• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer June cover: Top 100 RPGs of All Time

eot

Banned
Skyrim is a shit buffet. It's full of things to choose from but all of it is mediocre at best. I don't know if I even need to get into it, the combat is obviously bad and so is the progression system that underlies it. There is hardly a single good quest line to be found in the hundreds of hours of content.

Some of this stuff would be fine in another game. Morrowind had bad combat too, but that's a game where you can actually role play and immerse yourself in the world. Skyrim doesn't have the world building or systems to support that. They just don't care about the details of the world making sense at all. It's winter land and people are running around in shorts in the snow. Come on.

At least they put Diablo 3 behind 1&2, thank god.

Kill3r7

Skyrim is a shit buffet. It's full of things to choose from but all of it is mediocre at best. I don't know if I even need to get into it, the combat is obviously bad and so is the progression system that underlies it. There is hardly a single good quest line to be found in the hundreds of hours of content.

Some of this stuff would be fine in another game. Morrowind had bad combat too, but that's a game where you can actually role play and immerse yourself in the world. Skyrim doesn't have the world building or systems to support that. They just don't care about the details of the world making sense at all. It's winter land and people are running around in shorts in the snow. Come on.

At least they put Diablo 3 behind 1&2, thank god.

I think these things are somewhat of a popularity contest and few RPGs have been more successful and popular than Skyrim. Also, to be fair Morrowind had god awful combat. Skyrim is to Morrowind as BB is to Witcher 3.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Every time I see Skies of Arcadia get respect, I get happy.

Then I get sad that we'll probably never get a sequel. It was met with such high acclaim, it was unique, and no sequel!

Lanrutcon

Congratulations to whoever set up that list.

The only way they could have pissed off more people is if they put Mario Cart at #1.

aravuus

Lmao. Doesn't look like this list is any better than IGN's, for the above mentioned F3 point and Skyrim being number one alone.

Im sorry but Odin Sphere isn't a rpg.

Like not at all.

Given that one or the other of these lists is including stuff like Monster Hunter and Stardew Valley, I think we've moved past the point of bothering to worry about what's actually an RPG.

A genre-based list is pointless without defining the genre in some meaningful way first.

FinalAres

I'm a big fan of FF7 personally, but seeing the game ranked similarly to Pokemon Red/Blue? Yeah that makes sense to me. I would argue that it should be above Tactics (that game is good but it has gigantic balance issues that people complained about since Day 1) but this list is so much more reasonable than that IGN one.

Also I don't mind Skyrim being top. You have to take in to account influence for these lists and Skyrim is a hugely popular, hugely influencial game.

Yarbskoo

The only way I'm okay with Skyrim being on top is if we take mods into account. Modded Skyrim blows away just about every other game on that list in terms of variety and value.

What I'm not okay with is Breath of the Wild. Why does this belong on the list but not any other Zelda game?

Also, they're missing the best Final Fantasy.

This is no doubt the result of ranking by committee. Most likely there were a lot of GI editors who took part in this while outside of Kim and Elise there's probably only a couple of editors who are best suited for such a task.

On a personal level, there are few games I despise more than Skyrim. And this is coming from someone who loves Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Sjefen

Well not my top ten that is for sure, Skyrim is a good game but Witcher 3 is better in every way imo. But still FF9 is my all time favorite RPG, LOVE that game

Lunar15

Skyrim's a real easy #1 just because when you do these lists by committee, it's the least offensive game. It does a ton of things that please a wide variety of people, it just doesn't really do any of them exceptionally well. Witcher 3 may have way better writing, but the combat is so hit or miss with people.

jWILL253

Banned
Why did Fable II, Destiny & all three Mass Effects rank on this list, but Final Fantasy IX didn't?

Why did Fable II, Destiny & all three Mass Effects rank on this list, but Final Fantasy IX didn't?

Why did Fable II, Destiny & all three Mass Effects rank on this list, but Final Fantasy IX didn't? Why did Fable II, Destiny & all three Mass Effects rank on this list, but Final Fantasy IX didn't? Why did Fable II, Destiny & all three Mass Effects rank on this list, but Final Fantasy IX didn't? Why did Fable II, Destiny & all three Mass Effects rank on this list, but Final Fantasy IX didn't? Why did Fable II, Destiny & all three Mass Effects rank on this list, but Final Fantasy IX didn't? Why did Fable II, Destiny & all three Mass Effects rank on this list, but Final Fantasy IX didn't? Why did Fable II, Destiny & all three Mass Effects rank on this list, but Final Fantasy IX didn't? Why did Fable II, Destiny & all three Mass Effects rank on this list, but Final Fantasy IX didn't? Why did Fable II, Destiny & all three Mass Effects rank on this list, but Final Fantasy IX didn't? Why did Fable II, Destiny & all three Mass Effects rank on this list, but Final Fantasy IX didn't? Why did Fable II, Destiny & all three Mass Effects rank on this list, but Final Fantasy IX didn't?

なぜFable II、Destiny、そして3つのMass Effectがこのリストにランクインしたのですか?しかし、Final Fantasy IXはそうではありませんでしたか?

W h y d i d F a b l e I I, D e s t i n y & a l l t h r e e M a s s E f f e c t s r a n k o n t h i s l i s t, b u t F i n a l F a n t a s y I X d i d n ' t?

This list is god awful. Holy crap. Skyrim at #1 and Xenogears not even in the top 25.
PSk7yIV.gif

giphy.gif

Xenosaga Ep. 1 being higher than Xenogears is... something.

Did I really just see Xenosaga Episode I placed above Xenogears?

Game Informer never changes lol.

EDIT: I just noticed that Xenosaga Episode III, clearly the best game in the Xenosaga series, isn't even on the list.

Ne7aenG4oM1Py.gif

Glad I'm not the only one.
Someone didn't play or finish any of these games.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Is the criteria based on nostalgia?
Because there's no way that Red and Blue should be the highest Pokemon games. They've been outclassed and refined in every proceeding installment.

Witcher 3 continues to be this generations most over rated game. Horizon criminally low.

Agreed.

I'm glued to Horizon. I can't explain how many times I've picked up TW3 and tried my best to enjoy it... but I inevitably shelve it for something else.

Boring and complete ass combat/gameplay.

This list is beyond shit anyway. Skyrim #1 is an absolute joke.

Lister

Banned
Agreed.

I'm glued to Horizon. I can't explain how many times I've picked up TW3 and tried my best to enjoy it... but I inevitably shelve it for something else.

Boring and complete ass combat/gameplay.

This list is beyond shit anyway. Skyrim #1 is an absolute joke.

Horizon is barely an RPG. It's more of an action adventure game set in an open world with RPG elements. Skyrim is a hell of a lot more of an RPG.

Especially when it comes to the quality of the writing and the narrative agency, Witcher has that in droves, while Horizon is your typical passive, on rails storytelling that you see in games like Uncharted.

I'll grant you combat is kinda garbage in Witcher.

Horizon is barely an RPG. It's more of an action adventure game set in an open world with RPG elements. Skyrim is a hell of a lot more of an RPG.

Especially when it comes to the quality of the writing and the narrative agency, Witcher has that in droves, while Horizon is your typical passive, on rails storytelling that you see in games like Uncharted.

I'll grant you combat is kinda garbage in Witcher.

I'll agree TW3 has Horizon beat in terms of "fantasy novel" feel, but damn, it just bores me more than reading a book. I keep trying to like it and play it but keep failing. And I adore games like Baldur's Gate 2, that are essentially playable novels.

But Horizon is listed as an RPG so I give the better RPG grade to it over TW3 because its simply IMO more fun and more "epic" in feel (with good to great combat).

Skyrim just bored me to tears as well. Yet I love Morrowind. I can't quite pin down why there either.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd be interested if Famitsu ever did a list like this, this list has too many MMOs and western RPGs which I'm just not into, and some games that really stretch the definition of RPG (System Shock 2, Eve Online, Mass Effect 2). At least Star Ocean 2, Valkyrie Profile, and one of the Phantasy Stars made the list. But no Ys games? And DQ games so low?

Josh5890

I am legitimately shocked that a Phantasy Star from the Sega Genesis days made the list.

In what universe is Skyrim #1?

Were they cashing checks while making this list?

Getting ready for the Skyrim Switch marketing push in a few months.

Feeroper

Wow! This is a great list!

Its very tough to pick a #1 game for an RPG and an argument could be made for many games here. If I had to pick my personal #1 it would probably be Baldur's Gate 2, but Skyrim is certainly very worthy.

The only thing I find strange is the inclusion of games like Horizon - great game, but its a stretch to call it an RPG in my opinion. Oh well, its just a list for fun either way.

Is the criteria based on nostalgia?
Because there's no way that Red and Blue should be the highest Pokemon games. They've been outclassed and refined in every proceeding installment.

I'd personally only put Gold/Silver and Sun/Moon over them. I like Platinum, but I just don't remember it as fondly as the aforementioned games.

I'm not a big fan of Gen 3 or 5, and I straight up dislike Gen 6. Even though these games are mechanically superior to Gen 1, I would not rank them highly on a RPG of all time list.

So, nostalgia obviously plays a part.

Wedzi

Banned
The Witcher 3 is the Lebron James of RPGs. We'll keep inching it closer to the front year after year but we all know it's already the GOAT.

Top Bottom