• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer April cover: Mad Max

264_2D00_cover_2D00_reveal_2D00_spread.jpg

Mad Max has left an immeasurable footprint on video games – and pop culture in general. He hasn’t officially appeared in a game since an NES title released 25 years ago, but game developers have drawn inspiration from his dystopian, post-apocalyptic universe for decades. Avalanche Studios, developer of the Just Cause series, is tackling his gaming comeback. We visited their office in Stockholm, Sweden, to learn how the team’s expertise in creating open-world mayhem is a natural fit for creating the most fully realized Wasteland yet.

Much has changed since the game was announced at E3 a few years ago. Most notably, the studio has decided to leave the planned Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions by the wayside. That move has allowed the team to deliver stunning vistas and effects that will challenge your expectations of what the Wasteland might look like. In short, it’s definitely not a bland, endless stretch of sand. We got an extended demo and several hours of hands-on time; our 12-page cover story has in-depth impressions of what we saw and played, plus a look at the car combat, story, and characters that play pivotal roles in the game.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I loved JC2. Played the hell out of it modded. Buuuttt, the driving, in that game is horrible. Very loose controls that just don't feel very responsive. Thankfully the parachute(or superman mod) were all you really needed to cause hell and have fun. I really really hope the driving is nothing like JC2.

salromano

Release date is September 4 btw in Europe. Guess that's Sept. 1 - MGSV day - in the US.

Mad MaxTM – Pre-order Bonus, Box Art & Ship Date Revealed

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today revealed new pre-order bonus details for Mad Max™. All those who pre-order Mad Max™ will receive an additional Magnum Opus car body called “The Ripper,” which packs a powerful V8 engine, upgraded exhaust with custom off-road tires, a ramming grill and a tuned suspension so it can take on a variety of Wasteland surfaces. Also revealed today was box art for the game.

Download an image of the “The Ripper” and Box Art for Mad Max™ on the WB Games UK press site.

Mad Max™ is set to launch 4th September in the UK for PlayStation®4, Xbox One, PC and SteamOS.

Mad Max™ delivers open world gameplay in a post-apocalyptic setting where cars are the key to survival. Developed by Avalanche Studios, gamers become Mad Max, a lone warrior who must fight to stay alive in The Wasteland, using vicious on-ground and vehicular combat against savage bandits. Following the theft of his iconic Interceptor, Max must align himself with a gifted, but peculiar, mechanic named Chumbucket and others to build the ultimate war vehicle as he works to escape from the dangerous Wasteland. For more information visit MadMaxGame.com.

eFKac

Avalanche seems to be heavily channeling Naughty Dog, the first pics of the Just Cause guy looked totally like Nathan Drake, now I see Joel in the car lol :-D

Apathy

I'm going to wait to see some actual gameplay of this before I start wanting it. Mad Max is such a weird IP to bring back. Were people really clamoring for a Mad Max game?

Bizzquik

I keep hoping that we'll get a huge reveal out of GameInformer prior to E3.

I waited through their generic Sci-Fi games issue, their Tomb Raider no-new-news issue, and now their 'hey Mad Max is still a thing' issue.

...Maybe there won't be a big reveal in 2015's Q1 or Q2....

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Omg even the hand-picked concept art is generic as fuck.

This game will be sooooo bad.

DieH@rd

Banned
They ditched the old-gen! Sweet!

I'm not expect miracles [this will be crossgen game in its core because of its long development schedule], but hopefully game now has the chance to push more enemies on screen and stuff.

They are already dead.

What a terrible release date choice. It's gonna get pushed.

I don't know... Metal Gear Solid 4 was 7 years ago. Maybe I'm wrong but as far as I know Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes didn't exactly tear up the charts. There's a whole generation of mainstream players by now for whom Metal Gear Solid is just another game series, not some be-all end-all that other series have to move out of the way for. I'm sure MGS5 will be a success but I think maybe some people on GAF overstate how big it really is.

Kool, i'm hoping there are actually things to do in the world other than story missions interspersed with driving on an empty dessert.

Bl@de

Releasing on SteamOS :O? Is it finally happening? Linux games from big publishers? On the same day? Awesome. Hope developers more follow.

Didn't see that coming, here's hoping the do a good job of it. I've loved Mad Max since my childhood. Was actually looking over my E3 amazon pre-orders the other day and was surprised for a sec that it was on there, I had kind of forgotten about that trailer.

I don't know... Metal Gear Solid 4 was 7 years ago. Maybe I'm wrong but as far as I know Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes didn't exactly tear up the charts. There's a whole generation of mainstream players by now for whom Metal Gear Solid is just another game series, not some be-all end-all that other series have to move out of the way for. I'm sure MGS5 will be a success but I think maybe some people on GAF overstate how big it really is.

You will witness the video game sales version of this:

Z1TTYSR.gif

Flipyap

That Max don't look like Hardy or Mel. Is this non-canon or something?
Based on "we wanted to make our version of Mad Max" and "we've put a lot of work into resetting what the Mad Max universe is", it sounds like they're just using the Mad Max license to make yet another game about a bland dude who murders anyone for fun and to pimp out his post-apocalyptic clown car.
The goofy engine mod on the cover makes the car look like something an insane gang member would drive in the movies, a character who would probably make more sense as a protagonist of a video game like this.

Top Bottom