• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

kick51

Banned
You're right, I mislead people and made them think the game was twice as long as it actually was!

Konami should pay me for this shit.

c'mon, you know that was causing like 500 pages of arguing. but it was funny, so i ain't even mad.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ah. Gone are the days where this would just be a nice downloadable demo to get people excited for the main game.

Memories....

foxtrot3d

Banned
As expected I guess, The Phantom Pain is the one to wait for. There's no problem with hardcore fans buying Ground Zeroes as long as they know what they're getting into though I guess. Still, pretty crappy pricing by Konami ($20 sounds more appropriate).

I knew from Day 1 that we were being sold the equivalent of the Tanker Mission, I don't know why anyone thought otherwise. Still gonna buy it because I'm a Metal Gear nut, but I would have preferred waiting and having included in the TPP.

You're all being really silly. How many of you are going to play the one mission once then throw the disc away?
movies?

That's pretty much how I play videogames, so..... yup.

8-12 hours is the perfect length for a $60 videogame. For $40 I expect more like 6 hours.

$40 for 1 hour plus a little extra is nuts.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I knew it would be short but this is still quite surprising. I'd already decided to wait for a price drop though so this doesn't change much for me.

A Metal Gear game that takes two hours to beat? Really? I'm assuming it's two hours with cutscenes which is quite disappointing. A lot of people will be disappointed when they pick this one up if they're not on par with these news. Ridiculous for the price.

kmax

Konami, why even bother at all? Why just not include this in the main game and release the whole thing when it's done?

Oh, that's right:

ibcwEzn2XHddRy.gif

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm pretty bummed about this. I'm not shocked by this turn of events, but I'm still disapointed.

I was looking forward to this game as most of the single player next gen games I want seem to be shuffling to the fall instead of Spring.. but I cant justify that price tag for that short of a game.

Slime

Banned
MGS prologue: free on the demo disc that came with my PS1
MGS2 Tanker chapter: free on the demo disc that came with ZOE
MGS3 Virtuous Mission: free on an OPM demo disc
Peace Walker intro: free on PSN

This is hilarious.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
With this game being as short and expensive as it is, I will be waiting a long time to play this.

Will be interesting to see what the reviews say and if they will sway my opinion.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
In my eyes, it comes down to how the game is designed. I haven't followed the game at all, though I know its open-world. Maybe the game is designed to be more than its story mode, as in an experiment game for the series where the story is there, and its short, but the real meat of the game is all that is off the beaten path.

Again, have not followed the game, but I'm getting the impression too many people are placing story hours to mean the whole packaged hours. As an open-world game, I suspect there's probably a lot to do away from the story, and maybe the game was intentionally designed like this.

RangerBAD

I'm sure some people out there will still get their money's worth out of it. However, it's not difficult to understand that many may only have interest in playing through the core content once and dabbling with the extras. This is particularly true in regards to games that are narrative-focused. Given that, it's rather absurd to assume that everyone who plays it should be expected to go through every difficulty striving for a Big Boss ranking. The primary product representing less than two hours of content at $40 is undoubtedly going to be a poor value proposition.

Just to elaborate on your point: If I bought it, I would do everything, but even that's not going to be worth that price to me. I'm not one of those people that plays MGS hundreds of times and a lot of other people don't either. Like you said, it may definitely not have that worth for people in it solely for the narrative.

2 hrs? Thats no bueno! But i'm a sucker that loves me some MGS, so i'll still be purchasing.

Might have to crawl in every mission just to extend the gameplay.

Boke1879

Just canceled my preorder. I'm a HUGE MGS fan, but I can not justify paying 40 bucks for this. Konami and Hideo should be ashamed of themselves for this.

Release this as a free demo or put in on PS+ and then i'll touch this game.

Absolutely disgusting.

Everytime Kojima was on record, he called Ground Zeroes "A Prologue" to Phantom Pain. The last time I checked none of my prologues in books are even close to being an 1/8 the length of the rest.

Personally I think charging any kind of money for this demo is insane. This is 40 bucks too expensive. It's the tanker mission demo without ZOE.

I'll be getting Phantom Pain right away, but the few minutes amount of story in GZ are going to be watched on youtube.

DieH@rd

Banned
Ahhh, Batzi got hit with FOXDIE.

For me, I dont care, digital PS4 version will be mine on Day1.

I'm a fan of MGS franchise, and this is a mainline project made by Kojima, with great visuals and direct continuation of excellent Peace Walker.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Less than 2 hours?

...LESS THAN 2 HOURS?!? :lol

I feel preorders for this game will strangely go down in the next days. Ssstrangely.

JawzPause

I'm a HUGE MGS fan but >£20 for a 2 HOURS LONG GAME!? Are you fucking kidding me!? Why isn't this just included with the Phantom Pain (like with MGS2) ? This will be the first console MGS that I do not plan on purchasing.
Absolutely ridiculous.

well fuck. I cant even justify paying that much for such a short length.. hope some shit changes in the next month because that's fucking ridiculous.

Vibranium

Banned
I knew from Day 1 that we were being sold the equivalent of the Tanker Mission, I don't know why anyone thought otherwise. Still gonna buy it because I'm a Metal Gear nut, but I would have preferred waiting and having included in the TPP.

And that's ok, I hope you enjoy it! Me, I'm gonna wait and hope Konami eventually includes Ground Zeroes with the actual MGSV, I am not that big of a fan haha.

Read through it

The main campaign is 2 hours long, it could be speed run in 5 minutes.

GI says they tried some extra missions but not all, did not mention how many there are but said they all take place in the same base.

Gameplay sounds like a blast but you pretty much know all the info from watching the gameplay demonstrations. You have to find all hidden XOF patches to access the console exclusive mission. A little more on GZ, it uses an pad app where you can use a pad to be your classic radar. In the game you can access it through a menu but it is real time on the pad.

They spoiled the entire story, what little there is.

Now MGSV, it takes place 9 years after GZ while Boss was in a coma. It starts with the trailer we saw at the hospital when its attacked by “Those who dont exist” which includes a fire version of Volgin, Psycho Mantis and more. Ocelot saves him and the game takes off from there. Boss ditches the name Snake and finally likes to be called Big Boss. Kojima altered his look to signify Boss’ new attitude so he has a robotic arm and the shrapnel which becomes a horn sticking out of head.

For those wondering how Les Enfants Terribles fits in with the timeline he says it will all make sense at the end of the game. The game area is 200 times larger than the GZ base. Gigantic open areas to explore which with many small bases, houses, farms, etc to check out. Some spots are guarded some are not. You can choose to get into fights or avoid them. It wont be one giant open world but many different large maps because you travel around the world.

Kojima says the games will play alike but in TPP its not constant danger like in GZ, you can choose to escape a base if you are seen in TPP for instance. The base building from PW is back, now there is a new base (probably Outer Heaven) and you rescue people with the fulton recovery just like in PW.

The bases will be more interactive, everyone will have their own and you will be able to hop online and visit a friends base if you want. If you rescue more hostages in GZ they will be transferred to TPP. Says players who play TPP will be at a clear advantage for TPP than those who don’t.

Arttemis

So it's exactly like the Tanker or Virtuous mission. And they're breaking it off from the main product for an additional $20-40.

I just can't support this. If they release MGS5 with GZ and PP, I'll be ecstatic. DLC practices were awful enough with piecemealing games last gen; there's just no way I can support the literal segmentation of games right off the bat in this new gen.

Ugh. Dead Rising: Case Zero had the right idea. It was a unique but unessential taste of the game for a quarter to an eighth of this price, and it sounds to be just as long as this in gameplay.

Endo Punk

I'd be pissed if I wasn't already content with the franchise. I don't feel MGS is one that I will follow going into Gen8 but I sincerely hope Kojima doesn't waste another gen working on the same franchise.

Dartastic

People do realize that they're releasing this to help fund the development of the main game, right? It's pretty obvious.

Alienous

Apparently you can drive tanks in Ground Zeroes. News from the Game Informer article.

Yay?

GI says they tried some extra missions but not all, did not mention how many there are but said they all take place in the same base. Koji Pro says they used Dead Rising case zero as the inspiration, says with DLC and all this extra paid stuff they decided to try it with the first part of the game.

They done it better. Capcom, of all people.

But don't you see guys? If you support this you fuel it. It'll happen again.

KoopaTheCasual

Wow, and we were salty about 4 hours before? Jesus. This is an unabashed gouge. Don't they have any shame? I used to wish for Ground Zero to do well to stimulate quicker Japanese next-gen adoption, but now I hope this "prologue" bombs horribly.

Top Bottom