• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Game Informer May: Mass Effect 3 [Update: Details In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0b

Member
Sep 8, 2006
1,381
0
995
New Orleans
rateyourmusic.com
They better give me an option to help blow up Earth because I DO NOT GIVE A SHIT. (and for the love of god bring back the real citadel not that stupid Walmart from the second game.)

DennisK4 said:
Return to the large levels and RPG elements of the first game!

Though the ME1 Citadel was amazing and the ME2 citadel was poop, ME2 had more and better hubs and less bad UI/gameplay design decisions. I will take shooty-talky Mass Effect 2 over janky faux-rpg ME any day. A middle ground would be nice though.
 

Rahxephon91

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
12,613
0
0
Chicago IL.
The Citadel is lame in either game. it's a real boring space mall the teases this super futuristic City outside. Actually most environments in both games are incredibly boring. The only good one is Omega.
 

Riposte

Member
Sep 21, 2010
27,702
0
950
videogames?
twitter.com
Y2Kev said:
Why the fuck is he so brooding now? Dude's gotten more and more annoying looking in each of the games. I'm so tired of seeing brooding bastards. Nobody ever actually broods like this. Not even the zerg.



Not the best example... lol

(Your avatar is difficult to hot link...)
 
Aug 26, 2009
3,433
1
895
Y2Kev said:
Why the fuck is he so brooding now? Dude's gotten more and more annoying looking in each of the games. I'm so tired of seeing brooding bastards. Nobody ever actually broods like this. Not even the zerg.
:D
The gaiety derived from your post exceeded my self-control tolerances, good sir! You are to be applauded for your efforts!
 

Grisby

Member
Mar 4, 2008
21,377
1
0
Riposte said:


Not the best example... lol

(Your avatar is difficult to hot link...)

Heh heh. Yeah, everybody broods, :D

I mean, the cover sucks but I'm sure in the game Shep will be lighting up the dance floor like nobody's business.
 

Lostconfused

Member
Apr 26, 2007
16,165
0
0
www.neogaf.com
Because blockbuster triple A games have to be gritty and dark, otherwise they aren't epic enough.
Rahxephon91 said:
The Citadel is lame in either game. it's a real boring space mall the teases this super futuristic City outside. Actually most environments in both games are incredibly boring. The only good one is Omega.

Edit: NVM I'll just say it. You are a hypocrite. Omega is just as small and boring as the all the other environments in the game. Just because you liked it does not make it any better than all the others. Although the club music does make it some what more memorable than other areas in the game.
 

APZonerunner

Member
Feb 25, 2007
7,648
0
0
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Nirolak said:
Somehow I can't imagine the majority of the players chose Udina.

Probably not, no, but in the books and in suggestions in the games (him meeting Cerberus officers in ME2, suiting back up and shooting some dudes in the books) it seems like they decided to do different things with Anderson. Regardless of who you chose in ME1, in the third book - which is post-ME2 - Anderson ditches his post at the citadel entirely. Crossing fingers for him playable.
 

Fimbulvetr

Member
Feb 12, 2009
18,039
0
800
Brooklyn, NY
Lostconfused said:
Because blockbuster triple A games have to be gritty and dark, otherwise they aren't epic enough.

Oh god, stop it with that term. I can't even stand to see it used ironically anymore.

Every time someone uses the desecrated corpse of that word to describe a game's story I weep for humanity.
 

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Feb 4, 2009
34,654
0
0
Fimbulvetr said:
Oh god, stop it with that term. I can't even stand to see it used ironically anymore.

Every time someone uses the desecrated corpse of that word to describe a game's story I weep for humanity.

...streamlined.
 

Lostconfused

Member
Apr 26, 2007
16,165
0
0
www.neogaf.com
Fimbulvetr said:
Oh god, stop it with that term. I can't even stand to see it used ironically anymore.

Every time someone uses the desecrated corpse of that word to describe a game's story I weep for humanity.
But how else am I going to describe Mass Effect 2 and 3? I mean sure I can just call them bad but people would think I am trolling then.

Edit: Cliche could work. But then I would probably have to qualify it as cliche for a video game.
 
Nov 10, 2010
34,172
1
0
Atlanta GA
The actual gameplay part of ME2 was pretty shitty.

If we live in some bizarro world, I'd love bioware to make a point and click adventure game.

It would be stellar.
 

Rahxephon91

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
12,613
0
0
Chicago IL.
Lostconfused said:
Edit: NVM I'll just say it. You are a hypocrite. Omega is just as small and boring as the all the other environments in the game. Just because you liked it does not make it any better than all the others. Although the club music does make it some what more memorable than other areas in the game.
Not a hypocrite at all. Omega has tons of atmosphere and in general feels like a dingy dark space station. No it's not big, but that's not the problem with the Citadel. I'm not sure how you even can call me a hypocrite when I never even said it was boring because of it's size or anything. It's boring because it doesn't feel like an interesting place to me. It all kind of looks the same and doesn't feel like what I would imagine the center of the universe would be. It feels like a mall honestly, Omega feels like a bad space port and looks like one as well.
 

Lostconfused

Member
Apr 26, 2007
16,165
0
0
www.neogaf.com
Rahxephon91 said:
Not a hypocrite at all. Omega has tons of atmosphere and in general feels like a dingy dark space station. No it's not big, but that's not the problem with the Citadel. I'm not sure how you even can call me a hypocrite when I never even said it was boring because of it's size or anything. It's boring because it doesn't feel like an interesting place to me. It all kind of looks the same and doesn't feel like what I would imagine the center of the universe would be. It feels like a mall honestly, Omega feels like a bad space port and looks like one as well.
You generalized the Citadel as a space mall without actually representing the entirety of what the location is supposed to be. Same can be done for Omega because its a club, Afterlife is the most distinguishing and only feature of the entire area and isn't at all representative of what the whole place is supposed to be like.
 
Mar 27, 2008
18,353
310
1,455
Buffalo
goo.gl
Lostconfused said:
You generalized the Citadel as a space mall without actually representing the entirety of what the location is supposed to be. Same can be done for Omega because its a club, Afterlife is the most distinguishing and only feature of the entire area and isn't at all representative of what the whole place is supposed to be like.

Words too true. So much potential with Omega, they killed the goose...
 

megalowho

Member
Jan 3, 2009
6,126
0
1,005
Ickman3400 said:
The only thing I want to see them talking about bringing back is the rpg elements. Shepard can dance on his head for all I care as long as I can finally play a rpg again.


From a Christina Norman GDC presentation. We can only hope.
 

Ickman3400

Banned
Mar 1, 2011
1,891
0
0
megalowho said:


From a Christina Norman GDC presentation. We can only hope.

Yeah I remember that, but until they can show it I'll always be hesitant. Talking about it won't do either because they never deliver or they overhype what they're claiming (kind of like bethesda). After ME2 and especially DA2 they need to show instead of talk.
 

Rahxephon91

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
12,613
0
0
Chicago IL.
Lostconfused said:
You generalized the Citadel as a space mall without actually representing the entirety of what the location is supposed to be. Same can be done for Omega because its a club, Afterlife is the most distinguishing and only feature of the entire area and isn't at all representative of what the whole place is supposed to be like.
Yes because it feels like I'm in a mall because of how the things are lined up. Not because of size or anything. I disagree that Afterlife is the only distinguishing thing. Looking around Omega, it's dirty, it feels like a place that people live and have lived, it looks rundown thanks to pipes leaking and lots of garbage, you have the typical black market dealers that look like them and add to the cities dirtiness, the ramen esqe shop that gives me Blade Runner vibes, and even the color palate even feels dirty. It basically looks like how I would imagine a space station in a shitty part of space would look like.

And I'm not sure how Afterlife isn't supposed to be representative of the area. It's a shady club, the place is shady.

The Citadel does not at all give me a feeling of "hey this is where lots of shit happens".
 

Havok

Member
Jun 29, 2007
4,869
0
1,110
Gryphter said:
what is he standing on?
Space.

I'm not sure why they're focusing so much on Earth, especially given the kind of uninteresting nature its had in the series so far. Space is cool. Earth sucks. The same was true of Halo. We have fucking spaceships. Fuck Earth.
 

Lostconfused

Member
Apr 26, 2007
16,165
0
0
www.neogaf.com
Rahxephon91 said:
And I'm not sure how Afterlife isn't supposed to be representative of the area. It's a shady club, the place is shady.

The Citadel does not at all give me a feeling of "hey this is where lots of shit happens".
So one small area that fits your preconceived notions its good but because the other one doesn't makes it bad?

Edit: At least it seems to me that is how you are judging the quality of the areas in the game. Not that I disagree that the Citadel in mass effect 2 was interesting. Although you mentioned that it was boring in both games but your criticism is only directed at the way it was portrayed in 2.
 

Rahxephon91

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
12,613
0
0
Chicago IL.
Lostconfused said:
So one small area that fits your preconceived notions its good but because the other one doesn't makes it bad?
I'm not sure why you are stuck on this small=bad thing. My points against the Citadel is that it's boring because it doesn't feel very atmospheric or what I would think the center of the Universe would look like. It just feels like I'm walking around a mall. Omega feels like an actual place and is atmospheric, so that's why I think it's a better area.
Lostconfused said:
Edit: At least it seems to me that is how you are judging the quality of the areas in the game. Not that I disagree that the Citadel in mass effect 2 was interesting. Although you mentioned that it was boring in both games but your criticism is only directed at the way it was portrayed in 2.
I'm judging the areas on how interesting they are to be in. I don't find the Citadel in either 1 or 2 to be interesting to be in. I find Omega more interesting. It has nothing to do with the size of the areas. Sure the Citadel had more areas in 1, but I didn't really find them all that interesting as well. To me they just kind of blurred together and just didn't look cool to me. I'm expecting this big space port to basically be a space colony with futuristic skyscrapers or something. But you can only see that outside and your confined to what is basically the inside of an airport.
 

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Jul 12, 2007
8,338
0
0
Y2Kev said:
Why the fuck is he so brooding now? Dude's gotten more and more annoying looking in each of the games. I'm so tired of seeing brooding bastards. Nobody ever actually broods like this. Not even the zerg.

Cuz game needs to sell units to angry kids.
 

Lostconfused

Member
Apr 26, 2007
16,165
0
0
www.neogaf.com
Well that's why you can't really argue opinions. Because I am not sure how the citadel area in ME2 being described like a mall make it any less of a real place or implies that it lacks atmosphere.

Edit:
Rahxephon91 said:
I'm not sure why you are stuck on this small=bad thing.

But you can only see that outside and your confined to what is basically the inside of an airport.
Isn't this a bit or contradiction or did you just answer your own question?
 

diffusionx

Member
Feb 25, 2006
14,563
14,706
1,800
That cover is horrible.

I bet Kotaku will sell a print of it in a few months.

edit: I doubt I am the first person to mention he looks exactly like the Infamous guy.
 

Rahxephon91

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
12,613
0
0
Chicago IL.
Lostconfused said:
Isn't this a bit or contradiction or did you just answer your own question?
No it's not a contradiction. If the Citidal was as small as it was in ME2, but more of a cityscape or how I would imagine it, then I would like it much more.
 

LightofRohan

Member
Apr 7, 2009
6,779
217
1,185
California
chickdigger802 said:
was this confirmed to be the game cover?


A little note. It looks like shepard is infiltrator this time around. The first 2 game boxes always has him as soldier ;)
No - but it's mass effect and a cover. Gaf has hated all previous covers and magazine displays.
 
Aug 24, 2005
6,518
0
0
Here we go, from gamefaqs board:

Got my new Game Informer, read the ME3 article. Game starts with Shepard on Earth, effectively on trial in regard to the events of Arrival, and in the middle of the trial, the Reapers invade. Prologue involves Shepard's escape to the Normandy, and off to start finding those allies, fighting Reaper troops (husks of all the different species) the whole way.

Confirmed squadmates: Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus (if he's alive) and... James Sanders... That must be the guy from the trailer, I don't remember.

Speaking of which, there's a screenshot of Ashley with her hair down, and she actually looks hot. Don't have a scanner, so wait till someone with one turns up.

Confirmed to appear, but not guaranteed as squaddies: Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson. Obviously, if they live.

The game will by default feature a "previously on Mass Effect" comic to make decisions with if starting from scratch.

The Illusive Man also plays a prominent role, and Cerberus is out to kill Shepard. Reason why is unknown at this point.

The RPG elements are being beefed up, not going back to ME1, but giving more freedom with the character skills. Skill trees will be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once, offering even more freedom. Weapons are ME2 style, with a set list, but mods make a return, not in the ME1 style, but allowing you to swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes, and so on, which effect both the weapon's combat performance and its appearance.

All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them. Only the Soldier can carry all weapons at once. Probably means Adept, Engineer, and Sentinal will be limited to two, and Vanguard and Infiltrator will have three.

Also mentioned: The game will have numerous endings, some good, some bad, and who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit can have a drastic effect on which are available.

That's basically the gist of it, except for the sidebars filled with stuff everyone already knows.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention one thing: Confirmed NO MULTIPLAYER. They're talking about future games and/or spinoffs having it, but not this time.

pic to show the information is legit (if considered a scan I'll remove): *snip*
 

ColonelColon

Member
Dec 8, 2009
2,683
0
0
Darknessbear said:
Has GAF ever liked a Mass Effect cover?

Not that GAF is one person, but I liked the cover for the first game. I thought the box art for the second game was terrible though.

edit:


Confidence Man said:
Here we go, from gamefaqs board:




pic to show the information is legit (if considered a scan I'll remove): *snip*

hell yeah. Hype get. It's nice to see that at least some of the squadmates will be returning.
 

EmCeeGramr

Member
Jun 25, 2005
38,451
0
0
The Illusive Man also plays a prominent role, and Cerberus is out to kill Shepard. Reason why is unknown at this point.

The RPG elements are being beefed up, not going back to ME1, but giving more freedom with the character skills. Skill trees will be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once, offering even more freedom. Weapons are ME2 style, with a set list, but mods make a return, not in the ME1 style, but allowing you to swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes, and so on, which effect both the weapon's combat performance and its appearance.

All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them. Only the Soldier can carry all weapons at once. Probably means Adept, Engineer, and Sentinal will be limited to two, and Vanguard and Infiltrator will have three.

Alright, these sound good.

Game starts with Shepard on Earth, effectively on trial in regard to the events of Arrival, and in the middle of the trial, the Reapers invade. Prologue involves Shepard's escape to the Normandy, and off to start finding those allies, fighting Reaper troops (husks of all the different species) the whole way.

So... what if we DIDN'T buy a piece of poorly-received DLC? :\
 

ProtoCents

Banned
Nov 15, 2010
2,721
0
0
Confidence Man said:
pic to show the information is legit (if considered a scan I'll remove): *snip*

Unf unf unf

Oh yeah, forgot to mention one thing: Confirmed NO MULTIPLAYER. They're talking about future games and/or spinoffs having it, but not this time.

UNF UNF UNF!
 

Havok

Member
Jun 29, 2007
4,869
0
1,110
Confidence Man said:
Here we go, from gamefaqs board:




pic to show the information is legit (if considered a scan I'll remove): *snip*
No mention of whether limited ammo comes back :/ Please god no.
 

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dec 15, 2008
39,509
0
730
35
nowhere
www.neogaf.com
CartridgeBlower said:
This is like the most generic powerpoint slide I've ever see in my life...

it could definitely be spruced up with a few pieces of clip art


Anyways, the details so far sound great. Gameplay-wise, I had no issues with the direction Bioware took with ME2, but a combination of both would be ideal. I just want it to feel as grand as ME1 did, what a journey that was.

Wow, Carth and Ashley again. Welcome back to my crew, Ashley. The only returns I really care about are Garrus and Tali. I feel like they both could be developed a bit further, especially Tali, and they're usually my crew in ME1 & 2.
 

megalowho

Member
Jan 3, 2009
6,126
0
1,005
Thank you, Confidence Man. Your post indeed inspires confidence in me. Really looking forward to seeing how they handle the bad endings, with the Reapers doing Reaper shit around the galaxy there's potential for things to get pretty dark.
 

gdt

Member
Oct 20, 2007
40,428
2
0
32
Pennsylvania
No multiplayer? Whaaaaa?


Rest of that stuff sounds great, but hopefully they don't include loot, only basic weapon mods. I fucking hate fiddling with loot.
 

itxaka

Defeatist
Feb 21, 2007
11,446
0
1,445
Bioshock
Confidence Man said:
Here we go, from gamefaqs board:

Got my new Game Informer, read the ME3 article. Game starts with Shepard on Earth, effectively on trial in regard to the events of Arrival, and in the middle of the trial, the Reapers invade. Prologue involves Shepard's escape to the Normandy, and off to start finding those allies, fighting Reaper troops (husks of all the different species) the whole way.

fap


Confirmed squadmates: Liara, Ashley/Kaiden, Garrus (if he's alive) and... James Sanders... That must be the guy from the trailer, I don't remember.

meh


Confirmed to appear, but not guaranteed as squaddies: Wrex, Mordin, Legion, and Anderson. Obviously, if they live.

fap fap


The Illusive Man also plays a prominent role, and Cerberus is out to kill Shepard. Reason why is unknown at this point.

fap fap fap


The RPG elements are being beefed up, not going back to ME1, but giving more freedom with the character skills. Skill trees will be larger, and powers will evolve several times instead of just once, offering even more freedom. Weapons are ME2 style, with a set list, but mods make a return, not in the ME1 style, but allowing you to swap out different parts such as barrels, scopes, and so on, which effect both the weapon's combat performance and its appearance.

All classes can wield all weapons unhindered now, but will have limited slots to carry them. Only the Soldier can carry all weapons at once. Probably means Adept, Engineer, and Sentinal will be limited to two, and Vanguard and Infiltrator will have three.


Re-fap fap fap

Also mentioned: The game will have numerous endings, some good, some bad, and who you have in your squad and which allies you recruit can have a drastic effect on which are available.

fap fap fap fap

Oh yeah, forgot to mention one thing: Confirmed NO MULTIPLAYER. They're talking about future games and/or spinoffs having it, but not this time.

FUCK YEAH.
 

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oct 24, 2007
49,169
0
1,010
EmCeeGramr said:
Alright, these sound good.



So... what if we DIDN'T buy a piece of poorly-received DLC? :\

Shouldnt matter. Same outcome all the time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.