• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Evolve (TurtleRock(L4D)/2K, PC/PS4/XB1, CryEn, 4v1 PvP) [Screenshot]

Kajiba

They only talk about the 'main hunt mode'.

- 4 classes. Medic, Assault, Support, Trapper.
- Each class has multiple characters to choose from.
- Multiple monsters to choose from as well, each with their own unique abilities, but they only talk about Goliath.
- 3rd person when playing as the monster.
- Goliath's abilities: Breathing Fire, Leap Attack, Charge Attack, Rock Throw. Also some stealth abilities if you want to stalk the hunters. You start out with two abilities of your choosing, and as you evolve you unlock more.
- Levels feature 'wildlife simulation', including carnivorous plants. Goliath evolves by hunting the wildlife. Hunters get special temporary bonuses for killing 'elite wildlife', faster health regen, extra damage, etc.

Sounds so good. I'm on that hype train.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It's very, very similar to a mod called The Chosen for hl2. The Chosen was 8 vs 1; the monster player had tons of cool skills and powers, the soldiers had scanners, different roles, etc
Are you sure it was Half Life 2? I can't seem to find it.

- Multiple monsters to choose from as well, each with their own unique abilities, but they only talk about Goliath.
- Goliath's abilities: Breathing Fire, Leap Attack, Charge Attack, Rock Throw. Also some stealth abilities if you want to stalk the hunters. You start out with two abilities of your choosing, and as you evolve you unlock more.
- Levels feature 'wildlife simulation', including carnivorous plants. Goliath evolves by hunting the wildlife. Hunters get special temporary bonuses for killing 'elite wildlife', faster health regen, extra damage, etc.
Now that sounds far more promising. Will keep an eye on.

kasane

Now this is whats up.

Let's go ahead and call this;

Starship Troopers: The Game

I'm in!

lp2aV3t.png

8MLv3fP.png

Are you even paying attention to what they're saying, EDF was already that, down to the dialogue.

MOBA influences in an fps, interesting.

Just give me a predator alien, 1 life for humans, modern weapons for humans, advance super technology for predator type creature

then im good to go

RealMeat

Banned
So if the monster levels up off the wildlife, sounds like the humans will be on the offensive and things will move towards the monster's favor as the match goes on. Sounds a bit different from versus L4D. I suppose the levels will be open as well.

derFeef

Here is hoping it's not some kind of spawn-fest for the monster player - that would be boring. I wonder if you would have to level up somehow to gain stronger as a monster - kinda like in Dota.

Just give me a predator alien, 1 life for humans, modern weapons for humans, advance super technology for predator type creature

then im good to go

They kind of had a MP mode like this in the recent Alien Vs. Predator game. One person would be randomly selected as the predator at the start of a match complete with all the predator abilities while the rest of the players played as marines. I think the way it worked was if you killed the predator you became the predator and vice versa. There was also an alien infection style mode that was really fun.

This sounds like it's a lot more well thought out. Balance will probably a big deal though.

I think a lot of people are missing the fact that this isn't really L4D with aliens, its a hunting simulator with a single ALIEN where that single alien is played by a human player..

Not my type of game by any means, if it was going to be multiplayer, hordes of aliens a la zombies in Left4 dead would have been more awesome. At least you could play single player and offline. Like EDF

inkls

I think a lot of people are missing the fact that this isn't really L4D with aliens, its a hunting simulator with a single ALIEN where that single alien is played by a human player..

Not my type of game by any means, if it was going to be multiplayer, hordes of aliens a la zombies in Left4 dead would have been more awesome. At least you could play single player and offline. Like EDF

didn't someone a few pages ago mention that there is sp, but that the focus of the article was the hunt mode?

Seeing the title, I hoped, just for a moment, we were getting something quirky and creative, along the lines of a modern multiplayer E.V.O. or Spore:

sPFp9rB.jpg

HariKari

Another FPS? Fuck that

Except for that part where the player who is the monster is third person.

Reminds me of "The Hidden" mod for HL2, which was hilarious at times. Can't wait to see how this one turns out. Plenty of talent there to make something special.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the details, guys! This has me excited, can't wait to see more.

Wonder how the guys at Valve are reacting to the news (if at all), since they're doing L4D3.

Wensih

Personally disappointed as a single player only type of guy. Some really cool games are coming out that I won't be playing because I just don't find any appeal in online multiplayer.

Titanfall
Destiny
Evolved
etc.

Hopefully this generation won't be about forcing multiplayer down everyone's throat because I won't be playing many new games in that scenario.

Orayn

So how many fps or 3rd person multiplayer shooter games does this make for next gen? Please be excited.

Count the amount of games with either 3rd person or 1st person gun combat released in a year. Was this shit needed? Do we really need more? Seriously, sick of this shit. Stop paying attention to these things. Remember the old Devil May Cry games? Remember when 3rd person had a sword? Remember when games weren't put together mainly for multiplayer shlock with a gun and they focused on rewarding and LASTING EXPERIENCES in single player?

Yeah I cant either anymore. They've been shoveling this shit with both hands for so long I cant even see around it anymore to any games that might be different. From now on if they tease a cover or ANYTHING it should come with warnings about FPS or gunplay focused combat being involved. Bored to fucking tears these days.

At least the multiplayer I do use in Fighting games has some fucking depth to it thats deeper than run and shoot or hiding and even those games I go on record daily as saying they need to put FAR more single player content into them like MK9 did (which wasn't even that good combat wise).

VRaFnMQ.gif

ANOTHER FIRST PERSON SHOOTER FOCUSING ON MULTIPLAYER PLEASE BE EXCITED.

Fuck this gens publishers. Fuck em all for never doing anything different or at least single player focused without a gun. Fuck folks for forgetting how great 3rd person hand to hand combat is in games.

Sick of all this shit. I never have anything to look forward to in games these days.

g1cxXBY.jpg

Now I understand what the latest Jimquisition was about..

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Little bit more:

- You don't need a full squad to play. AI fills in the empty spots. This goes for the monster too.
- Players can revive each other like in Left 4 Dead. Three-Strikes rule applies here as well.
- All the Hunters have jetpacks.
- Team Monster can win multiple ways. Either kill all 4 Hunters at the same time or complete an objective. The objective example they give is take down a shield
generator at a mining facility. Sounds like it's guarded by AI. Each level has it's own unique objective.

Cool. I'm definitely down for this game!

Seeing the title, I hoped, just for a moment, we were getting something quirky and creative, along the lines of a modern multiplayer E.V.O. or Spore:

sPFp9rB.jpg

Totally forgot about this game but now that you've mentioned it a successor could be quite awesome. It'll probably be a download title these days if Enix will ever consider this.

KlotePino

I loved L4D's multiplayer and this seems heavily inspired by it obviously so I'm really interested and excited. I'm a little worried though because of two things, first of all the team gameplay element as infected in L4D was one of the most fun things in the game. Playing as the monster has always been more interesting to me than being the survivor so I'm hoping they manage to find a twist that makes it just as fun to play either side, especially seeing as how there's no team element to the monster's side. Also the biggest problem with L4D's multiplayer was it's lack of punishment when it comes to leavers/griefers etc. They really need a ranked mode or atleast something else that makes sure you play a serious match if you want to. If they manage to ease my concerns on both I'll put money down on this game right now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm more of a campaign guy than a versus one, so my love for L4D probably wont transition over to this game.

rdrr gnr

I genuinely don't understand some of the responses in here. It was clear from the other thread that the game was Evolve as another poster vouched for the reveal. It's a new IP from a competent studio that is next-gen only. It's also a gameplay-focused title that seemingly does away with a traditional SP. Online-only being a no-buy for some people is just embarrassing on a forum like this. Why wouldn't you want a game to embrace what it does best?

Top Bottom