• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Mass Effect 3 Details, Try 2 [Update 3: Even More Details]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Things you should not do in this thread:

-Post pictures of Krogan testicles and/or anuses.
-Post Garrus/Shepard hentai.
-Post 800lb, 18 boobed Tali art.
-Post pictures of Shepard having sex with a Hanar.
-Post anything else from the hard drives of Chinner, nubbe, Snuggler, or EatChildren.
-Generally, avoid anything in the last few pages of this thread.

Update 3:

Here is the Game Informer Hub Page: http://www.gameinformer.com/p/masseffect3.aspx

-You start off with most of your powers from ME2.
-"Shepard can now shoot pieces off of certain enemies to slow them down or reduce their combat effectiveness."
-You can now pick up enemy weapons (assuming they're not melee given the other quotes).
-"We are treating space cinematics and space combat differently and on a bigger scale than ever before."
-Melee attacks play a larger role, with each class having a unique one as well.

me3-3cmz6.png

Update 2:

-One other note that's not below. The art design, especially for the enemies, looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay the hell different than previous games.

EatChildren said:
Here's all the bits and pieces from the article that isn't in the op:

- Most, if not all, major characters will return in some form. There will be select major characters for squadmates, while other characters will be temporary squadmates for singular missions (think like Liara in Lair of the Shadow Broker). Others will return in other roles
- Because of the above, those 'confirmed' characters (Liara, Garrus, etc) are not confirmed as permiment squad members. It just says they are playabe to some extent, so they could be for singular missions.
- 'Full scale war' feel to the game, about as 'dark' as ME2, though they consider ME2 to be 'sylised' dark or whatever the hell that means, while ME3 will be 'dark' in the sense that there is a huge war and a sense of hopelessness.
- Some key plot element that will reveal why the Reapers can be defeated. Dont want to reveal it until the game is out. Dont want the way the Reapers can be defeated obvious from the start. Want the progression of the game to give red herrings and a flow of information, so it starts hopeless but you slowly work out what needs to be done.
- As with the above, the reason TIM and Cerberus are after you is another plot element they want kept secret.
- Recruit the races woop woop. Most races dont want to join because they dont want to be ruined by the Reapers. Most races caught up in their own shit. EG: Visit Salarian homeworld, they're stuck in a conflict regarding the Genophage. Quarians trying to take back their homeworld. Shepard must try and find a way to resolve these conflicts to get the best support.
- Solutions to the above wont be easy or obvious, and based on past choices may even be impossible.
- NG+ sound similar to ME2. Can continue playing, but can also 'loop back around' and do stuff over again.
- Shepard can roll, and can vault over obsticles without going into cover first. 'Peak' feature tweaked. Ladders for climbing up to higher areas. Notably bigger battlefields.
- Smarter AI that can 'plan' certain attacks on Shepard. BioWare feel that with the way ME2/ME3's combat is they need to compete with all the other shooters in the market, so improvements have to be made.
- Game cinematics want to focus on the sense of scale, of both the Reapers and the war. Lots of big moments. Aforementioned Thresher Maw Vs. Reaper is an example.
- Vehicles will be similar to ME2; not built into the main path of the game, but may return in some form as extras.
- Scanning is back but 'wont be at at all like ME2'.
- Dynamics of how choices effect the flow of the game more like the ending sequence of ME2 rather than the actual ME2 game, as in you'll make choices and see the differences quicker (or so they're promising). Quicker referencing of choices in the engine.
- People still dont believe Shepard that the Reapers are coming. They attack New York, London, Japan and others first.
- Earth is basically the first place the Reapers lay the smack down too, but they're spreading to other areas and shitting on everyone's parade.
- New Normandy, which is really a stripped and altered Normandy 2 by the Alliance.
- Dont feel that there is a 'missing out on content' feel to the game if you happen to make decisions in previous games. No one play through necessarily 'better' than the other, just different.
- ME3 will be more difficult than ME2.
- BioWare want to make a Mass Effect MMO.

And thats about it.
End Update 2

Details (Courtesy of GameFAQs):

-Squadmates BioWare said are "playable to some extent": Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus (if alive), and a new guy called James Sanders who is not the guy from the trailer.
-James Sanders however does share a last name with prominent novel character Kahlee Sanders, a human who is a First Lieutenant in the Systems Alliance and works with Anderson.
-Characters Game Informer saw or heard: Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson.
-Also present: The Illusive Man and Udina.
-The game starts out with Shepard on trial due to what happened in the Arrival DLC. During the trial, Reapers invade Earth, and Shepard fights his way through husks of various species to the Normandy.
-In one of the screenshots, you can see what looks like a Batarian husk, and also what looks like a Rachni husk in another screenshot.
-There are also screenshots of Ashley, Liara, Kaiden, and Shepard. Ashley now has long hair and an outfit similar to Miranda, while Kaiden and Liara don't look too different, though you could say Kaiden looks a bit more rugged.
-The Illusive Man once again plays a prominent roll, and he is out to kill Shepard for unknown reasons.
-There are now more RPG elements in the game. Two examples given are given below:
--1.) Skill trees are larger and powers evolve several times, offering more freedom in choice.
--2.)Weapon mods also return, but function differently than Mass Effect 1. They allow you to swap out scopes, barrels, and more, which effect the combat performance and appearance of weapons in unspecified ways.
-There is still a pre-determined set of weapons in the game a la Mass Effect 2.
-All classes can now wield all weapons, however, the type of class you play determines how many weapons you can use. Only the soldier can carry all four at once, but exact counts for the other classes were not given.
-The game will have numerous endings, some which are good and some which are bad. Which characters you have in your squad and which allies you decide to recruit can have a drastic effect on which endings are available.
-There will be no multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, but it will be in future Mass Effect mainline games and/or spin-offs.

Also, from the BioWare forums we know that BioWare will try not to spoil the entire game in the marketing campaign this time.

Update 1:

-More screens from the magazine have shown up revealing Cerberus shock troopers, who are bulky, fully armored space marines. They seem to be armed with weapons including stun battons, shotguns, assault rifles, and rocket boots.
-A picture of Captain Anderson is also seen. He is now dressed like Sergeant Johnson from Halo, but with lighter armor that has a more Mass Effect feel.

Speedymanic said:
Set-piece spoiler...

Only other thing I realized I left out is that they watched a video of a segment involve a krogan vehicle train with Shepard riding along, and as it goes a Reaper comes down from the sky to attack. Shepard's vehicle is destoryed, and fighting the thing is impossible on foot. Then a Thresher Maw comes out of the ground and attacks the Reaper. The Thresher gets the upper hand by coiling itself around the Reaper, then drags it underground. It gets quiet, and seems to be over, then laser fire begins erupting from the ground, and Shepard decides this is a good place not to be.

:eek:
EatChildren said:
EmCeeGramr said:
BTW, apparently the books now state that
Anderson left the Council LOL CHOICES
and hint that
TIM is at least partially indoctrinated hahahaha
The books make it canon that
Anderson was never on the council to begin with. Udina is instead, and Anderson some other smaller role. Throughout the story and at the end he teams up with Kahlee to stop the half Reaper man, and choses to resign from his position on the council (whatever it is).
Nils said:
Regarding TIM
the current comics establish he was exposed to a Reaper artifact during the First Contact war but hasn't really shown how exactly it has affected him yet.

talijarrettjt8m.png

End Update 1

And here's the magazine cover:

may2011cover1280.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Nirolak said:
-Post anything else from the hard drives of Chinner, nubbe, Snuggler, EatChildren, or EmCeeGramr.
But the prize.

-Post pictures of Krogan testicles or anuses.
-Post anything else from the hard drives of Chinner, nubbe, Snuggler, EatChildren, or EmCeeGramr.

Aww! The other thread got stopped just as it was gettin hot.

Anyways. Sounds like an improvement over ME2. Looking forward to it.

Ferrio

Banned
Nirolak said:

So perfectly proportioned nude tali pictures is a-okay? Cause man... we could use some.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thank you!

Nirolak said:

I'm thinking it's a good thing I missed out on that thread.

But the news sounds pretty cool.

Its too early to judge how the characters look based on the poor quality of the scans. At least to me Ashely doesn't look that different other than the hair.

Really this is the one issue of a video magazine I would be willing to buy if I could do so.

HEY GUYS I HEARD THERE'S ELCOR STRIPPERS NOW

Sounds really interesting. The returning character selection makes me hope this won't be a fan-wanky throw-everyone-in-there affair, but I kinda trust Bioware with that stuff. Does the article mention anything about the planets Shepard visits, bar Earth?

scarybore

Since it's not mentioned in the OP, there was stuff about a Thresher Maw attacking a Reaper but maybe the dude is taking the piss.

I wish I had a lol smiley right about now.

bigace33

"The Illusive Man once again plays a prominent roll, and he is out to kill Shepard for unknown reasons." lol I know why he wants to kill my Shepherd. Paragon 4Life

yo i don't keep that shit on my hard drive (and didn't post anything in that thread)

may2011cover1280.jpg

All I can see is angry Shepard looking out into space for some Reapers to punch, oblivious to the invasion behind him.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'M BROODING!!! BROOOOOOOOOD!!!! I'M BROODING BECAUSE I'M GOING TO SAVE ALL THE THINGS OVER WHICH I BROOOOOOD *evanescence plays*

MaddenNFL64

Yay. Ya, Ash doesn't look different outside of the hair, just looks great. Let that hair down girl!

Maybe she left the Alliance to join you?

Dennis

Banned
Nirolak said:
Success!

Nirolak recognizes that I am not like those freaks!

V_Ben

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I'M BROODING!!! BROOOOOOOOOD!!!! I'M BROODING BECAUSE I'M GOING TO SAVE ALL THE THINGS OVER WHICH I BROOOOOOD *evanescence plays*

BRIIIIIIING MEEEEEE TOOOOO LIIIIIIIIIFEEEEEEE.

Y2Kev said:
"All these Reapers behind me are making me so angry. Maybe if I stand out here in space some more I won't have to look at them."

KingDizzi

Banned
Snuggler bought a pocket full of epic in that last thread, just went uphill after that. Went from a boring thread to one which will be remembered.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So from this info the characterization of cerberus is reverting back to ME1?

Door2Dawn

Banned
HK-47 had to open his big mouth. Sigh.

Well anyway. I hope the ME3 would be as boring as the first and second. One of the main reasons why I never finished them.

Monocle

I thought Nirolak was joking about the naughty pictures but then I checked the other thread and found out he was not joking. People really do draw pictures of Krogan assholes. Why do people draw pictures of Krogan assholes?

LiK

Monocle said:
I thought Nirolak was joking about the naughty pictures but then I checked the other thread and found out he was not joking. People really do draw pictures of Krogan assholes. Why do people draw pictures of Krogan assholes?

let's not analyze insanity.

Gravijah

so jack has those lines in her eyebrow, but i cant see any scars... does that mean she shaved them in, 90s style?

Inorigo said:
I was wondering where the old thread went... Apparently a good discussion derailed pretty quickly.

good discussion? when did that ever happen?

Zeliard

Monocle said:

Par for the Internet

Zeal said:
i liked working for Cerberus, man. why they wanna kill me now.

they gave me awesome goodies.
The same reason that you could hate Cerberus in ME1 but had no major problems working for them in ME2.

jintek

Banned
To be honest all I need is Wrex and Garrus on my team, their arguing is priceless. Plus, Wrex is the greatest!

Top Bottom