• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May 2008 Issue - Reviews, Etc.

30uy2w3.jpg

Gears 2 info moved here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273749

Scores out of 10, second opinions listed... second.

Dark Sector (PS3, 360) 7.5 / 8.25
Viking: Battle for Asgard (PS3, 360) 7.25 / 5.5
Sega Superstars Tennis (PS3, 360, Wii) 7.25 / 7.5
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3, 360) 7.75 / 8
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (PS3) 8 / 8.75
MLB 08: The Show (PS3) 8.5 / 8.25 *GAME of the MONTH
Persona 3: FES (PS2) 8.25
Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis (PS2) 7
Okami (Wii) 9.25 / 8.5
Obscure: The Aftermath (Wii, PS2, PC) 3
Destroy All Humans: Big Willy Unleashed (Wii) 5
Worms: A Space Oddity (Wii) 6.75
Major League Baseball 2K8 (Wii) 6.75
Castle of Shikigami III (Wii) 6.5
Command & Conquer 3: Kane’s Wrath (PC) 7.75 / 8
Lost Empire: Immortals (PC) 7.25 / 7.5
Seven Kingdoms: Conquest (PC) 4 / 5
The World Ends With You (DS) 8.25 / 8 *HANDHELD GAME of the MONTH
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (DS) 7.75 / 8
Wild Arms XF (PSP) 7.5 / 6
Lost in Blue 3 (DS) 6.25
Teenage Zombies (DS) 6.75
Puchi Puchi Virus (DS) 7.5
FlatOut Head On (PSP) 7.5
Insecticide (DS) 5.75

Loose Talk:

Sony developing a Wiimote like device internally being called the Waggle. Likely to be packed in with a game. Full functionality not known at this time, but it will contain motion sensing. Sony's Waggle will not require a sensor bar or be based on IR.

Activision cleaning house. All future projects at Sierra are being reviewed (we knew this already).

Road Rash rumor... is this the secret game being developed by Starbreeze Studios for EA?

Cool article titled "What If" which poses the following questions to the game minds listed. They respond with what they would do with the series. Worth reading for sure!
- What if PETE WANAT made the next TOMB RADIDER
- What if TODD HOWARD made the next FINAL FANTASY
- What if TED PRICE made the next ROCK BAND
- What if JASON RUBIN made the next RESIDENT EVIL

Goddamn, I want to play TWEWY

Could the Okami scores be anymore confusing? Nintendo Power says it's garbage, but Game Informer loves it?

This shit is:
Bananas.jpg

Gears is a cool and fun game, but the character design is pretty awful. I'm excited to see that The World Ends With You is getting good reviews though, that game looks really cool and I can't wait to pick it up. And its character designs aren't meatheaded space marines!

Y2Kev said:
What's the gears feature like? Pictures? Or just text?

12 pages. Screenshots, artwork, character profiles, haven't read the whole thing yet.

Looking at it closer, it might all be concept art that just looks like screenshots... I'll let you know.

Viewt

I know a lot of people rag on Game Informer for various reasons, but one thing that really can't be denied is that they have a great sense of design. That cover is awesome.

Viewt

Linkzg said:
how exactly does game of the month work?
Just like you'd think it would = highest scored game gets the nod. There are exceptions made when it's a new version of a game that's already won it, and if two games get the same score, they'll usually pick one (though I do remember San Andreas and Halo 2 both getting Game of the Month).

farnham

Banned
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Sony developing a Wiimote like device internally being called the Waggle. Likely to be packed in with a game. Full functionality not known at this time, but it will contain motion sensing. Sony's Waggle will not require a sensor bar or be based on IR.
doubt it...

the sixaxis strategy didnt give them any advantage..

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Loose Talk:

LOLOLOLOLOL

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Viewt said:
Just like you'd think it would = highest scored game gets the nod. There are exceptions made when it's a new version of a game that's already won it, and if two games get the same score, they'll usually pick one (though I do remember San Andreas and Halo 2 both getting Game of the Month).
As did Resistance and Gears of War.

Viewt said:
I know a lot of people rag on Game Informer for various reasons, but one thing that really can't be denied is that they have a great sense of design. That cover is awesome.
Isn't it essentially just a screenshot of the teaser with some text over it?

Viewt said:

I guess that explains Okami not getting it.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Didn't they give MLB 2k8 a 8.5 as well?

I can't comprehend MLB 2k8 being on the same level as MLB 08.

Ever

The-Switcher said:
Goddamn, I want to play TWEWY

Could the Okami scores be anymore confusing? Nintendo Power says it's garbage, but Game Informer loves it?
Well, NP never said they hated it, just that standard > waggle controls, because it introduced some inaccuracies and over touchy control, that's all. Also, GI tends to be a little more forgiving with scoring compared to other magazines.

Top Bottom