• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Resident Evil 7's Producer spills his guts (on why RE7 is a RE game)

Jawmuncher

We played the same game. I don't buy the "you were doing it wrong" argument; this isn't rocket science. I know how to do a melee attack. I did plenty of them when playing; you don't have a choice. There isn't enough ammo to play any other way. I find the idea of physically engaging almost every enemy to be really boring, repetitive and time consuming. There isn't some hidden strategy to enjoying this game. You either like it or you don't, and I just didn't. It doesn't matter how flashy the wrestling moves are or how fluidly you can chain attacks together, the pacing and level design were still abysmally bad.

The hit reactions are there, yes, but they're not nearly as pronounced as before. Compare what happens in RE4 and 5 when hitting different body parts; every shot counts, and just one bullet can radically change how the enemy stands and moves. Shoot an enemy in the arm to make them drop their axe, shoot them in the knee to make them kneel, then shoot them over to topple them; each shot has a dramatic effect. Does this happen to the same effect in RE6? Or do your shots mostly just pass through zombies like pudding? You can technically do the same things, but it's not nearly as clear cut or satisfying, and zombies do often just keep walking toward you through your shots with no reaction. The j'avo at least have mutations that occur, but I don't necessarily consider something that makes the enemy more annoying and time consuming to deal with to be a good reaction.

Let's refresh our memories.

Find me a single texture in the RE7 demo that looks as bad as these. And bear in mind the final game seems to be noticeably better looking than the demo. I played RE6 for the first time maxed out on PC, which is equal to or better than the PS4 remaster, and the textures weren't quite this bad but still totally unimpressive, even back in 2013. It has some flashy lighting when outdoors, but that surface glitz just barely masks how low quality the actual environments were. Forget RE7, RE5 looks better. I say that with no hesitation.

Level design and pacing is an entirely different beast from the gameplay itself. You answered it yourself though. Some people liked the gameplay changes, you obviously did not.

The hit reactions I just wanted to clarify are there. The funny thing is by RE5, people were complaining how exaggerated the hit reactions were. So they toned them down in RE6 so that they're still there, but don't stick out as much. Which apparently didn't work out since most people didn't know what to look for. It's obviously a problem, since more than just a few people have complained about the same thing. But it feels more like a "the reactions aren't to much liking" more than anything, just like the gameplay isn't to your liking.

Neff

I find the idea of physically engaging almost every enemy to be really boring, repetitive and time consuming. There isn't some hidden strategy to enjoying this game.

Except combining melee with timely and accurate use of firearms is, just like RE4, exponentially more efficient when it comes to resource economics, safety, and time invested in RE6.

If you don't want to do melee for whatever reason, that's your call, but you're complaining about a game not rewarding you for neglecting a crucially empowering, time-saving tool. And assuming it's actually going to make your game longer and duller in the process, which couldn't be more wrong.

Also considering there's a lot of mechanics the game straight up doesn't tell you either in-game or via manuals, I'd say there is quite a bit of hidden strategy.

Neoxon

It's weird, I've been intrigued by this game as of late, but I don't have the same losing-my-shit hype that I do for MvCI, BotW, or P5. I guess my curiosity & my older sister's hype may be enough for me to get the game come January.

Except combining melee with timely and accurate use of firearms is, just like RE4, exponentially more efficient when it comes to resource economics, safety, and time invested in RE6.

If you don't want to do melee for whatever reason, that's your call, but you're complaining about a game not rewarding you for neglecting a crucially empowering, time-saving tool. And assuming it's actually going to make your game longer and duller in the process, which couldn't be more wrong.

Also considering there's a lot of mechanics the game straight up doesn't tell you either in-game or via manuals, I'd say there is quite a bit of hidden strategy.

Should I go back and play RE6?

I tried getting into Leon's campaign twice, and both times I got to the train section and stopped because of the shitty QTEs and control being taken away from me constantly. As someone who has zero patience for those sorts of shenanigans, is there any reason to go back for a third try?

Jawmuncher

Should I go back and play RE6?

I tried getting into Leon's campaign twice, and both times I got to the train section and stopped because of the shitty QTEs and control being taken away from me constantly. As someone who has zero patience for those sorts of shenanigans, is there any reason to go back for a third try?

You can turn off the insta death QTEs now. I mean they're still there. But the automatically complete even if you miss them.

dlauv

I don't know why people are pretending like RE6's gunplay was anything good. That game is liked for its movement and counter system, which has comparatively niche appeal. All of the guns felt like peashooters.

I'm not excited about 7's gunplay if the demo is anything to go by, so I hope Polygon's article was correct.

Jawmuncher

I don't know why people are pretending like RE6's gunplay was anything good. That game is liked for its movement and counter system, which has comparatively niche appeal. All of the guns felt like peashooters.

I'm not excited about 7's gunplay if the demo is anything to go by, so I hope Polygon's article was correct.

I don't think anyone really said the gunplay was A+ but it's definitely not as bad as people make it out to be. It does it's job for the as you said the more important systems such as countering and what not.

I'm excited and enjoyed the demo, but I really hope we get some horrific and memorable monsters. I haven't seen many yet from the trailers I've seen. The monsters are probably my favorite part of resident evil in general.

I'm excited and enjoyed the demo, but I really hope we get some horrific and memorable monsters. I haven't seen many yet from the trailers I've seen. The monsters are probably my favorite part of resident evil in general.

I think the Moulded are amazing and a top tier addition to the series. The way it moves, sounds, attacks, enters the screen...so good.

Honestly, it sort of how I wish Uroboros was handled instead of it being delegated to just boss encounters and those weird excuses for zombies RE5 had in Missile Assembly.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think the Moulded are amazing and a top tier addition to the series. The way it moves, sounds, attacks, enters the screen...so good.

Honestly, it sort of how I wish Uroboros was handled instead of it being delegated to just boss encounters and those weird excuses for zombies RE5 had in Missile Assembly.

We won't really know the whole monster cast and how they play out until we know, but I agree the Molded I think while a bit similar in design to a few RE monsters, is the best interpretation of it. It's got the perfect blend of being humanoid, but distinctively non-human, it looks plant-like, but fleshy. It is just creepy to look at and its face has this uncanny thing going on where its kind of cute but it being kind of cute makes it creepier. The way it forms out of walls, floors, ceilings, and how it's slow, but also fast, lurches around but not too much and the sounds it makes...

I'm very fond of it. Both how it's kind of a hybrid of your 'zombie' unit and something more interesting and intimidating. It was a lot more intimidating and actually scared me in the demo when I wasn't really fully expecting it to. I'm interested to learn more about the Molded in general.

I'm happy I wasn't the only one who thought of Uroboros when I first saw it. It's the stringy, black goo aspect of it. It seems like a much more interesting combination of a an Ooze from Revelations and Uroboros, but with a plant theme mixed in, a much more terrifying face and decomposing body look, and with a lot more weight and presence in gameplay.

Basically, I'm a fan. Depending how the game handles them I may put them on the same level as Regenerators on my tier for enemies, they're in the same class of enemies and a bit alike but also very different. I think Regenerators have an advantage to be regenerating, a late-game enemy so can be more challenging, and their breathing sound. But Molded are creepy, especially surprising for the supposed 'weakest' monster in the game, and a prescence that's intimidating and maybe one of the scariest early game enemies in a RE game. They both also have some dynamic responses to losing limbs, though one regenerates (its in the name) and the other does not.

Jawmuncher

I'd be more impressed with the molded if we haven't had other creatures like it already. It's like a combination of a regenerator, leech man, and an ooze.

Hopefully the other molded are more interesting in their design.

kc44135

I'm looking forward to the game, and probably the most optimistic I've been towards it since it's reveal (which I admittedly reacted rather negatively to). I liked the demo in it's complete form, I like that the game is returning to classic series tropes like saves rooms, item boxes and the like, and I'm excited that RE7 looks to be returning the series to it's original focus on exploration and horror. However, I'm still maintaining a healthy amount of skepticism for a few reasons.

First off, to be perfectly honest, I feel like the series suffered a decline in quality over the last few games. I enjoyed 5 and 6 for what they were, but there was a very noticeable drop in quality going from 4 to 5, and especially 5 to 6. I'm hoping RE7 bucks this downward trend, but we'll have to wait and see. Also, this is Capcom's first crack at this new style of RE, and I think it's fair to suspect that it could be rough around the edges as a result. Finally, I'm still not sure how I feel about spending large portions of the game fleeing from unkillable enemies. I've enjoyed other games of that sort, but it's not really RE's style, and I'm not sure that's the sort of experience I want from RE.

All of that aside, yes, I'm mostly on board at this point. I'm hoping this game revitalizes this franchise, and leads to a new era of RE. I'm also hoping that, after this game is released, Capcom can finally show us something, anything, of REmake2. Please, Capcom?

Dusk Golem

I'd be more impressed with the molded if we haven't had other creatures like it already. It's like a combination of a regenerator, leech man, and an ooze.

Some leak spoilers about enemies, but
I'm morbidly curious about the 'Quick' Molded. You don't really move that fast in RE7 and the 'Slow' Molded already seems pretty fast to me. So I'm just imagining how that works, part of me hopes the Quick Molded might be making loud sounds as they run from a distance quickly narrowing the gap, and maybe can run along walls or something. I assume they look quite different, but very curious how they function. I'm wondering if the fact they can go in and out of mold on the walls plays a role with the quick Molded form? And of course, curious about the boss Molded.

The archetype is there, though in my opinion they're in the top tier of 'that' kind of RE monster.

kc44135

Yeah, I like the Molded, but I'm hoping that there's a decent amount of other enemy types in the full game.

Shredderi

Can't believe this is coming so soon. Only a little more and they can give themselves the permission to start talking about REmake2.

Yeah the molded look great, I just hope we get lots of others too. I haven't been following this as close as some of you but does the whole game as far as we know take place at the plantation? Really crossing my fingers for a spooky swamp or forest section around the plantation.

Dusk Golem

Yeah the molded look great, I just hope we get lots of others too. I haven't been following this as close as some of you but does the whole game as far as we know take place at the plantation? Really crossing my fingers for a spooky swamp or forest section around the plantation.
The Plantation Grounds, so the nearby areas like forests, swamps, and other areas are included. You do go out of the plantation confirmed by previews, and the Tape 3 trailer showed at some point you go
on a ship.

The Plantation Grounds, so the nearby areas like forests, swamps, and other areas are included. You do go out of the plantation confirmed by previews, and the Tape 3 trailer showed at some point you go
on a ship.

Thanks, I'm excited. The game seems to be shaping up well.

Lucent

So I was just watching someone play this in VR (the demo) and it was looking like an awesome way to play it at first, but then I saw the shortcuts they made with some things. Like when you turn the valve, your arms are disembodied. And when turning sometimes, they were quick jumps, and it was jarring. I really hope the final game makes this better. I want to really be immersed in VR.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
One of the things I am concerned about is replay value... we only know about a Madhouse mode, which is standard tougher difficulty level fare... but I'm pretty sure they've shut down any Mercenaries or Raid mode potential, so this looks pretty bare bones in that department.

I know there's talk of a few DLC stories, but not convinced it will have much in terms of longevity. I hope I'm wrong! I poured days of playtime into the RE5 Mercs mode.

Top Bottom