• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer April Issue - Alpha Protocol Cover Story (Obsidian's New Action RPG)

Snaku

Banned
Error said:
FF7:CC=another j-gaf overhyped game? hmmmmmmmm

6hfoiop.gif

:p

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
DONT SHOOT ME I PREORDERED CC

but j-gaf was saying CC is the best PSP game ever, so we'll see!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Wow, isn't this the magazine that gives a 9 to any highly anticipated game as long as its not uber shit?

The score for LO is a little bit high imo. Its just an 8.0 game, nothing more.

Gattsu25

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Wow, isn't this the magazine that gives a 9 to any highly anticipated game as long as its not uber shit?
Swap out 'magazine' with 'site' and you just described the entire reviewing community

A better way to say it would have been: Wow, isn't this the magazine that gives a 3 to any high quality game that they don't expect to sell well at Gamestop/EB?

In which case, the answer would be 'yes'

Doytch

After last year's brilliant but criminally unloved MotB, I'll be there day one for anything Obsidian puts out. They've got the best writers in the biz right now. Imo of course.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I like the way Alpha Protocol sounds will keep an eye out for that game So far Bethesda is on a roll.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Obsidian punches BioWare in the face!
Between Obsidian, BioWare and Bethesda, I think WRPGs are going to kick ass in 2009. :)

TreIII

Elbrain said:
I like the way Alpha Protocol sounds will keep an eye out for that game So far Bethesda is on a roll.

Ya mean Obsidian, right? :D

But any way...yeah. This game actually sounds like it could be very interesting. It's officially on my "Be sure to watch out for..." list.

Awntawn

Sallokin said:
Here's a bit from the review. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the whole thing.

...We played this game for about 10 minutes and wrote our review based on quick impressions...

They also say the side quests are sort of bland etc. the review is really short actually.
fixed

Salazar

It is a shame about Turning Point's reported crapness, as I more or less just finished Roth's 'The Plot Against America', and some atmospheric alternative history in game form would have been terrific.

Roth's book is pretty damned good, by the way.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Alpha protocol sounds brilliant. I'm also very happy with the scores Vegas 2 and Condemned 2 got.

Error

Bebpo said:
Man, I guess Diablo has shitty gameplay too since it's just 1 button combat.
Diablo has awesome loot to collect+awesome multiplayer. does CC has any of this? I dont think so.

I'm thinking of cancelling my preorder and put that money towards FES. I couldn't care less about FF7 universe and I dont think I'll find gameplay that appealing to me anyway.

Concept17

h3ro said:
Any mention of differences between the 360 and PS3 versions? There hasn't been much media released of the PS3 version...

My guess is after a year improvement (or so) since the last one, theres going to be little difference, if any at all. It really just looks like a 'clean' version of the first, with more than just brown/red colors everywhere.

EDIT: I'm gonna go with EGM on CC's review. They mentioned how at first the gameplay was painfully dull, but became much more deep the further into the game they got, to the point it became addictive, and not repetitive like KH.

Sallokin

Johnas said:
So, anybody got the Loose Talk (rumors)?

Loose Talk:

Xbox Live 2.0?

Talks about the recent job posting for a program manager.

Bionic Terminator.

Rumored that next gen Bionic Commando developer Grin is getting started on the next Terminator video game project.

What Else is EA Planning? A Console?

Speculates that EA may enter the console arena in 2010. They're waiting to see if PS3 sales pick up first.

joezombie

EA launching a console would be pretty nuts. Public companies are pretty risk-adverse, and while Microsoft or Sony are large enough to gamble a bit in the space, an EA console failure could really crater the firm

uncdeez

Secks4Food said:
So that's the game Mike Stout left Insomniac for, hmmm...
According to his wiki page he's working on their Alien RPG.

Doytch said:
After last year's brilliant but criminally unloved MotB, I'll be there day one for anything Obsidian puts out. They've got the best writers in the biz right now. Imo of course.
They have most of the writing talent behind Planescape: Torment so that pretty much goes without saying.

Mike Stout's actually not at Obsidian anymore, he left there to join a new group, Bionic Games, as their lead. I believe they are working on a Wii game at this time.

uncdeez

If EA were to make a console they'd have an unreal number of layoffs. So many of their employees are devoted to porting the shit out of every single piece of software they put out. EA is far too safe of a company to risk something like going into the hardware business.

If EA did try it I think Microsoft or Nintendo might try to buy them up.

Ventrue

Doytch said:
Obsidian... They've got the best writers in the biz right now. Imo of course.

I love Obsidian, but NWN2 started with "Oh no, foster father! They're burning down my beloved peasant village!"

ManaByte

Gold Member
joezombie said:
EA launching a console would be pretty nuts. Public companies are pretty risk-adverse, and while Microsoft or Sony are large enough to gamble a bit in the space, an EA console failure could really crater the firm

3DO was basically an EA console.

JasonUresti said:
Mike Stout's actually not at Obsidian anymore, he left there to join a new group, Bionic Games, as their lead. I believe they are working on a Wii game at this time.

The fuck? He just left after finishing Resistance, you'd think he'd at least see one project through at Obsidian...maybe the transition from shooting and platforming to RPG's was too much of a change for him (though this spy game seems to fit his style more.)

joezombie

EA was part of a consortium that owned the spec for the 3D0, but it was not in any way a console maker in the sense that we would understand it today

Spoit

firehawk12 said:
Obsidian punches BioWare in the face!
Between Obsidian, BioWare and Bethesda, I think WRPGs are going to kick ass in 2009. :)
What's confirmed for bioware in 2009, dragon age? But really, after the fall of black isle and trokia, obsidian probably is the WRPG company with the best writing and gameplay, but just can't figure out how to release without a rediculous number of bugs

Gattsu25

Banned
Bebpo said:
Man, I guess Diablo has shitty gameplay too since it's just 1 button combat.
Two button combat to use your abilities, and depending on your build, you'll need to use several of the function keys (F1, F2, etc) in order to swap out skills in combat

Keep defending your FF7 spinoff, it doesn't bother me, but don't bring Diablo into this...besides, if you wanted to slam Diablo, you should have just said something about non-stop clicking instead

Example: "I've played Diablo before

*click*
*click*
*click*
*click*
*click*
*click*"

Error

Gattsu25 said:
Two button combat to use your abilities, and depending on your build, you'll need to use several of the function keys (F1, F2, etc) in order to swap out skills in combat

Keep defending your FF7 spinoff, it doesn't bother me, but don't bring Diablo into this...besides, if you wanted to slam Diablo, you should have just said something about non-stop clicking instead

Example: "I've played Diablo before

*click*
*click*
*click*
*click*
*click*
*click*"
seriously, I dont get the diablo comparison.

picsou

Banned
Sallokin said:
Alpha Protocol

(1 player action/RPG)

Developer: Obsidian Entertainment
Platform: PS3/360/PC
Publisher: Sega
Release: Spring 2009

"A modern day espionage focused action/RPG that takes you on a suspenseful ride in the vein of James Bond, Jack Bauer, and Jason Bourne. Take a wet-behind-the-ears greenhorn agent up through the ranks to become a bona-fide super spy."

-Main character is Michael Thorton, a fully trained but inexperienced young operative who has the world turned upside down when a mission goes wrong.

-Title "Alpha Protocol" is a phrase that is used when operatives go underground to work off the grid. Usually reserved for senior agents.

-Battle system is similar to Mass Effect but have more in common with Uncharted. It revolves around real time combat with an emphasis on gun play and high tech gadgets.

-Third person perspective, action orientated gameplay

-Close quarters combat can be a last resort or primary method of fighting depending on how you spend skill points you have earned.

-Skill system is based most closely on Fallout. It's classless, you have 10 skills and 10 ranks in each skill. Skills don't simply improve things like accuracy, they improve the way your character will perceive situations.

-The game will suit all play styles from the run and gunner to the stealth assassin.

-Extremely in depth dialog system that is a mix of Mass Effect and Indigo Prophecy. Once conversations happen, that's it, no revisiting the NPC to try to talk again and again. System is named the Dialog Stance System. You dictate your characters tone in a conversation by pressing a corresponding face button. Options can be cool and suave others can be brash/impatient.

-You can have multiple active missions in different countries and travel freely between them.

-Lots of girls and romance subplots. You'll meet tons of different girls on missions and yes you can bag them all.

-Current control scheme for selecting powers and weapons is similar to Bioshock.

sold :D
i really love some next gen projects

h3ro said:
Any mention of differences between the 360 and PS3 versions? There hasn't been much media released of the PS3 version...

I keep expecting the PS3 version to be delayed, but this close to release maybe Ubi have got their PS3 problems sorted? I hope so.

Obsidian's new action RPG sounds awesome. If KoToR 2 wasn't so rushed it'd have been on par with the original. Really looking forward to this.

Top Bottom