• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer January cover revealed: Destiny

Pretty boring game/cover but I guess I'll read it later today if I have nothing else to do. I just want to know if it's going to be anything deeper than another Borderlands game.

Well as long as it has an interesting narrative and universe, that's a good start.

density.gif

If Back the Future were remade, they'd travel 30 years into the past... to 1985.

Where does the time go?

(without a few fossils, there's no way to know)

btags

That's what happens since Titanfall is actually playable

I'd be skeptical about Destiny until we know more about the gameplay. Otherwise it'll just be another SWTOR just with less story

I agree. I am a huge fan of the Halo series so I know bungie can do some amazing work. but they have not shown enough gameplay of destiny for me to be interested. I still think it will turn out great, but I am not going to get hyped when there is currently nothing to get hyped about.

Hindle

Banned
Kind of like Infinity Ward losing developer hype the more they were funneled into Call of Duty instead of being given creative freedom.

It's strange they've used thier new creative freedom to basically make Borderlands. Plus, the AI for this actually looks to be a step back from Halo. I'd have thought they'd make advancements personally.

RulkezX

I'm disappointed that the press have decided to let Titanfall overshadow Destiny.

I listen to a couple of gaming podcasts and they never fail to mention how much people are looking forward to it, that it's the must-have next-gen title, that nothing compares to it, that it will sell XBones, etc.

And I think that Bungie is the better developer and they should have gotten the next-gen spotlight.

Oh, well.

I dunno , Destiny doesn't get much coverage on gaming forums either. In fact , I am kinda worried that this will be a relative flop.

Otoh we have cringy journos calling a CoD clone with mechs a "game changer" before it's even in beta *shrug*

Jarmel

Banned
Tells us quite a bit about some of the combat mechanics and you were specifically asking about mechanics.

We have no clue how the economy works, there is nothing about the hub world stuff, how restricted gameplay is inside a level, how the multiplayer aspects works(they say it's seamless which I highly highly doubt), or even how the powers work.

We have no clue how this would actually play.

There is not one once of excitement in my body for this.

Fortunately for you that still leaves room for an ounce of excitement for this.

What makes you disinterested in this title? Is it the genre, the concept or something else?

I look forward to Destiny.

Rad-

I dunno , Destiny doesn't get much coverage on gaming forums either. In fact , I am kinda worried that this will be a relative flop.

I'm sure hype will grow when they show more of the game. So far their demos have looked pretty disappointing though.

Madness

That's kinda my worry at this stage. We don't know how any of the game mechanics works.

It's a first person shooter with coop play in teams of 3. You can find loot and upgrade your weapons. Large scale battles that are public events during levels happen, and other gamers will help.

As for competitive, the few game play vids out show it very much like a CoD as opposed to halo, with its aim down sights, sprint, insta-kill melee knife, and a dash/slide mechanic.

Also, the different classes of humans have different powers/roles.

I'm disappointed that the press have decided to let Titanfall overshadow Destiny.

I listen to a couple of gaming podcasts and they never fail to mention how much people are looking forward to it, that it's the must-have next-gen title, that nothing compares to it, that it will sell XBones, etc.

And I think that Bungie is the better developer and they should have gotten the next-gen spotlight.

Oh, well.

I'm so disappointed people like some stuff more than other stuff.

I think Destiny looks kinda interesting, but I'm far more excited about the wall running, jet packing action of Titanfall, being made by the very people who created the insanity that was Modern Warfare 1/2.

Otoh we have cringy journos calling a CoD clone with mechs a "game changer" before it's even in beta *shrug*

It won't flop, just wait till Activision gets the marketing campaign going, then we'll get a better idea. They're betting a lot on it. Titanfall looks great, but the hype is very manufactured, akin to the treatment every COD of the last few years has gotten (the press treating it as the second coming). Titanfall also has the added advantage of being MS's big game. I mean, look at this way, what else does the X1 have? From the way people talk about it, I'd think it has nothing but Titanfall. People are using that game as a reason to own the console. Hence the attention. At this point, I have no idea what MS would have done without. I'm sure both games will be great, I'll be getting Titanfall on my PC, Destiny on PS4. Win-Win.

UNCMark

Banned
It's strange they've used thier new creative freedom to basically make Borderlands. Plus, the AI for this actually looks to be a step back from Halo. I'd have thought they'd make advancements personally.

I keep seeing the Borderlands comparisons. What makes people think that? Borderlands was completely playable in single player. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought this was online only.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
We have no clue how the economy works, there is nothing about the hub world stuff, how restricted gameplay is inside a level, how the multiplayer aspects works(they say it's seamless which I highly highly doubt), or even how the powers work.

We have no clue how this would actually play.

I don't think there will be much of an economy and the demo shows off MP, gameplay, and powers. I don't know what else you're looking for in those aspects, aside from details on the competitive MP.

VanWinkle

It SHOCKS me that we still know next to nothing about the competitive multi in this game. We're like 4-6 months from release! And that description from GI doesn't sound like there will be any in that either.

Xbox ones biggest seller

PS fans aint into this like the Halo base in xbox world

Do you have any shred of evidence in support of that whatsoever?

Xbox ones biggest seller

PS fans aint into this like the Halo base in xbox world

What? This will more PS4's than any other console (if any) because they are targeting that exact Halo crowd on 360. That's if they don't realise it's on 360 anyway but whatever.

Top Bottom