• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer staff hit with layoffs

HeresJohnny

Good. Riddance. He was the one who propagated ReeeEra in this ion fury debacle. Maybe he can ask for some free money from 3Drealms, I hear they are pretty generous this time of year.
I did not know this. Was feeling bad for the guy but now he can go have sex with himself.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
People in this thread wishing people will lose their jobs

Fuck you, you piece of human shitbag. Just because you dont agree with what they write means they should lose their work?

Jesus christ the worst human shitstains reside here, not on the sites that gaffers seem to bust a nut about when they hear about another firing round.

My god people have some empathy for fucks sake. If you feel yourself better than one of these writers, just because u dont agree thats fine but wanting them to lose income is just appalling imo.

Just as bad as the REEEEEE crowd when they go after a person for writing something they dislike.

Some of you dont see your just as bad?

That Imran Khan guy seems like a cunt though

No one here is going after anyone though. People like Imran used their position to attack gaming companies and push through their own agendas. I don't wish the dude any harm and would never call for him to be fired, but I can't say I am exactly sad to see him go.

My company is going through a layoff period now so I know dealing with that sucks. It looks like he bounced back quickly and got a job at another site, so good for him.

TrainedRage

Banned
They brought this on themselves. The magazine has been dropping in quality for years. So many political opinions now. Push for SJW values. Whamen in gaming features. Like 6 pages only of reviews and previews.

It's a glorified advertising magazine with some social justice virtue signaling sprinkled on top.

Fuck em. I could do most of their jobs part time after I get off my regular job.

NahaNago

They brought this on themselves. The magazine has been dropping in quality for years. So many political opinions now. Push for SJW values. Whamen in gaming features. Like 6 pages only of reviews and previews.

It's a glorified advertising magazine with some social justice virtue signaling sprinkled on top.

Fuck em. I could do most of their jobs part time after I get off my regular job.

The responses to some of the mail would be quite vicious as well if I remember right.

Aretak

Fuck you, you piece of human shitbag. Just because you dont agree with what they write means they should lose their work?

Jesus christ the worst human shitstains reside here, not on the sites that gaffers seem to bust a nut about when they hear about another firing round.

My god people have some empathy for fucks sake. If you feel yourself better than one of these writers, just because u dont agree thats fine but wanting them to lose income is just appalling imo.

Just as bad as the REEEEEE crowd when they go after a person for writing something they dislike.

These people's jobs had no value to begin with. They should count their blessings that they managed to steal a living for as long as they did, whilst simultaneously abusing that position to make other people's lives worse. In a just world they'd be flipping burgers, as their talent level merits. Maybe now they'll have to. Fuck them and fuck you.

TrainedRage

Banned
The responses to some of the mail would be quite vicious as well if I remember right.
They almost always give some passive aggressive reply to any mail that is even slightly negative.

I'm fine with them not existing. It would be great to see a new gaming magazine.

xool

They almost always give some passive aggressive reply to any mail that is even slightly negative.

tbh videogame journalists have always abused their power (right to publish a reply) like that since they were first invented .. I can remember as far back as Crash (~1982) and AmigaPower (early 1990s) .. somethings never change .. and I can remember them being far worse in the past [edit - their usual defense is that "it's in fun" .. if people don't like it]

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member

While I would never wish someone to lose their livelihood, this is a person who revels in others losing theirs because he disagrees with them. Typical cancel culture follower. Soapboxing about empathy isn't really appropriate when talking about someone who has shown on more than one occasion that they don't have any empathy of their own.

Also, when it comes to layoffs there are two groups that tend to get cut first. People who are highly paid for a position and could be replaced with a lower paid individual, or someone who isn't as valuable contributor as others on the team. He's not likely the former, so I'm guessing he was the latter.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned

If they're good enough they'll find a new job then no? I hope you lose your job btw.

Last edited:

Caffeine

I'm sorry they lost their jobs, but if they really think this situation came "without prior warning" ... they haven't been paying attention.
ye gamestop has been doing bad for over a year and a half now and they are a subsidiary idk how they couldnt see that a mile away and lined up new jobs else where.

Last edited:

PSlayer

I'm sorry people have to pass trough this, but It's clear this is a dying industry and people should really start evaluating the possibility of finding something else. Either become a youtuber/podcaster or a totally new career.

Last edited:
It may not be GI's fault, but someone should have at least given these folks some warning if possible. Then again, perhaps the writing was on the wall, as it surely is now for those who are still on staff.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Ben Hansen just announced that he’s leaving Game Informer.

Sounds like he resigned. Maybe saw the writing on the wall.

I’ll miss him on the podcast, I liked his positive personality. I might even unsubscribe as he was probably the main reason I listened to it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. Ben Hanson leaving at this point means it's basically all over, not to be dismissive of the rest of the staff still there.

joe_zazen

I’ll miss him on the podcast, I liked his positive personality. I might even unsubscribe as he was probably the main reason I listened to it.

he is leaving for that sweet sweet patreon monies. I think he’ll do fine as he has a sense of humour and good presence. Minnmax is his new thang.

Last edited:

brap

Banned

Goddamn everybody's jumping ship. RIP GI. I'll miss Ben Handsome.

he is leaving for that sweet sweet patreon monies. I think he’ll do fine as he has a sense of humour and good presence. Minnmax is his new thang.
Damn, all by ex-gi guys. nice.

naw, the guy who sounds kinda gay is taking over hosting and he is ace.
Leo?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its dying because the coverage is just trash these days.

Back in the day, you bought a games mag, and it had literally dozens of reviews in it. There was actually a steady amount of content to browse often about games you were unaware of. It was all pretty shallow and disposable stuff, but then again so are most games really. The key thing was the volume and breadth of titles covered that ensured it appealed to a broad spectrum of the readership.

These days most sites do a handful of reviews a month and pad out the rest with "news" articles that are either re-worded PR releases of some sort of click-bait based on whatever's controversial. Some sites do longer-form pieces admittedly but they tend to be few and far between.

To add insult to injury there is the constant proselytizing about politics and culture, which thanks to its inherently divisive and partisan nature is always going to turn off as many readers as those it appeal to. Especially as the extent of the diversity in the polarity runs the gamut between progressive, and painfully progressive.

How could this possibly fail... /facepalm.

The way I see it, they'd do much better by simply offering broad spectrum coverage, but keeping it short and snappy (think capsule reviews) and free of editorializing and polemical crap. Most people are interested in scores, not what the reviewer had for lunch that day.

If individuals writers want to talk about that sort of stuff, give them blogs. Because by trying to do both they are simply getting in their own way.

More games come out each month these days than at any time in gaming history. Even if the site is tied down to a particular platform there are weekly releases on digital storefronts, and if not there's literally a ludicrous amount of stuff constantly coming out once you factor in PC and mobile. There is more than enough content within the ecosystem to support such an approach.

And the best part is that its the antithesis of the loose, but long-form coverage that youtubers, streamers and the like offer.

duegguek

Neo Member
Now that GI is going away, where do you guys go for game articles? I'm looking for a good magazine / site with written reviews and articles for video games/

Most game journalists seem like weak people. Like I love. Ryan mcafre from ign but I think if id met him I would be disgusted in 10 min. They all seem like sjw pushing kids

Roufianos

Most game journalists seem like weak people. Like I love. Ryan mcafre from ign but I think if id met him I would be disgusted in 10 min. They all seem like sjw pushing kids

Ryan is one of the few people at IGN who actually interacts with Colin Moriarty so I doubt he's that much of an SJW.

Top Bottom