• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

Alienous

I'll happily pay $40 for Ground Zeroes.

image.php

I won't, for the greater good of the franchise, but I'm sure other fans will pick it up at that price.

I'm just interested in how good it is, and how it reviews. I can't see non-fans being very tolerant of a 4 hour $40 release, especially for a stealth game. At least in a modern shooter campaign it's an adrenaline filled, explosion packed, 6 hours.

It'll be interesting to see.

Xater

$15-$20 sounds more reasonable.

Yep, that is what I would pay for this. Good that it's getting a disc release. Hopefully it will bomb and reach that price point soon.

image.php

I won't, for the greater good of the franchise, but I'm sure other fans will pick it up at that price.

I'm just interested in how good it is, and how it reviews. I can't see non-fans being very tolerant of a 4 hour $40 release, especially for a stealth game. At least with modern shooter campaigns its an adrenaline filled, explosion packed, 6 hours.

I am a fan and I am not tolerant toward the shit Konami is pulling. Just seems like a rip-off.

Again: They played through ONE of the several main missions AND some extra modes within the 4 hours they had.

How can you guys not understand that? lol
Where are you seeing this? The quote says we played through THE main mission not one the main missionS. Pretty clear distinction. Also I've always heard this talked about as a single story mission that will act as the first part of MGS V

MormaPope

Banned
Getting this digitally on Xbox 360, so it'll cost me $20, there have been arcade games that last 1-2 hours with little replay value and cost $15. People seem to be forgetting that the digital pricing is $10 less than the physical pricing.

Xbox 360/PS3 digital: $19.99
Xbone/PS4 digital: $29.99

Buying a physical copy makes no sense.

People are surprised by this?

Looking at the videos and discounted price I was expecting a two-three hour campaign. I think the bonus content is simply different missions on the same map(s).

MGSV is The Phantom Pain. This is MGSV: Prologue.

Goon Boon

Banned
I am curious if they are including cut-scenes or if they skipped them because they only had 4 hours. If this is 4 hours with out cutscenes that seems reasonable. MGS 4 was about 4 hours of gameplay.

I'm disappointed with this too, but don't talk out of your ass. MGS4's Big Boss Emblem required you to beat the game in under five hours (this includes skipping cutscenes), and is a royal pain in the ass to achieve.

Yado

I don't think that quote means they played through the entire main mission. It probably means they had a four hour time limit to play through the main mission and experiment with extra modes.

Whompa

Guys, there's been how many metal gear games? How many fucking times is the time brought up? Why is this an "issue" to highlight?

4 hours seems pretty standard, especially since this is just the first part. Actually that sounds long for a part of game.

Metal gear games are never ever long. Get over the time issue. People speed run these games in half the time...

Uthred

This reminds me of people freaking out over a comment that could be interpreted as Dark Souls II being made easier, or any other ambiguous statement that causes people to lose their shit.

"We had four hours of exclusive hands-on time with Ground Zeroes, which we used to play through the main mission and experiment with extra modes."

"which we used to play through the main mission" could mean that they completed the main mission in that time or it could mean that they used the time to play a chunk of the main mission and experiment with extra modes. Now I know as video game fans on an internet forum we must instantly assume the most pessimistic chicken little-esque interpretation is true so carry on.

$10 per hour

Konami milking Metal Gear, I'm quite shocked.

*Only if you're buying the physical next-gen edition. The hyperbole here is a little unjustified.

For a $20 downloadable game, 4 hours is great.
For a $30 retail game, 4 hours is probably okay.
For a $40 retail game, 4 hours is on the low-end and they better be quality hours.

If you're that pissed offa bout Konami "ripping off its' customer"...rent the game. Surely the game is so tiny you can beat it in a week rental period :p
That's what I'm doing, tbh, and I'm definitely a huge MGS fan. MGS4 is the reason I bought a PS3 back in 2008

Tom_Cody

Having recently spent ~8 hours with the Bravely Default 'demo' in anticipation of the full release, I am extremely excited about the Ground Zeroes. I can't wait to play and replay it in order to master the games mechanics as much as I can in the build-up to the full MGS V release.

That said, $40 is looking very steep. I play more 3DS than any other system and $40 is the cost of a full release.

I will look forward to more information as to what Ground Zeroes actually is.

Where are you seeing this? The quote says we played through THE main mission not one the main missionS. Pretty clear distinction. Also I've always heard this talked about as a single story mission that will act as the first part of MGS V

I believe they are phrasing it that way because there was only ONE main mission available in the preview build they played. It has been confirmed last year and was quite visible in gameplay videos that GZ consists of several main missions. They probably had the chance to play through one of these.

Elios83

Seems like many people are going to wait for a price drop.
This shouldn't cost more than 20$ anyway, the price difference between the PS3/360 versions and the next gen ports is just robbery and it's going to hit them negatively.

Getting this digitally on Xbox 360, so it'll cost me $20, there have been arcade games that last 1-2 hours with little replay value and cost $15. People seem to be forgetting that the digital pricing is $10 less than the physical pricing.

Wait, seriously? 10 bucks less for digital version? Sold.

GameSeeker

That's unexpectedly short.

I think I will wait for the full MGS V to come out and buy both at the same time. It will be cheaper that way and I don't have to wait a year+ for the story to continue.

Come on. You don't intentionally misread that now, don't you? First of all I think there is more than one main mission. And if it is true what they say, then the main mission isn't even 4 hours long, because they also spend some of that time on extra modes.

I believe they played through the ONE main mission that was available in the preview build and that is all there is to it.

The achievements suggest there is only one main mission ("Ground Zeroes").

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This pilot ep has that whole hospital intro section where you're just holding forward to drag yourself on the floor for 20 mins right?

Why not sell this part for $15 (or a $5 DD like Case Zero?) And then charge $45 (or $60 for the final game?

Edit: I'm assuming that the phantom pain is currently planned to have an identical price tag. Not $30/40 + $60...right?

Hopeful there will be more than just the main mission to do. Still doesn't seem worth the price unless you're a big MGS fan. I'll rent or wait for a price drop. I could see a price drop coming shortly afterwards.

4 great hours is better than 4 hours drawn out to 15...

Then again, when they say 4 hours, do they mean they played the game for 4 hours? Or they watched cutscenes for 3 hours with an hour of gameplay? That could be a problem.

Was this on hard or easy to ensure a quick play through for enough time to write it up.

Curious to know if raising the difficulty adds tougher situations that extend gameplay.

No excuse for short areas or location count to be sure, but I wonder if 4 hours is probably the max you'll get no matter how you play...which would suck.

Erban1

Huge fan, but I'm going to have to wait for a price drop...I can't justify 40 for the only story mission and some filler ops.

The internal conflict is so real right now...dammit

Doesn't affect my decision in the least. I've played the demos of Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 more than I've played most games. I'll get my money's worth.

eso76

I understand that as

"we were allowed 4 hours with the game and we used them to play both (parts of) the main story and some of the side missions in the game".

It's not stated anywhere that 4 hrs was enough for them to complete the game and STILL have time to spare doing the extra stuff..

jbueno

So it really is the equivalent of the tanker chapter from MGS2?

It seems to be like that or the Virtuous Mission in MGS3. I'm totally OK with that as MGS games have great replay value to me, looking forward to the 360 version for now, will double dip on a PS4 or hopefully PC release down the line.

Xater

If the digital PS4 version was 20 bucks we wouldn't even have this thread. Konami brought this onto themselves by asking for a next gen tax.

I believe they are phrasing it that way because there was only ONE main mission available in the preview build they played. It has been confirmed last year and was quite visible in gameplay videos that GZ consists of several main missions. They probably had the chance to play through one of these.
I get what your saying, but I have seen no evidence that would point to that. I think they would have said something like, we played through the mission that was available to us... I'm sure they're will be clarification soon, as well the argument that if you take your time you can get 6 hours out of it.

AHA-Lambda

image.php

I'm just interested in how good it is, and how it reviews. I can't see non-fans being very tolerant of a 4 hour $40 release, especially for a stealth game. At least in a modern shooter campaign it's an adrenaline filled, explosion packed, 6 hours.

It'll be interesting to see.

This. I think I'll just pick it up with PP when it's bottom dollar cheap, unless I somehow find a great deal on it.

Top Bottom