• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Konami testers speed-ran the main story in 5 mins.

PS4 version looks better than Xbone version.

The first tidbit was already mentioned as being from the article. The other...same article, but still not reported?

jrcbandit

This thread reminded me to pre-order the game from Amazon, but now after reading it is 2 hours instead of 4, I promptly cancelled the order. This needs to be $20, $30 absolutely max for PS4/Xbone...

Run to Chico. Cut scene. Run to Paz. Cut scene.

Sounds like that's about it.

10 minute opening Cutscene.
Run to Paz or Chico
Cutscene
Take Paz or Chico to helicopter
Cutscene
Run to Chico or Paz
Cutscene
Take Chico or Paz to helicopter
1 hr ending cutscene.
Probably.

Logash

I understand the urge to appease fans (and investors) by releasing a prologue prior to the main series; however, asking fans to shell out 39.99$ for a 2-3 hour game is unfounded.

I hope such practices will not be actively implemented or studied by other publishers depending on the success of Ground Zeroes as we will have only ourselves to blame.

They are really asking $20-$30. This game was clearly made with digital in mind. Fans are the ones who wanted a physical release.

D-Stubbs

I'm a huge MGS fan but damn I'm gonna reconsider buying this game. March is gonna have so many games I already want anyway, maybe waiting on this and picking it up when it's cheaper down the road would be the best option.

Sojgat

I think putting out a game labelled "Metal Gear Solid V" for the mass market and then having them realize that it is only a 2 hour prologue is a great way to build up hype for the full release! /sarcasm

It's going to do more harm than good. So many of these things are going to get returned.

Drago

Sounds like a perfect game to rent. Still need to play through other games in the series before this comes out anyways.

AHA-Lambda

Eh, honestly, I'm not in favor of that kind of rhetoric. We all waste money on stupid shit I'm sure. If people are entertained, I think they should spend their money on whatever will give them entertainment. I'm in the camp that thinks it's absurd that they're releasing this at $40, but if people have to get their Metal Gear Solid fix, I can understand it. After all, I may not be buying $40 demos, but when I examine my backlog and what I paid to acquire it, I'm not in a position to cast stones at people for throwing money away on this stupid hobby.

Having said that, I would still encourage people to be a tad more critical though. If nothing else, it'd be nice if people did give a little more consideration about what they're paying for instead of just opening their wallets and paying whatever Konami asks because Metal Gear is on the box.

oh god please, I understand what you're saying but even as a Metal gear fan (i'm tempted don't get me wrong I love MGS) but that's shocking. Some people here I think really need to be more critical of what they spend their money on.

RulkezX

I'm getting confused.

When I was reading this earlier at work this afternoonit seemed to be 4 hours gameplay, and now I'm reading 2 hours.

Has anyone actually confirmed this time, or is GAF deducing it is 2 hours?

OP was updated , GI told kotaku they finished it in 2

Smellycat

$40 for 2 hours? That is so sad...

Edit: LESS that 2 hours. There is no justification for this.

However, can't you beat the first MGS in less than 3 hours?

border

Let's say that I found 5-6 other people who were willing to pay me $5 to play Ground Zeroes, and I collected them money from them.

Let's say that I were start a brand new PSN or Xbox Live account, and use that accumulated money to purchase Ground Zeroes. Let's say that I share the login and password for the PSN/XBL account with the people that gave me money. Each person agrees that they will only play the game on a particular day of the week, so no two people are simultaneously trying to login to the same PSN/XBL account.

This is theoretically possible on both PS4 and Xbox One, right? Games can be shared on any console, so long as the owner's account is logged in, right? It'd be too ridiculous to manage that amongst a group of people for real games, but for a 2-hour demo that's pretty much disposable I don't see why not.

Dali

Ok, info from GI:

GZ
- 2 hr main story mode
- normal and hard difficulity present
- abbility to turn off all aids [more awards for that]
- side missions, collection of XOF patches, extraction of soldiers that will be transfered to TPP
- all missions have leaderboards
- mobile app for realtime map info
- great gameplay
- regular content downloadable packs between GZ and TPP

TPP:
- 9 years after GZ, BB casts away the name of Snake and goes on a mission of revenge, builds outer haven
- bigass game
- they will tell the tale of Les Efantes Terrible project [birth of twin snakes]
- several large open world areas, set in differnt places around the world [afhanistan and africa are unveiled for now]
- open world gameplay, player can choose how to engage enemy, sneak/attack/escape
- base building, visiting friends bases, mobile app

TPP sounds like a very expensive game to develop. I guess that's why Konami is doing this kickstarter.

I dont even have game informer anymore and without this thread I probably would've never found out about this. My money is really tight right now and unless more details come out that give some more meat to this game I'm going to have to back out.

Reveirg

Yeah I was going to buy it... I don't mind really short games, but 45$ for the physical PS4 version in Canada is completely nonsensical. I never say that but I'll wait for a price drop =/.

Shady859

Gamefly it is, thanks Game Informer! I tend to just play main story and rarely like never play to 100% completion of side quests etc. I wondered why it was so cheap guess this explains it. Kinda like how Rayman Legends is releasing for $40 and still $60 on last gen consoles at most retailers.

I for one am glad they cut content to be able to offer console exclusive missions. Better be careful not to overdeliver dat value.

Will buy when 20€ or less.

The first tidbit was already mentioned as being from the article. The other...same article, but still not reported?

In that article, it states that Kojima told them that PS4 version looks slightly better, but they themselves could tell that was the case. It's on the 3rd-to-last page of the Ground Zeroes section (last line).

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
It was only a matter of time before the Kojima quirkiness went too far for even gamers to handle. $40 for such a short experience? Might as well replay MGS2 and wait for V.

Eh, honestly, I'm not in favor of that kind of rhetoric. We all waste money on stupid shit I'm sure. If people are entertained, I think they should spend their money on whatever will give them entertainment. I'm in the camp that thinks it's absurd that they're releasing this at $40, but if people have to get their Metal Gear Solid fix, I can understand it. After all, I may not be buying $40 demos, but when I examine my backlog and what I paid to acquire it, I'm not in a position to cast stones at people for throwing money away on this stupid hobby.

Having said that, I would still encourage people to be a tad more critical though. If nothing else, it'd be nice if people did give a little more consideration about what they're paying for instead of just opening their wallets and paying whatever Konami asks because Metal Gear is on the box.

You see, this is a very reasonable viewpoint. Is it really necessary to label anyone who spends money on this? I'm spending my money on it, because I know I will get my money's worth. With each entry in the franchise, I've logged in hundreds upon hundreds of hours. I don't see that changing with Ground Zeroes, despite its short story. Side missions are where I've always spent most of my time in series; again, don't see that changing with Ground Zeroes.

Well, whaddya know, those of us who can analyze what's shown to us and make rational, informed assumptions free of fanboy-fueled self-delusion turned out to be right.

Pathetic practise from Kojima and Konami.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Uhhh, in Australia the PS4 version of this is $89 where as the PS3 version is $49. That price differential is ridiculous.

Very interesting Kojima interview in the issue. Basically talks about how he got into gaming and how he is stuck being the Metal Gear guy. He claims he does not want to be known as that man, he claims he doesnt have much time left cause he is 50 so he wants to write a list of all he wants to do before he dies and make sure he does it which includes writing a novel and making a movie.

He claims he likes simple stories, ironically. He said he always tries to make a simple story. He says he wont let series canon hinder him from telling the story he wants so if he has to contradict a few things he will.

There was a comparison of him and James Cameron with Aliens where that franchise was handed off after Alien and it was successful. Kojima said his situation is more like Terminator where if he left it would become a mess. He claims he has had no success in passing the torch which implies he has tried. There is a lot about Japanese culture and how he doesn't relate to any Japanese developers anymore except Platinum Games.

What I found most interesting is his talk about GTA and Konami. Remember that GTA tweet about how amazing an open world it was and how he was jealous. Well he says he is jealous of Rockstar that they are able to pump all their resources into making the game they desire. He says he can't do that, he still needs to work with Konami and partner on different projects and make sure things are balanced for Konami as a whole.

He says he just got into Breaking Bad and he is pissed cause he wasnt the one to come up with that story, he wants to tell that kind of story. He says if he pitched a story like that to Konami they would probably say no. He also loved Gravity, loved how simple it was and he says trying to create a game that simple would be hard with Konami. He says that movie really impacted him, making something out of the ordinary a big success and is jealous of it as a creator, says it stirred something in him.

He talks about how he is close friends with Guillermo Del Toro, says he would like to work with him one day.

DigitalOp

Banned
Well if GI is reporting 2 hours... then the average game playing time could be 3 1/2.

Nobody rushes through games like reviewers. Nobody believes playtime count from Devs.

I think alot of gamers aside from the core enthusiasts play at a very moderate pace when it comes to playtime completion. However, I expect alot of people finishing this one right when they were getting in the groove...

NYR94

Well, whaddya know, those of us who can analyze what's shown to us and make rational, informed assumptions free of fanboy-fueled self-delusion turned out to be right.

Pathetic practise from Kojima and Konami.

Common sense usually ends up being pretty reliable in these situations. I remember the same thing back in 2003 when the first MGS3 trailer came out. Kojima made it obvious that it was set in the 60s. New era. People still insisted that the player character was Solid Snake. People will believe what they want to believe.

Chinner

Banned
Very interesting Kojima interview in the issue. Basically talks about how he got into gaming and how he is stuck being the Metal Gear guy. He claims he does not want to be known as that man, he claims he doesnt have much time left cause he is 50 so he wants to write a list of all he wants to do before he dies and make sure he does it which includes writing a novel and making a movie.

He claims he likes simple stories, ironically. He said he always tries to make a simple story. He says he wont let series canon hinder him from telling the story he wants so if he has to contradict a few things he will.

There was a comparison of him and James Cameron with Aliens where that franchise was handed off after Alien and it was successful. Kojima said his situation is more like Terminator where if he left it would become a mess. He claims he has had no success in passing the torch which implies he has tried. There is a lot about Japanese culture and how he doesn't relate to any Japanese developers anymore except Platinum Games.

What I found most interesting is his talk about GTA and Konami. Remember that GTA tweet about how amazing an open world it was and how he was jealous. Well he says he is jealous of Rockstar that they are able to pump all their resources into making the game they desire. He says he can't do that, he still needs to work with Konami and partner on different projects and make sure things are balanced for Konami as a whole.

He says he just got into Breaking Bad and he is pissed cause he wasnt the one to come up with that story, he wants to tell that kind of story. He says if he pitched a story like that to Konami they would probably say no. He also loved Gravity, loved how simple it was and he says trying to create a game that simple would be hard with Konami. He says that movie really impacted him, making something out of the ordinary a big success and is jealous of it as a creator, says it stirred something in him.

He talks about how he is close friends with Guillermo Del Toro, says he would like to work with him one day.

so basically, konami has got him locked in the basement churning out metal gear games? just as we suspected really, tis a shame but not surprising considering the current state of konami.

RulkezX

I really want this to bomb hard so no one else tries it for a while , sadly I think the franchise is still popular enough to shift units through fans and the ill informed.

Top Bottom