• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Resident Evil 7's Producer spills his guts (on why RE7 is a RE game)

Floex

Just imagine in other reality we would have got a true sequel to RE6 shootier, bigger,flashier, with more explosions and totally new graphics wank.

And this is why we can't have nice things.

I don't know how you can be a resi fan and say 6 was good.

This new take is giving the franchise a much needed kick up the arse.

Sesha

On a side note: I really hope RE6 fans get the stand-alone Mercenaries game they deserve. One that has RE6's combat mechanics and side modes, but expands on it by maybe having characters, enemies and levels from across the entire series. There's no reason to leave RE6's good ideas stuck in RE6.

Lulubop

Exactly, RE7 as a game seems to make so much sense. If the game is as promised, it seems like a nice mix of classic RE in a modern horror game.

Wanderer5

On a side note: I really hope RE6 fans get the stand-alone Mercenaries game they deserve. One that has RE6's combat mechanics and side modes, but expands on it by maybe having characters, enemies and levels from across the entire series. There's no reason to leave RE6's good ideas stuck in RE6.

I would be down for that. Merc 3D felt a bit lacking in content as a stand alone, but was still fun and would be great to see a much more fleshed out stand alone come around.

Pennywise

wait, what? is this true? so it's not about the baker family in the house?
They're part of it, just the gameplay segments from the demo and the VR demo aren't part of the game itself.
Watch the gameplay trailers.

But it clearly just copying what other popular horror games are doing, based on everything they have shown.

They did that before and will continue to do so.
However, they always had their foundation and own identity while taking influence from other games, movies, books.
Puzzles have been an essential part of the game, so was item managment and horror.
You could say the third person camera was another, but they'll decided to move away from it.
Like they did with Zombies in RE4.
It's really not a bad thing to get influenced by other things, but straight copying certain segments is not the way to go.

RE6 had nearly nothing in common with the series.
The third person and the characters, that have been reduced to one hell of a joke...
Apart from that, we've only seen over the top action and segments that could have been copied straight out of Gears of War for example, without being anywhere close to the class of the original.

I also like the approach that they barely showed anything. It's certainly a bit harder for us to get a proper impression with this big new step, but I also hate games being overexposed and shown with 100 billion trailers, where everything was already shown.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Looks like the writing will still have those Japanese elements at it's core, like the previous installments. Which is a good thing

While a bit of a shame the Spec-Ops writer only helped with tidying the story, I do admit RE having its Japanese-take-on-Western-Horror appeal is one reason I like the series. Actually one understated aspect of RE7 is it's one of the first first-person horror games of this type from Japan. One of my personal favorites of the kind (WhiteDay: A labyrinth named school) is from Korea, I'm interested how Capcom's RE team will tackle the design as I'm a person who takes interest in the differences of different regions game design philosophies and execution.

I think RE7 will be a good horror game, but won't be the kind of RE that I want. I would've been okay with either classic or modern over the shoulder RE games. But this? I'm not sure.

I've tried to like it but everything about it is just... uninteresting.

RE fans have vastly different tastes. There are some people like me who have zero interest in it and then there are fans who are 100% on board.

Different tastes is what makes it a tough cookie to really say what would be the 'best' direction to go forward with, but as someone who liked both the classics and action titles, I'm up for them trying something new.

I will say I do think many typify the first-person viewpoint due to popular association, I do think/hope RE7 will dispell some prejudgements about them.

I havent been keeping up with this game but are RE fans actually excited for it?

Very mixed response due to all sorts of different takes on elements of RE7.

However, people who got to play 3-5 hours of RE7 were absolutely glowing about it, so I do think it may be a game that catches on more as positive word of mouth spreads.

So damn excited for this!

Going in blind (Other than the demo), can't wait

Probably the best way to go about it, curious to hear your thoughts when the OT comes around. Less than a month to go.

Is it me but I don't want Resident Evil Lore to turn like Metal Gear Solid wise.

RE has the longest on-going video game narrative. Between the games, CG films, spin-offs, mangas, etc., there's over 20 canon entries in the RE series lore.

Mixed reaction it looks like. I've been a huge fan of the series but I never kept up with the spinoffs, mostly because they didn't interest me much. Thought Resident Evil 6 was the worst mainline entry by far and proof that they couldn't take their current formula any further, which is why I'm super excited about this new one. Injecting fresh blood into the series while digging deep into its roots so much that it harkens back to Sweet Home and the original Resident Evil with its intimate setting and puzzle solving, I think it's the coolest way to bring the original formula into the modern era. What Resident Evil means to people is hard to pinpoint because it's so different for each individual, but to me Resident Evil is about providing a cool-ass horror experience, and RE7 looks to be doubling down on the horror to the point it's actually scary again for the first time in two decades.

Most fans seem to be writing it off, though. Maybe it's the fact it's not the exact same thing as the original trilogy or it's just not the slick action of the last three, but whatever it is people seem apprehensive because it's "borrowing" from a few games, as if the first three never did that, or something. I don't know, the negative reaction confuses me unless people literally just like 4, 5, and 6. To me, Resident Evil 6 was not Resident Evil, mostly because it was just bad and I associate the name of the series with quality.

I think there's a lot of prejudgements about first-person horror as well. As someone who plays a lot of horror games, older and newer, I hope the stigma around them changes as there's so many hidden gems among them due to most people not paying attention to the scene.

I think RE7 will be a lot more than people expect it'll be, and have for a while.

I still kinda think that their reason to go this route is because they don't have the cash to do a huge production RE like before, so they did this and presented it as wanting to go back to the roots. I know that's super cynical of me, but if it ends up being for the better then all the better. Right now, I'm not sure though. I really need to see a spoilery review that tells me if it becomes more interesting midway through or something.

Cash might play a role, but this title also uses a whole new engine and they bought a whole studio building for it (and future projects) and professional actors to model and mocap with the new technology they bought for photogrammetry, so it really wasn't that inexpensive.

I've avoided the big transcript leak topic mostly, but it does sound from what I know we've seen less than a fifth of the game so far. Most everything we've seen is from (super light spoilers)
Chapter 3 & 4 of 10 chapters total.

, I think the final game will look far better than the Demo, wich is supposedly very old running on an early REngine version , the trailers look better at least.

Its very interesting tech

The Midnight Version of the demo notably updated character models some, but the demo was built earlier in development and it'll be interesting to see how the final game turns out. I do think it looks good for also aiming for consistant 60fps on PS4/Xbox One, though.

Looks great.

I think this game will surprise everybody with 90+ meta and the first GOTY content in 2017.

With the super positive previews all around and some outlets even saying the 3-5 hours they played of RE7 was one of the best gaming experiences they had in all of 2016, if the rest of the game is as good as the 3-5 hours they played we're looking at an easy 10/10 game, and some saying if it keeps it up its a serious GOTY contendor (and these three quotes from three seperate outlets, and all being very positive), I do think it has the potential to he a critical darling, and hopefuly surprises a lot of people.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
wait, what? is this true? so it's not about the baker family in the house?

It's the same universe, what that means is that the location of segments we played in the demo are not cut out from the main game. It's a separate thing. Think of it as the Ground Zeroes of RE7.

Wait, people are hating on this game just because it's first person??? I thought it made the game even scarier (or is the problem that everyone wants another RE4?). Straight up P.T. vibes playing the demo, and can't wait to have a whole game with that experience

I'm game. Bring it on Capcom.

Yep, I can definitely see this....

giphy.gif

My theory is that this game started as just a VR Demo with no intention whatsoever of being a RE, and after PT success and good reception of said demo they decided to make it the next RE.

And after playing the demo I really like where this is heading.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Wait, people are hating on this game just because it's first person??? I thought it made the game even scarier (or is the problem that everyone wants another RE4?). Straight up P.T. vibes playing the demo, and can't wait to have a whole game with that experience

Some people don't like FPS games, especially on consoles?

Only FPS game I ever really liked on a console was Metroid Prime, and that game played more like a 3rd person game than anything.

Sesha

A lot of people hate the perceived P.T. vibes.

But it's complicated. Some people want another RE, some want RE2, or RE3, or REmake, or RE4, or RE5, or RE6, or a AAA Revelations game, or The Last of Us, or Tomb Raider 2013/Rise of the, or The Evil Within. Very few want the same thing after 20 years and 12 mainline games. After RE6 the next mainline RE would be under a lot of scrutiny, but because RE7 is so different from what almost anyone expected, there's a lot of people that can't or won't like it.

Lulubop

My theory is that this game started as just a VR Demo with no intention whatsoever of being a RE, and after PT success and good reception of said demo they decided to make it the next RE.

And after playing the demo I really like where this is heading.

Still with these post? They've said multiple times this isn't the case. The demo isn't even apart of the game

A lot of people hate the perceived P.T. vibes.

But it's complicated. Some people want another RE, some want RE2, or RE3, or REmake, or RE4, or RE5, or RE6, or a AAA Revelations game, or The Last of Us, or Tomb Raider 2013/Rise of the, or The Evil Within. Very few want the same thing after 20 years and 12 mainline games. After RE6 the next mainline RE would be under a lot of scrutiny, but because RE7 is so different from what almost anyone expected, there's a lot of people that can't or won't like it.
Yeah I figure the issue is that people are just terrified by change and want another REmake, but if they want that game go buy/play that game. It's good that they're switching it back up and not just trying to recreate the last 3 games but with prettier graphics. I hope people that just have an issue with the view at least give it a fair chance before blowing it off

Some people don't like FPS games, especially on consoles?

Only FPS game I ever really liked on a console was Metroid Prime, and that game played more like a 3rd person game than anything.
This isn't Battlefield.... You don't need to have precision aiming to have a decent time

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Yeah I figure the issue is that people are just terrified by change and want another REmake, but if they want that game go buy/play that game. It's good that they're switching it back up and not just trying to recreate the last 3 games but with prettier graphics. I hope people that just have an issue with the view at least give it a fair chance before blowing it off

This isn't Battlefield.... You don't need to have precision aiming to have a decent time

It's not about having precision aiming , esp for resident evil 7. For me FPS games take me out the game, instead of becoming that character. I feel like I'm a pair of fists, or a floating gun.

Unless it's VR I prefer Third person for single player/action games. Multiplayer is another story.

Pennywise

People also tend to forget that we're actually getting a RE2 Remake after REmake was so popular.

So there is another option coming along. I can understand the part about change, I would still have tank controls in RE or fixed cameras, or even prerendered backrounds (for alot of games, I really like them).
It's necessary to have some change though, especially after such a long time and rather lackluster games with the latest two mainline entries.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That's not Persona 5

RE7 has had a lot of positive impressions from the people who've played 3-5 hours of the game. Here's a few.

A four hour demo of Resident Evil 7 is one of the best things I’ve played this year - GamesRadar
What I’ve played so far has been encouragingly strong, to the point where this could easily stand alone without the Resident Evil name as a great horror game. The fact that it still can with that name attached (and its connotations of a melon-biceped Chris Redfield fighting bone dinosaurs) probably says more. The four or five hours I’ve seen has actually been one of the best things I’ve played this year, riffing the series’ familiar values off the uncertainty of its newer ideas to create something unpredictable and, above all else, interesting.

If the rest of RE7 is as good as as the 4 hours we've played, you're looking at our next 10/10 game - Playstation Magazine UK

If the remaining hours are as consistent as the five I got to play, few games in 2017 will come close to touching it, horror or otherwise - PC Gamer

After my time with RE7, I'm excited - GameSpot

Genuinely the best Resident Evil experience I've had in a long time - Eurogamer

The most interesting & exciting horror game around - IGN
Resident Evil 7 displays both confidence and humility – a tricky blend to achieve. It hasn’t stubbornly ignored successful trends that have fuelled modern horror games – like the widespread shift to first-person – nor has it simply mind its own reservoir of images and characters to create new terrors. For the first time in years, the series has looked outside of itself and this has resulted in a meaningful evolution of the series. But this isn’t a departure, far from it; this is a homecoming. Resident Evil 7 breaks its recent traditions in order to better serve the original design. Once again, you’re alone in a sprawling gothic house, surrounded by terrible things, and you have to survive. It feels at once both old and new, familiar and unknown, and – for the first time in years – like the most interesting and exciting horror game around.

Taking the ingredients that have have made the franchise cherished and washing away its faults to make a delicious return back to survival-horror - Rely on Horror

kunonabi

First-person has the opposite effect on me. The perspective just completely takes me out of it. Alien: Isolation, Amnesia, White Day, Outlast, P.T., etc I've tried a bunch of different first person horror games and they don't work for me. I find the first person camera to be too clunky and limiting compared to letting a talented developer guide the experience and manipulate the player as they see fit.

Daeoc

Going into this game without acknowledging it is being called Resident Evil. If it was called something else, I'd still play it, and if it was called something else, I wouldn't have known it was RE. After playing it this might change, this is just how I feel before release. With an entirely new cast of characters and change of perspective, there needs to be strong story connections with the rest of the main series, else it should've been labeled as a spin off.

Lulubop

Going into this game without acknowledging it is being called Resident Evil. If it was called something else, I'd still play it, and if it was called something else, I wouldn't have known it was RE. After playing it this might change, this is just how I feel before release. With an entirely new cast of characters and change of perspective, there needs to be strong story connections with the rest of the main series, else it should've been labeled as a spin off.
Smh

gagecube

Banned
My parents paid off my preorder for christmas, so I'm in the waiting game. I for one am pumped. The last RE game i played was RE4 on the Gamecube

Azzanadra

I personally am all for it- granted, I have only played one Resident Evil game (REmake) and I loved it, and this basically seems like the first game but with modern horror game mechanics.

It seems like your response to the game will depend on what "era" of the franchise you are from- the fan favorite is clearly 4 so a lot of people probably wanted the second coming of RE4, whereas people who preferred the earlier entries might be more positive to this one.

adamsapple

Is it true that none of the teaser trailers are apart of the game?

the scenes and segments in the trailers ? yes they're from the game...

everything in the demo is separate from the content in the main game though.

gagecube

Banned
No. Who told you that lol? Someone's lying to you.

GI said:
GI: So far all the teasers and demos we've seen haven't been from the actual game, causing confusion from fans about how the game will play. Why has there been so much secrecy about the game and why did you choose to present it this way?

Asking based off of the above quote

adamsapple

Asking based off of the above quote

the demos part of the quote is right, they probably lumped in 'teasers' there to make a sentence, but all the trailers we've seen with the bakers and all that footage is from the main game.

there's previews of sites playing 3, 4 hours of the game from recent preview events which features the baker family dinner scene in them.

CloudNein

They've had to have spent a good bit of time playing Alien Iso. They hinted at it in the questions, but it's the closest thing we have to the new game.

I think it's going to be one of the best games of the generation. This serie has always been the king of its genres. The old RE games are unmatched in that style of survival horror games. RE4 is the greatest action game ever made. And I think RE7 is going to blow away any of these modern first person horror games away and show them what it looks like when they have great pacing, level design and enemy variety.

Top Bottom