• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer February Cover: Uncharted 4

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Neil said, "figuring out how to bring closure to this story" in the game informer vid, so that must mean Naughty Dog is treating this as their last Uncharted internally.

"A Thief's End"

Jigolo

Neil said, "figuring out how to bring closure to this story" in the game informer vid, so that must mean Naughty Dog is treating this as their last Uncharted internally.
I thought this was the case when they announced it in the first place. I mean "A thief's end"... yeah.

I hope it is too. I like what they've been doing

PS1 = Crash series
PS2 = Jak series
PS3 = Uncharted series (1 TLoU)
PS4 = 1 uncharted game, 1 TLoU game, New IP? (Maybe)
PS5 - New IP?

recks

- Porting TLOU to PS4 helped Uncharted 4 development
- Small team working on it since U3 development ended, half the team moved to U4 after TLOU and the rest after Left Behind
- Takes places 3 years after U3
- At the start of U4 Drake is living an happy life with Elena, then Sam appears
- Drake thought Sam was dead
- Sam life depends on him finding an artifact from Henry Avery
- Drake feels indebted of his brother and he can't resist getting back on treasure hunting
- Story takes Drake and Sam to Libertalia "a mythic Madagascar colony purportedly founded by pirates"
- Says you're not going to spend the whole game on the island, teases snowy and urban enviroments
- Two rival hunters, Rafe and Nadine
- Rafe is a very different treasure hunter than Drake, with different morale and approach
- Nadine owns a private military company in South Africa
- Villains will play a bigger role this time
- "The lack of Sam being in Nathan life for so long is what's driven him in the last games"
- Sam is five years older than Drake
- Teases Elena and Sully
- Sam is even more reckless than Drake
- Sam is jealous of Drake, sees him as the 'better at everything little brother'
- Lots of rivalry between them
- ND didn't want to talk about Drake and Sam past
- Artifacts (collectibles) may contain notes poiting to more treasures/artifacts
- Enemies can grab your leg if you try to push them over ledges
- More tools besides Rope and Piton (metal spike)
- They're not ready to talk about them yet
- Wants to incorporate the tools into puzzles
- GI saw an extended demo with a new scene. Drake is beaten down while Sam is rested, they start arguing the existance of Avery secret, then something catches Drake's eye, he moves forward, pull some foliage, revealing a gray monument with a carving.
- Focusing on navigational freedom for this entry
- Showed multiple paths, one finding an extra cave, other bypassing a group of enemies
- Plenty of side stories if you're looking for them
- In the demo they showed Drake taking a more riskier climbing route, that almost makes him fall in the sea
- All paths have consequences, there's no "Golden path"
- Rehauled A.I system
- Compared Sam A.I to Ellie, but says Sam is a grown up treasure hunter, so he's much stronger than Ellie
- Trying to "explore what it's like to be with somebody as capable of Nathan Drake"
- Not giving a straight answer if this is Drake last adventure
- Still plenty of humour in the game
- Concept of set piece is "What's something impactful that we can do to switch expectations and how can we have it emotionally charged?"

Please don't hunt me down if I missed something :(

- Small team working on it since U3 development ended, half the team moved to U4 after TLOU and the rest after Left Behind
- Drake feels indebted of his brother and he can't resist getting back on treasure hunting
- Story takes Drake and Sam to Libertalia "a mythic Madagascar colony purportedly founded by pirates"
- Says you're not going to spend the whole game on the island, teases snowy and urban enviroments
- Rafe is a very different treasure hunter than Drake, with different morale and approach
- "The lack of Sam being in Nathan life for so long is what's driven him in the last games"
- Teases Elena and Sully
- Sam is jealous of Drake, sees him as the 'better at everything little brother'
- Artifacts (collectibles) may contain notes poiting to more treasures/artifacts
- GI saw an extended demo with a new scene. Drake is beaten down while Sam is rested, they start arguing the existance of Avery secret, then something catches Drake's eye, he moves forward, pull some foliage, revealing a gray monument with a carving.
- Showed multiple paths, one finding an extra cave, other bypassing a group of enemies
- In the demo they showed Drake taking a more riskier climbing route, that almost makes him fall in the sea
- Rehauled A.I system
- Compared Sam A.I to Ellie, but says Sam is a grown up treasure hunter, so he's much stronger than Ellie
- Trying to "explore what it's like to be with somebody as capable of Nathan Drake"
- Concept of set piece is "What's something impactful that we can do to switch expectations and how can we have it emotionally charged?"

Thank you!

Edit:
"Sam is jealous of Drake, sees him as the 'better at everything little brother"
It really is Liquid Drake XD

thuway

Sounds amazing! If you are reading this Naughty Dog can you please think about doing more vehicle sections? The multiplayer could benefit from it too. It's been a long time since Drake and Elena in the SUV.

bombshell

- Teases Elena and Sully
- Rehauled A.I system

Thank you.

Made a new thread with your info: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=146254853

That's the best part of the news.

- Teases Elena and Sully
- Rehauled A.I system

So much information, awesome! This has me super excited, thanks for summarizing it, recks! :)

- Teases Elena and Sully
- Rehauled A.I system

thank you for that.

although I hope they're not keeping it a "light hearted romp" just because of the scare the rumor made about it being too dark. i'd like a darker approach if that's what their original vision was.

and not to mention, if this is supposed to be the last uncharted game (at least with nate as the protagonist), then by all means, dark is best.

LastNac

- Teases Elena and Sully
- Rehauled A.I system

giphy.gif

LastNac

thank you for that.

although I hope they're not keeping it a "light hearted romp" just because of the scare the rumor made about it being too dark. i'd like a darker approach if that's what their original vision was.

and not to mention, if this is supposed to be the last uncharted game (at least with nate as the protagonist), then by all means, dark is best.

Given that this thing has passed hands a few times there is no telling what the "original vision" even was.

- Teases Elena and Sully
- Rehauled A.I system

Thanks! Really appreciate it. Sounds like Elena and Sully are in the backseat for this one. I hope I'm wrong.

- Teases Elena and Sully
- Rehauled A.I system

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

jayu26

- Teases Elena and Sully
- Rehauled A.I system

Thank you for this.

I really like the bold parts.

Loris146

- Teases Elena and Sully
- Rehauled A.I system

Great news :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Details sound awesome! Each one sounds great. Any news on if they're still targeting 60fps?

Sounds amazing! If you are reading this Naughty Dog can you please think about doing more vehicle sections? The multiplayer could benefit from it too. It's been a long time since Drake and Elena in the SUV.
Nah. Keep vehicles out of MP and don't have the player controlling them in SP. It only makes games worse.

That info sounds good. My requests to ND

-Please work on enemy A.I to make it "smarter" and unpredictable specially at harder levels
-Difficult puzzles
-Make the navigation hard unlike previous UC entries where its just mashing button to jump and everything else is auto. It should be risk/reward

LastNac

that's true, but I meant a change in response to this rumor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og47oMv9TOg

Seeing how it's not going to take place only the island, I can think we get definitely be seeing theme in the other locations.

Well, we know for a fact that Every and Drake's brother were elements left over when Hennig was creative director. The location of South Africa/Madagascar was also introduced back in 2013 via the reveal trailer.

If I were to make a bet I would assume that a lot of the story elements have stayed the same and what has really changed was the game play.

I remember hearing a rumor a year ago that talked about alternating between Drake and a historical figure, including a set-piece on a pirate ship in a storm. Obviously the Cape of Good Hope is known for terrible storms so georgaphically it would make sense for something like that to transpire. Truthfully however, it was probably just a rumor.

Then again, if true, I really hope that it wasn't cut. That sounds pretty cool.

GnawtyDog

Banned
A next-gen Chloe with a beautifully sculpted *** seems to be in HOT D3MAND!
In all seriousness seems like fans of the game have really grown fond of her...

Arondight

- Rehauled A.I system

These stood out to me as the best stuff. More freedom,variety and more risk sounds very good. Really like what I'm hearing and seeing about the game so far. Easily a day 1 purchase at this rate.

Top Bottom