• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer has released a God of War Ragnarok Combat Preview

I love fighting games so the more combat options the better but I get it's a big AAA title so the combat won't ever become super deep. And letting players decide what style/strategies they want to use is such a good decision.

I don't think 2018 had any major flaws but I'm hoping for a few things like:
  • Kratos getting Baldurs suplex
  • A few more major boss battles
  • Optional bosses (like Valkyries); maybe 6 or 7 heroes of Valhalla
  • Enchantments that only lower attributes like strength, runic, defense etc to make the game harder
  • And I never used quick turn, so maybe they need to rethink it (but maybe because my positioning was good)

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

tommib

It looks like more of the same which for the people that liked the first one must feel like heaven. You can never get enough good blowjobs.

I on the other hand was less than impressed by GOW 2018 (love the original trilogy), since it’s not my type of game (too many press forward for mumbo jumbo dialog and I don’t like the Norse aesthetics - also hated the confusing menus for skills and armors and axe FX). They need to convince me to get it on launch day. I’m hoping for more diverse settings and less cutscenes.

It would also be awesome if they somehow bridge it with the old Greek mythology and architecture in some way.

Last edited:
Yeah things are moving at a marketing level.
Hopefully there is a proper showcase or at least a SoP dedicated to GoW in the next few weeks.
Details about combat improvements and verticality are really interesting.
They should do SoP gameplay similar to e3 2016 and that's about it- small section of gameplay without many spoilers. They obviously won't show any new story trailer because they don't want to spoil the game- and for us to go in blind into this game.

Last edited:
Watching people criticizing this game while jerking off to Elden Ring is...interesting. The expectations for PlayStation exclusive are truly in a league of their own at this point i see.

I'm sorry but imagine criticizing this game's visuals for looking close to the previous one when God of War 2018 still looks better than 99% of all games out there released in 2022, lmao.

I look at the footage released for Ragnarok and...how many games out there can compete in terms of visuals? RDR2? TLOU2? Anything else?

In fact, i see videos like these:

And this game might actually surpass those 2 i just mentioned. Seriously the level of detail, lighting, water...this is all top notch.

Plus from the pictures just released there's a huge increase in volumetric lighting, effects, particles, etc that weren't present in the previous one.

Too bad, you could have the excuse to buy a better controller otherwise.

Bitch had more different attacks than probably any boss i ever fought.
I'm excited to fight new bosses. I managed to grab PS5 before new prices so I expect flawless 60fps. Should help a ton with less input lag. If Freya regains her wings, this fight will be fierce.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Watching people criticizing this game while jerking off to Elden Ring is...interesting. The expectations for PlayStation exclusive are truly in a league of their own at this point i see.

I'm sorry but imagine criticizing this game's visuals for looking close to the previous one when God of War 2018 still looks better than 99% of all games out there released in 2022, lmao.

I look at the footage released for Ragnarok and...how many games out there can compete in terms of visuals? RDR2? TLOU2? Anything else?

In fact, i see videos like these:

And this game might actually surpass those 2 i just mentioned. Seriously the level of detail, lighting, water...this is all top notch.

Plus from the pictures just released there's a huge increase in volumetric lighting, effects, particles, etc that weren't present in the previous one.

are you actually commenting on that 4 second video?

It doesnt look that much better than 2018, like hardly at all.

And I'm hyped as fuck for this game but let's be serious.....if this was a PS5 exclusive it would look insane! We will never see a god of war on the PS5 that pushes the hardware...and that makes me sad!

And I'm hyped as fuck for this game but let's be serious.....if this was a PS5 exclusive it would look insane! We will never see a god of war on the PS5 that pushes the hardware...and that makes me sad!

Trying too hard i think, you ‘re almost there but jsut a bit too on the nose

Last edited:

saintjules

I don't get the critics with the combat of the first game, I liked it a lot and thought it was the best thing out of that game.

It might not be DMC style like the previous ones, but you still had lots of options when going for combos or special attacks. And impacting enemies felt great.

Glad to read the are working on enemy variety, that was a weak spot of the previous game imo.

People are afraid of what's different. Glad it paid off for Santa Monica in the end.

John Wick

It looks much better than the 2018 version. Just look at the snow area comparision.
Even in those low res screenshots i can see a lot of improvement.
Btw why Game Informer video not uploaded 4k resolution @@

Maybe because Sony have yet to show it off in it's true 4k glory? I think people are going to be surprised by the final quality. It was the same with HFW. Games are polished right near the end of development.

John Wick

I’m not blown away by the visuals, Returnal looks better, then again this could be the PS4 version for all we know since it’s not Sony’s content but GI rushing something out to be first. Hopefully Sony will have their own Ragnarök event.

Anyhow, it’ll be a long wait to see it pop up on the PS+ Premium game catalogue, hopefully to too long though.
I hate it when people apply common sense as to why the footage loos low res and similar to PS4 quality.

Hot5pur

I wonder how hard it would have been to turn this into a proper action adventure game with traversal puzzles and freeform 3D movement. Was not a fan of the over the shoulder planarized gameplay. Seems too many compromised were made to make this into a "cinematic" experience that would sell well but it has lost much of its appeal to hardcore back and slash fans.

Gudji

I’m not blown away by the visuals, Returnal looks better, then again this could be the PS4 version for all we know since it’s not Sony’s content but GI rushing something out to be first. Hopefully Sony will have their own Ragnarök event.

Anyhow, it’ll be a long wait to see it pop up on the PS+ Premium game catalogue, hopefully to too long though.
NO it doesn't look better and I'm saying that as a huge returnal fan.

I wonder how hard it would have been to turn this into a proper action adventure game with traversal puzzles and freeform 3D movement. Was not a fan of the over the shoulder planarized gameplay. Seems too many compromised were made to make this into a "cinematic" experience that would sell well but it has lost much of its appeal to hardcore back and slash fans.
Lmao sorry wrong quote and my phone can't delete this
Maybe because Sony have yet to show it off in it's true 4k glory? I think people are going to be surprised by the final quality. It was the same with HFW. Games are polished right near the end of development.
it's marketing video. I don't think Sony didn't give them best quality footage. Clearly this is GI fault.

And yeah people gonna be suprised how good it is. I still remember the same conversation before HFW released. And now they compare HFW to anything else as the next gen standard lol.

Last edited:

And my point is, it's still probably one of the 5 best looking games ever as it is.

If that's not enough i feel sorry for your standards.

xion4360

as a sequel this looks very similar to the last game...I don't mean graphically just in general. Looks like some of the same areas are revisited with a different dressing. Kratos himself looks the same.

I mean im excited to play it as the last game was excellent, but I would be more hyped if it looked genuinely like a new experience. Of course there are those hyping up the game and those trolling it but considering the pedigree its building on id say it's a sure bet to be really good.

shubik

as a sequel this looks very similar to the last game...I don't mean graphically just in general. Looks like some of the same areas are revisited with a different dressing. Kratos himself looks the same.

I mean im excited to play it as the last game was excellent, but I would be more hyped if it looked genuinely like a new experience. Of course there are those hyping up the game and those trolling it but considering the pedigree its building on id say it's a sure bet to be really good.
It's a direct sequel. How and why should Kratos look different? :D

if this was a PS5 exclusive it would look insane! We will never see a god of war on the PS5 that pushes the hardware...and that makes me sad!
It's only Norse Saga that will end. We already have hints about other mythologies in the world of GoW. I think there was an Egyptian and Japanese mythology on mural in GoW 2018. I think that Egyptian is more likely since Angerboda looks like she could be Egyptian.

So new saga, new GoW on PS5, we may yet see the console pushed to its limits. But that's just my two cents.

DeepSpace5D

different armor? different beard? do you lack imagination? I know there will be different armors but just the default could be different.
I’m pretty sure there will be plenty of different armor choices in this sequel. The first game had many different armor sets.

OZ9000

Banned
Why not wait till they actually show us proper footage? Or are you in a hurry to make an ass of of yourself along with a few other usual clowns?
There is no need to wait as we can already see from the screenshots SSM have provided there is very little obvious graphical improvement.

Looks in line with what I would expect from a standard PS4 sequel as opposed to a next gen game.

Kokoloko85

So it's just some random journous that will tell us what they feel about the game, like i should care.

Where is the gameplay Sony? what happened to those awesome dedicated state play?

Why do you need a state of play though? Or more gameplay shown. Fans of the game are gonna buy it.

We know exactly how the combat is And we know exactly how the game plays lol. If you liked GOW 2018, you’ll like this.
Apart from maybe the story lol.
Sony need to do shows without repeating games all the time, show us some new shit coming in 2023/2024 Please

Loxus

I'm genuinely curious what some really think next-gen is supposed to look like.
Sometimes when I see someone say a game doesn't look next-gen, I look outside and think to myself. Wtf is this person on, it looks better than real life.

I mean, how much more realistic and detailed can you make these scenes look?
FR4J9cY.jpg

4yVNA9c.jpg

mD6LHyl.jpg
71vnqLL.jpg

m19xxEi.jpg

There is no doubt that games will get more realistic looking. But by how much?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm genuinely curious what some really think next-gen is supposed to look like.
Sometimes when I see someone say a game doesn't look next-gen, I look outside and think to myself. Wtf is this person on, it looks better than real life.

I mean, how much more realistic and detailed can you make these scenes look?
FR4J9cY.jpg

4yVNA9c.jpg

mD6LHyl.jpg
71vnqLL.jpg

m19xxEi.jpg

There is no doubt that games will get more realistic looking. But by how much?
I was saying the same thing in the Forza H 5 threads pre-release. Like .... they look like real cars. It's 60 fps. It's not really going to get much more advanced than this honestly.

Art direction and creativity are more important. I don't need everything to be AAA. God of War is obviously AAA.

I think some people are just grappling with diminishing returns. But maybe Unreal 5 and games on par with the Matrix demo will blow us all away and we just haven't seen it yet. Time will tell. I wasn't really that impressed with the Matrix shit when I played it. Seems cool though.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
And my point is, it's still probably one of the 5 best looking games ever as it is.

If that's not enough i feel sorry for your standards.

I'm not saying the game looks bad in anyway. I am saying it looks like GOW 2018 and I am a little upset that it's not a PS5 exclusive, so I could actually see the game pushing the hardware. It will look great, just like 2018 looked great. It just doesn't really look much different, just different areas and biomes.

I'm not saying the game looks bad in anyway. I am saying it looks like GOW 2018 and I am a little upset that it's not a PS5 exclusive, so I could actually see the game pushing the hardware. It will look great, just like 2018 looked great. It just doesn't really look much different, just different areas and biomes.

It's pretty much a direct sequel. Slightly better looking and much larger than the first game. If we get 4k 60fps on PS5, I'll be more than happy.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The gameplay changes they have described in the interview dont seem to be significant. They are minor iterations I'd expect from a sequel 2 years in the making. This sequel has taken more than 4.5 years, basically as long as the original reboot did. For games that long in development and span generations, I expect bigger changes. See Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4, TLOU to TLOU2. Cory himself said that games are taking longer to make which is why he wanted to finish the story in 2 games instead of making it a trilogy. Well, that doesnt mean you have to settle for the same combat.

I also think messing with an already perfect combat system by tweaking things instead of overhauling the combat system with entirely new movests, weapons and abilities doesnt always work. See Ascension which simply turned its combat into a bizarre convoluted mess, and also HFW which needlessly tweaked existing systems and ended up with a less fun version of HZD. This is the problem with making 40 hour games. You cant just throw out a brand new combat system after just one game, but by making the games 40 hours or 4x longer than they were before, you've risked the combat feeling samey. GOW's combat didnt star feeling samey until GOW3 but we were only around 20 hours into the franchise. With the reboot, we've already been playing this combat for 40 hours. Though having new enemies might help keep it from feeling too samey. Didnt help for HFW, but SSM are better game designers.

The more I play TLOU2, the more I appreciate it. It's a game that didnt just use the new tech to improve the combat systems, but also completely enhanced the overall level design. So many of the levels are huge and sandboxish, they dont ever feel like small arena battles. I am surprised I ever disliked playing the game because of pacing issues. While GOW's combat system was as perfect as they come, it felt a bit rigid and tanky at times. The lack of hermes boots from 3 really limited mobility which i guess was by design. Still, I think TLOU2 increases mobility without sacrificing the grounded feel by the way of its motion matching systems, and new animations. I guess I expect ALL sony studios to borrow the motion matching tech from ND after the E3 2018 demo. GOW2 was just starting dev, they couldve used it knowing the damn sequel was going to take 4 years anyway.

I dunno. Playing HFW and Elden Ring back to back and and struggling to shake the samey feeling really made me feel bored playing those games, and I dont want the same to happen to probably the only game im looking forward to play this year. I really hope they give you the Thor hammer right at the start and let you at least fly around the combat arenas with it.

wljQzf.gif

Returnal looks awesome, great use of light and shadows and cool foliage and tentacle effects and punchy scenery destruction etc.

Returnal is doing some cool things with destruction and lighting, but the game overall does not look as good as GOW Ragnorak. The first two levels have this great thick atmosphere, but by level 3 it's all gone. Levels 4-6 feel relatively last gen.

Level 4 which is rebuilt from Level 1 but under different lighting conditions shows this. It looks ugly and all the changed was removed the thick layer of fog and changed the lighting. Game feels very uneven. The snowy level 5 doesnt look as good as the desert level either and the particle effects dont save it from looking mediocre at best. GOW's environments make it feel far more punchy.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The gameplay changes they have described in the interview dont seem to be significant. They are minor iterations I'd expect from a sequel 2 years in the making. This sequel has taken more than 4.5 years, basically as long as the original reboot did. For games that long in development and span generations, I expect bigger changes. See Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4, TLOU to TLOU2. Cory himself said that games are taking longer to make which is why he wanted to finish the story in 2 games instead of making it a trilogy. Well, that doesnt mean you have to settle for the same combat.

I also think messing with an already perfect combat system by tweaking things instead of overhauling the combat system with entirely new movests, weapons and abilities doesnt always work. See Ascension which simply turned its combat into a bizarre convoluted mess, and also HFW which needlessly tweaked existing systems and ended up with a less fun version of HZD. This is the problem with making 40 hour games. You cant just throw out a brand new combat system after just one game, but by making the games 40 hours or 4x longer than they were before, you've risked the combat feeling samey. GOW's combat didnt star feeling samey until GOW3 but we were only around 20 hours into the franchise. With the reboot, we've already been playing this combat for 40 hours. Though having new enemies might help keep it from feeling too samey. Didnt help for HFW, but SSM are better game designers.

The more I play TLOU2, the more I appreciate it. It's a game that didnt just use the new tech to improve the combat systems, but also completely enhanced the overall level design. So many of the levels are huge and sandboxish, they dont ever feel like small arena battles. I am surprised I ever disliked playing the game because of pacing issues. While GOW's combat system was as perfect as they come, it felt a bit rigid and tanky at times. The lack of hermes boots from 3 really limited mobility which i guess was by design. Still, I think TLOU2 increases mobility without sacrificing the grounded feel by the way of its motion matching systems, and new animations. I guess I expect ALL sony studios to borrow the motion matching tech from ND after the E3 2018 demo. GOW2 was just starting dev, they couldve used it knowing the damn sequel was going to take 4 years anyway.

I dunno. Playing HFW and Elden Ring back to back and and struggling to shake the samey feeling really made me feel bored playing those games, and I dont want the same to happen to probably the only game im looking forward to play this year. I really hope they give you the Thor hammer right at the start and let you at least fly around the combat arenas with it.

wljQzf.gif

wait a minute, theyve overhauled the combat from GOW 2018?

ryan reynolds hd GIF

It was great!....Hopefully it's not changed much and it still feels great and is improved like TLOU 1 to Part 2.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
wait a minute, theyve overhauled the combat from GOW 2018?

ryan reynolds hd GIF

It was great!....Hopefully it's not changed much and it still feels great and is improved like TLOU 1 to Part 2.
No i said they are tweaking things instead of overhauling the combat. You can read the details in the OP. I consider them minor tweaks to add more depth to the game, but that doesnt always work.

It looks like more of the same which for the people that liked the first one must feel like heaven. You can never get enough good blowjobs.

I on the other hand was less than impressed by GOW 2018 (love the original trilogy), since it’s not my type of game (too many press forward for mumbo jumbo dialog and I don’t like the Norse aesthetics - also hated the confusing menus for skills and armors and axe FX). They need to convince me to get it on launch day. I’m hoping for more diverse settings and less cutscenes.

It would also be awesome if they somehow bridge it with the old Greek mythology and architecture in some way.
This is the closure of the Norse story arc - also if you watch the original gameplay video there are centaurs in this game. As far as I am concerned Centaurs are NOT part of Norse, and actually all from the Greek Mythos. Not sure how a centaur ended up in the Norse lands. Also, I believe the next set of the stories is going to be set in Egypt but I could be wrong. I think there were some rumors about that at some point, unless they decide to visit Greece again. I would kill for a next-gen God of War to take place in Greece once again. But I am not sure if it will happen due to how God of War 3 ended.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This is the closure of the Norse story arc - also if you watch the original gameplay video there are centaurs in this game. As far as I am concerned Centaurs are NOT part of Norse, and actually all from the Greek Mythos. Not sure how a centaur ended up in the Norse lands. Also, I believe the next set of the stories is going to be set in Egypt, unless they decide to visit Greece again. I would kill for a next-gen God of War to take place in Greece once again. But I am not sure if it will happen due to how God of War 3 ended.
I'm 100% on board for Egypt if true.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Can't wait to crawl through caves, climb meaningless cliffs, squeeze through gaps, ride elevators, having boat rides for hundrets of times because of PS4s' HDD and its' streaming issues. Next to boy, most annoying part of GoW 2018.
ugh .... I blocked that out.

This is the closure of the Norse story arc - also if you watch the original gameplay video there are centaurs in this game. As far as I am concerned Centaurs are NOT part of Norse, and actually all from the Greek Mythos. Not sure how a centaur ended up in the Norse lands...
The thing is, Kratos doesn't belong in Greek or Norse mythology either, but it could be this. Or maybe it'll be explained as another dwarf collecting creatures from different places.

Top Bottom