• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Hypes Two "Year Definining" Announcements

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
UPDATE:

One of the two things was confirmed to be Modern Warfare 2 on this week's episode of the Bonus Round.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game Informer editor Andy McNamara just posted this on his Twitter.

Andy McNamara said:
In the last 24 hours I have seen 2 year defining things: one you will see shortly on our cover the other I can't speak of, both awesome
Source: http://twitter.com/GI_AndyMc/status/1733543019

Alright everyone, it's rampant speculation time!

I'll start us off with "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" and "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: DS Edition".

Edit:

Apparently OXM also is teasing a new major cover announcement. They also pretty much confirm that Tony Hawk is played with some kind of balance board peripheral. Supposedly it's Splinter Cell: Conviction. Thanks Butsomuch.

OXM said:
Also coming in the July issue is "hands"-on with the new Tony Hawk game with dev interview, plus a very big cover story on a huge franchise
Source: http://twitter.com/OXM/statuses/1743953989

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDAZELDA!?

Haunted said:
What the hell does year defining even mean. :/

I predict two sequels.

Year defining means that one experience that signals the specific year through the echelons of time and history...

Going by what is usually "year defining" to most gaming "journalists" I suspect these are going to be announcements that no one talks about 6 months after they happen. One is going to be about some big FPS, the other who knows. These "megatons" never end up being anything as such. I will honestly be surprised if its anything that is so significant that 10 years from now people will say yeah such and such defined the gaming world in 2009.

I hate gaming journalism.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Trico is the obvious other choice

Gravijah

Shin Johnpv said:
Going by what is usually "year defining" to most gaming "journalists" I suspect these are going to be announcements that no one talks about 6 months after they happen. One is going to be about some big FPS, the other who knows. These "megatons" never end up being anything as such. I will honestly be surprised if its anything that is so significant that 10 years from now people will say yeah such and such defined the gaming world in 2009.

I hate gaming journalism.

Thanks for ruining it, I'm gonna go cut my wrists now because you dehyped EVERYTHING.

Haunted

*Generic action game*

*Generic high profile exclusive*
Year defining.

Revelations said:
Year defining means that one experience that signals the specific year through the echelons of time and history...
And he is talking about two different projects. :p

glaurung

In vein of recent news, I'd say you can now physically teabag your frags thanks to 360's new motion sensing features.

ico_3_secret.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm gonna go with microsoft's camera thingie.

They're not adverse to revealing new hardware ahead of shows. A teaser in the magazine with full details and software at E3.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wasn't Nintendo's post Fiscal Results meeting today in Japan? That means it's already happened since it's evening time there, so I'd put speculation that it has something to do with Nintendo products.

Zelda and a the inFAMOUS Wii HD?

Edit: Actually, he said last 24 hours, so I guess one could be from Nintendo's thing, and another thing which wasn't...

Maybe Zelda Wii (see on cover) and the new PSP (can't talk about). Both are going to be big.

camineet

Banned
*Zelda Wii and it uses MotionPlus

*Apple's long-rumored console

*Wii HD

*major PS3 price cut

*Trico

*Microsoft's motion tech

It's certain to be at least ONE of those :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
camineet said:
*Zelda Wii and it uses MotionPlus

*Apple's long-rumored console

*Wii HD

*major PS3 price cut

*Trico

*Microsoft's motion tech

It's certain to be at least ONE of those :lol
Okay this list has grown from 2 to 6 items, gaining an item every time I refresh the thread. :lol

Sean

Banned
An interesting thing to keep in mind:

He says "2 year defining things" and NOT "2 year defining games" - dunno if I'm reading into that too much, but one of them can be a peripheral/hardware/service.

Sean said:

He says "2 year defining things" and NOT "2 year defining games" - dunno if I'm reading into that too much, but one of them can be a peripheral/hardware/service.

Yep, I expect one to be a game (MW2, which is the one he mentioned will be on the cover of their mag) and another to be with hardware related.

El-Suave

I can't get excited for anthing less than announcements that will change gaming forever. Year defining is kind of lame compared to that.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sean said:

Yep, exactly. I imagine one is a game (since we will see it on the cover) and one is a peripheral/device.

Which re-affirms my Zelda as the game (makes sense, since E3 is coming up, it'll be announced there, and GI will have the exclusive scoop), and a peripheral/device which then brings us to all of the rumored gaming devices/peripherals (Wii HD, Apple Console, PS3 Motion, 360 Motion, PSP GO!, PS3 Slim, 360 slim, etc.).

Actually, re-thinking, I'm pretty sure it's MW2. That will be the highest selling game this holiday, by a long shot, so I'm fairly certain that's it. But the hardware is what's going to eat me alive. The motion rumors for either HD console may be true, but I'd bank money on it being the PSP. Apple doesn't usually show stuff to the press early, and Wii HD is kind of far fetched, so yeah, my new prediction is MW2 and PSP Go!

Top Bottom