• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on

Loudninja

Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on (some new in-depth info, some we already knew):

- Some components are still being refined (like the d-pad and overall weight)

- Deadzone on the analog sticks has been greatly reduced.

- Both sticks feature stiffer resistance.

- Thumbs bumping into each other is no longer an issue, the analog sticks are spaced farther apart.

- Analog sticks have a ridged concave top that prevent your thumbs from slipping off.

- Stuck with symmetrical design. (Edit) Writer suggests the assymetrical design would cause more dificulties to interact with the touchpad without unintentionally bumping into the left stick. (Not said by sony or the game devs)

- Touchpad is multi-touch, replaces start and select buttons.

- Ridge at the end of the triggers grasps at your fingers instead of letting them slide off.

- There is a small speaker above the ps button, below the touchpad.

- Lightbar works in conjunction with the ps4 eye to track your position and adjusts the split screen accordingly.

- Controller felt comfortable and sturdy.

- Got input from Bungie (and a bunch of first party studios) for designing the DS4, Bungie really wanted to make it a controller that worked great for fps games.

- Writer of the article says the controller is a big reason for gamers to be excited for the console.

Thanks farisr!

Man

Beautiful controller. Looking forward to try it.

dualshock4big2.jpg

dualshock-4-left-side-800x600.jpg

*Love* the look of the rigged grips.

sunnz

I think the R2/L2 from the looks of it could be curved a little more maybe.

Hope it's not too wide, 360 wide would be great.

ALSO, VITA d-pad please.

- Analog sticks have a ridged concave top that prevent your thumbs from slipping off.

- Ridge at the end of the triggers grasps at your fingers instead of letting them slide off.

Thank you based Sony

Pagusas

Elden Member
I like that they at least considered moving the analogue sticks. Wish they would have gone through with it but I can respect there reasons not to.

jambo

Lightbar works in conjunction with the ps4 eye to track your position and adjusts the split screen accordingly.

...That could be awesome.

Really hope this is PC compatible or hackable, looks like a great controller.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Good news. I don't think a touchscreen on your controller should take priority over a better, asymmetrical stick layout, but I think at this point they just can't because of the history of the Dualshock.

Still looks like it's going to be a solid controller Particularly love what they're doing with the triggers and I hope MS is doing something similar. And if Bungie thinks it's good, it must be good.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Sounds almost perfect. Very glad they didn't listen to the people saying DS3 was perfect blegh...can't wait to try it out

2lmGN.gif

People actually thought the DS3 was perfect?

Juice

I don't understand how Sony can be on such a roll. They've been so tone deaf for nearly a decade, and now they're completely routing MS on the PR battle.

Oppo

I hadn't realized that the dpad buttons curve slightly at the outer edges. Interesting touch.

Squire

Banned
The Durango pad will likely reign supreme as it's predecessor does currently, but this sounds great. Going to Bungie was really smart.

Sounds almost perfect. Very glad they didn't listen to the people saying DS3 was perfect blegh...can't wait to try it out

usually when people say ds3 is perfect, they're referring to symmetrical analog placement. thank god they didn't change that, especially when they start looking input from 3rd pary like bungie who primarily use 360 controller so far.

Articalys

I like that they at least considered moving the analogue sticks. Wish they would have gone through with it but I can respect their reasons not to.
Good news. I don't think a touchscreen on your controller should take priority over a better, asymmetrical stick layout, but I think at this point they just can't because of the history of the Dualshock.
Agreed. Everything else sounds great though.

I do wonder how the pad will replace start/select, especially for pausing a game.

Pagusas

Elden Member
usually when people say ds3 is perfect, they're referring to symmetrical analog placement. thank god they didn't change that, especially when they start looking input from 3rd pary like bungie who primarily use 360 controller so far.

Which is weird given how its the most problematic part of the ds3. The dpad was good, the shoulder and face buttons were great. The triggers sucked but it was earshot fix them. The sticks though, so loose, terrible feeling, and symmetrical. The last part is forgivable as preference (obviously I prefer the 360 layout) but the actual feeling of the sticks was truly terrible.

Sounds fantastic. The only thing left that I hope they announce is some sort of official PC support. Getting a DS3 to work on a PC is a pain in the ass.

Still looks like it's going to be a solid controller Particularly love what they're doing with the triggers and I hope MS is doing something similar. And if Bungie thinks it's good, it must be good.

That's entirely subjective, I prefer having the dpad directly across from the face buttons and the dualshock stick layout.

Valnen

I just want to know if the headset jack on the controller actually outputs game audio or it's *just* for voice chat. If it's just for voice chat that's disappointing and I hope the PS3 pulse wireless headsets work with the system.

blamite

Sounds really great so far. I've always hated the feel of the dualshock but with the new triggers and grips it seems like most of m problems should be taken care of. Still not sold on the touchpad and I'll miss Start and Select but in most other ways this seems really good.

I'm just glad that switching from the 360 to PS4, I won't have to take too steep of a downgrade in controller quality.

edit:

Actually, I'm not really liking the look of the material of those analogs. I'd rather have them be 100% concave and smooth than convex/concave with that textured of a material.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I just want to know if the headset jack on the controller actually outputs game audio or it's *just* for voice chat. If it's just for voice chat that's disappointing and I hope the PS3 pulse wireless headsets work with the system.

I doubt they would add in full audio transmitting to the controller. It would be to expensive and underused, not something to realistically expect.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on (some new in-depth info, some we already knew):

- Some components are still being refined (like the d-pad and overall weight)

- Thumbs bumping into each other is no longer an issue, the analog sticks are spaced farther apart.

- Stuck with symmetrical design because the assymetrical design would cause more dificulties to interact with the touchpad without unintentionally bumping into the left stick.

- Touchpad is multi-touch, replaces start and select buttons.

- There is a small speaker above the ps button, below the touchpad.

- Lightbar works in conjunction with the ps4 eye to track your position and adjusts the split screen accordingly.

- Got input from Bungie (and a bunch of first party studios) for designing the DS4, Bungie really wanted to make it a controller that worked great for fps games.

- Writer of the article says the controller is a big reason for gamers to be excited for the console.

Thanks farisr!

thumbs-up.gif

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Looks ugly as sin, like the stole Nextel's product designers.

Oppo

I would think it's a setting. You'd want one mode for single player stuff and the other for multi, no?

I think it has the latest Bluetooth and it does have a speaker... assigned audio is possible it seems.

Sony please release some PC drivers for the DS4 this time around. One of my biggest beefs with the DS3. I can't wait to get my hands on this controller.

Top Bottom