• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

MG310

Probably wait for the PS4 version to go down to 30 or 25 at Best Buy before giving it a shot. I'd like to play it but feel like I'll be getting way more out of the other March releases.

Welp, I guess that's that. I really, really hope there are enough side missions to justify the price tag otherwise I'll just wait for some heavy price drops.

DigitalOp

Banned
Very interesting Kojima interview in the issue. Basically talks about how he got into gaming and how he is stuck being the Metal Gear guy. He claims he does not want to be known as that man, he claims he doesnt have much time left cause he is 50 so he wants to write a list of all he wants to do before he dies and make sure he does it which includes writing a novel and making a movie.

He claims he likes simple stories, ironically. He said he always tries to make a simple story. He says he wont let series canon hinder him from telling the story he wants so if he has to contradict a few things he will.

There was a comparison of him and James Cameron with Aliens where that franchise was handed off after Alien and it was successful. Kojima said his situation is more like Terminator where if he left it would become a mess. He claims he has had no success in passing the torch which implies he has tried. There is a lot about Japanese culture and how he doesn't relate to any Japanese developers anymore except Platinum Games.

What I found most interesting is his talk about GTA and Konami. Remember that GTA tweet about how amazing an open world it was and how he was jealous. Well he says he is jealous of Rockstar that they are able to pump all their resources into making the game they desire. He says he can't do that, he still needs to work with Konami and partner on different projects and make sure things are balanced for Konami as a whole.

He says he just got into Breaking Bad and he is pissed cause he wasnt the one to come up with that story, he wants to tell that kind of story. He says if he pitched a story like that to Konami they would probably say no. He also loved Gravity, loved how simple it was and he says trying to create a game that simple would be hard with Konami. He says that movie really impacted him, making something out of the ordinary a big success and is jealous of it as a creator, says it stirred something in him.

He talks about how he is close friends with Guillermo Del Toro, says he would like to work with him one day.

Kojima and I would be best buds. Love to hear how great art and concepts affect his creative mind. I feel the same way about certain things too.

He says he just got into Breaking Bad and he is pissed cause he wasnt the one to come up with that story, he wants to tell that kind of story. He says if he pitched a story like that to Konami they would probably say no. He also loved Gravity, loved how simple it was and he says trying to create a game that simple would be hard with Konami. He says that movie really impacted him, making something out of the ordinary a big success and is jealous of it as a creator, says it stirred something in him.
This sounds funny, lol. I know Kojima is a huge movie buff but if he takes a look at his own story, he would have found out how messed up it is. Breaking Bad is nowhere the same level of mess.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Very interesting Kojima interview in the issue. Basically talks about how he got into gaming and how he is stuck being the Metal Gear guy. He claims he does not want to be known as that man, he claims he doesnt have much time left cause he is 50 so he wants to write a list of all he wants to do before he dies and make sure he does it which includes writing a novel and making a movie.

He claims he likes simple stories, ironically. He said he always tries to make a simple story. He says he wont let series canon hinder him from telling the story he wants so if he has to contradict a few things he will.

There was a comparison of him and James Cameron with Aliens where that franchise was handed off after Alien and it was successful. Kojima said his situation is more like Terminator where if he left it would become a mess. He claims he has had no success in passing the torch which implies he has tried. There is a lot about Japanese culture and how he doesn't relate to any Japanese developers anymore except Platinum Games.

What I found most interesting is his talk about GTA and Konami. Remember that GTA tweet about how amazing an open world it was and how he was jealous. Well he says he is jealous of Rockstar that they are able to pump all their resources into making the game they desire. He says he can't do that, he still needs to work with Konami and partner on different projects and make sure things are balanced for Konami as a whole.

He talks about how he is close friends with Guillermo Del Toro, says he would like to work with him one day.

Very interesting, thank you. So yeah Kojima is like a slave for Konami, he wants to break free but he just can't. I feel bad for him :(

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Konami testers speed-ran the main story in 5 mins.

PS4 version looks better than Xbone version.

That makes sense. The mission is finding Chico so if you know exactly where he is in the base camp, it seems obvious you could just speedrun the mission with ease.

Really wonder how much of that 2 hours is composed of cutscenes.

The funny thing about the length is that, as a huge MGS fan who has to mine every single corner of the game world, I'll probably get 20 hours out of this.

On the other hand if they're really hoping to support GZ with DLC in between the two games, for this initial price it goddamn better all be free.

Ok, info from GI:

GZ
- 2 hr main story mode
- normal and hard difficulity present
- abbility to turn off all aids [more awards for that]
- side missions, collection of XOF patches, extraction of soldiers that will be transfered to TPP
- all missions have leaderboards
- mobile app for realtime map info
- great gameplay
- regular content downloadable packs between GZ and TPP

Where does it say anything about having more content between GZ and TPP. It says none of that. It also never mentions hard mode though we have heard the game has it from other sources.

Terra_Ex

Completely believable for a Metal Gear game - years in production, loads of hype, all over within a few hours. I'll wait for the double pack.

Ora

Banned
I'm not even sure what the point of this game is... You'll have die hard fans pay upfront cause they don't care, but I feel like you're average gamer will see those credits roll and be pissed. This is not gonna do MGSV any favors :/

If a game was half price, the same general length for a single playthrough, but an indie title, would some of you give it more of a consideration?

Don't get me wrong, I think $40 is ridiculous (for me, personally) for an experience that short, but I also know that I would give more consideration to a $20 game from an indie studio even if I knew--expected even-- ahead of time that the length of the game was really short. I just weigh my interest in what the developer is going for vs. the asking price.

Having said that, I've never seen an indie game with the kind of production value rivaling the screens we've seen for GZ. That kind of polish doesn't come cheap and the end result is the price we're being asked to pay. It might not be worth it to you-- and personally I am going to have to wait for a serious price drop on this-- but that's my takeaway; If you'd pay 1/2 the price for an indie title of similar length, does the added $20 justify the extra polish?

SMZC

I'm getting the PS4 physical edition for 33 euros, so that's not too horrible. I would boycott the shit out of this, but Metal Gear is one of my two favorite videogame series and I can't say no to playing MGS on my PS4 next month.

Drainer

Banned
I'm ok with this.

As I get older, I'm really really pining for more short experiences. I'd much rather a short full experience, than a long, drawn out padded one. Which to be honest, most games feel like these days.

Lingitiz

Interesting, thanks for posting this.

It's funny because he quite publicly passed the torch to Shigenobu Matsuyama on stage at E3 when Rising was first revealed. I assume the total destruction of that project prior to Platinum getting on board pretty much ruined all faith he ever had in letting a new generation of devs make Metal Gear.

I would love to see a developer like Kojima work in the indie scene, although it's contrary to the big blockbuster cinematic games that he makes. The guy genuinely has weird and eccentric ideas that are unfortunately blocked due to his loyalty to Konami.

AHA-Lambda

Jesus, Kojima is laying out all out he just sounds fed up now :s

What a money grab. I'd rather just wait until 2015 for the full experience than play a 2 hour demo/tease of the full game for ANY price, much less $40. They're crazy with this move.

I'd LOVE to see Kojima without the Metal Gear ball and chain around his ankle. Sucks that he's been attached to the series for so long.

KoopaTheCasual

Sounds like he's generally sick of the shit he puts up with, and wants to branch out. Too bad. Those MGS games won't make themselves for Konami!

btkadams

I'm getting the PS4 physical edition for 33 euros, so that's not too horrible. I would boycott the shit out of this, but Metal Gear is one of my two favorite videogame series and I can't say no to playing MGS on my PS4 next month.

ugh i HATE that i meant end up buying it for this very reason. at least infamous comes out the same month. hopefully that keeps me from buying this at full price.

LiK

I'm ok with this.

As I get older, I'm really really pining for more short experiences. I'd much rather a short full experience, than a long, drawn out padded one. Which to be honest, most games feel like these days.

So that includes paying $40 for a demo?

VARIA

This is just as bad as in app purchases and micro transactions.

The worst part is that there will be MANY consumers who think they are buying MGS5.

WARP10CK

Banned
So Kojima basically expects us to pay 40$ for a two hour demo ?

I think that the reaction of fans will eventually be .....

28097893.jpg

AHA-Lambda

If a game was half price, the same general length for a single playthrough, but an indie title, would some of you give it more of a consideration?

Don't get me wrong, I think $40 is ridiculous (for me, personally) for an experience that short, but I also know that I would give more consideration to a $20 game from an indie studio even if I knew--expected even-- ahead of time that the length of the game was really short. I just weigh my interest in what the developer is going for vs. the asking price.

Having said that, I've never seen an indie game with the kind of production value rivaling the screens we've seen for GZ. That kind of polish doesn't come cheap and the end result is the price we're being asked to pay. It might not be worth it to you-- and personally I am going to have to wait for a serious price drop on this-- but that's my takeaway; If you'd pay 1/2 the price for an indie title of similar length, does the added $20 justify the extra polish?

No, indie experiences such as that I would wait for a sale personally. But at least that indie game is a complete package. This is the opening act of another separate $60 purchase.

Sojgat

Well if GI is reporting 2 hours... then the average game playing time could be 3 1/2.

Nobody rushes through games like reviewers. Nobody believes playtime count from Devs.

I think alot of gamers aside from the core enthusiasts play at a very moderate pace when it comes to playtime completion. However, I expect alot of people finishing this one right when they were getting in the groove...

It's been my experience that reviewers and the games press in general, are almost always overly generous with playtime estimates. If they say 6-8 hours, it's usually more like 4-5.

$90 for a game that can be speed run in 5 minutes? Seriously?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
But for the same money you can get games that are also great and longer too?

I don't see why people keep bring up this poor argument.

Konami themselves are boasting Lords of Shadow 2's 20+ hour length for almost the same price!

Yes, but you could spend it on a Season Pass and wait 5-6 months to enjoy the content. I think it'll do fine for what it is, but you have to get over what you paid for it. Granted some players might expect this as the actual MGSV, which will be sad if they do because I know PP will be much better.

We all played the 5-7 hour campaigns this last gen, what's the big deal? It's not even $60. I do see why it's upsetting, but oh well. PP should be coming out sometime.

That makes sense. The mission is finding Chico so if you know exactly where he is in the base camp, it seems obvious you could just speedrun the mission with ease.

Really wonder how much of that 2 hours is composed of cutscenes.

The mission is finding two people in 2 different places and carrying them to your helicipter. 5 mins sounds pretty damn fast, I bet it's pretty challenging to get it that low. You can call in your helicopter to different landing spots so that might help.

Top Bottom