• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer 218 details (Assassin's Creed, Rayman Origins)

Lijik

People are complaining about the difficulty being toned down from Rayman 1?
Are you kidding me? Theres some real fucking bullshit in that game and I love hard games.

Finding every cage without a guide is a quest for fools and complete masochists.

You know, eagles aren't particularly well known for their sense. Their well known for their sight.

That's why it's called Eagle Vision.

They should probably, like, change the name.

Squire

Banned
BobTheFork said:
I was pretty into the story after AC2 and after brotherhood I don't think I care anymore. I just don't want them to water down the narrative or completely change direction again. It's an outstanding game otherwise and I'm looking forward to the co-op elements.

I haven't played Brotherhood and I didn't think AC2 was very narratively interesting until the ending, but it sounds more like they're trying to make the plot richer rather than dilute it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Survey said:
Would you like to see ____ in the sequel to the ASSASSIN"S CREED: BROTHERHOOD?

1) An upgrade to the assassin's blade that increases the fluidity and speed of free-running

2) An enhanced Eagle Vision: see the patrol paths of guards, spot clues to complex navigation puzzles, detect when characters are lying during interrogations, etc.

3) An intuitive crafting tool that lets you create custom bombs from dozens of ingredients found throughout the game world

4) Tactical use of a variety of bombs suited to unique contexts and situations (smoke, poison, flash, explosive, etc.)

5) An additional objective where you and your Assassins guild fight against the Templars to gain control of a city, district by district
[I assume this is the den system]

6) Playing as a new Assassin, in a different historical time period

7) A continuation of Ezio's story as the leader of the Assassins, set outside of Italy

8) Deeper connectivity between all the Assassin's Creed projects (eg. an action you make on the Facebook game will impact your game experience on the console; events that you read about in the comics will be related to the storyline of the videogames, etc.)

9) Online Cooperative Mode

10) Offline Cooperative Mode

11) The availability of new maps for the Multiplayer

12) A choice of additional Multiplayer characters with new skill-sets

13) Playing new Multiplayer modes

14) A deeper team-based Multiplayer experience (guilds / squads that have common objectives, new tools for clan management, etc.)

15) A customization of the Multiplayer experience (logos, avatars, objects, team names, etc.
)
Given that 8 is astoundingly likely, it looks like the only thing they didn't put in was co-op.

Shiggy seems to be indeed speaking the truth, as my local GameStop not only shows Rayman Origins on Wii, but DS as well!

Release Date - Description - System - Price - SKU

11/02/11 - RAYMAN ORIGINS WI - WII - 39.99 - 7026099
11/02/11 - RAYMAN ORIGINS DS - DS - 34.99 - 7026115

Hero of Legend said:
Shiggy seems to be indeed speaking the truth, as my local GameStop not only shows Rayman Origins on Wii, but DS as well!
DS as in original DS? Why on earth would they release it on the original DS instead of the 3DS?

Einbroch

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Assassin's Creed: Revelations

- Multiplayer is returning but this time they're trying to give more focus to the narrative since that's a big part of AC
- You'll be able to custom your character appearance and weapons as well as create guilds.
Aaaaaand...day one.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Its like....ass creed is getting milked like a violated cow and yet it is still managing to be fantastic.

I guess i approve!

SykoTech

Hero of Legend said:

Really iffy about that since it lists DS instead of 3DS. But if the game is truly going to be $40 on consoles, then Day 1 confirmed.

Dany

Banned
soldat7 said:
Are they planning on an AC3 at all?

It's 2012 the year after.

If anything, the B team has been making Brotherhood and Revelations so AC3 won't resemble them to the slightest.

Is it wrong for me to expect the same changes between the first and second game between the second and third?

jett

D-Member
Dany M said:
It's 2012 the year after.

If anything, the B team has been making Brotherhood and Revelations so AC3 won't resemble them to the slightest.

Is it wrong for me to expect the same changes between the first and second game between the second and third?

There is no A or B team.

jett said:
There is no A or B team.

Technically, there is an A-Team

a-team.jpg

Though seriously, I don't think Ubi has all 400-something employees working just on Revelations... I'm sure that the work on the different games is divvied up a little.

At least I hope it is.

KingJ2002

great stuff...

as for BGE 2... im 100 percent sure... the game is coming out for the next gen... best way to re-introduce the franchise.

DaBuddaDa

Don't be so sure that in 2012 we'll see AC3. Recently the lead art director for the entire franchise has implied that the graphical design and location of AC3 hasn't even been decided yet, which doesn't bode well for the quick release of a game that's theoretically only 18 months away.

If the Altair sections take place in the same city, it will be interesting to go from the Byzantine Christian 12th century city, the Rome of it's day, to the Ottoman capital of the 16th Century. I love history, which is one of the reasons I enjoy the AC series.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Though seriously, I don't think Ubi has all 400-something employees working just on Revelations... I'm sure that the work on the different games is divvied up a little.

At least I hope it is.

About five different Ubisoft teams worked on AC:B in some form, which I guess is one of the reasons Ubisoft are able to get big-budget games out the door relatively quickly.

Aru

Even as great games as they are, yearly AC games is a bad idea Ubi.
It will fall as low as PoP someday, I'm sure of it.

whatevermort said:
I hope that the city upgrading/cleaning up bit actually has a purpose in this game. It did nothing in Brotherhood. I wanted to, say, fix the aquaeducts, and that gave the people in one area water and lifted their spirits and they made me some armour (or something) - just a direct effect of my actions on the gameworld and my character.

What irritated me the most about that system was how you would get 500 gold every twenty minutes from a blacksmith but buying THE FUCKING COLLISEUM was like 50. Gee, thanks. That sure feels worth the 30k I jusy spent, thanks.

szaromir

Banned
Aru said:
Even as great games as they are, yearly AC games is a bad idea Ubi.
It will fall as low as PoP someday, I'm sure of it.
PoP went down the shitter immediately, AC so far is on the rise.

jett

D-Member
I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to the Altair sections in this game. The Altair dream in AC2 looked SO POOR compared to AC1. I wished the series went back to the more realistic style of the first game.

Shiggy said:
Haven't heard of a DS version hmm

More than likely you heard of the Wii version from someone who worked on the HD versions, while the DS version is merely a related game and not a port by a different Ubisoft division.

Pooya

I actually read the press release today, lol and there are somethings that I think have not been mentioned here.

Developed and led by Ubisoft Montreal with the support and expertise of Ubisoft studios Annecy, Massive Entertainment, Quebec, Singapore and Bucharest

This is from Brotherhood announcement PR
Ubisoft Montreal Studio in collaboration with Ubisoft studios in Singapore, Bucharest, Québec City and Annecy (known for developing Splinter Cell Chaos Theory’s Multiplayer).

Massive is new (World in Conflict, Ground Control dev)... wonder what they'll bring into the series...
they were recruiting back in Dec for this (looks like multiplayer related to me)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416754

and this
Assassin’s Creed® games have sold more than 28 million units worldwide,
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41989/Brotherhood-makes-a-killing-in-Europe
It was 20m in Novemeber, that puts Brotherhood at <~8m shipped (all of that 8m isn't Brotherhood obviously), we will get better number this Thursday probably (they said 6.5m 3 months ago http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421701)

----------------------
also

somebody from ubi forum has a pretty good 'theory' I think about the Black Room mentioned in GI, subject 16 says
"find me in darkness"
in Brotherhood...
rest of it isn't any good though..

Shiggy

Hero of Legend said:
More than likely you heard of the Wii version from someone who worked on the HD versions, while the DS version is merely a related game and not a port by a different Ubisoft division.

I cannot see them releasing a Rayman Origins games on DS when they already changed Rabbids Travel in Time from a DS game with 3DS support to a 3DS-only title.

Some more AC:R details...

THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS SO DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED BROTHERHOOD

First, this is not AC3, it's sort of an expansion like Brotherhood was. This game is supposed to clear up all the questions thusfar and bring a closing to the stories of "current characters".

The game takes place in Constantinople at the beginning of the 16th century. The city is ripe with Templar activity and they fiercely battle the Ottoman. The city is said to be bigger and more populated than Rome, and will be split up into 4 large districts.

You will once again be in the shoes of Ezio, who is now in his 50s. The game starts with Ezio going to Masyaf, the home of Altair in AC1, to look for information on Altair and the Creed. Ezio discovers that Masyaf has been overrun by Templars and after doing some investigating he learns of an extremely powerful artifact hidden inside of Masyaf. To get to it, he must find 5 ancient seals in order to gain access to it, however the Templars are also going after it.

Ezio will make new friends, such as Suleiman, Yusuf Azim who is also a master assassin, and Sofia Sorto who makes Ezio question what his life would be like if he had never had to become an assassin.

The Seals that Ezio seeks will also give you a glimpse of Altair's life and you will get a chance to play as Altair during these small sessions.

Ezio will of course have an all new arsenal, but two of the main things are the new Hookblade, which will be attached to the hidden blade and allow Ezio to climb faster, grab enemies, ride on zip lines, and be 150% more badass. It's basically just a small blade with a curved end.

The other new feature is Bomb Making. You will be able to craft over 300 different types of bombs from flash and smoke bombs to explosive and even bombs that drop caltrops to stop chasers.

Eagle vision will also be much more advanced, you will be able to see where somebody, for instance a guard, has recently been or soon will be so you can lay traps in advance.

Borgia Towers will return but will be much more advanced and offer more variety. Assassins will be more in-depth and you can even get missions from them as well as lose control of a "Den" you have previously taken over.

There will be random missions, such as a merchant being robbed or a woman being assaulted that you can choose to do something about or just leave alone.

The game is using Mocam which is the same technology being used by L.A. Noire

The cinematic camera is also being changed.

Desmond is in a coma from the end of Brotherhood, and the two assassins who find him put him back into an animus, as such he is basically trapped inside his own mind. Players will play as Desmond as he tries to reconstruct his mind and wake back up. Through doing this, players will also get a look into Desmond's past life. Desmond is basically looking for a "nexus" of where him, Ezio, and Altair all come together and why they do.

Finally, multiplayer will return but they promise it will be much better. Multiplayer will now be more story-driven to allow players to get a more in-depth view of the Templars and what they stand for. There is a new gamemode that will involve mutliplayer story quests. There will be more customization and more characters as well.

SolidSnakex said:
Assassin's Creed: Revelations

- Ezio is looking for seals in Revelations. These seals hold the memories of Alair. They'll allow Ezio to peek into Altair's life (just as Desmond uses Animus to peek into his ancestors lives).
- You'll control Altair through these sequences.
- The bulk of the game is set in Constantinople which will be split into 4 huge districts (Constantin, Beyazid, Imperial and Galata)
- You'll also visit Cappadocia
- Ezio is over 50 years old in this game
- Ezio has a new item called the hookblade which allows him to use ziplines throughout the city. UBI says that it speeds up navigation by about 30%
- You can also use the hookblade to reach out and pull enemies in for a combo
- Ezio can now make bombs through a crafting system. UBI says that there are over 300 bomb types
- They've modified the control scheme so that circle/B will control the hookblade and triangle/Y will control project weapons and bombs
- Eagles vision has become eagle sense. "Eagle sense let's you focus on a character and see where he's been," Amancio says. "You'll get an approximation of where he will go. If you're able to detect the path a guard will take, you can run ahead, set a bomb, and create a trap or an ambush."
- They've expanded on the Borgia Towers concept in order to create a new system. Throughout the city there are Assassin's Den's, you'll need to complete various assault scenarios in order take down the Templar presence (UBI says that there's more variety than in the Borgia Towers). Once you obtain a den you'll be able to upgrade the buildings in that region along with adding ziplines across the rooftops. You'll also be able to change the guards from being hostile to neutral.
- You can lose control of you dens as you gain notoriety. You'll be able to send your own troops after the templars if you're unable to make it back to the specific den that's being attacked. You can do that by making it to any of the other dens that you currently control. You'll also be able to install a master assassin to control a specific den and you'll never have to worry about it being taken over.
- The assassin leveling mechanic has been increased from 10 to 15
- In order to make the world more immersive they've done away with traditional side missions in favor of random events. For example you may be traveling through a city and notice a shop owner being robbed or a little girl asking for help
- They're using a new type of capture facial technology called Mocam that GI describes as an "intriguing amalgamation of traditional animation, performance capture and the fascinating new style of performance on display in games like LA Noire."
- Desmond is placed back inside Animus where he finds a safe mode called the 'Black Room'. You'll be able to access Desmond's lost memories through that back door
- The gameplay during Desmond's game is described as narrative-fueled puzzle sequences. "Through the manipulation and creation of geometry with the game world, Desmond seeks to reintegrate the splintered layers of his subconscious."
- Multiplayer is returning but this time they're trying to give more focus to the narrative since that's a big part of AC
- You'll be able to custom your character appearance and weapons as well as create guilds.

I want it.

I want it in me.

Cram it into my eye and ear holes.

jett

D-Member
Ezio will make new friends, such as Suleiman, Yusuf Azim who is also a master assassin, and Sofia Sorto who makes Ezio question what his life would be like if he had never had to become an assassin.

Bet ACR ends with Ezio and this woman conceiving Desmond's next ancestor in line. When I played AC2 I thought the female thief was gonna be that character, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the original idea and was suddenly changed when Ubisoft saw the chance for further milkage. She kind of disappears from the game after a pretty strong introduction.

Overall the info released on ACR sounds pretty good.

GrayFoxPL

Lijik said:
People are complaining about the difficulty being toned down from Rayman 1?
Are you kidding me? Theres some real fucking bullshit in that game and I love hard games.

Finding every cage without a guide is a quest for fools and complete masochists.

I fully agree. That game is pissing me off. It's like a beautiful girl that greets you with open arms and when you run up to hug her she kicks you in the balls then stomps your throat with high heels and finally spits on your face before calling you a pencil dick.

The game takes place in Constantinople at the beginning of the 16th century. The city is ripe with Templar activity and they fiercely battle the Ottoman. The city is said to be bigger and more populated than Rome, and will be split up into 4 large districts.
Ottomans vs Templars.

lol. Templars have always been on the losing side of history. Wonder how they were able to make it to the 21st century without becoming extinct.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm only interested in that Operation Flashpoint score. 6?! I thought they were improving the game :mad:

Tawpgun

Speedymanic said:
Some more AC:R details...

THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS SO DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED BROTHERHOOD

Mother of God. Day 1 so hard.

Also, good call on AC3 being released in 2012 because that's an important date in the AC story.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Mother of God. Day 1 so hard.

Also, good call on AC3 being released in 2012 because that's an important date in the AC story.

Me too. AssBro was one of those games that I didn't regret getting on Day 1 instead of my usual method of waiting a few weeks for a $20 price drop. I am impressed with how well Ubi has handled the quality of the game vs just being yet another cash cow series.

OP should mention that Gameinformer says that Rocksmith is better at teaching guitar than Rock Band 3.

"Ultimately seems more intuitive and exact than Pro Mode in Rock Band 3"

CamHostage

Hero of Legend said:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00503NBL2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Wii version of Rayman Origins essentially confirmed.

No portable versions listed yet on Amazon, but GameStop stores apparently had a listing in its brick-and-mortal database (not online.) That doesn't mean confirmation since the way they handle pre-orders is a bit different from Amazon (the Amazon art also looks like it was handed to them, although both companies do their own boxes from art sometimes as well,) but still of interest.

Jeuxvideo scans of Rayman Origins are doing the rounds and I have to say it looks pretty damn good.

The mag confirms the game is offline MP only.

* Mutiplayer but not online
* Levels: a luxuriant jungle, a musical world, zones inspired from the Mexican Day of the Dead, places with heavy rain and others with lava
* Gameplay: swimming, riding a mosquito while shooting
* Plot: may explain how Mr Dark became what he is, where the Teensies come from, how the Electoons were captured, who the Bubble Dreamer, aka Polokus, actually is, how the universe it created reached a crisis and how Rayman will save it

Top Bottom