• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer preview on Xenoblade Chronicles X

skypunch

Banned
Monolith Soft Goes Big And Aims Higher With Its Open-World RPG

Game Informer recently went hands-on with Xenoblade Chronicles X and published an in-depth preview of the game.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/xenoblade_chronicles_x/b/wii_u/archive/2015/09/29/xenoblade-chronicles-x-feature-preview-game-informer.aspx?utm_content=bufferf0300&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

When JRPGs were struggling to evolve last generation, Xenoblade Chronicles came along and showed the genre still had a few tricks up its sleeve. It earned plenty of praise as one of the best role-playing games of last generation, currently holding a 92 score on Metacritic. Monolith Soft proved it could create a compelling world and innovate in the genre, thanks to its creative design and MMO-style combat.

Its successor, Xenoblade Chronicles X, doesn't just switch it up to an extensive sci-fi setting; it expands the scope of everything, building upon the solid foundation set by its predecessor. I recently spent five hours with the game, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. If you thought Xenoblade Chronicles was big, you will be surprised just how much Xenoblade Chronicles X dwarfs it - and that's not even mentioning the extensive customization or Skells (mechs) that further enhance the experience. 

Send me to Skell if old.

rjinaz

Between Fallout in November and this game in December, I'm pretty sure this is as great as gaming is ever going to be for me. Can't wait.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I really need to finish up Metal Gear so that I can clear out time during the holidays for this. It comes out in December so I'll have lots of time between Christmas and New Years to dig in.

Man, I wanna love this game cause I love Xenogames and am a total sucker for epic sci-fi, but...I hear the story is lackluster? Kinda insane to drop the ball on plot in a JRPG.

rhandino

Banned
"it expands the scope of everything"

Except the bare bones story.
From what I read in the OT and other sites the main story is kind of short compared to the previous game but they greatly expanded the story put on the sidequests...

Unison

I loved the last game, so I'm on board... but weren't Japanese impressions of the game somewhat tepid? I seem to remember a lot of complaints that all of the side quests were the same...

If that's not the case, I'll start getting more hyped again!

Vecks

I guess I missed the memo, but DLC characters will be free in the west? Not complaining, but that is surprising.

Nanashrew

Banned
From what I read in the OT and other sites the main story is kind of short compared to the previous game but they greatly expanded the story put on the sidequests...

Right, the idea is behind exploration and colonizing so it makes sense to put quite a bit of story out there. Xenoblade Chronicles escalates upward while Xenoblade X expands outward. StreetsAhead keeps getting me more hyped for the game.

Dice//

Banned
I guess I missed the memo, but DLC characters will be free in the west? Not complaining, but that is surprising.

Ain't it great? :D

Anyways, I'm a bit worried about the sort of open-ended story, really hope we hear something about a continuation of some sort soon (because...y'know the sooner the better since it'll be a year before we see it).

hawk2025

I'm a bit skittish on reading too many details -- but does this have Chronicles' Affinity system as well, both between characters and residents of towns?

That made the towns in the game so much better.

Riki

I'm a bit skittish on reading too many details -- but does this have Chronicles' Affinity system as well, both between characters and residents of towns?

That made the towns in the game so much better.
Yes and it's expanded and better.

there was a Spoiler thread that has not been bumped for a few months now
I had forgotten all the story spoilers it is time to refresh with a new Spoiler thread if previews are going to be a thing for the next 60 days

can't wait for December

Oddish1

The game sounds promising. There's a weird amount of negativity around it considering impressions have been largely positive.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Man, I wanna love this game cause I love Xenogames and am a total sucker for epic sci-fi, but...I hear the story is lackluster? Kinda insane to drop the ball on plot in a JRPG.

Man, opinions and all that, but I can count the number of JRPGs I've played with stories I'd consider good on one hand.

Being a bit shorter (the main story line) but having more optional content sounds good. Xenoblade was already like 70 hours long without doing everything.

Marche90

Didn't Kotaku say it was boring and didn't have much story?

Iirc it was Richard Einsberg who previewed the game and didn't really loved it, but at least he didn't said that it was outright a bad game. I think Kotaku's one of the few western sites who don't really have a reviewer that liked at least the original game (Jason hates it, for example)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
My body is fucking ready

X gonna give it to ya
iSlL7UW.gif

The game sounds promising. There's a weird amount of negativity around it considering impressions have been largely positive.

people were upset that they did not give us a main character like Shulk

some negativity about X are just fans like me who are still salty that DOLLS is now SKELLZ
:/

others are from knowing how it ends

I hope the base game is better than all of that
300 hours is a lot of time to give to 1 game so you have to love it to jump in

like I said we will need a major spoiler thread because you can watch the whole play through on youtube so preview threads are just western media's take on the game

Nanashrew

Banned
people were upset that they did not give us a main character like Shulk

some negativity about X are just fans like me who are still salty that DOLLS is now SKELLZ
:/

others are from knowing how it ends

I hope the base game is better than all of that
300 hours is a lot of time to give to 1 game so you have to love it to jump in

like I said we will need a major spoiler thread because you can watch the whole play through on youtube so preview threads are just western media's take on the game

I actually hope I'm spending an even longer time than 300 hours because that's what I put into Xenoblade Chronicles. Judging by all the stuff you can do in X, I likely will be able to surpass that.

skypunch

Banned
Reminder that some outlets already have revviews up too.

Yes, but the reviews are of the Japanese version of the game. You get a more wholesome experience of a game if it's in your native language than if it's in a language you know only so well.

hatchx

Banned
My hype kind of died for this game after it came out in Japan, but it's slowly rising again. Just looks like an awesome game to pick-up, play, and explore.

I actually hope I'm spending an even longer time than 300 hours because that's what I put into Xenoblade Chronicles. Judging by all the stuff you can do in X, I likely will be able to surpass that.

yup 300 here too on Xenoblade last time I booted up Wii mode on Wii U

I think I'll go download the eShop version on my Wii U and see if my save file still works with it

I have the disc but I just want an excuse to play more lol

Top Bottom