless this means they're delaying it for another 12+ months so anything he actually suggestions can be implemented, it won't affect the design that much. If this is even true.

Honestly, I think there are lots of improvements that could be made as far as Bioshock goes. I don't know how far away they'll stray from the original, but fixing a lot of the issues and adding story and such could at least make it a good game. Admittedly though, the sentence in the OP doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence if it is refering to the quality of the game itself.

Smokey

stuburns said:
Well apparently his current project is even bigger than BioShock was, he has his hands full, and lives a very long way away from Marin.

But the way it's stated makes it seem like Levine is saying "fuck you guys, this game is gonna suck I'm not wasting my time "

Smokey said:
Added some more Bioshock 2 details to the OP, most important being:

damn

:(

I wouldn't really think that'd have anything to do with the games quality. He seemed to think that there only needed to be one game and he left it at that. So he doesn't wanted to be involved in anything going forward with the series.

StuBurns

Banned
Smokey said:
But the way it's stated makes it seem like Levine is saying "fuck you guys, this game is gonna suck I'm not wasting my time "
It's unfortunate if true, and it's disappointing if he's just pissed at the sequel even taking place. Considering the reason he's a name in the industry is because he took on a sequel and crafted a masterpiece. I'd expect him to have quite a lot of compassion towards Marin's situation.

We'll see, if the team aren't capable of producing a great game, I'm not going to consider Levine in any way responsible.

EXGN

Smokey said:
-Bioshock 2 having development issues? Signed Frech studio Arkane Studios to help w/ game, bringing the total of studios working on the title to 4. Team also turned to Ken Levine for help on the game, which may not be such a good thing this late in development

I'm confused at the last statement. You mean they asked him to take over the project?

4 player co-op Crackdown 2 seems like it couldn't go wrong. I had tons of fun with Crackdown in 2 player co-op and always though that adding an extra friend or two would be great.

Hopefully Ruffian can nail it.

It's been known for a while that Arkane is helping with Bioshock 2. I am curious to know what has caused them to bring them on though. The Bioshock novel sounds like it is going to release in February 2010, so I would expect the game to come shortly afterword. Also, Ken Levine has been consulting on Bioshock 2 since the beginning, so I am not sure what they are getting at with that part of the rumor.

-Edit i guess he could be coming on in a larger capacity, which isn't something to worry about I would think.

You'll obtain skill orbs by using abilities relevant to your character.

This has me a bit worried. I hope there are still going to be skill and hidden orbs through out the city for you to find. That was the best part of the first game.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is Bioshock 2 really that big?
I kind of can't wait to see it.. Just put it out next winter though.

soldat7

yankeehater said:

This has me a bit worried. I hope there are still going to be skill and hidden orbs through out the city for you to find. That was the best part of the first game.

Agility orbs are still in. I don't think they've said anything about hidden orbs yet.

There's supposed to be an interview with Ruffian up on gameinformer.com, but it's not there yet.

szaromir

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Crackdown is fucking serious!
Funny though that the early Crackdown 1.5 rumours came true yet I still want this game. But honestly, it's a shame we'll have had to wait over 3 years for this kind of sequel.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
yankeehater said:

This was in the first game.

billy.sea

Banned
I am excited for Crackdown 2 (haven't play the first one) because it is said to have zombies in it. (love zombies game)

Keikoku

Banned
szaromir said:
Funny though that the early Crackdown 1.5 rumours came true yet I still want this game. But honestly, it's a shame we'll have had to wait over 3 years for this kind of sequel.

wut

Top Bottom