• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer March Cover: Rise of the Tomb Raider

Mr White

Siberia. Interesting. I will hope they wouldn't fuck this up with poor Russia representation. I am cautiously optimistic about this game mostly because I enjoyed TR2013 more than Uncharted games. Still there was too much action and not enough adventure.

Toa TAK

Banned
B88fZPlIQAAm3oT.jpg

I saw this on Twitter but not in the thread. Legit?

I'm willing to bet that's a cutscene (in-engine). I wanna see more in-game Lara.

Prine

Banned
I hate to admit it, but I remember so little of the last game's characters that I have no clue who Jonah even was.

Sounds good. Bolded is the only concern I have. This sounds like an excuse for the unimaginative excrement we got in the first game.

Disagree, having a puzzle there that serves as some form of environmental/naritive purpose is a powerful tool. Adds to the satisfaction of discorvery and I guess, conquering.

Nothing worse then a story driven game that includes elements that makes no sense.

You are likely right about this and that it will be on playstation however, you keep stating things as fact like they have been confirmed. I don't get it. I see nothing except unsubtle hints about it coming to other platforms. Why say these things in a way to give the the impressions they are confirmed?

She has insider information regarding SE, so if she's stating something as a fact it's most likely is a fact.

well, at least there's at least a ps4 dev kit turned on in the video

They aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

Lady Gaia

With a little iterative refinement the rebooted Tomb Raider could be an incredibly solid series this generation. If Rise proves to be a great title and there's a slim Xbox One offering by this Fall I'd be at least tempted. I wouldn't jump just for this game, but if there are some legitimate exclusives that grab my eye and a hardware bundle with this title? That might do the trick.

More puzzles sounds great. Weapon variety is nice. An emphasis on tombs seems like a requirement for the fan base and I don't think they need to turn into huge, sprawling dungeons. Just integrate them into the plot enough that they don't feel like a purely optional afterthought.

Disagree, having a puzzle there that serves as some form of environmental/naritive purpose is a powerful tool. Adds to the satisfaction of discorvery and I guess, conquering.

Nothing worse then a story driven game that includes elements that makes no sense.

It can and should be done well. What we got in the first game was "kick this bucket and the cage drops down - PUZZLE SOLVED." When something is that inane or obvious, it breaks my immersion and suspension of disbelief just as much as if a genie popped out of my ass and pulled a lever.

zychi

Banned
More tombs please. Less snow covered gear for Lara.

This is coming to PC right? Even tho it's an xbox "exclusive?"

Apathy

I hate to admit it, but I remember so little of the last game's characters that I have no clue who Jonah even was.

Sounds good. Bolded is the only concern I have. This sounds like an excuse for the unimaginative excrement we got in the first game.

I would be happy if I would step into an thousand year old unopened tomb and there weren't any lights and fresh fruit in it. That simple change would make me happy

There's no world where this game does't hit PS4 / PC. The one thing we know for sure is that it'll be Xbox exclusive for at least Holiday 2015. My bet is it lands between March - June the following year elsewhere.

I would be happy if I would step into an thousand year old unopened tomb and there weren't any lights and fresh fruit in it. That simple change would make me happy

Well, in the first game's defense, the island's "tombs" were inhabited, so it at least made sense even if thematically it does diminish the sense of isolation and danger.

Apathy

Well, in the first game's defense, the island's "tombs" were inhabited, so it at least made sense even if thematically it does diminish the sense of isolation and danger.

I just meant in general with any game that has unopened tombs, even this new TR game. It's a huge pet peeve

Spazznid

Are you joking? Like really, you must be joking.

Let's break it down: "I'm buying my firends DE copy of 2013 TR"

He is buying a copy of TR 2013 from his friend for $8.

But he never played his PS+ one, which I assumed meant PS4 sale because...well I've not slept in a while...

Chobel

I'm guessing the game will be 60fps, I mean the graphics aren't that impressive, plus 60fps will be really suited for this game.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
But he never played his PS+ one, which I assumed meant PS4 sale because...well I've not slept in a while...

Yes, he never played the PS+ version of TR 2013 that came out only on the PS3 (not the PS4). He is going to buy the DE (Definitive Edition) for PS4/XBO off his friend because he never played it.

Get some rest haha, hope that cleared it up.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I'm guessing the game will be 60fps, I mean the graphics aren't that impressive, plus 60fps will be really suited for this game.

Doubt it. The graphics look better than DE to me, so I'm guessing 1080p 30fps considering the DE didn't use the Kinect reserve and was 1080p.

gafneo

Banned
The 2nd game seems like it's really a remake of part 1. You are in a snowy environment, can use duel pistols, shoot bears.

I need to read more. Hopefully it starts off in a similar tomb. I love a game with nods.

Chobel

Doubt it. The graphics look better than DE to me, so I'm guessing 1080p 30fps considering the DE didn't use the Kinect reserve and was 1080p.

It's bold part why I'm thinking it will be 60fps, not solid 60 fps though (just like TRDE PS4 version).

Well, they should've known about that before they signed the deal. DE sold like twice as much on PS4, TR is normally seen as a PS game, and TR isn't the type of game the Xbox audiance gravitates to, and UC4 is coming out, apperently, around the same time frame.... Yea, good luck SE.

As for the game, maybe this time it won't be entirely forgettable. If I can come out of it remember at least one thing from it, it'll be an improvement. Fun gameplay sure, a nice little rental, but everything else was pretty mediocre (Story and characters). With it on 360, the visuals will probably also not be as great as they could be. And with it being only on X1 we may not be able to play this in 1080 for a few months.

I'll wait a few months for the PS4 release, if it doesn't happen within 6 months I'll pick it up on the cheap for X1

where's your source that TR sold twice as well on ps4 than on xbone?

Top Bottom