• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer April Cover: Saints Row: The Third

zoner said:
The competitive multiplayer? That crap was garbage, why would you be surprised.

Co-op was great though.

No multiplayer was the most encouraging thing in the entire preview. Drop the crap that doesn't work, improve on what does.

GeoramA

BobJustBob said:
No multiplayer was the most encouraging thing in the entire preview. Drop the crap that doesn't work, improve on what does.
Seriously, not every fucking game needs it. Especially in this genre. San Andreas (when it released) and Just Cause 2 had no multiplayer whatsoever and they're my 2 favorite open-world games of all-time.

Everything sounds great except for the co-op player count. I was hoping for 4 at least. I mean, I'm "ok" with 2, but 4 player co-op would be amazing. Look what it did for Crackdown 2, and that game wasn't even half as good as SR3 will probably turn out.

MMaRsu

Banned
GeoramA said:
Seriously, not every fucking game needs it. Especially in this genre. San Andreas (when it released) and Just Cause 2 had no multiplayer whatsoever and they're my 2 favorite open-world games of all-time.

True, but Saints Row 1 had a pretty great MP.

MidnightCowboy said:
Vice Kings will always remain the greatest gang.

You mean
the
Los Carnales.

The article worries me slightly with all the talk about the story. They should have said somewhere "Don't worry, we're not going to GTA4 you. You can still ignore the story and do all the side activities as soon as you finish the tutorial."

BobJustBob said:
You mean
the
Los Carnales.

The article worries me slightly with all the talk about the story. They should have said somewhere "Don't worry, we're not going to GTA4 you. You can still ignore the story and do all the side activities as soon as you finish the tutorial."
Whenever I see you I click on your tag and read that post, and it's never not 100% true.

Jhoan

It looks a lot more cartoonish and that's a good thing and the sky diving combat sounds awesome. For some strange reason, it sounds a lot like Crackdown on paper with the leveling up system and whatnot with some decision making thrown in but maybe that's just me. Los Luchadores look awesome, and the guns look crazy. Personally, I feel indifferent about them choosing to drop the MP; it was a decent distraction when there were enough players. I'm gonna miss eating chicken nuggets in the middle of a firefight. The game's activities are definitely gonna be story centered this time so that probably means that the Hitman and Chop Shop missions are probably gonna have more of a character motive for doing. I'd be happy with 3-4 player co-op provided the framerate issues get fixed in this game. Regardless of the fact, it sounds awesome and it's great that they're using Geomod 2.0 in this game even if it's during missions.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Holy shit if even half of the things in that gamefaqs post are true.

....Hot damn, this is gonna be one hell of a game.

edit: Ah, they are in fact legit. Awesome.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
BobJustBob said:
You mean
the
Los Carnales.

Don't worry about it. I enjoyed SR2's story and thought it had some solid stuff to offer. There's no reason an interesting story means it needs to super serious put you to sleep GTAIV level.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Gravijah said:
"like gta san andreas you can gain points to be skinny,fat,or strong."

But I thought he said they took out food?

I hope it's a permanent skill increase or whatever, and not some micro-managing thing. Having to keep going back to the gym to keep yourself skinny or strong got boring fast in San Andreas.

Either that or just keep the cosmetic options open for plastic surgery, but have behind-the-hood stuff like doing more melee damage or running for skinny/damage resistance for fat tied to a skill that can be upgraded.

Otacon

anything mentioned about a cover system?
that's the only thing i missed in the 2nd game (and maybe a better physics engine compared to Rockstar's RAGE engine)
otherwise it sounds like pretty much the best - and most fun - game ever made
scans looks awesome
damn, 2011 has so many GOTY contenders already =D
glad they kept the co-op and hope you can again play the whole campaign and all side missions together

OneLetter

I just want to comment on one particular quote flying around, because it bothers me.

you can gain points to be skinny,fat,or strong.

This is not correct. You can still modify your body, but weight/muscle mass modification is a visual effect only and no points are assigned with regard to modifying it.

No more drinking and drugs? That should have been expanded on and became the health system. Need health, drink a 40. Can't believe I can't smoke a blunt anymore. Ridiculous. Multiplayer from SR1 should have made a glorious return as well. Protect the Pimp and Blinged out Ride were great multiplayer modes. Volition better be on the ball with this story mode and the co-op better not disappoint. No more drinking/drugs my ass.

OneLetter said:
I just want to comment on one particular quote flying around, because it bothers me.

This is not correct. You can still modify your body, but weight/muscle mass modification is a visual effect only and no points are assigned with regard to modifying it.
Makes sense considering that's how it was in SR2. Thanks for setting us straight.

In other news, I must say not being able to eat, drink or do drugs is a real bummer.

Darkshier said:
No more drinking and drugs? That should have been expanded on and became the health system. Need health, drink a 40. Can't believe I can't smoke a blunt anymore. Ridiculous. Multiplayer from SR1 should have made a glorious return as well. Protect the Pimp and Blinged out Ride were great multiplayer modes. Volition better be on the ball with this story mode and the co-op better not disappoint. No more drinking/drugs my ass.

This.

I loved the visuals modifiers that came with drinking/drugs. :/

Speedymanic said:
This.

I loved the visuals modifiers that came with drinking/drugs. :/
It was bad enough that Volition decided to make less options for drinking/drugs in SR2, and now it's even worse that they have decided to take them out all together. What kind of gangsters are the saints if they don't drink and get high? Fuck I wanted to see some heroin, coke and crank in SR3, really get your character going.

Honestly though, getting drunk and getting the super strength from that and bashing people with a bat was classic Saint's Row. I refuse to believe super strength beer is no more.

Darkshier said:
Honestly though, getting drunk and getting the super strength from that and bashing people with a bat was classic Saint's Row. I refuse to believe super strength beer is no more.

Well they have those eight-foot dudes wandering around the city right?
Obviously there should be some sort of serum(created with the blood/DNA of those monster guys) that the player can get a hold of for a temporary burst of strength.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Well they have those eight-foot dudes wandering around the city right?
Obviously there should be some sort of serum that the player can get a hold of for a temporary burst of strength.
What kind of 2 bit gangster worth his duckets drinks a serum? 40 oz or bust.

Vilam said:
Don't worry about it. I enjoyed SR2's story and thought it had some solid stuff to offer. There's no reason an interesting story means it needs to super serious put you to sleep GTAIV level.

I didn't have any problems with SR2's story either, but I don't want them making the story the focus of the game. As long as they understand that the side activities are the game, everything will be fine. They've certainly earned my trust with this series but I'm afraid they'll pull a Red Faction and turn it into a linear corridor shooter or something.

Otacon said:
anything mentioned about a cover system?
that's the only thing i missed in the 2nd game

Saints Row 2 already had the best cover system ever. Human shields were movable cover. And they're back.

squicken

In saints row 3rd the LB button acts as a sprint button as well as a modifier.Volition refers to it as the AWESOME BUTTON,because it amlifies almost any action you do.In case of carjacking,this shortens the process down to a missile drop kick int the drivers seat.Sprint at the car from the side and youll break through the window,sending the driver flying out the opposite door.Approach from the front and youll leap over the hood,giving the driver a face full of boot

Dropkick through the windshield to carjack? Yes please

BobJustBob said:
Saints Row 2 already had the best cover system ever. Human shields were movable cover. And they're back.
That and you don't need a cover system™ to use cover effectively. Getting shot? Hide behind a car for a few seconds. I think turning this into a 'stop and pop' kind of game would be a mistake. It's more fun to run around dual wielding, shooting dudes in the face, than hiding behind a wall exchanging gunfire for 5 minutes.

Revenant

Neuromancer said:
That and you don't need a cover system™ to use cover effectively. Getting shot? Hide behind a car for a few seconds. I think turning this into a 'stop and pop' kind of game would be a mistake. It's more fun to run around dual wielding, shooting dudes in the face.

yup, the more ridiculous this game is the better. It's nice to have a few games not going for grit and realism and still keep a game a game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Makes sense considering that's how it was in SR2. Thanks for setting us straight.

In other news, I must say not being able to eat, drink or do drugs is a real bummer.

Yeah, what the hell is up with that? Getting drunk and punching a hobo 20 ft away was so awesome.

Why remove cool stuff like that Volition? Please tell me at least the on foot mp3 player is back????

Some more info, this time courtesy of Eurogamer.

Game Informer's reveal threw up plenty more information on top of that. The game opens with
the Third Street Saints trying to rob a bank. The heist is botched however, and you find yourself held captive in a jet by rival gang and the the bank's owner, The Syndicate.

Along with familiar faces Johnny Gat and Shaundi, you fight your way free, jump out of the jet and then proceed to blow it to pieces mid air, duly dodging debris on your way to the ground.

You land in the city of Steelport where the game proper kicks off. You'll be vying for control of the faded metropolis against four opposing forces.

Morning Star are your textbook be-suited Euro-villains, packing sniper rifles and SMGs as standard.

The Luchadores are beefy mask-wearing drug dealers who prefer close-range combat and heavy weaponry.

The Deckers are hi-tech egg heads that deal with security and money laundering, while the STAG Unit (Special Tactical Anti Gang Unit) represent the strong arm of the law, trying to rid the streets of all gang activity.

New features include the ability to upgrade weaponry. For example, as you progress you'll be able to add sniper scopes or under-barrel rocket launchers to your assault rifle.

Another improvement sees the L1 or LB button speed up your actions, so no more tedious car hijacking animations.

There's a host of cool new toys to play with too, such as a gizmo that lets you remotely control cars, planes and tanks. You'll also be able to call in air strikes and control predator drones.
Looking forward to seeing the design of the Deckers. A high tech gang could be pretty interesting.

3T5xY.jpg

Air Strike

Steelport’s three gangs will oftentimes become engaged in flashpoints, which see the gangsters coming together and partaking in some shady business. During our time at Volition, we saw a large group of Luchadores in a parking lot as they guarded palettes of drugs. Charging in with an AK and grenades might work if you’re skilled enough, but why risk it? With this laser-guided air strike, you can demolish large groups of enemies without directly engaging them. Simply use a laser to indicate where you want ground zero to be, and the area will soon be showered in what appears to be a napalm carpet bomb. What was once an intimidating collection of Luchadores turned into a bunch of scarred corpses with one of these strikes.

Predator Drone

Painting a target with a laser is a nice option, but why use that if you can personally drive an explosive package right into your enemy? Activating the drone will change the perspective to a top-down view similar to the AC-130 level in Modern Warfare. Standard bombs can be dropped with one trigger, while the other will release a smart bomb that you can precisely guide with the analog sticks. Destroying a high-value target with a standard bomb is a lot of fun, but it’s even better when you’re closing in on a vehicle from the perspective of a bomb you’re controlling.

RC Gun

Both the predator drone and air strike allow you to rain death from above, but this handy new weapon allows you to attack from the ground while still staying out of harm’s way. By shooting out an electronic bug, you can assume control of virtually any vehicle you see (it will initially control cars, but you can upgrade it to take over tanks and air vehicles). Once the bug is attached, you can drive the vehicle around just as you would if you were in the driver’s seat. You could take over a rival gang’s car and run over a few cops if you want to get them in some quick trouble, or fill a truck with explosives and send it into enemy territory if you’d like to deliver a bomb on wheels.

Upgrades

It was possible to upgrade some aspects of your weapons in Saints Row 2, but these bonuses were always tied to specific activities. Saints Row: The Third is going a different route, by offering a proper levelling system that opens up new perks and bonuses for purchase as you become more powerful. A standard shotgun can turn into the three-barreled Gravedigger if you have the cash, and assault rifles can receive scopes and grenade launchers. By upgrading weapons how you see fit, you’ll have much more say this time around when it comes to building your desired arsenal.

Sex Toy Bat

While it’s by no means the most subtle weapon in your arsenal, this floppy phallus packs a mean punch when used as a melee weapon. The top of this sex toy seems to have a mind of its own, wobbling around in a disturbing display of physics. Give a grandma a swift swing with this bat and you’ll witness a splash of blood and a body slamming against the pavement. It can’t feel good to get knocked out by the sex toy bat, but we think the insult may be worse than the injury in this case.

Sex toy bats and air strikes certainly won't be all you'll have at your disposal, as Volition hinted at several more ridiculous tools of destruction in Saints Row: The Third. We won't spoil any surprises here, but the more sadistic gamers will have plenty to look forward to when the game launches this holiday season.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/03/09/the-weapons-of-saints-row-the-third.aspx

Wiggum2007

That Luchador gang is the best thing that ever has been. And that RC gun sounds fantastic, being pinned down by gunfire only to plow through your enemies with a station wagon... brilliant.

Top Bottom