• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer March Cover: Rise of the Tomb Raider

More stuff from the article.

- At least two different locations across the globe.
- Jonah is back from the first game
- Environment itself as the main antagonist.
- Cloth and herb to heal wounds.
- More than one of each weapon type.
- Variety of bows with different attributes.
- Weather system that animals and human enemies react to.
- Not sure if they confirmed a day night cycle or not, they mentioned "animals reacting to" time of day.
- Hub areas are two to three times bigger than previous game.
- Lara can climb trees, hide in bushes, swim.
- Pushing for pre planning aspect to engaging in combat, though sneaking past everyone isnt the goal.
- Tools for distracting enemies and luring them where you want them.
- You can lose the enemies after engaging them.
- Game informer says combat reminds them of the Last of Us.
- CD talks about doing more with tombs and puzzles this time around.
thats-good.gif

- At least two different locations across the globe.
- Jonah is back from the first game
- More than one of each weapon type.
- Variety of bows with different attributes.
- Not sure if they confirmed a day night cycle or not, they mentioned "animals reacting to" time of day.
- Pushing for pre planning aspect to engaging in combat, though sneaking past everyone isnt the goal.
- Tools for distracting enemies and luring them where you want them.

Bolded has me very, very excited.

Especially the news about more tombs and puzzles.

Bring it on!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am not inclined to buy this given that I don't support the notion of moneyhatting.

Of course I say that now and will probably get it anyway, because I am just a tool.

nib95

Banned
Forza Horizon 2 says hello.

This is a somewhat different situation though. Two different engines were used, and it was developed by two entirely different studios. I doubt Tomb Raider will be the same situation, though it is possible. More than likely it'll be using the same engine in both versions, only with the Xbox One version having more bells and whistles, like every other cross gen game released on these new consoles so far. That's not to say it can't or won't look amazing, but there is more likely to be some lost potential there on the graphics and tech side.

If it is on two different engines for either version, developed by two different teams, then hurrah!

Toki767

See my thinking is at this point, it is exclusive to Xbox/PC in the west with a Japan/eastern PS4 port later. That way no one is really lying, just lot of blurred lines. Regardless I am pumped for this game.

That would be incredibly silly as there are just a little over 1 million PS4s sold in Japan.

That would be my bet.

I hope this is the case. Either way, I loved the new Tomb Raider and if this is just as good I don't care if it's cross gen..

Good news!

According to GI, Nixxes is doing the 360 port. CD is focused on the Xbox One, and they claim they're doing it without even thinking of the 360 version.

This is a pipe dream and you know it.

I know, but I'll hold onto the sliver of hope that it might happen. I just want the game to go back to its roots in terms of puzzles and exploration.

Ralemont

not me

Everything else sounded pretty great, but I have to ask why this can't be a goal? Must there be one goal for every encounter? What if I need more clothes because I'm low on health? If I'm high on arrows I might choose to engage. Or maybe I bypass the encounter hoping to find a cache somewhere to replenish my reserves in another way. Give me multiple ways to survive!

At the very least, let me use stealth to finish every encounter like the Last of Us. Implementing stealth mechanics and then requiring firefights for many encounters feels half-baked (Evil Within).

Ninjimbo

I sincerely hope the writer is mistaken. Very mistaken. Tomb Raider's combat was already ahead of something like the TLOU. Maybe they just mean the approach to combat or something, but if the moment to moment gameplay is like TLOU it would be a step back. Lara needs to be fast and agile and nothing like Joel.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I'd love to see some gameplay...nothing but cutscenes so far.

I loved the last Tomb Raider more than any other TR game before it, including TR1, my first 3Dfx game, but I think the cries of "Day 1" are somewhat unwarranted at this point :)

Alxjn

From the puzzle part of the article.

- Want greater emphasis on puzzles this time.
- Talk of 'nested puzzles' returning from past Tomb Raider games; multi-stage puzzles.
- CD wants to integrate combat and traversal challenges into the puzzles.
- Still aiming to have the puzzles make sense in a realistic setting.

Servbot24

Banned
Exactly this. If it was never coming to PS4 MS would have let us know as much by now.

Saying that the PS4 version will probably come after the PC version, which I'll probably just pick up in a steam sale or something. The first wasn't too good being honest, very much a steam sale kinda game and that's what I'm expecting from this.

Same here. First game was serviceable, but waaay too flawed to buy the sequel day 1 (unless it gets incredible reviews). The Ubisoft style maps I'm reading about is also a huge turnoff. More puzzles is good though. So we'll wait and see.

This is a somewhat different situation though. Two different engines were used, and it was developed by two entirely different studios. I doubt Tomb Raider will be the same situation. More than likely it'll be using the same engine in both versions, only with the Xbox One version having more bells and whistles, like every other cross gen game released on these new consoles so far. That's not to say it can't or won't look amazing, but there is more likely to be some lost potential there on the graphics and tech side.

Eh, people made the exact same argument for Horizon 2 and look how that turned out.

It's far more likely that they'll use the reboot engine on 360 and a more advanced or new engine on X1 than the scenario you're putting forward.

We already have confirmation that Nixxes is working on the last gen version, that pretty much confirms to be that they'll be using the last gen engine for the 360 version and it'll be missing a helluva lot of features that will be X1 only.

Good news!

I know, but I'll hold onto the sliver of hope that it might happen. I just want the game to go back to its roots in terms of puzzles and exploration.

Maybe in terms of exploration yes, as for the puzzling like the good ol days I dunno..I'd like to be proven wrong though

I sincerely hope the writer is mistaken. Very mistaken. Tomb Raider's combat was already ahead of something like the TLOU. Maybe they just mean the approach to combat or something, but if the moment to moment gameplay is like TLOU it would be a step back. Lara needs to be fast and agile and nothing like Joel.

Maybe in terms of how AI reacts to Lara in combat situations? Flanking, etc?

- Talk of 'nested puzzles' returning from past Tomb Raider games; multi-stage puzzles.

Oh my god.

YES! YES! YES! YES!

jbttwin

The article mentions things like crafting gas bombs and molotov cocktails/grenades during combat so that could be where they're getting TLOU from.

That statement excites me either way though so it's a win-win for me.

Maybe in terms of exploration yes, as for the puzzling like the good ol days I dunno..I'd like to be proven wrong though

Some potentially great news right there. Although I won't go overboard in my excitement until I see some footage of said puzzles.

Hub areas 2-3x bigger sounds perfect to me if "hub area" = what I imagine. I'd probably actually like them to only be twice the size. Anything too big and I'll just end up lost or annoyed. I sure would like some more fun exploration this time around though, however big the areas are.

Agree that Lara needs to be fast and agile.

Disagree that the combat was "ahead" of the TLoU. That's subjective to the gameplay design.

Hoje0308

Banned

I was planning on waiting for the PS4 release to pick up the X1 version on the cheap, but...
shut-up-and-take-my-money-anime-version_o_646840.gif

Ascenion

That would be incredibly silly as there are just a little over 1 million PS4s sold in Japan.

Yeah it is silly but let's be real here.....are they even releasing the Xbox versions in Japan? because I feel like PS4 has likely outsold 360 and Xbox One combined in Japan.

nib95

Banned
Eh, people made the exact same argument for Horizon 2 and look how that turned out.

It's far more likely that they'll use the reboot engine on 360 and a more advanced or new engine on X1 than the scenario you're putting forward.

We already have confirmation that Nixxes is working on the last gen version, that pretty much confirms to be that they'll be using the last gen engine for the 360 version and it'll be missing a helluva lot of features that will be X1 only.

Most last gen versions of cross gen games are missing lots of features or bells and whistles comparative to the next gen version. That's not really the issue. The question is whether the next gen version of RotTR will be made on an engine built from the ground up for, and only for the next gen systems, and the game designed as such, or whether it is simply an updated version of the previous engine. I mean, you can see the differences in approach in something like the engine Ubisoft used for Unity, comparative to the one they used for Black Flags. Likewise with FH2 on the Xbox One (which is based off the F5 engine) compared to FH2 on the 360 (which is based on the F4 engine). But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Alxjn

Everything else sounded pretty great, but I have to ask why this can't be a goal? Must there be one goal for every encounter? What if I need more clothes because I'm low on health? If I'm high on arrows I might choose to engage. Or maybe I bypass the encounter hoping to find a cache somewhere to replenish my reserves in another way. Give me multiple ways to survive!

At the very least, let me use stealth to finish every encounter like the Last of Us. Implementing stealth mechanics and then requiring firefights for many encounters feels half-baked (Evil Within).

They wrote "the goal will rarely be for lara to sneak past...", so I don't know, I agree with you though. Hopefully they don't force you into combat 100% of the time.

I don't remember being able to stealth past every encounter in the last of us though. There were a few where you were forced to engage.

I still can't believe this is cross gen.

Still gonna have to get it. Had alpt of fun with DE. Kinda wish they wouldn't be so shady about its "exclusive" status. I'd prefer to buy all SP games on PS4 and leave the MP for XB1.

Either way, I hope they show off a lot soon so Naughty Dog can have some competition and both games come out great

Alxjn

Well, the Last of Us wasn't the first to have this 'improv-style' combat, that's just become the go to comparison now. They also compared Lara to Snake.

nib95

Banned

This is great, I enjoyed the puzzles in TR, but there were too few of them, and they were more of a side addition than anything truly intrinsic to the game.

Pro

Story-wise this was much of the case in part one so I dig it even more so if it will play a bigger role in the actual game play.

Swimming was something a lot of people wanted after the first game was released.

Also another aspect a lot of people wanted. Sounds like CD has been genuinely listening to the feedback and taking steps to implement it. Good for you CD.

Ninjimbo

The article mentions things like crafting gas bombs and molotov cocktails/grenades during combat so that could be where they're getting TLOU from.

That statement excites me either way though so it's a win-win for me.
If it's that, then I'm okay. That's pretty much a standard now in AAA games these days and I like having the options. I just don't want my movements to be limited.

kpaadet

Uncharted 4 seems like a different beast than the others, though. I think Naughty Dog learned a lot from The Last of Us. The story will likely be better than RotTR's as well. Because of all of this, the two games will really differentiate themselves from one another, and that's a good thing IMO.
If this turns out to be true, then I hope Phil Spencer can get his money back considering he wanted to buy a "Uncharted-like" game.

Top Bottom